Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kirios posted:

Were you going from the 44mm to the 45? Or 40 to 45?

40 to 41. I like the smaller watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've been thinking about them for my parents, and when looking into the 7 the 41mm screen looked pretty close to the older 44:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/q7fz89/display_on_the_41mm_is_almost_as_big_as_the/

Course that's with a full screen watch face, how far towards the edge does text go?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

japtor posted:

I've been thinking about them for my parents, and when looking into the 7 the 41mm screen looked pretty close to the older 44:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/q7fz89/display_on_the_41mm_is_almost_as_big_as_the/

Course that's with a full screen watch face, how far towards the edge does text go?

I"m not sure where you are located but you might want to go to a store to check them out. With the different sizes, watch colors, band types, it's worth checking out first.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just upgraded from a 42mm S3 to a 45mm S7 and it’s almost too big. Love it and the snappyiness of the interface. M

So far, the Digital Solar Dial face is my favorite new face.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I was riding my bike home from work and when I got home my series 6 was apparently dead. I threw it on the charger thinking it just went flat but it’s vibrating and alarms are going off but the screen is black. I tried hard resetting it (pressing the crown and side button in for 15 seconds) and nada.

Is it Apple Store time?

Edit: the screen came on literally as I posted this and it was blindingly bluish white with some barely legible complications. It’s totally not responding to anything.

Kaewan fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 13, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:plays taps:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kaewan posted:

I was riding my bike home from work and when I got home my series 6 was apparently dead. I threw it on the charger thinking it just went flat but it’s vibrating and alarms are going off but the screen is black. I tried hard resetting it (pressing the crown and side button in for 15 seconds) and nada.

Is it Apple Store time?

Edit: the screen came on literally as I posted this and it was blindingly bluish white with some barely legible complications. It’s totally not responding to anything.

All an Apple store will do is send it off for a repair/replacement so a call to Applecare should work just as well. Don't suppose it has AC+ by any chance?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Kaewan posted:

Is it Apple Store time?

This sort of thing happened with my series 6 for a few months on and off. I woke up one morning and the screen had detached itself! Thankfully AC+ swapped it out without any questions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure why they deleted the OK button when entering the PIN on my watch, but it's one less thing to do when the Auto Unlock fails I guess.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
I just got AirPods so I was trying to load music from Spotify onto the watch.

It just doesn’t ever even start to load. I tried all the obvious stuff but nothing. I know the Spotify watch app is terrible but this is a bummer that it seems like it won’t be an option to use at all for me.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I do not use Spotify but I am liking Amazon music on my watch. I just wish that they allowed you to download a playlist because our cell service sucks in this area.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Got an alert that my storage is full, which is weird because I just did the unpair, repair, update dance yesterday, and I don't keep music or podcasts on the watch. Check the storage and I've got 5 gigs of "other" that I can't seem to touch. Can I do anything about this? Does it matter?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I stopped getting notifications for messages (iMessage and Texts) via the watch in the last week or so. I think it coincides with the phone updating to 15.4.1. The watch didn't auto-update at the same time and I didn't really notice this until I missed some important messages from a co-worker due to the watch not getting the notification and the phone also being quiet.

I do get watch notifications from other apps, so it's JUST messages that stopped.

I have disabled/re-enabled notification forwarding, restarted both devices, updated the watch when I saw it had fallen behind and unpaired/re-paired the watch. Still no dice.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I stopped getting notifications for messages (iMessage and Texts) via the watch in the last week or so. I think it coincides with the phone updating to 15.4.1. The watch didn't auto-update at the same time and I didn't really notice this until I missed some important messages from a co-worker due to the watch not getting the notification and the phone also being quiet.

I do get watch notifications from other apps, so it's JUST messages that stopped.

I have disabled/re-enabled notification forwarding, restarted both devices, updated the watch when I saw it had fallen behind and unpaired/re-paired the watch. Still no dice.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

When you re-paired the watch, did you restore a back up? If so, wipe/repair but don’t restore a backup.

You also could try doing a hard restart on both devices. I had a weird thing last week where the watch haptics stopped working for literally everything. A hard reset did the trick.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Jose Oquendo posted:

When you re-paired the watch, did you restore a back up? If so, wipe/repair but don’t restore a backup.

You also could try doing a hard restart on both devices. I had a weird thing last week where the watch haptics stopped working for literally everything. A hard reset did the trick.

I restored. I'll try the hard reset and then a re-pair.
However I think it's the phone. I turned off the watch for a bit and a slew of texts came in. No sound, didn't wake the screen, but showed up in the Notification Center. So it might be the phone.
Gonna do some deeper digging.

Thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, there are days where I can just NOT get a good ECG reading for love or money. Watch is strapped to my wrist tight, arms deathly still, crown and finger both clean, but the graph just looks like a seismic disaster. Then there are days where I get an amazing reading while wildly uncoordinated. Can't pin down what the common factor is in all the failure scenarios so just a bit of a head-scratcher.

I mean I'm sure it's something about improper surface contact but I couldn't even fathom a guess as to what is sub-optimal in my setup when I made an attempt just now. I'll try it again in 30 minutes and it'll read fine, I'm sure.

One of life's mysteries when you have an S4 :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So my wife signed up for the free trial of Fitness+. So now whenever I open the Workouts app on my watch, the first loving workout type listed is one of their Fitness+ workouts. I have absolutely 0 interest in these. How do I get them from showing up at all?

I've tried Watch > Workout > Time to Walk/Run "Add New Workouts to Watch" --> off, as well as the photos, but the workouts still show up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had that problem too and as far as I can tell that's just how it is. Once the trial expires the entry disappears.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You just swipe to delete it afaik

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, I don't remember how but I got that fucker out of there, so it is definitely possible

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

101 posted:

You just swipe to delete it afaik

Oh poo poo yeah. Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/22/apple-announces-service-program-for-apple-watch-series-6-blank-screen-issue/

Apple has a repair program for certain models of the Apple Watch Series 6 with a 'blank screen' issue. Figured I'd pass this along in case anyone here has had this happen.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone ever go camping with their Apple Watch? If so, what do you do(besides using a battery pack) to help conserve battery power on your watch while camping? My daughter’s scout troop is about to go on their first camp out (Friday night through Sunday morning) and if she can get through the weekend with just a single charge, that would be awesome.

Also, any recommendations for hiking or camping apps for the watch?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I usually don’t bother on overnights. The type of tracking you want to do on your watch is just going to drain the battery even more so to maximize battery you’ll want to use it as a dumb watch anyways.

If you bring a power bank then yeah, it should be fine.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is it worth the cost of the upgrade to titanium (or stainless steel? i can barely tell, the configuration page is so god drat complicated and it doesnt tell you the glass type until click one and scroll to specs) to get the sapphire glass on a watch? im replacing my s4 with an s8 later this year, and the "ion x" glass on it is pretty banged up from accidentally scraping it against walls or whatever over the last few years

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone ever go camping with their Apple Watch? If so, what do you do(besides using a battery pack) to help conserve battery power on your watch while camping? My daughter’s scout troop is about to go on their first camp out (Friday night through Sunday morning) and if she can get through the weekend with just a single charge, that would be awesome.

Battery pack, yes. Otherwise in my limited experience just try to minimize drain as much as you possibly can, e.g. theatre mode is a must, airplane mode helps, or just even throw it in power reserve mode and use it as just a literal watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easier to keep your watch charged on a camping trip than your phone, the battery power needed to get a full charge is diminutive.

Wife and I bring a goal zero venture 30 and it can keep two phones and two watches charged for ~2.5 days if we remember to put the phones in airplane mode.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks for the info.

I will make sure that she has a battery pack and her charger.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those solar cell USB chargers work well while camping if you don’t have a power bank. And aren’t hiking during all your daylight hours.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

dc3k posted:

is it worth the cost of the upgrade to titanium (or stainless steel? i can barely tell, the configuration page is so god drat complicated and it doesnt tell you the glass type until click one and scroll to specs) to get the sapphire glass on a watch? im replacing my s4 with an s8 later this year, and the "ion x" glass on it is pretty banged up from accidentally scraping it against walls or whatever over the last few years

IMO it’s not really worth it, the watch just feels heavier/more expensive with stainless steel. If anything the sports version is cheaper to upgrade every year or every other year and also easier to sell.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you really don’t want your screen banged up, the sapphire does the job. My series 5 stainless looks brand new. But that’s quite a bit of money just to avoid scratches.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How old is the watch? I know getting a weekend out of my S5, even with maximum power saving efforts, is a fantasy, but newer models might be more capable. Hiking apps, GPS usage, etc, will basically negate any power saving you'll do (IMO) and a cheap, slim battery pack in the tent is probably her most realistic option. Only annoyance is that since the watch isn't mainline Qi you can't just find a cool one with a Qi charger built in and you have to carry that drat cable around everywhere.

I've done a few weekend kayak camping trips and my experience has been very good with the watch, I just came to accept that it'll need a top-up once or twice a day :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Random Amazon sellers do make battery packs with the watch charger built in but probably not worth the premium.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is the water ejection feature supposed to vibrate every time? It did it the first two times I tried it but since then it’s only ever done the tones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is the water ejection feature supposed to vibrate every time? It did it the first two times I tried it but since then it’s only ever done the tones.

I don’t think it does for me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

How old is the watch? I know getting a weekend out of my S5, even with maximum power saving efforts, is a fantasy, but newer models might be more capable. Hiking apps, GPS usage, etc, will basically negate any power saving you'll do (IMO) and a cheap, slim battery pack in the tent is probably her most realistic option. Only annoyance is that since the watch isn't mainline Qi you can't just find a cool one with a Qi charger built in and you have to carry that drat cable around everywhere.

I've done a few weekend kayak camping trips and my experience has been very good with the watch, I just came to accept that it'll need a top-up once or twice a day :)

This is one thing that makes me hesitant to upgrade. My S3 will still last a weekend easily. When it was new it would go 4-5 days on a charge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll be honest and say I don't remember my S3 being drastically better than my S5 but it's also been so long since I owned the S3 that maybe it just got lost in the sands of my memory.

I'd be lying if I remember my S3 going more than 24 hours, but that could easily also be dependant on your day to day usage of the watch.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

She has an SE which usually does well (only down to 50%) but over the last couple of weeks, she has been down to 10% when we charge it at night.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is the apple watch supposed to do that optimised charging thing like the phone does sometimes?

I’ve noticed my watch has been on charge for more than 7 hours but the battery is still only at 84% it’s done this a couple of times recently but I can’t tell if it’s a fault or it’s just holding the charge like I’ve seen my phone do sometimes?

But I’m also a weirdo who only uses my watch when I exercise and I’ll sometimes turn the thing off if I’m not going to use it so idk.

It’s a series 6

edit: ffs no never mind after reseating the usb cable it’s charged to 89 already. I’ve got it plugged into this belkin surge protector that has a couple of usb ports

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Is the apple watch supposed to do that optimised charging thing like the phone does sometimes?

I’ve noticed my watch has been on charge for more than 7 hours but the battery is still only at 84% it’s done this a couple of times recently but I can’t tell if it’s a fault or it’s just holding the charge like I’ve seen my phone do sometimes?

But I’m also a weirdo who only uses my watch when I exercise and I’ll sometimes turn the thing off if I’m not going to use it so idk.

It’s a series 6

It's supposed to optimized charging but if you suspect something isn't right, give it a hard reset. I've run into times where a watch wouldn't charge at all when on the dock for hours and that fixes it.