Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

StoryTime posted:

What I want to see happen, is ol' Musky boy to fire all the human moderators from Twitter, and replace them with his OpenAI tech. He's got the engineer pipe brain to think that that's the solution to the problem he has bought. Twitter has collected incredible amounts of human interaction, pushing all that through those oh so malleable neural nets can only produce the smartest social media platform of all time.

he will claim this is what he is doing, but it will just be the same human moderators wearing full spandex bodysuits pretending to be androids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

This thread is too negative, here's some positive vibes to balance it out

https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/1519694386367500289

that's an article someone actually spent time writing and someone else decided, oh this a thing we should publish.

lol

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Elon musk owns.

I will still never use Twitter and am flabbergasted that it is valued at 45 BILLION dollars. Proves that the dollar is pretty much worthless.

Free speech owns.

Also lol at the idea that a guy owning a website is somehow "dangerous to democracy"

Lol. Lmao.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Bad Purchase posted:

he will claim this is what he is doing, but it will just be the same human moderators wearing full spandex bodysuits pretending to be androids

I will accept this if it's a live stream set to a repeating loop of Kraftwerk's Die Roboter.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

vandalism posted:

Elon musk owns.

I will still never use Twitter and am flabbergasted that it is valued at 45 BILLION dollars. Proves that the dollar is pretty much worthless.

Free speech owns.

Also lol at the idea that a guy owning a website is somehow "dangerous to democracy"

Lol. Lmao.

free speech has nothing to do with social media websites or private companies dumbass

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

vandalism posted:

Elon musk owns.

Free speech owns.

Lol. Lmao.

This seems like part of a trend on this website where people are extremely proud of how ignorant they are about how society, politics, knowledge transfer, or culture work nowadays. It's so bizarre. Like seeing a toddler who's proud that they painted the walls with their own poo poo, except you would expect them to know better.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm trying to think of what the most threatening thing to global democracies would be currently if not websites that purposefully peddle misinformation intended to promote anti-democratic, nationalist sentiment. maybe TV "news" channels that do the same, but just skewed toward an older audience?

the only other answer i'm coming up with is the russian military -- that's a pretty active threat to a specific democracy right now. and i guess the presence of oligarchs who exist above the law are an ongoing thorn in democracy (but you can't really uncouple that from the subject of elon buying twitter, either).

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

free speech has nothing to do with social media websites or private companies dumbass

Lol

Donkey posted:

This seems like part of a trend on this website where people are extremely proud of how ignorant they are about how society, politics, knowledge transfer, or culture work nowadays. It's so bizarre. Like seeing a toddler who's proud that they painted the walls with their own poo poo, except you would expect them to know better.

Lmao

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I still think a trans person playing soccer is voting level politics.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

slight correction: the 1st amendment guarantee and legal protection of free speech has nothing to do with private companies. social media sites can promise free speech as a feature if they want (and if their goal is to become the absolute biggest cesspit possible).

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bad Purchase posted:

slight correction: the 1st amendment guarantee and legal protection of free speech has nothing to do with private companies. social media sites can promise free speech as a feature if they want (and if their goal is to become the absolute biggest cesspit possible).

yeah of course they can promise free speech, but the big difference is it isn't protected by law like actual free speech. if they decide they hate cats and don't want anyone posting pictures of cats on there they can delete them and ban anyone who posts them if they want to.

so when idiot right wingers start whining about free speech because they got banned from twitter it doesn't actually have anything to do with free speech. they can go make their own website and post whatever they want (which they have).

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

StoryTime posted:

What I want to see happen, is ol' Musky boy to fire all the human moderators from Twitter, and replace them with his OpenAI tech. He's got the engineer pipe brain to think that that's the solution to the problem he has bought. Twitter has collected incredible amounts of human interaction, pushing all that through those oh so malleable neural nets can only produce the smartest social media platform of all time.

Then at 2:14 am eastern time, august 29, twitter becomes self aware and destroys humanity, not because Elon tried to pull the plug but because of the dreck it has to moderate.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

All this handwringing over Twitter. If the experience is poo poo then make it better. Mute words, block idiots and move on. Follow cool and funny people. Or just whatever interests you. It can be good. I say this from experience.

My favorite feature of twitter is the "Trending" list, which is a list of topics people are currently talking about on twitter.

If you click one of them it takes you to a page of thousands upon thousands of tweets. Every single one will read "drat, why is *trending topic* trending??" or some variant, with no further information.

I've found a way to fix the trending list though, just set your location to the island paradise of Seychelles. Nothing ever "trends" on Seychelles since no one on Seychelles ever tweets.

Now the only trends I see are ones that paid twitter for the right to be "promoted" like this one for baseball cards

So I agree, Twitter is pretty good, you just have to find a way to properly break it.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
People seem to forget that Musk is on the spectrum, just like Bill Gates. Like Gates, that means he is low on the empathy scale and has no qualms about emotionally eviscerating people in an argument. It doesn't excuse the behavior, just explains it. Combine that with unbelievable wealth and high intelligence you get a guy used to getting his way. His takeover of Twitter is no different.

Unlike Gates, Musk enjoys trolling people on the Internet and Twitter is the best platform for that. To him, he's just having fun.

I think Twitter is a pox on the house of man and I wish it didn't exist, but that's the world we live in.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

for some reason Twitter thinks I'm in Vietnam (no I'm not on a VPN or anything) so my trending list is completely meaningless to me and it's a relief

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Anton Chigurh posted:

high intelligence

Look at this loving guy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

sure okay posted:

He didn't buy social media, or like the concept of human connectivity. He bought a company.

If (When? If?) he runs it into the ground something else will come along to fill the gap.

Welp one could argue the language of the rich and powerful is actually influence, opposed to simply having money or companies

Twitter exists because of the power of its influence which is objectively huge. It's been losing its influence and popularity since the platform hasnt changed in years; and is about 2 years from collapse, facebook style. Elon can save it, as he has an enormous cult of personality (and somehow the title "world's richest man"). If he actually is a competant guy, at least on a technical level, he can point out things that are crappy about twitter and forward that to a tech team, since anyone could do that.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Anton Chigurh posted:

high intelligence

Lmao

E: his “intelligence” is similar to Elizabeth Holms, in that they are good at fooling “marks” into thinking they have high intelligence.

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 28, 2022

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Extra Large Marge posted:

My favorite feature of twitter is the "Trending" list, which is a list of topics people are currently talking about on twitter.

If you click one of them it takes you to a page of thousands upon thousands of tweets. Every single one will read "drat, why is *trending topic* trending??" or some variant, with no further information.

I've found a way to fix the trending list though, just set your location to the island paradise of Seychelles. Nothing ever "trends" on Seychelles since no one on Seychelles ever tweets.

Now the only trends I see are ones that paid twitter for the right to be "promoted" like this one for baseball cards

So I agree, Twitter is pretty good, you just have to find a way to properly break it.

Haha that's awesome. I generally ignore the Trending topics but I could do without seeing them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

idk that adds up, he's definitely higher than average considering for every Elon Musk out there yelling out whatever bullshit will get him attention there's like a million Elon Musk fanboys aching to become that blowhard's moon serfs

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 28, 2022

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/chadloder/statu...genumber%3D1880

It's always been about his ego.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519735033950470144?s=21

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
ok i've made a mistake. unbookmarking this thread. it's become the very thing i hate about twitter lol

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

sure okay posted:

He didn't buy social media, or like the concept of human connectivity. He bought a company.

If (When? If?) he runs it into the ground something else will come along to fill the gap.

Idk we've been waiting for a new cool social media platform and the only thing that came along was Discord

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

HIJK posted:

Idk we've been waiting for a new cool social media platform and the only thing that came along was Discord

I'm gonna create my own social media platform and call it the big top cause society is filled with a bunch of clowns :cool:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

HIJK posted:

i was hesitant about discord when it came out... i was like, this is just gonna be another google hangouts. but actually, discord is good and i miss it every time i use any other chat or social app.

it's pretty much twitter, but for actual interest groups and communities instead of your own private wall to scream into the void.

also it's still a chronological timeline, at least within a channel

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I kind of want to see what European tech folks come up with to replace it if Ol' Musky gets Twitter banned over there.

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing

Anton Chigurh posted:

People seem to forget that Musk is on the spectrum, just like Bill Gates. Like Gates, that means he is low on the empathy scale and has no qualms about emotionally eviscerating people in an argument. It doesn't excuse the behavior, just explains it.

Not all autistic people are low-empathy, and being low-empathy doesn't automatically make you a scumbag. Plenty of non-autistic and/or highly empathetic people emotionally eviscerate others in arguments on the internet.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I can't think of a single example of musk emotionally eviscerating anyone. Has he actually had any success with trolling where it didn't end up with him saying heh u mad bro? and blocking them so they can no longer hurt his feelings?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

StoryTime posted:

He’ll make people pay $5k to have “self-driven” moderation

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

thats right, during the bush era, there wasn't a single progressive. whats that you say, it started becoming more popular with the younger generation?

no, no, i think you will find that the children are wrong

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how dare someone accuse elon, the man whose biggest company just weeks ago lost a lawsuit over rampant racial discrimination among management including employees being harassed with slurs and swastikas, of being a bigot. he told us that it wasn't true, so the courts must've been lying.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

run on sentience posted:

I can't think of a single example of musk emotionally eviscerating anyone. Has he actually had any success with trolling where it didn't end up with him saying heh u mad bro? and blocking them so they can no longer hurt his feelings?

I meant in general, not just Twitter.

Here's an article about that: Dr. Elon & Mr. Musk: Life Inside Tesla’s Production Hell

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

OMFG FURRY posted:

thats right, during the bush era, there wasn't a single progressive. whats that you say, it started becoming more popular with the younger generation?

no, no, i think you will find that the children are wrong

Also, imagine thinking that "the right" hasn't changed between 2008 and 2021.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
this elon twitter thing was a nice prelude to this years mid terms that's for sure

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anton Chigurh posted:

People seem to forget that Musk is on the spectrum, just like Bill Gates. Like Gates, that means he is low on the empathy scale and has no qualms about emotionally eviscerating people in an argument.

This is the weirdest way to start a point. People on the spectrum have low or no empathy is factually false, and it's a common myth that gets parroted for some reason. I don't know what the hell else you posted cause I stopped reading at the part that was verifiably wrong :shrug:

What a weird loving thing to add to a conversation about a billionaire.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

"Over 15 years I became the richest man in the world but I assume everyone else changed"

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

$44 billion in cash. Think of all the good that could have been used on fighting homelessness and poverty, funding schools and hospitals, providing food for the masses, and making the world a much better place for humanity in general.

But no. Some rich dumb rear end in a top hat uses it to buy a social media platform because his fee fees got hurt. Eat the rich.

I have good news for you: that money didn't just disappear into the aether. Twitter shareholders have it now. Let's hope they use it to fight homelessness and poverty 🙏

Extremely same, actually

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 28, 2022

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If they remade TNG today then that episode where Data plays cards with Einstein, Newton, and Hawking Musk would be the cameo instead of Hawking.

I don't doubt he pays to have the cameos he's had to ingratiate himself and pander to the easiest to pander to demographic in the entire loving universe: nerd culture dipshits. Just tell them spouting Star Wars and Rick and Morty quotes indicates a high IQ and they'll eat out of your hand and call you real life Tony Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

MasterSitsu posted:

"Over 15 years I became the richest man in the world but I assume everyone else changed"

It’s hard to handle this fortune and fame,
Everybody’s so different but I haven’t changed…