Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I made so that train leaves with 7900 coal and 0 coal. Train fits normally 8k but ammo takes off some space. I put in filters to unload only ammo and coal, depending on station. It even seems to work.

Thanks for the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
How's the multiplayer in this? My co-op group is looking for another game to add to the rotation.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

How's the multiplayer in this? My co-op group is looking for another game to add to the rotation.

Identical to single player in function and form. I had a very good time in a two player game not that long ago. It's especially fun because you'll get to know your partner(s) and their factory planning style fast, especially if your philosophies are different.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Good and stable, even if you do silly things like trying to cram over 200 players on a server.
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-302

e:looks like the record is 521 players now

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 28, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ihmemies posted:

I made so that train leaves with 7900 coal and 0 coal. Train fits normally 8k but ammo takes off some space. I put in filters to unload only ammo and coal, depending on station. It even seems to work.

e; disregard. I missed the coal filtering inserters right behind the first wagon

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 28, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

e; disregard. I missed the coal filtering inserters right behind the first wagon

It took me some time to figure it out. Of course the non-filtering ones unloaded the ammo as I loaded into the wagon. So I have to unload it with filtering inserters which move only coal. Not great, maybe I should move on to lasers.

Fluids are not very easy. It was easy when I converted oil to petroleum. But balancing these light and heavy oils and petroleum is not fun... Usage needs to be constant, otherwise the process grinds to a halt.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you don’t care about wasting resources, slap a few tanks to buffer the resources, then periodically empty them to keep the process going.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's really only two things to consider when it comes to advanced oil processing:
1. Lube only comes from heavy oil
2. Cracking goes one way (heavy->light->gas)
(2.5. You don't need light oil/solid fuel until you're at the rocketry stage of the game)

So first make sure you have enough lube. Only convert heavy->light if you've got enough. This could be just manually switching the lube plant on/off or controlled via circuits/pumps (tip: this doesn't need to be more complicated than a wire going from a tank to a pump). Until you're gearing up to launch the rocket, you can safely convert all light oil to gas. This process will grind to a halt when you're full on gas, which is only a problem if you don't have enough lube. But if you're full of gas, you're probably just not making enough plastic.

Solving endgame rocket fuel is pretty much the same except you divert light oil (light to solid is more efficient than heavy or gas to solid) to produce solid fuel and rocket fuel, and only crack light->gas when you've got enough light buffered to keep that process running. For this you probably do want to figure out circuit pumps. It's not necessary at all but it gives you a degree of control that will help you find the bottlenecks or overflows in the system.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

It took me some time to figure it out. Of course the non-filtering ones unloaded the ammo as I loaded into the wagon. So I have to unload it with filtering inserters which move only coal. Not great, maybe I should move on to lasers.

Fluids are not very easy. It was easy when I converted oil to petroleum. But balancing these light and heavy oils and petroleum is not fun... Usage needs to be constant, otherwise the process grinds to a halt.

Yeah oil dead locking when backed up used to kill me, then I found this masterpiece:

As I usually lag very much on setting up mass use of lubricant like blue belts or science etc or mass plastic production thus a petro sink, I also set up a secondary set of chemical plants: these produce solid fuel from light oil if my petroleum tank is over 70% full I then plumb the solid fuel to my boilers, supplanting coal (though the belt will still supply coal if my oil use shuts down the solid fuel production)

And beaten while fighting with imgur. As said above me, it's all about keeping the heavy to lube and petro to plastic flowing. Find an outlet there somewhere if your use doesn't outpace crude refining.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 28, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I slap down the perfect ratio for petroleum: 8 refineries doing advanced, 2 heavy to light, 7 light to petrol. All that pumps into three oil tanks so I can check if anything is running out. As needed I tack on extra plants to deal with whatever else I need, such as sulfur, lube or solid fuel and just eyeball the oil tanks every so often.

Sure I could circuit it to be totally automated, but usually by the time I have the downtime to optimize stuff my base is so big I got access to several oil fields so I just saturate everything.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ihmemies posted:

You got on the simple solution that we recommend so youre not off base at all.

What I do is I have one 1-2 train that's only ammo and light oil fuel, doing endless circles to all the outposts I have. Different home stations. Shared station at the outposts, but inserters won't fill a tanker and the cargo wagon is all reserved for ammo so that won't get filled either.

Lasers will never have the DPS of guns and flamethrowers but they are simpler logistically

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lasers have a little more range so it all kinda balances out. None of it works without flamethrowers anyways, the lasers and gun turrets are just there for cleanup.

So either way you're gonna have to deliver ammo to your defenses. The only difference is whether you want to make uranium ammo or power the lasers.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Ihmemies posted:

It's really not that hard. Put all 3 outputs into tanks, set up systems that do heavy and light oil cracking. Green or red wire a heavy oil tank to a pump feeding heavy oil cracking. Set it to activate if Heavy oil is >24000. A storage tank has a capacity of 25000, so this will stop it from just sitting there full jamming up your refining. Doesn't matter if you have multiple tanks, if you're just reading off one and they're all connected they'll be about the same level. Do the same basic thing for light oil. This isn't the 100% perfect and optimal way for all situations, but it will work since you're virtually never going to be held up by an excess of petroleum gas.

There's a lot of simple and effective stuff you can do with circuits, and now is a good time to start learning it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

K8.0 posted:

There's a lot of simple and effective stuff you can do with circuits, and now is a good time to start learning it.

there are also some wildly complicated things you can do with circuits in factorio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28UzqVz1r24

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks for all the help. I had a similar design already based on a memory of Yama Kara's refinery from his Pasta factory series. I forgot how to arrange the pumps and lines precisely but that image will help. I will do the setup as in the diagram and it should work well then.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is there a mod that alllows you to skip the tedium of early game and get right into teh harder logistics issues of factorio or even krastorio 2? I want to gently caress around with trains and intermediates but my fingers will combust if I have to lay out a bunch of burner inserters to do it

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

xzzy posted:

I slap down the perfect ratio for petroleum

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLUEPRINT INTO THE FACTORY. IT'S THE PERFECT RATIO FOR PETROLEUM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START PLACING THE BUILDINGS ALONGSIDE MY CONSTRUCTOR BOTS. I PLACE EVERY PIPE AND I PLACE THEM HARD. MAKIN BEEPING SOUNDS WHEN I RUN OUT OF WIRES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP A CIRCUIT CONDITION. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY'VE BUILT A MEGAFACTORY ON NAUVIS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO THE BITERS ATTACKING MY BASE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE BITERS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE SCIENCE PACK RATIOS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING THEM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
cracking oil when necessary was the first thing I did with circuits in factorio. the second, of course, was making a belt that played the theme song of the legend of heroes: trails in the sky as an iron plate went across it

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Solumin posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLUEPRINT INTO THE FACTORY. IT'S THE PERFECT RATIO FOR PETROLEUM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START PLACING THE BUILDINGS ALONGSIDE MY CONSTRUCTOR BOTS. I PLACE EVERY PIPE AND I PLACE THEM HARD. MAKIN BEEPING SOUNDS WHEN I RUN OUT OF WIRES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP A CIRCUIT CONDITION. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY'VE BUILT A MEGAFACTORY ON NAUVIS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO THE BITERS ATTACKING MY BASE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE BITERS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE SCIENCE PACK RATIOS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING THEM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Solumin posted:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sooo about robots.. I understand I can ghost plan or use blueprints to imagine what I want. Then I can make a roboport and stuff some robots inside. Then the robots will fetch items from passive provider chests and build my poo poo so I don't need to?

So I can automatically manufacture parts like belts, inserters, splitters, rail, assemblers etc. and robots will go pick them from a provider chest in range of a roboport and build my stuff?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Sooo about robots.. I understand I can ghost plan or use blueprints to imagine what I want. Then I can make a roboport and stuff some robots inside. Then the robots will fetch items from passive provider chests and build my poo poo so I don't need to?

So I can automatically manufacture parts like belts, inserters, splitters, rail, assemblers etc. and robots will go pick them from a provider chest in range of a roboport and build my stuff?

Construction robots will do exactly that, yes. Factorio is all about increasing levels of automation. Eventually expanding your base will mean designing blueprints that you can efficiently stamp down en mass and leave your robots to build while you do something else. Probably fixing all the stuff that broke in the last version of the blueprint you stamped down.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice. I used worldedit a ton in Minecraft and always hated doing things manually. Manually doing stuff hasn't been that bad yet in Factorio, but I'd like to standardize designs. Ideally even mining outposts will be standardized so robots will do their thing for me.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 29, 2022

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

As mentioned previously, once you unlock blueprints they're available from the start in every game afterwards. You won't have construction bots from the start, of course, but you can still lay out blueprints on a new map. So blueprint everything in your current game, save it to your library, and you can start new games with a better degree of planning. You can always delete/update the blueprints if you come up with better designs.

IMO the most important things to have blueprinted are:

-Solar/accumulator array
-Nuclear power, if you use that
-Smelters at various stages of the game (iron/copper, steel, brick, and electric/beaconed versions)
-Belt balancers
-Oil refining
-Rail network

Second tier blueprints that you'll use a lot but aren't as essential:
-Circuits (green/red/blue) - both early/midgame versions and beaconed moduled versions
-Plastic
-Defenses

Debatable:
-Mall
-Labs

But really just blueprint and save anything you find yourself taking a long time to design or using more than once.

In related news I'm finally starting to upload stuff from my city block system as I get it cleaned up. Starting with the solar block.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you start messing with blueprints, make sure to go into options and enable steam cloud sync on them.. for some reason it's not enabled by default. Nothing hurts more than starting up on a fresh install, loading your game, and your library of time savers is not there.

They can be recovered if you have your old hard drive, but it's easier if they're in the cloud along with your saves.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

Imo it's even more fun in multiplayer than singleplayer

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

VostokProgram posted:

Imo it's even more fun in multiplayer than singleplayer

Especially if one player embraces left hand drive trains while another does right hand drive! Train spaghetti is a special layer of hell.

My only criticism with multiplayer is that if you hit a place where you're struggling to clear nests, equipping everybody for the push can be resource intensive and a slog. But for the most part if you're aggressive that's not an issue!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Impermanent posted:

is there a mod that alllows you to skip the tedium of early game and get right into teh harder logistics issues of factorio or even krastorio 2? I want to gently caress around with trains and intermediates but my fingers will combust if I have to lay out a bunch of burner inserters to do it

There are mods that make you start with power armor, a personal roboport and some drones to help speed along the early building process.

I don't know about any that start with some techs researched, or that interface with the expenses tech tree mods though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Could always just spawn in enough science packs or command-complete the techs to get past the early game if you really want to start at a mid-tech level. Or use one of the many creative mode/overseer-type mods and just build RTS style (then remove the mod to go back to normal gameplay).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you have a specific request It would take me about 30 minutes to write a mod that gives you power armor and unlocks a list of techs on game start.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

Especially if one player embraces left hand drive trains while another does right hand drive! Train spaghetti is a special layer of hell.

This is me and my friend right now. The west side is mostly my work with standard train loops between stations and such. The east side is mostly his work and features double headed trains with no automated refueling.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rosalie_A posted:

... no automated refueling.

Hissssssssss

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Nice. I used worldedit a ton in Minecraft and always hated doing things manually. Manually doing stuff hasn't been that bad yet in Factorio, but I'd like to standardize designs. Ideally even mining outposts will be standardized so robots will do their thing for me.

I have a blueprint that's a giant square of miners with belts attached. It's ideal for quickly setting up an outpost. Then I have a train station blueprint, and more for defenses if I'm playing with biters. All that's left is hooking it up to the train network and sorting out the belts between the miners and the station.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solumin posted:

I have a blueprint that's a giant square of miners with belts attached. It's ideal for quickly setting up an outpost. Then I have a train station blueprint, and more for defenses if I'm playing with biters. All that's left is hooking it up to the train network and sorting out the belts between the miners and the station.

Realizing that a miner blueprint will only stamp miners that will actually mine something was a galaxy brain moment for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Realizing that a miner blueprint will only stamp miners that will actually mine something was a galaxy brain moment for me.

But it'll still place belts and power poles. Which isn't that big of a deal, but is kinda sloppy. Not sure it's reasonable to ask them to change the behavior though, how is the game supposed to know what belts you do and don't want?

But it would be nice. :v:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

But it'll still place belts and power poles. Which isn't that big of a deal, but is kinda sloppy. Not sure it's reasonable to ask them to change the behavior though, how is the game supposed to know what belts you do and don't want?

Trimming the ends off with a deconstruction planner is easy enough

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

xzzy posted:

That's easy enough, actually. You can place blueprints so that they overlap with existing buildings and ghosts, as long as the blueprint lines up with the buildings. This lets you only place miners, belts and poles that are actually used. Plus, by the time I'm using the blueprint, the ore patches are huge, much bigger than the blueprint, which makes this even easier.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Solumin posted:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm going to plug Actual Craft Times Remade, which is pretty much what I was looking for as far as Satisfactory-style simple production rates. It doesn't replace Factory Planner or Rate Calculator but fills its own niche very nicely.

5:2:3 ratio of plants to make early plastic in Nullius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

So I was playing the game tonight, prepping my pseudo-megabase to be torn down so I can build a true megabase, and I suddenly noticed that my secondary power armor is gone from my inventory somehow. I looked all around, in every chest I could find, and it seems to just be gone. I know it can't have been destroyed, so it has to be somewhere. But looking back through saves it seems to have been gone for a few dozen hours. Is there a tool somewhere out there that would help me find it? Or even something that can scan a save file to verify that it's lying around somewhere?

edit: not a few dozen hours, I had a brain fart. But it's been gone for somewhere around 10 though, which is still not good. I've been manually transferring large amounts of poo poo to prep the base, so I could even have accidentally clicked on it while putting stuff on a train. Only silver lining to this is I'm about to raze everything to the ground and send it to storage chests, so if it somehow ended up on a belt I might find it in the logistics network, eventually.

Prettz fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 1, 2022