Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DoctorJones posted:

where do i five stack with you nerds so i can stop getting queue times?

Hopefully the rumours of an actual guild/clan/social system are true and we can start a Groverwatch clan or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played some of the beta and my initial impressions are very good.
I'm a fan of what they did to the tanks.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So Mei basically does nothing now, is this correct? Maybe they should have made her into a tank too with the way she plays

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mei does pretty dumb damage now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
They doubled the damage on Mei's left click, she's Pyro now

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Doesn't seem like it works all that well. Ok, here's one of the most niche, hardest to use/most underwhelming heroes in OW, let's take away her unique thing that she does with her main fire but increase her DPS from "practically none" to "some". They could have at least taken away the delay on her left click to compensate, or given it a larger AoE or something. Seems like they should have increased her health and armor and made her a tank.

Of course, this is a beta that will probably have a ton of changes before the actual release.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Being a mei onetrick coming into OW2 just amplifies all of the positioning and engage/disengage mistakes I've been making because there's no offtank to hide them, so my own bad positioning is punished almost immediately, but it also really punishes the mistakes red makes that let me close distance on them because her M1 is just so much more powerful now. Letting the Mei close enough to your deathball to M1 you has been a mistake since the patch that gave her cleave, but now you have a lot less time to correct it before she wipes you. With how much more effective healers are now, and the game balance seemingly being tuned around that, separating them from their tanks is even more important, so hitting a great wall feels even better because you can feel the difference in the TTK

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BabyRyoga posted:

Seems like they should have increased her health and armor and made her a tank.

They've said that they tested Mei as a tank but it didn't work for whatever reason. Given that they pulled the trigger on the Doomfist change, it's probably true.

Maybe they should have kept the ice slide ability from that wacky experimental card.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I've found Mei to be useful against the barrage of nigh-unkillable Orisa comps because her primary is one of the few attacks available to DPS that the Javelin Spin can't nullify (Symmetra's being the other). It seems the only viable way for Orisa to reliably be out-damaged through her team's support healing combined with her Fortify and Javelin Spin projectile nullification (most Orisas just do both at once to very quickly close in and then throw the Javelin) is for more or less the entire team to focus her, which with the removal of a tank and the more flank-heavy approach to map design is not something average (or in my case, below average) players are naturally inclined to do. With Mei, you can at least try and wall off behind Orisa, but that only really buys you a second or two since the maps are now more open.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They've said that they tested Mei as a tank but it didn't work for whatever reason. Given that they pulled the trigger on the Doomfist change, it's probably true.

Maybe they should have kept the ice slide ability from that wacky experimental card.

That makes literally no sense; they have overhauled one character into a tank, and completely overhauled a different character into a different tank. Clearly, they could redesign the character and have it be completely different while still retaining some of the old Mei. It seems more likely they just didn't want to make her a tank.

Daryl Surat posted:

I've found Mei to be useful against the barrage of nigh-unkillable Orisa comps because her primary is one of the few attacks available to DPS that the Javelin Spin can't nullify (Symmetra's being the other). It seems the only viable way for Orisa to reliably be out-damaged through her team's support healing combined with her Fortify and Javelin Spin projectile nullification (most Orisas just do both at once to very quickly close in and then throw the Javelin) is for more or less the entire team to focus her, which with the removal of a tank and the more flank-heavy approach to map design is not something average (or in my case, below average) players are naturally inclined to do. With Mei, you can at least try and wall off behind Orisa, but that only really buys you a second or two since the maps are now more open.

I'm guilty of not having looked at the new Orisa's abilities yet so I don't know if she still has something similar to OW's self buff, but I tried out Mei in a game just now and the Orisa was walking around inside my ult completely unimpeded, which would probably be a reason to not use Mei against her.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 28, 2022

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I misunderstood the twitch drop system, and thought it was taking place on Tuesday (when I was busy all day) and not yesterday (when I was completely free), so I completely missed it. I take it that ship has sailed?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

OtspIII posted:

I misunderstood the twitch drop system, and thought it was taking place on Tuesday (when I was busy all day) and not yesterday (when I was completely free), so I completely missed it. I take it that ship has sailed?

https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1519436768612958209
This one is random draw instead of guaranteed though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think the next phase will be giving support heros machine guns to defend themselves. I've always thought mercy should have boost and heal in one beam, staff in the left hand, and pistol in the right hand simultaneously.

headcase fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 28, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looks like they are adapting the "randomize between your favourite skins" from Apex, which is nice. Does not work yet, but the stars next to each skin hint at it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
woof I just realized I haven't played OW in so long that my default Zarya skin was ... the Sinatraa MVP one. brutal

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Just curious, how does ow2 still have big queues while even games that run 60 player strict-mmr based lobbies are able to fill lobbies in 30-90 seconds. Because 1) this is riduclous and 2) man it especially sucks to watch on stream, horribly and 3) it's really poo poo when an hour of time to play games results in 15 minutes of actual games.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Seems like it's role queue by itself doing the work. You get instaqueues if you go flex/support or as a five stack.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
flex just means support 100% of the time

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Both of those issues presumably come from the same cause, i.e. that DPS make up 40% of a game but 90% of the playerbase.

See also: a team has two DPS and two supports, but there are 7 supports on the roster and 18 DPS including Sojourn

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

for those unaware, the tank raidboss role has the highest queue times and support queues instantly

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've played more now, and I don't know how I feel tbh.

- Tanks are definitely OP. Not sure if this is good or bad; the big direction change of the game is 2 tanks to 1 tank with the 1 tank being stronger, and that tank being much harder to kill if the supports are dividing their attention properly and both focusing on keeping that tank up.

- There are clear balance issues with many heroes being extremely underwhelming. Interestingly, a lot of them seem like the non-pure DPS characters. Torb, Sym, Mei, Junk all feel absolutely useless in a lot of situations. Of course, anyone in the hands of a master can potentially pop off, but these characters are kinda hosed right now with the direction the game is headed. Looking at tier lists that streamers and pros have put out, pretty much everyone seems to agree. Correlating this point and the previous point together a little, what surprised me quite a bit is that most tier lists also have Reaper in a somewhat good place, whereas my experience with him has pretty much summarized the frustrations with tanks being way OP. I can basically flank behind an Orisa, Hog, Rein, etc, and get like 3 clean full spread shots point blank on them and have it do ABSOLUTE JACK poo poo (like 150 damage total) to their health bars, even if they aren't properly mitigating the damage with a defensive cooldown. The main problem here is not necessarily that Reaper can't do the ol' tank busting delete in the same way that he used to, but the fact that he no longer heals enough to sustain. It feels like he basically loses a 1v1 duel with any tank now, regardless of any support coming from the enemy team.

- Nearly every game i've been in has been an overwhelming stomp, even more than a typical OW stomp. We are talking spawn camping, not pushing the payload a single unit, etc. This could be for a lot of reasons; the matchmaking is very lax it being a beta and all, so you tend to get players of all skill and experience levels crammed together. Also people don't know how the general flow of the game has changed with the tank thing in play and are playing like OW when playing like OW will not work in OW2. Lastly, the balance issues and heroes needing adjustments and or (hopefully) a large number of yet-to-be-revealed additions to the line-up at launch will be a factor.

- It seems more than ever that picks and counters will be important. They always have been super important, but these 4-5 hours almost felt like games are impossible if for example you don't pick the tank that counters the enemy team the best. As a Zarya main, this is especially irritating because the number of situations in which she could shine in OW1 was much greater, even based solely on how well you coordinate with the 2nd tank.

- Something about the game that I can't quite put my finger on feels closer to other shooters, which feels nice. Fewer ults is good. Conversely however, with the tank changes the game feels more like League or Smite rather than TF2 or Apex for example than ever, and playing solo is going to absolutely blow rear end. The biggest problem with OW1 eventually ended up being how unfun the game is when you aren't on the same page as the other people in your game, and I see this getting way worse, especially if picks matter more.

Random thought: Maybe the game should have been rebalanced to FOUR roles: Tank, DPS, Support, Heals, (1x1x1x2 team comp) with support being heroes like Torb, Mei, etc. A few other heroes could be worked into that role to expand it, and there could be a focus on new heroes fitting that role for at least the first brief period after launch.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

for those unaware, the tank raidboss role has the highest queue times and support queues instantly

what are queue times by roll like in OW1 for comparison?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If I queue for DPS and Tank, it's been like 10 min or longer for me. I was playing off hours, though. If I queue all 3 roles, I get support almost every game and much faster queues.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

for quickplay. dps has longest queue time. tank and healer are comparable to one another and tend to instant fire.

role queue ruined this game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah it was better when you could queue faster into games that were wastes of time

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

grieving for Gandalf posted:

yeah it was better when you could queue faster into games that were wastes of time

OW1 as of late you get the same thing because people who don't play tank will queue as tank just to get fast queue times and ruin the game :banjo:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tbh i enjoyed the 4dps games, it felt a lot like ow2

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Role queue was by far the best thing to happen to the game because nothing--NOTHING--was more infuriating than being in comps with 1 solo healer and either one or zero tanks. Whenever that happened, the outcome of the game was decided before the match even started, at the character select. The reason you hear people say "role queue sucks" is that they're the people who'd be slam-picking on DPS then getting irate that they're not getting heals or whatever. If you still want that experience, it's in Quick Play Classic and the Open Queue competitive ladder. But I never, ever, EVER want to play that type of game again. Even OW2 is sure to have two healers per team.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DPS players, suffer for your crimes!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The game could literally EOS and we would still hear about how good role queue was for the game.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I guess complaining about new stuff is better than complaining about old stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

People rank Reaper so high not because he's a tank buster like he used to be, but because now he's a menace at flanking. Now you want him to go kill the support line since very few can escape or counter him.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Tracer feels severely underpowered now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
you know what's a really underrated change is all healers auto-healing after a bit. If you're playing Ana and you take some damage you can reposition out of LoS and use your grenade on things other than yourself, which is a small but appreciated buff

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Idk I like role queue. The split SR is nice if you're a significantly better or worse player at certain roles. Don't need a second account for that role now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Codependent Poster posted:

People rank Reaper so high not because he's a tank buster like he used to be, but because now he's a menace at flanking. Now you want him to go kill the support line since very few can escape or counter him.

Well, I don't think people are rating him high. He tends to end up directly in the middle of most tier lists, if not a little lower. My frustration is that trying to play him like a tank buster makes him feel like a bottom 5 hero. It will take some time and patches to see where he ends up, but I was rather underwhelmed.

From what I understand, he was a top 5 in the alpha and took some nerfs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's one thing when you're solo DPS queuing up and it taking 10+ minutes to find a match. It sucks but okay. But when you are a party and you have healer, tank and DPS role filled, you aren't given a tank or healer queue, you still have the DPS queue. Parties are still waiting 10+ minutes unless they simply don't pick a DPS either. It loving sucked and it absolutely killed all my friends' desire to play the game. They do not play it anymore.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

How long is this beta? It seems like it's just going to divide an already reduced player base.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, I don't think people are rating him high. He tends to end up directly in the middle of most tier lists, if not a little lower. My frustration is that trying to play him like a tank buster makes him feel like a bottom 5 hero. It will take some time and patches to see where he ends up, but I was rather underwhelmed.

From what I understand, he was a top 5 in the alpha and took some nerfs.

Oh yeah, I only saw a tier list made from the alpha and not from the beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm getting 8-10 minute tank queues, 5-6 minute dps queues and instant to 1 minute support queues. So far using a priority pass has made little difference even when the option is available