Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm pretty sure they've done B) on at least one other occasion where they had a red herring setup task and a "real" one based on it, although details elude me.

There was "make the most exotic sandwich" followed by "eat your exotic sandwich". Although the fact that nobody actually managed to complete the second part meant that they were mostly being scored on the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There was "make the most exotic sandwich" followed by "eat your exotic sandwich". Although the fact that nobody actually managed to complete the second part meant that they were mostly being scored on the first one.

There was the one in series 9 about building the most robust thing and then driving a steamroller into it
There's also the one in series 6 about having the most fun, and then recreating it exactly

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
There was 'cover your lower half in tape and cling film' where the actual task was 'walk over and put on a hat' in series 11.

And sort of in series 7 when they had 'tie yourself up' interrupted by the alarm going off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oh jay posted:

I don't think she's not going to win, but I find myself rooting for Bridget because I always appreciate contestants being extra with their costumes.

The costumes was not something I was prepared for when I started to watch the british taskmaster. In the norwegian version pretty much everyone wears normal clothes, even Amir.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
In the series one interviews that just got posted there were two really interesting questions to hear the contestants answer now that we've seen how big the show's grown. When Alex asks "what is Taskmaster?", Josh says it's the future of British light entertainment (although he thought the international market wouldn't go for it). But he also asks all the contestants what they think their legacy on Taskmaster will be - and although Tim doesn't say this, I think his costume is a massive one.

It's also another way that Taskmaster NZ secures its "most faithful remake" status, e.g. with Brinley's Girl Scout/Hitler Youth outfit.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Sian’s ‘do the most powerful thing with your little finger’ task is so delightful.

‘It changed colour’

‘..because of the heat’

Also the Guinea pig was extremely handsome.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://twitter.com/andrewmacfnz/status/1519185674297290752

It finally got renewed!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm pretty sure they've done B) on at least one other occasion where they had a red herring setup task and a "real" one based on it, although details elude me.

Taskmaster NZ had at least one too, even. Smash a vase quickly and dramatically and then the real task of putting it back together again... that 3 people straight up didn't do because the real task was in the vase and they just missed it. :v:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lol in the newest episode of the podcast Threedom, Paul F Tompkins talks about finally watching Taskmaster and wanting to be on it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's a shame taskmaster appears to not have any actual budget to temporarily fly people in, considering it can be done in like a week of shooting tasks then a later week of live shows

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Was great to hear how passionate Tompkins was as a viewer, as well as wanting to appear on it. I'm sure lots of us in the thread have binged the show and then hit that wall when there's no more episodes in the archive. Lauren compared it to Lost, but I think it's a bit worse than a drama, which ought to build to a conclusion. There's no reason to ever stop making a light entertainment show, there could always be more...

Another fun episode, the Bridget comeback is real! The live task was a good riff on the "one leg or two" bluffing game from two series ago. Predictably, "one leg or two" did the rounds in the internation versions of the show. While this one seems to have the same compelling elements, it has a fatal flaw from the international perspective - it's a team task! Only one of the Scandi versions has teams, and it's a format with 4 regular contestants plus a guest who doesn't join the teams, so a team-based live task is a non starter.

Glad that the NZ rumours have been confirmed. Apparently the funding announcement is late, and the tasks have already been filmed! Studio record is still pending but that might mean we see it in July/August time, which is not long after the UK series wraps up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Holy gently caress this episode...all the tasks were brilliant and Judi was a quote machine 'Stick your arm out further, bitch!' 'I'm not doing that poo poo.'

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
What a great episode. This series is really killing it so far. Looks like Alex got the hint to dial the complexity of the tasks back a bit and the live audience seems to have reenergized the studio bits.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I still don't get Judi or her appeal...

Bridget killed it though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There was nothing about spinning the top, only the fidget spinner. I thought it was a gotchya but they never mentioned it :mad:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My manly mind has also been immediately side-tracked by the watery clues on Alex. Wonder if there are some unknown :biotruths: at play here.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

oh jay posted:

I still don't get Judi or her appeal...

Bridget killed it though.

Judi's unremitting bullshit and dogged determination to convince Greg she is not talking out of her rear end; that, and Ardal busting on everybody else when he realizes his attempts are complete poo poo, are some of the best moments.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"One of the finest bits of prehistory" indeed, he's so good. Love it. And Laika was emotional perfection. The tasks this season haven't been as brilliant as normal yet, but hands down this cast is my favorite

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That Laika bit was just A+

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I named my dog Laika so that bit really got me, especially since she's quite elderly now and it's showing.

Absolutely loving this season and the cast.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Taskmaster on youtube just put up the full episodes of Kurgenbongerbefalagon. The Norway one.

nerox
May 20, 2001

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

"One of the finest bits of prehistory" indeed, he's so good. Love it. And Laika was emotional perfection. The tasks this season haven't been as brilliant as normal yet, but hands down this cast is my favorite

That line killed me. Last night was a real fun episode. Chris attacking Alex with the hose "cause I think the Taskmaster will respect this" was awesome as well.

I really think after Greg accidently said "Pleasant Fucker" instead of "Pheasant Plucker" when awarding Sophie points and cracking himself up, he should've changed her score from 1 to 5.

nerox fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 29, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

nerox posted:

That line killed me. Last night was a real fun episode. Chris attacking Alex with the hose "cause I think the Taskmaster will respect this" was awesome as well.

I really think after Greg accidently said "Pleasant Fucker" instead of "Pheasant Plucker" when awarding Sophie points and cracking himself up, he should've changed her score from 1 to 5.

Even before that I thought Pheasant Plucker was a really strong opening, certainly better than Bubbles or Pickles.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Even before that I thought Pheasant Plucker was a really strong opening, certainly better than Bubbles or Pickles.

Pheasant Plucker fell victim to being up first, and Greg digging in on his initial reaction. It happens to the best of them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jesus christ the ads on Daily Motion are next level. A panel that constantly runs video ads while the main one is playing, bars that come down from the top of the screen, ones that pop up in the middle of it, the whole shebang. It all combines to make it actually impossible to watch there.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Use an ad blocker.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Jesus christ the ads on Daily Motion are next level. A panel that constantly runs video ads while the main one is playing, bars that come down from the top of the screen, ones that pop up in the middle of it, the whole shebang. It all combines to make it actually impossible to watch there.

Daily Motion works fine for me on android chrome on mobile, no ads at all. Adblock+ don't work for you? Do you still see ads when you go fullscreen?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you can also just register a random UK address with channel 4 then use a VPN for the UK, was surprisingly painless

nerox
May 20, 2001

eke out posted:

you can also just register a random UK address with channel 4 then use a VPN for the UK, was surprisingly painless

I was going to make a joke about using the taskmaster house address, but I guess it doesn't have a street number. Only thing I can find is Chiswick Bridge, Great Chertsey Rd, London W4 3U.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The World Inferno posted:

The daily motion app on xbox is awful too. I got hit with a 7 minute commercial last night, after getting the same honda commercial twice every 4 minutes. Tapped out for the meantime.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

eke out posted:

You might also need something like this WC1X 0AA

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My adblocker was fine on Dailymotion until 2-3 days ago when it started noticing and telling me to turn it off. Jesus christ watching stuff on there without the adblocker is just insanely bad. Only used it for jeopardy though and that seems to be on youtube usually.

Also speaking of youtube everyone go and watch Kongen Befaler season 1, it's pretty good, honestly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Unkempt posted:

My adblocker was fine on Dailymotion until 2-3 days ago when it started noticing and telling me to turn it off. Jesus christ watching stuff on there without the adblocker is just insanely bad. Only used it for jeopardy though and that seems to be on youtube usually.

Also speaking of youtube everyone go and watch Kongen Befaler season 1, it's pretty good, honestly.

Try uBlock, it also works on Channel 4

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Try uBlock, it also works on Channel 4

Not for me for some reason. Is there more than one 'uBlock'?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yes, there's uBlock Origin which is the "proper" one. I don't remember the specifics, I think the original uBlock was sold on or something and whoever bought it doesn't do a good job or something, I just know people say to use Origin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've got a Taskmaster U.S. dreamcasting update.

Per a regular podcast he's on (Threedom): Paul F. Tompkins recently checked out U.K. Taskmaster, marathoned literally all of it, and would love to be a contestant on the show. It also warmed my heart that he popped onto cameo doing basically whatever he wants for cameos instead of taking requests and broke some kind of record for immediate cameo requests, which promptly led to his cameos going up from $50 to $300 a pop.

Hopefully he'll keep spreading the good word across the heaps of improv people and comedians he knows and eventually they'll make it happen somehow.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Why would we need an American one, we already have the UK, Kiwi, bunch of Scandi, whoever else ones already? What's the point of a US version?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Because it is novel to see comedians you are actually familiar with making fools of themselves.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

turns out there's a lot of comedians in this country, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

2 UK a year plus NZ is only 30 weeks, we've got 22 left to fill.