Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So, I don’t know if it’s California or LA subsidizing it, but when I went to take a PCR test today they didn’t bother asking for insurance information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

The Oldest Man posted:

but where are the hospitalizations

but where are the DEFFFFS

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Insanite posted:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1519793336206471169

love having a young kid who recently caught covid!

so all the kids who caught covid are going to die? lol. lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
kids can’t catch Covid!

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

oh poo poo another close contact to a confirmed positive. i watched him eat lunch with 3 people yesterday.

also an old guy who got his 2nd booster two weeks ago hit positive on Monday.

we're going to hit record cases at work this week. we've been having about early omicron numbers (6-7 cases/wk) for a couple of weeks after a steady increase from a low of 0. last week was school vacation in MA, this week is a bloodbath lmao.

i think our omicron peak was about 15 positives in a week.

the over-under is 20 for this week

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

How are we doing with COVID Wastewater?

Top 25 Sites for COVID Wastewater (More found than ever before)

1. Monroe County, NY
2. Cook County, IL
3. Mchenry County, IL
4. Cook County, IL
5. Chittenden County, VT
6. NYC
7. Orange County, NY
8. NYC
9. Cumberland County, Maine
10. Miami
11. Kane County Il
12. Cayuga Cty, NY
13. NYC
14. NYC
15. Wicomico, MD
16. Franklin Cty, VT
17. Long Island, NYC
18. Chicago (Cook County)
19. NYC
20. Champaign, IL
21. De Kalb. IL
22. Montgomery, IL
23. Houston
24. De Kalb, GA
25. NYC

heh, more like Cuck County

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MLK Ultra posted:

, pinged pos while I had this weird sciatic issue for nearly four months.

can you elaborate? someone at my work in early feb had headaches ,fatigued ,and back pain and now the back pain persists (meds aren’t working)and was diagnosed with sciatica and I was like dude you got long covid.

Apr 7, 2003

Insanite posted:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1519793336206471169

love having a young kid who recently caught covid!

ABC evening news covered this btw

and they made sure adenovirus wasn't the cause
and they ruled out the coronavirus vaccine being the cause

they never talked at all about covid causing it. infuriating.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lol we killed your kids and family because we just couldn't possibly make less profit for a little while or endure empty offices.

Americans are just gonna keep going back for more too.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Pink Mist posted:

I wonder if those child hepatitis cases will get swept under the rug if they're linked to covid

Various parties are currently trying to connect the dots between sudden heart problems and Covid vaccines instead of sudden heart problems and Covid so you know the answer

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ABC evening news covered this btw

and they made sure adenovirus wasn't the cause
and they ruled out the coronavirus vaccine being the cause

they never talked at all about covid causing it. infuriating.

This one does about adenovirus and COVID: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/28/hepatitis-outbreak-in-kids-may-be-linked-to-adenovirus-who-says.html

quote:

At least 20 of the children had Covid, with 19 of them testing positive for that virus as well as adenovirus, according WHO data. Peabody said it’s possible Covid also is playing a role in the hepatitis outbreak, though it’s not clear and more investigation is needed to determine if that’s the case.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

How are we doing with COVID Wastewater?

Top 25 Sites for COVID Wastewater (More found than ever before)

1. Monroe County, NY
2. Cook County, IL
3. Mchenry County, IL
4. Cook County, IL
5. Chittenden County, VT
6. NYC
7. Orange County, NY
8. NYC
9. Cumberland County, Maine
10. Miami

i'm in danger. rip

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

did applebee's pull all its ads from CNN after the most recent tone-deaf placement or can we look forward to a grim broadcast about kids liver's failing all over the place then get serenaded about irresistabowls?

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Well I was sent home from work with covid. We are all still wearing n95s at work and I have no social life. I've been lazy with making sure it's fully sealed so that's probably what got me.

First time catching covid during this entire pandemic, but I'm giga-vaxxed so hopefully I'll be ok.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

yeah no one has ruled out covid being the cause because, since no one is testing and children often get asymptomatic cases, it's impossible to know how many have had it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Stereotype posted:

yeah no one has ruled out covid being the cause because, since no one is testing and children often get asymptomatic cases, it's impossible to know how many have had it.

Aren't there easily antibody markers for like a year afterwards?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Shiroc posted:

Thinking about how the heroes of famous mask involving manga and anime Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind actually needed to wear their masks in fewer places than I do.

There's also a panel in the manga where Nausicaa and a few old beardos are flying into the toxic forest and don't have their masks on yet and Nausicaa tells them to mask up and they're all like "yes ma'm" and immediately mask up without complaint

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ikanreed posted:

Aren't there easily antibody markers for like a year afterwards?

Not really.

Those tests always miss a significant fraction of adults, they fall off a cliff after a few months, and children fail to seroconvert at a far higher base rate.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
IL seems hosed?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/apr/28/egg-factory-avian-flu-chickens-culled-workers-fired-iowa

:nws: graphic description of how the birds were culled in the article :nws:

quote:

Others fired from the plant contrast the seriousness with which the bird flu outbreak has been taken by Rembrandt’s management to what they describe as the company’s lax approach to the threat to workers from Covid, as it swept through factory farms and slaughterhouses in Iowa and elsewhere.

“Right now everybody’s worried about the chickens,” said Oscar Garcia, a former supervisor at the plant. “We get it: it was really inhumane the way they killed them. But chickens are chickens, right? People worked in those barns pulling out dead birds in terrible conditions, faeces everywhere, doing 12- or 14-hour days.

“They couldn’t protest because then they’d be fired and lose their redundancy pay. Then they’re thrown out of work and no one speaks for them.”

i already know those poor people probably didn't have adequate PPE

this is bad

call_of_qthulhu has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Apr 29, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Stereotype posted:

1/8 of child COVID infections being detected sounds about right according to that lab owner’s estimate

there was a study about a year ago that said were missing a massive number of child infections because kids are only detectable for a 2 day period, so the infections keep submarining and pingponging around classrooms

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Apr 29, 2022

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

what's the link for the *old* CDC map?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Soap Scum posted:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...=Risk&null=Risk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soap Scum posted:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view?list_select_state=all_states&list_select_county=all_counties&data-type=Risk

Change the data type from the “COVID-19 Community Levels” (bullshit) to “Community Transmission (real poo poo) if the url doesn’t automatically do that for you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just think of the indoor fine dining experience we're all missing out on

https://twitter.com/MrGetMoreCash/status/1519804899327979522

Apr 7, 2003

Joementum posted:

love to eat 3000 calories at every meal

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

not_superiority posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/apr/28/egg-factory-avian-flu-chickens-culled-workers-fired-iowa

this is bad

i regret having read this but it's better to know

horrifying.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Crazypoops posted:

Yeah everyone has given up

:siren: I HAVEN'T GIVEN UP MOTHERFUCKER :siren:

Death By The Blues posted:

Masks won't be fashionable cause as people have increasingly nothing (dying planet, out of control housing market, rising fascism, looming recession) the last thing we have for the most part and what we have grow accustomed is the somewhat freedom of our bodies. If there was a future to look forward to then maybe people would be interested in masks, however, as things stand now, why bother?

lol most people don't realize bad things can happen to them what are you talking about? people don't wear masks because they can't imagine a realistic scenario where their life is not long and eventually prosperous lmao

the things that haunt your dreams don't even cross most people's minds

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

fair points, for sure. it's jarring though, I do wonder how many people outside of (what seems like) a few of us doomers believe there's not a good future to look forward to

like my in-laws keep having kids(no shade to any parents, I bring it up only to illustrate my point that my relations clearly do believe things will be fine) and don't pay attention to any of this poo poo and they're capital n Normal so :shrug: I figure I'm an outlier in thinking the way that I do.

anyway my original question was posed in the past tense for that very reason - we have long passed a point where that could have worked, but I do wonder if it ever could have. probably not worth thinking about though at this point. appreciate the responses regardless

the only thing that would have worked was a robust, funded and sustained public health campaign

Zantie posted:

Would you still worry as much about the seal if it weren't for COVID? I hope it isn't the kind of anxious thought-loops that drive some people to make sure the coffee maker is turned off or that the back door is locked like 50 times before they leave the house.

big gulf between turning off the coffee maker and checking a door 50 times

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
full disclosure: I've had a few drinks

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Platystemon posted:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view?list_select_state=all_states&list_select_county=all_counties&data-type=Risk

Change the data type from the “COVID-19 Community Levels” (bullshit) to “Community Transmission (real poo poo) if the url doesn’t automatically do that for you.

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

full disclosure: I've had a few drinks

pretty sure that's everyone all the time in cspam

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

not_superiority posted:

this is bad

lmao they're trying to make new crossover events

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

love to eat 3000 calories at every meal

Maybe that's a Michael Phelps account? :thunk:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
A friend got Covid flying to Austin and back last week for a bachelorette party. She's 33, double boosted, and has been bed ridden for 3 days now. MILD.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Trixie Hardcore posted:

this is an extremely good thread title make it happen plz

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RC Cola posted:

A friend got Covid at a bachelorette party. She's 33, double boosted, and has been bed ridden for 3 days now. MILD.

i'm guessin it didn't have anything to do with the flight in this particular case

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

A friend got Covid flying to Austin and back last week for a bachelorette party. She's 33, double boosted, and has been bed ridden for 3 days now. MILD.

But she did everything right!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Joementum posted:

Oh no I’m in my home instead of sharing air with this acolyte of mammon and watching him send his steak back six or seven times so he can feel discerning. I’m simply not living my life.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

https://twitter.com/Gab_H_R/status/1519847060379521025?s=20&t=7UgyajxiUa3liuBmhm_F5g

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Trixie Hardcore posted:

:siren: I HAVEN'T GIVEN UP MOTHERFUCKER :siren:

lol most people don't realize bad things can happen to them what are you talking about? people don't wear masks because they can't imagine a realistic scenario where their life is not long and eventually prosperous lmao

the only thing that would have worked was a robust, funded and sustained public health campaign

I don't think this is a temporarily embarassed millionaires situatio most people are just bad at risk analysis. Hence all of the "why do I need a vaccine for a virus with a 99% survival rate?" comments.

Most people aren't capable of the persistent vigilance of masking and isolating for years on end. It happened during the Spanish Flu, it's happening now.