Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Man, illness kinda takes away the will to keep playing your colony if it hits early on, doesn't it?
Yeah it's actually a rather brutal event and it's one of the big balancing factors of the lusher biomes. ... At least in theory anyway, seeing how arid bushland is low disease and great biodiversity but hey. :shrug:

Because I'm a wuss who mostly prefers colonists dying by punching mortar shells while pissed off in battle I've wound up using the boosted immunity precept from Alpha Memes. +50% immunity gain means colonists will still be laid up for a day or three but won't really be at risk of dying by disease or infection unless they're completely untreated or have damaged liver/kidneys. You can probably just do something similar by boosting the immunity gain stat in the scenario settings but that's global and would also affect prisoners and animals and the like too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

No fecal waste nearby -10

No one likes your scatter plot art

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol the Vanilla Expanded mod collection - specifically, Factions Expanded - Medieval - add an item of clothing that just flat out remove your pawns' ability to learn anything

i'm not sure if this was a recent change but yeah, probably want to filter the jester's outfit out of your custom clothing assignments. definitely feels like something from the vanilla game, absolutely.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

vanilla expanded is for the most part pretty bad. it adds SHITTONS of stuff and most of it could either be a single item or doesn't do anything cool, or even worse, isn't balanced at all

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i remember there was someone making a mod to fix these issues but i don't remember the name and it was abandoned.
the thing i remember most distinctly is that it fixed vanilla expanded fishing to go from having 3500 different fish species and replaced them with "Fish"

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I still need to do that "just gently caress my poo poo up" run where I install EVERY vanilla expanded mod and just see how god awful it is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

There's some modules that are fine. You really need to look into what they add they don't seem to go back and retool older more dated content to mesh with their newer stuff. So you get this change is how they think their mods should work as time goes on. I cannot imagine what a mess installing the entire pack would be (and it sure the hell seems from the collection description that that is what they intend, they do not.)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I had one run were I installed all the VE food/beverage related mods along with Hospitality. The goal was to produce every high level food and drink and have a giant hotel.

It was fun, Im glad I experienced it, but the better result is knowing I never have to install all those mods again. It was just too much stuff.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Vanilla Power Expanded mod is wildly overpowered, but I can't stop using it

The gas-powered power, cooling, heating, and growing that are never cut off from any event and have indestructible gas lines are pretty wild. Also the nuclear reactor gives something crazy like 20k power for a uranium a day, and you can scale up or down from there

edit: and the Vanilla Brewing Expanded is a money printing machine with nearly no pawn work involved

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Vanilla Power Expanded mod is wildly overpowered, but I can't stop using it

The gas-powered power, cooling, heating, and growing that are never cut off from any event and have indestructible gas lines are pretty wild. Also the nuclear reactor gives something crazy like 20k power for a uranium a day, and you can scale up or down from there

edit: and the Vanilla Brewing Expanded is a money printing machine with nearly no pawn work involved

that is the exact problem i have with those mods :v:
it's WAY too easy to just get infinite power and/or money with them

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

marumaru posted:

that is the exact problem i have with those mods :v:
it's WAY too easy to just get infinite power and/or money with them

That's the thing with mods you need to make your own balance. If you get a combination of mods that end up being super power hungry it's good to know it is an option to make them work together.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

reccing rimatomics, its good and enough work that it's balanced

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah I enjoy RimAtomics as well. Rimefeller gets a bit "cheaty" feeling to me with materials production but I roll with it anyway.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
72 fuel a day or whatever for the 16k generator is pretty great, as long as your tanks dont catch fire

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Rimefeller is balanced a bit by how delicate everything is and the huge time investment of the initial drilling. A fire starts on your tanks or refinery area and you are probably better off evacuating and hoping the explosion isn't going to level your base.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

There is a mod where pawns will actually use their inventory to haul stuff, rather than just picking up one stack and running off. I can't play the game at all without that mod.

Also backpacks, I think its from Vanilla Expanded clothing, but backpacks own.

Also like to use a priority haul mod that lets me set items for pawns to go grab immediately.

Basically, I have real bad problems with all the hauling the game makes you do on vanilla.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Also like to use a priority haul mod that lets me set items for pawns to go grab immediately.

Watch your pawns with this one, it breaks with some mods mostly stuff that changes stack sizes or storage. You can get pawns moving 1 item in a stack at a time. It just breaks weird when it does and in a large colony you can miss it if you aren't paying attention while every so often some poor sucker spends two days reorganizing the freezer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Carcer posted:

Rimefeller is balanced a bit by how delicate everything is and the huge time investment of the initial drilling. A fire starts on your tanks or refinery area and you are probably better off evacuating and hoping the explosion isn't going to level your base.

Sure it's a risk but it's an easily mitigated one. Decent wall construction isolates the biggest explosion risks. Drilling time is pretty high, can't argue that. Lets you use labor to directly produce plasteel on demand though so super worth it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

pixaal posted:

Watch your pawns with this one, it breaks with some mods mostly stuff that changes stack sizes or storage. You can get pawns moving 1 item in a stack at a time. It just breaks weird when it does and in a large colony you can miss it if you aren't paying attention while every so often some poor sucker spends two days reorganizing the freezer.

I don't change stack sizes cause most those mods seem like super cheating. I do have a mod for little food freezers though and have noticed my pawns doing weird things in the larger fridge sometimes, but is just a one trip thing general. Thanks for the heads up though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BadLlama posted:

I don't change stack sizes cause most those mods seem like super cheating. I do have a mod for little food freezers though and have noticed my pawns doing weird things in the larger fridge sometimes, but is just a one trip thing general. Thanks for the heads up though.

I often find they can be abused but having a massive warehouse that takes half a day to traverse and is completely disorganized is kinda lame. If you keep it in check and use the options in the mod to keep the counts in what you feel is fine they work great.

I guess you are kinda doing that with all the inventory and backpack stuff though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The stack sizes are all over the place unmodded. 75 strawberries take up the same space as 25 nuclear bombs, or a single gun

I use LWM and increase the capacity for most things because I don't think item storage should be the biggest and most complicated thing in a colony sim

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I felt that way about stack sizes because it does really cut down on a lot of the difficulty of planning a base.

But then I realized I actually do not care about and do not respect the 'challenge' of making a gigantic warehouse. It's only challenging because I don't want to bother. So gently caress it, stack everything up 10x the default amount. I've been playing like that for a while and the parts of the game I care about are all just as challenging and no real gameplay complexity is lost.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I have zero qualms about storage and stack mods. The amount of warehouse space needed in vanilla is ridiculous and looks ugly.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I have little to no gripes for all the Vanilla Expanded mods I use - it's true that some items are unbalanced and others are a bit too balanced, to the point that there's little reason for getting them other than the novelty factor, but novelty is underrated imo :colbert:
I do think you need a discerning eye to tell which VE mods add mostly fun content and which ones largely serve to clutter up your menus because their subscription system requires them to keep pumping out content, but all in all I'd say I enjoy most of the VE stuff I use. I also appreciate that they make an effort for all their assets to match the basegame as much as possible - I know it's a small thing, but it really grinds my gears when other, admittedly much more useful, mods have ugly artifacted graphics or excessively detailed icons.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vanilla Expanded is Good, but you really shouldn't be slamming every last one of them in without good reason. Do you really want a bunch of extra clothing or weapon options clogging things up? Then just skip those. Do you really need a bunch of exotic niche crops that are probably overpowered if you man-made? Skip Plants. Only use the Animals one for the biome(s) you're planning to play in, don't install storytellers you'll never use, etc etc. This is all pretty basic stuff I know but a lot of folks see them and grab a bunch and get absolutely overwhelmed with options they don't really need or want.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Asimo posted:

Only use the Animals one for the biome(s) you're planning to play in

Sure, I could do that. Or I could install all of them, Alpha Animals, Megafauna, Dinosauria, and more. More animal mods means more animal friends and combat-cyborgs.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The fact that you are expected to leave things laying on the floor in vanilla Rimworld is mindboggling.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Det_no posted:

The fact that you are expected to leave things laying on the floor in vanilla Rimworld is mindboggling.

I typically build shelves when I get established, not only for my own sanity but for the lack of beauty drops in the room from most stored items

VE stuff:

I slammed every vanilla expanded for a while and found that with a few situational exceptions (naked brutality starts where the first raider has a chitin shiv, etc) It's heavily weighted towards the player, even if you're including all the extra mechanoids/raiders/insectoids added in/raiders with OP gear. I do like the specialized clothing for labor a lot though, but getting the outfits set up is such a tedious experience which could probably be helped by having a special category for work clothes (and never picking the jumpsuit because it's ridiculously overpowered)

I do kinda like the ridiculous number of crops though, if only for flavor, and the extra faction types are neat.

It'd be nice if it was more modular, so you'd be able to enable/disable every item the mod adds to narrow down to the stuff that's OP but expensive, or sidegrades with specializations

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There are few solid alternatives to some of the VE stuff that I feel are superior: I really enjoyed Rimsenal and it's various modules compared to what VE did with weapons and defenses, as was mentioned, Rimfeller and Rimatomics are solid choices for power generation instead of what VE offers and there is a bunch of mods that expands Mechanoids and add playable/buildable robots that can be combined for a lot better result compared to VE: Mechanoid. And in my opinion, almost every apparel mod is better than the unholy abomination that is apparel in VE mods. There are also alternatives for farming and cooking like Vegetable Garden, but in those instances, I actually like VE stuff more, warts and all.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i play with LWM storage, rimFridge, wall light and uh....camping tent

probably will do the hygiene/water infrastructure one next. i play rimworld like a total square

Heffer
May 1, 2003

RimWorld could use streamlined modpacks like Minecraft. Availability, costs balanced by a single designer.

I feel weird saying this.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I used to love Vegetable Garden, but phew the bonuses you'd get from food items were significant.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Heffer posted:

RimWorld could use streamlined modpacks like Minecraft. Availability, costs balanced by a single designer.

There are decent steam collections.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Heffer posted:

thats what steam collections are for

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

marumaru posted:

thats what steam collections are for

Just make sure it's a maintained one and not an abandoned one or one that collects on a theme. The Vanilla Expanded collection is a terrible idea to full sub. It is however a pretty decent one to browse.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Speaking of Vanilla Expanded, Vanilla Expanded Genetics just dropped. Collaboration with the guy who did Genetic Rim and it's basically the same thing but bigger.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Another nice thing about that mod is that they mention the Cherry Picker mod which lets you pick and choose what you want from other mods.

So if you feel Vanilla Expanded is too bloated, this is a good tool to cut down on some of the extra stuff.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2633276599

marumaru
May 20, 2013

one thing that kills me is how hard it is to get several things to have the same styles e.g. tables/chairs
no i dont want my dining hall to look like insanely messy thank you

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

OGS-Remix posted:

Another nice thing about that mod is that they mention the Cherry Picker mod which lets you pick and choose what you want from other mods.

So if you feel Vanilla Expanded is too bloated, this is a good tool to cut down on some of the extra stuff.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2633276599

Cherry Picker lets you prevent things from appearing in game but doesn't reduce the load time impact unfortunately. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

time for notepad++/vscode :science: