Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm reading bell hooks right now and she keeps using "females"/"males" and "women"/"men" interchangeably, it keeps weirding me out in an otherwise good book.

Anyway here are some character illustrations for Anachronox that I found in an old magazine and laughed at. Coming up with good names is hard, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a funny joke in there about how those are the "two genders" but I can't find the wording

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Woebin posted:

Anyway here are some character illustrations for Anachronox that I found in an old magazine and laughed at. Coming up with good names is hard, I guess!

Man, do I miss Idle Thumbs.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Should have named her Vagina Bones

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Wanna poke that belly

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Apr 29, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Woebin posted:

I'm reading bell hooks right now and she keeps using "females"/"males" and "women"/"men" interchangeably, it keeps weirding me out in an otherwise good book.

You should read Ancillary Justice and its sequels. All the characters are referred to with female pronouns because it's "translated" from the language of the fictional space empire of the setting, which does not have gendered pronouns.

The books are also excellent, and this language quirk isn't even a major point in them.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

You should read Ancillary Justice and its sequels. All the characters are referred to with female pronouns because it's "translated" from the language of the fictional space empire of the setting, which does not have gendered pronouns.

The books are also excellent, and this language quirk isn't even a major point in them.

Also this is never explained, first your like “there is a lot of female characters in this book” then your like ooooooooooo language is a weapon.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Woebin posted:

laugh all you want but it was a great fuckin game

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

everydayfalls posted:

Also this is never explained, first your like “there is a lot of female characters in this book” then your like ooooooooooo language is a weapon.

There was a scene where a character is trying to guess which pronoune to use in another language and was like "ah they seem mad, I must have picked the wrong one"

I really liked it because it reminded me of when I was learning English as a kid and did the same thing :3:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

(trying not to snicker as I spin my blindfolded friend) okay, the pinata's over there...

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Elissimpark posted:

(trying not to snicker as I spin my blindfolded friend) okay, the pinata's over there...

(Friend cracks the cat in half, spilling candy all over the ground) me: wait what? If that's a piñata, where's the ... HOLY gently caress!

(Cut to some kid's birthday)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I worked at a game store/video rental combo place, I printed a sign that said "NOW UNDER 24 HOUR SURVEILLANCE" and taped it on the mirror in the employee bathroom. Got the store manager pretty good with it. (No trouble or anything, we all had a good laugh.)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Hang in there, Baby!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Look what I'm whippin' now

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

everydayfalls posted:

It definitely is explained, at some point Breq literally says Radchaai doesn't have gendered pronouns.

But the cool thing is that she defaults to female rather than male, because why the gently caress not?

Also, from memory, only one character in the series has their gender (or at least sex) confirmed in any way, and I think that includes the Nilters: Seivarden, male.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Apr 29, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hyperlynx posted:

You mean from Finnish?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I've put 90 hours in elden ring and never found her. What the gently caress.

She's disguised as not a snake.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Paladinus posted:

You mean from Finnish?

Radchaai might be Finnish, I don't know. Maybe they won the Hyperwar in that timeline...

I didn't know Finnish doesn't have gendered pronouns! Cool.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The Lone Badger posted:

She's disguised as not a snake.

After checking out a guide I did in fact find her and did parts of her quests, just not after she transformed. Man, this game still has a lot of stuff to find, it's insane :psyduck:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Hyperlynx posted:

We are even moving towards single pronoun "se" ("it") for everything, at least in informal language. We will be prepared to the robot revolution.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1519993598787399681?t=6fF-9gTjwOkxxCZTYhPXiw&s=19

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LISTER!!!!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

This is amazing. Red dwarf and napalm death. Like chocolate and peanut butter.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Hyperlynx posted:

Until recently, they didn't have gendered haircuts.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

knuthgrush posted:

This is amazing. Red dwarf and napalm death. Like chocolate and peanut butter.

If you're into enjoyable Red Dwarf spottings may I interest you in Death in Paradise. I was like who the gently caress is that quirky police man for a dozen episodes before I realized it was The Cat

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lister's seventeen year old, "crypto fascist" accusing self would approve.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

!
!
!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I went to a music festival at a brewery last weekend and at 4 pm between two local country acts, there was a punk/hardcore band. They were actually really good but had clearly chosen their edgiest songs, so while I was playing airplane and spinning around with my 3 year old daughter on the lawn they announced a song by saying "This is about killing someone with a knife and wearing their skin ONE TWO THREE FOUR"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I went to a music festival at a brewery last weekend and at 4 pm between two local country acts, there was a punk/hardcore band. They were actually really good but had clearly chosen their edgiest songs, so while I was playing airplane and spinning around with my 3 year old daughter on the lawn they announced a song by saying "This is about killing someone with a knife and wearing their skin ONE TWO THREE FOUR"

My 3 year old nephew came up to me the other day & said "doo" and I was like nodding, okay where is this going, then he carefully uses his left hand to fold the fingers of his right hand into the devil's horns and starts growling "doo, doo hast, doo hast mik" while headbanging :3:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I heard Big Balls when I was 4 or 5 and ran around the house singing it and my parents and their friends couldn't stop from encouraging it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

My 3 year old nephew came up to me the other day & said "doo" and I was like nodding, okay where is this going, then he carefully uses his left hand to fold the fingers of his right hand into the devil's horns and starts growling "doo, doo hast, doo hast mik" while headbanging :3:

And then everyone stood up and started clapping

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If someone trained a kid on Rammstein I probably would.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

This maneuver is always successful without regard to the out cum.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Do you find it beyond belief that a toddler would imitate words and mannerisms to a song they heard

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

toddlers don't even exist. I would know, I'm a parent

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Preschoolers are basically parrots and I have no difficulty believing a goon is the sibling who never mated and has terrible taste in music.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
MY toddlers only recite lyrics from deep, meaningful songs (Fleetwood Mac), and they do NOT "headbang"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MY toddlers only recite lyrics from deep, meaningful songs (Fleetwood Mac), and they do NOT "headbang"

My neighbours kid is going to be so broken when she works out the Venga bus is not in fact coming. All of those people jumping and for nothing.