Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KirbyKhan posted:

Currently thinking of pivoting to being a content moderator for Metaverse. My cover letter would be my steam achievements page for Hypnospace Outlaw. My reference would be an SA mod.

I don't know if this is a shitpost or not, but be aware that Facebook content moderators don't get enough therapy and there's no guarantee the stuff you flag will get taken down at all.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Quackles posted:

I don't know if this is a shitpost or not, but be aware that Facebook content moderators don't get enough therapy and there's no guarantee the stuff you flag will get taken down at all.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona

are you this good at getting jokes in real life too

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PCjr sidecar posted:

are you this good at getting jokes in real life too

I'm standing in here, aren't I? :v:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Assumes timed coding exercise is in Python.
Opens exercise to realize it’s in JS.
Tries to learn JS for 30 minutes.
Sends in homework, welp onto the next one :downsrim:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
next time just do it in python and then feed it through a python-to-js transpiler (i've never heard of this but i am sure that js people have made it because of course they have)

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
lol, I ended up submitting incomplete JS and then just Python separately. it’s all good not my first pick or anything. It reminded me of one of my favorite YOSPOS quotes:

“I find it helps to laugh when faced with the kind of situation that might have been in a first draft of Brazil but got cut for being too obviously stupid.”

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I had a coding interview a couple days ago, I got on the zoom and they asked me to share screen and open a terminal to solve it, I thought there'd at least be a hackerrank or something

I don't have an IDE or anything set up on the laptop I was interviewing from and I had to fix my python install at the very beginning, still waiting to hear back if the turd I crapped out for them under those conditions was satisfactory

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my homie dhall posted:

I had a coding interview a couple days ago, I got on the zoom and they asked me to share screen and open a terminal to solve it, I thought there'd at least be a hackerrank or something

I don't have an IDE or anything set up on the laptop I was interviewing from and I had to fix my python install at the very beginning, still waiting to hear back if the turd I crapped out for them under those conditions was satisfactory

Sounds like you did well. If they didn't think so under those circumstances I'd consider it a bullet dodged

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'd hire anybody who can fix a python install under the gun, lol.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

RokosCockatrice posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RokosCockatrice posted:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

RokosCockatrice posted:

yeah industry median is somewhere at “got error; froze; won’t read it; can’t google”

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Penisface posted:

yeah industry median is somewhere at “got error; froze; won’t read it; can’t google”

but we don't hire better than median, we hire the top 30% at least!

thinks every company in the industry

e: I mean some actually do, but it takes a lot of money

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 29, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Private Speech posted:

but we don't hire better than median, we hire the top 30% at least!

thinks every company in the industry

e: I mean some actually do, but it takes a lot of money

There are some really good self taught problem solvers who have no problem googling themselves into a workable answer. People like that do great on the build django site and glue apis together projects that make up like 75% or the industry and they're not expensive. <$100K at the eng 2/2.5 level in tier 2/3 metros.

Resume usually looks something like:
- personal project concurrent with non-computer-touching job
- entry level touching job 0.8-2 years
- BS degree in thing other than EE/CS

Fake edit: whether they top 30% or not idk. They dont freeze up on errors tho and can glance at googles barely relevant results and pick the correct github issue link or stack overflow link.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 29, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RokosCockatrice posted:

I’d be more likely to hire somebody who anticipated that their coding interview would involve coding.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

one would generally expect an online test via leetcode or hackerrank

though there are a lot of different ways of doing things. I had a “take home” test where they had me download a Ubuntu VM with the proper dev environment already setup. but the embedded world is weird

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

also I would never expect an interview to let me or want me to edit or build the code on my local machine, I'd probably do it on godbolt or something if I suddenly needed to

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
we used to do in-person interviews with the interviewer coding on their personal laptop with the idea being that they're familiar with it and wouldn't have to learn some new environment during the interview. we actually bothered to tell them that in advance and offered the use of a loaner laptop when needed, though, rather than going "hope you happened to bring a laptop with a working dev environment!"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Plorkyeran posted:

we used to do in-person interviews with the interviewer coding on their personal laptop with the idea being that they're familiar with it and wouldn't have to learn some new environment during the interview. we actually bothered to tell them that in advance and offered the use of a loaner laptop when needed, though, rather than going "hope you happened to bring a laptop with a working dev environment!"

some people can't use laptops op. i'm not full blown disabled but i can't use them without ending up in a shitload of pain after like 5 minutes.

not directed at you specifically but i wonder how often companies fall afoul of ada complaints for doing interviews with requirements like this?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
laptop and ergo keyboard? or the speechtotext dealios? ada says reasonable accommodation, but it seems reasonable to expect a computer toucher to be able to input text some way. deffo a problem soluble w money

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

laptop and ergo keyboard?

i'm not asking for a solution b/c obviously in my case it would be easy enough to deal with (i'd also need a laptop riser and a mouse but it's not like i can't fit all that in a backpack)

i'm more wondering if anyone's run afoul of anti-discrimination laws with this sort of thing. i guess if you can bring your own equipment then the company has covered their rear end vOv

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I did an interview where they handed me a Mac laptop to code on and were clearly instructed that they weren't supposed to give me any help, because I had to ask multiple times what various keyboard shortcuts were before they answered.

They also forgot to roll back the previous candidate's code and didn't laugh when I tried to joke with them about it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cold on a Cob posted:

some people can't use laptops op. i'm not full blown disabled but i can't use them without ending up in a shitload of pain after like 5 minutes.

not directed at you specifically but i wonder how often companies fall afoul of ada complaints for doing interviews with requirements like this?

it never came up but i can't imagine it would have been a problem if someone needed to bring their own keyboard or whatever too, and we usually plugged the laptop into an external monitor anyway so that we didn't have to peer over the person's shoulder

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
did some googling and it seems to be well handled in most cases, though as always the bias for visible/obvious disabilities over less visible disabilities means accommodations for the latter seem to be harder to provide or request sometimes

anyway it seems most people disclose ahead of time to make sure accommodations are provided, like if you're blind they'll let you use your screen reading software

i know this probably seems obvious but i haven't interviewed anyone with obvious disabilities that impacted their ability to do a technical interview vOv

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I saw a list of books about negotiation posted somewheres was it this thread? If not someone recommended me books preferably of the audio variety

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PokeJoe posted:

I saw a list of books about negotiation posted somewheres was it this thread? If not someone recommended me books preferably of the audio variety
start with the op to the bfc negotiation thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

negotiation in general:
- fisher, getting to yes
- donaldson, negotiating for dummies
- sander, negotiation 101

salary negotiation in particular
- chapman, negotiating your salary
- voss, never split the difference
- doody, fearless salary negotiation

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 30, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Thanks bigly this is the most profitable thread on the forums :tipshat:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no thats the greyforum negotiation thread

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this thread gives the same advice and as that one really, except it has more computer flavor

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

getting to yes is a good book

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
ive been trying to get better at negotiating but right now i keep finding myself just giving hard NOs to bad deals instead of leaving the door open for the other party to make the deal better. i should probably read the books

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm not asking for a solution b/c obviously in my case it would be easy enough to deal with (i'd also need a laptop riser and a mouse but it's not like i can't fit all that in a backpack)

i'm more wondering if anyone's run afoul of anti-discrimination laws with this sort of thing. i guess if you can bring your own equipment then the company has covered their rear end vOv

IDK about # of complaints to administrative bodies or demand letters sent but I can say that in my state discrimination lawsuits from interviews are very rare. The one maybe exception to this could be fair credit reporting act claims where due to incorrect information on a credit report an employee gets terminated or an offer withdrawn. If you didnt actually get the job and don't know that you would have and then went and got another job soon after because the economy is good, what are the damages?

Engineers are very rarely discrimination or wage & hour plaintiffs as well. Like lawsuits against employers per capita (not counting workers comp/insurance related) is inversely correlated with "requires a BS degree for the job".

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FMguru posted:

start with the op to the bfc negotiation thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

negotiation in general:
- fisher, getting to yes
- donaldson, negotiating for dummies
- sander, negotiation 101

salary negotiation in particular
- chapman, negotiating your salary
- voss, never split the difference
- doody, fearless salary negotiation

getting to yes by fisher is very good, IMO for employees seeking employment fisher's beyond reason is even better. There's certainly overlap in the concepts, but understanding the position you're in as a candidate and the position the interviewer is in as only part of a system that may limit their ability to make creative deals, will give candidates better ideas about how to negotiate. i.e. the social/emotional aspects of the interviewing process are more important than the tactical advice in getting to yes. 100% worth reading both though, best of both worlds.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 30, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

God drat FB recruiters are thirsty.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

God drat FB recruiters are thirsty.

it’s been unbearable lol. ML/AI teams won’t gently caress off, dunno about other sectors

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sleng Teng posted:

it’s been unbearable lol. ML/AI teams won’t gently caress off, dunno about other sectors

they know what youve been searching
do you know tensorflow?
did you see our senior dev req?
no you wont code in go

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why, Metaverse is paying you now

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

an interview I had a couple contracts ago was literally pairing with their architect to get *his* new dev laptop set up with Node/NPM/Typescript etc and creating a dummy Git repo with a passing unit test.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sleng Teng posted:

embedded is equally thirsty. i'm almost curious to interview there because it would be pretty fun to say a number first when that number is a cool half mil.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DuckConference posted:

embedded is equally thirsty. i'm almost curious to interview there because it would be pretty fun to say a number first when that number is a cool half mil.

that’s possible for even midrange folks there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DuckConference posted:

levels.fyi’s first hit on Facebook for AI/ML is $455k TC for a senior SDE in Seattle. considering levels.fyi trails offers and that’s Seattle you can probably get that easily in the Bay Area at senior. there’s a Seattle staff engineer from March at $700k. no idea if direct hiring above senior actually works, I think those levels are a they come to you thing?

as for embedded do you mean ADAS or other vehicle stuff?