Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Splicer posted:

You absolutely know someone tried to kill their implanted chestburster by drowning it in vodka

no one has tried it before so maybe it would work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

David puts the black goo in alcohol and the alcohol doesn't weaken it in the slightest, I doubt spirits would have any effect on a full grown alien.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ruddiger posted:

David puts the black goo in alcohol and the alcohol doesn't weaken it in the slightest, I doubt spirits would have any effect on a full grown alien.

Eh, champagne only kinda counts as alcohol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ruddiger posted:

Extrapolating this argument you can kill black goo with bullets.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They were definitely well-equipped to mow down villagers wholesale, commit genocide, and poison everyone with defoliants that cause birth defects, not to win an actual war against an enemy fighting asymmetrically who didn't entertain a plan B.

Just ask the guys running foot patrols in the jungle, or any of the people involved in the hundreds of documented attempts to murder their commanding officers.

:can:

Vietnam was not a winnable war. The issue wasn’t insufficient training or poor tools for committing murder, it was that no amount of killing was going to result in the desired American end state, a compliant and capitalist Vietnam. The VC/PANV suffered an order of magnitude more deaths than the US military but they still won because the US could not kill their way to victory.

On the other hand “alien life forms are attacking our colony and we need to stop them” is absolutely a problem you can kill your way out of.

Trying to divorce the experience of soldiers in Vietnam from the politics of Vietnam leads to bad analogies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Vietnam was not a winnable war. The issue wasn’t insufficient training or poor tools for committing murder, it was that no amount of killing was going to result in the desired American end state, a compliant and capitalist Vietnam. The VC/PANV suffered an order of magnitude more deaths than the US military but they still won because the US could not kill their way to victory.

On the other hand “alien life forms are attacking our colony and we need to stop them” is absolutely a problem you can kill your way out of.

Trying to divorce the experience of soldiers in Vietnam from the politics of Vietnam leads to bad analogies.

Aliens isn't a winnable war either. They kill a lot more aliens than they lose people, and they still end up nuking the site from orbit at the end of their "rescue mission," in which they were equipped with hardware to realistically do only just that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

What if you drink, like, a LOT of alcohol

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Aliens isn't a winnable war either. They kill a lot more aliens than they lose people, and they still end up nuking the site from orbit at the end of their "rescue mission," in which they were equipped with hardware to realistically do only just that.

The Marines absolutely would have been able to win the war against the aliens if they didn't have to fight with one hand tied behind their back.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PeterCat posted:

The Marines absolutely would have been able to win the war against the aliens if they didn't have to fight with one hand tied behind their back.

LeMay was right

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Would they?

Dietrich - ambushed before she can react, has a weapon
Frost - taken out by friendly fire
Crowe - exploded by munitions bag
Wierzbowski - dies off screen
Apone - ambushed before he can react, has a weapon
Drake - dies from indirect friendly fire/splash , has multiple weapons
Ferro - ambushed, has a weapon
Spunkmeyer - ambushed, presumably has a weapon

The only one who might be alive if they didnt collect ammo is Crowe and maybe Wiezbowski since we never really see what happens to him. None of the other deaths would have changed if they were holding loaded rifles.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 29, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Crowe and Wiezbowski actually survived but no one is ready for that story yet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

See I’m not so sure. The first engagement was lopsided because the Marines couldn’t use their pulse rifles, but even if they could, there were like 150 Aliens on their home territory. I don’t think things would have changed much.

https://youtu.be/IySXgTv3eU4

Like let’s sort of theorycraft this out a little. Let’s say all the Marines can use their pulse rifles, Dietrich still gets grabbed unopposed. She didn’t have a pulse rifle to begin with so things play out like they do in the movie, so that’s Frost down too. He had a flamethrower anyway.
Out of the Marines, 3 of them disobey the “no guns” order anyway and blast away (Hicks, Drake, Vasquez).
Apone and Crowe got mugged despite having covering fire.
Someone else had a flamethrower but I’m not sure if it’s Crowe or Weirzbowsi; you can see them at 3:05 in the above clip.
Frost had the ammo bag; if he isn’t holding a bag of live rounds because no one emptied their guns, then there’s no ammo explosion which means no dead Weirzbowski. Crowe also gets knocked down in the ammo explosion, that’s why he gets mugged by an Alien.
That means the only thing really changing in the fight is that Hudson, Weirzbowski, and Crowe are able to contribute to the fight, again, against 150 Aliens.

Drake goes down when his gun jams and he switches to his flamethrower, and Vasquez tries to save him and instead gets him splashed with acid, so he’s likely still toast.

The Dropship still goes down and takes out the APC.

If they’re firing their guns in the hive with reckless abandon they still damage the atmosphere processor (and the dropship crashing into it doesn’t help). That means they’re still stuck on the planet with a nuclear time bomb.

The Marines still have the 4 sentry turrets, which the Aliens run dry before infiltrating Ops. If Crowe and Weirzbowski are still alive from the hive ambush then they’re present at the Ops battle but I don’t think that changes much.

Yeah I don’t think very much changes if the Marines could have used their pulse rifles in the ambush. I think Gorman taking their guns away (an order 3 of them disobey anyway) is meant more to demonstrate his ineptitude and how he’s not contributing to the Marines usefully, not that the Marines were truly handicapped.

Edit— beaten

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I was more making a joke about the common misconception that the reason America was unsuccessful in Vietnam is that it was unable to comprehend the Asian mind and its non-linear form of warfare, rather than the war became politically untenable and the US left.

In Aliens, James Cameron uses the movie as a metaphor to express his opposition to communism. The ruggedly individualistic colonists, who are pioneers trying to make their fortune on the frontier, are attacked by a hive mind that replaces them on a one for one basis with an interchangeable drone, their individuality removed, their efforts now directed at the survival of the commune rather than the individual.

By the end of the movie, prior to the plant blowing up, the Marines have been successful in attritting the aliens, there are only a handful left when Ripley enters the plant to save Newt. If an entire platoon had been sent, rather than one squad, it's obvious that the Marines would have defeated the xenos. Here Cameron was foreshadowing what would happen during OIF 1 in 2003, where the powers that be sent in a smaller than adequate force in the hopes of not drawing as much attention to their actions and hoping to spend less than the larger force required would have cost. Also hoping for exclusive development rights and profits that would come after a successful invasion though it all blew up in their face.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

While I agree with everything else you wrote, there's this one thing:

PeterCat posted:

By the end of the movie, prior to the plant blowing up, the Marines have been successful in attritting the aliens, there are only a handful left when Ripley enters the plant to save Newt.
This is unclear; the reason there are very few Aliens in the hive is possibly because all of them are assaulting Ops; Ripley flies to the Atmosphere Processor in the dropship to save Newt, while the Aliens would have to pursue on foot and wouldn't get there in time, so all Ripley finds are the handful that stayed behind to guard the Queen.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xenomrph posted:

While I agree with everything else you wrote, there's this one thing:

This is unclear; the reason there are very few Aliens in the hive is possibly because all of them are assaulting Ops; Ripley flies to the Atmosphere Processor in the dropship to save Newt, while the Aliens would have to pursue on foot and wouldn't get there in time, so all Ripley finds are the handful that stayed behind to guard the Queen.

Given how many aliens we see get killed on screen by the Marines, plus how many were killed by the auto-cannon if we're counting that scene, the Marines came out a head as far as number of aliens killer per Marine lost.

The dropship would have made it if the Marines had practiced basic security instead of assuming that 2 pilots guarding their own aircraft was sufficient, and it's still very strange to me that they wouldn't have brought along enough crew to leave someone on board the Sulaco while the rest of them went down to the plane to investigate.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

PeterCat posted:

The dropship would have made it if the Marines had practiced basic security instead of assuming that 2 pilots guarding their own aircraft was sufficient, and it's still very strange to me that they wouldn't have brought along enough crew to leave someone on board the Sulaco while the rest of them went down to the plane to investigate.

it was to save money because the company is greedy OP

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

Given how many aliens we see get killed on screen by the Marines, plus how many were killed by the auto-cannon if we're counting that scene, the Marines came out a head as far as number of aliens killer per Marine lost.
Funnily enough, maybe 20-odd years ago I was on an AvP forum and we tried to do a genuine Alien kill count using criteria like audible Alien screams and what we see on-screen and stuff like the sentry turrets firing (there was some formula we used or some poo poo for number of rounds expended per burst of fire and how many dead Aliens that would mean, and then factoring in the sentry guns not being perfectly accurate and not scoring a kill on every burst or something like that), and if I remember right our (dubious) math showed that the Marines killed maybe around 100 Aliens or something like that.

I'm not saying that really proves anything, it just reminded me of a nerdy sperglord anecdote.

PeterCat posted:

They assumed they didn't need any of that - they'd secured the colony (to the best of their knowledge) and up to that point had very little evidence that there were even hostiles present at all. The ship is largely automated, they didn't need to leave anyone up there because they didn't foresee them getting ambushed in the hive or an Alien sneaking on the dropship and crashing it. Like Hudson said, they were expecting a "bug hunt", it all went sideways when it turned out they weren't just bugs. Like we can armchair-quarterback hindsight post-mortem the hell out of what the Marines did in Aliens but the big takeaway is that they were massively overconfident, waltzed into a situation that even Ripley's intel might not have prepared them for, and got ambushed on the enemy's home turf. Like we, the audience, knew Ripley's intel because we've seen the first movie, and even with the Marines being noticeably cautious when they go into the hive and start encountering Alien goop all over the walls, they still got schooled.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was to save money because the company is greedy OP
Also this.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 29, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
the company also sent heavily armed dog catchers with nets to capture the xenomorph in alien 3 lmao because they do not understand what kind of creature they are dealing with and it shows in every single movie thats the point

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 29, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the company also sent heavily armed dog catchers with nets to capture the xenomorph in alien 3 lmao

About that, the last chapter of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual is pretty fun, it’s written from the perspective of a group of Company execs reviewing Ripley’s testimony and intel, the flight recorder data from the Nostromo and Narcissus, and all of the camera feed stuff from Aliens, and their big takeaway ends up being “there’s no way Ripley’s testimony is right despite what we’re seeing with our own eyes, we can totally catch an Alien no problem”

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Are they wearing bulletproof armor (against animals that don't use guns) ironically?
"Marines! We're going to fight an enemy that doesn't use guns, so we won't need our heavy standard-issue body armour." :toot:
"Hey Top! This whole mission sounds bullshit, alien monsters my rear end. Like the poindexter from the Company said, it's probably just a downed transmitter. So why are we even taking our guns? That poo poo weighs a ton."
"Good point, Hudson. Let's just take a couple of sharp sticks."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The main thing is, if they went in loaded for bear like the normally word, they wouldn't be caught flat footed trying to adapt to the situation.

The smart gun operators would be laying down suppressing fire while the rest of the Marines maneuvered with their rifles. Apone would be able to concentrate on fighting rather than getting taken from behind while he was busy trying to hear what Gorman was saying on the radio.

Basically the squad could have acted as a cohesive whole instead of a bunch of panicked individuals and they would have been able to concentrate their power and maintained good order in the fight.

As it was, they were cocky and they were caught off guard by the xenos.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Crowe and Wiezbowski actually survived but no one is ready for that story yet

If we are getting a Vazquez prequel then we deserve to hear their sequel as well

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think drinking a bunch of stuff and puking out a chestburster happens in one of the old comics? Couldn't tell you which one since it was in the old Aliens euro magazine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

The main thing is, if they went in loaded for bear like the normally word, they wouldn't be caught flat footed trying to adapt to the situation.

The smart gun operators would be laying down suppressing fire while the rest of the Marines maneuvered with their rifles. Apone would be able to concentrate on fighting rather than getting taken from behind while he was busy trying to hear what Gorman was saying on the radio.

Basically the squad could have acted as a cohesive whole instead of a bunch of panicked individuals and they would have been able to concentrate their power and maintained good order in the fight.

As it was, they were cocky and they were caught off guard by the xenos.
Like I said, I’m not sure any of that would have happened. They were cocky at first, but their demeanor changes when they enter the hive. Aside from Hudson quipping once or twice, the rest of the Marines are all business especially once they start seeing Weird poo poo.

I still think things would have played out largely the way they did in the movie: the Aliens ambush them, the Marines largely can’t see the Aliens because they don’t show up on infrared, and the Aliens are literally coming out of the walls to grab them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

No matter their equipment, they were always going to be skeptical of the threat and unprepared for what they encountered. Back to the Nam metaphor; the place they found was nothing like they presumed it would be, and the environment was just as important to their failure as the tactics they used. The attempts to force their desired combat outcomes just leads to them being surprised again and again with their pants down.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If the reactor hadn't blown up a 2nd squad would have been able to mop up easily

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blood Boils posted:

If the reactor hadn't blown up a 2nd squad would have been able to mop up easily

What second squad? Like, a whole additional second deployment from a second ship?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

What second squad? Like, a whole additional second deployment from a second ship?

I suppose a second mission, and it wouldn't matter how long it takes them to get there if everyone from the Sulaco is already dead, wouldn't have much trouble because most of the xenos are gone. Regardless of if the queen is still alive, all she can do is lay eggs. Without any colonists or marines left to face hug then there wouldn't be enough xenos to give the mop up team any problems.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The marines are the second group. The colonists were the first. Just because corporate calls their employees a family doesn’t mean they didn’t send everyone there to do exactly what ended up happening (besides the nuke)

Anything else is just a power fantasy

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah. Obviously that would be dumb given what the story is about, but in-universe it's seems like that would've worked.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
the second squad is in the DS game aliens infestation which everyone should play

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

The marines are the second group. The colonists were the first. Just because corporate calls their employees a family doesn’t mean they didn’t send everyone there to do exactly what ended up happening (besides the nuke)

Anything else is just a power fantasy

Right but when the marines went in the entire colony had just been converted into fresh new xenos. The marines then killed at least a good chunk of them, if not the majority of them, and there's no more humans to use to replenish the xeno ranks. So another team would have a much easier time of it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s still a poo poo load of face huggers

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Elizabeth Shaw's Mummified Head is going to come back as a character.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the second squad is in the DS game aliens infestation which everyone should play

Technically there’s a second squad in seminal gaming masterpiece ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’, too.

It doesn’t go great for them either.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It’s good even tho it’s mostly remembered for the hilarious butt rock song

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

It’s good even tho it’s mostly remembered for the hilarious butt rock song

That song rules, and the band did an AvP version too

https://youtu.be/OgXd6Npj4ZY

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Technically there’s a second squad in seminal gaming masterpiece ‘Aliens: Colonial Marines’, too.

It doesn’t go great for them either.

Yeah cause somehow there are like quadruple the number of xenos there now. Maybe they just found some really bad indigenous hosts given how dumb they are.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darko posted:

Yeah cause somehow there are like quadruple the number of xenos there now. Maybe they just found some really bad indigenous hosts given how dumb they are.
A:FE explicitly differentiates between xenomorphs that come out of humans (smart, bipedal preference, do annoying stuff like run away when hurt) and xenomorphs that come out of, well, everything else (dumb, run at you in waves, die). It's why I was wondering if there was livestock in hadley's hope. If there are then there could be far more aliens than there were people and the turret victims could have been the, well, crap aliens.

Also do you know about the single typo in colonial marines that broke the entire AI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
a single xenomorph is very deadly but many xenomorphs are stupid so the marines would have killed all the xenomorphs but one and that single super deadly xenomorph would have killed them all