Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Did she die her hair black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pros: none, theres no healthcare for menthol smokers, they arent getting help quitting nicotine either.
cons: affected members of base very mad at you

classic democrat policy win.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“You’ve got more questions? Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for menthols or not, then you ain’t black.”

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

quote:

Addressing recession fears on Thursday, President Joe Biden said: “Well, I’m not concerned about recession. I mean, you’re always concerned about recession, but the GDP, you know, fell to 1.4%.”

Help, my brain

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

lol I love the idiotic implication that it's gonna save lives because a bunch of nicotine-addicted people are gonna go "welp guess I'll stop smoking now I can't get menthols" rather than just train themselves to deal with regular cigs to get that hit

You're not gonna save Irish alcoholics by banning whiskey and scotch, we'll all just switch to tequila and vodka even if we don't prefer it

e: actually didn't they at one point try to ban flavored vape juices? Whatever came of that?

fast cars loose anus has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Apr 29, 2022

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

fast cars loose anus posted:

e: actually didn't they at one point try to ban flavored vape juices? Whatever came of that?
it's worse than that. biden made it illegal to ship ANY nicotine products through the mail through the PACT act, which pretty much shut down the e-cig industry overnight. obama actually started it with making it illegal to ship any cigarette-length tobacco through the mail (so no more buying duty free cartons for cheap or unique brands from wherever you want). and now no menthols, even from a local shop.

just let me smoke a loving cigarette, dude!!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol I love the idiotic implication that it's gonna save lives because a bunch of nicotine-addicted people are gonna go "welp guess I'll stop smoking now I can't get menthols" rather than just train themselves to deal with regular cigs to get that hit

You're not gonna save Irish alcoholics by banning whiskey and scotch, we'll all just switch to tequila and vodka even if we don't prefer it

it's like that soda ban bloomberg tried to do

doesn't really solve or fix anything, it's just nanny-state "i know what's good for you" condescension, taking away what little enjoyment or respite miserable people have by being cruel to them for no reason at all lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoWbQsf8MG4

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol they saw a chance to criminalize something that's done by black people more than any other cohort and they jumped at it. it's as simple as that, intentionally criminalizing stuff in such a way to hurt black people specifically.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

looking forward to people rolling their own cigarettes with a dab of vicks vaporub

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Banning “some” tobacco instead of all of it means you don’t give a gently caress about the negative health effects of smoking

In short:

empty whippet box posted:

lol they saw a chance to criminalize something that's done by black people more than any other cohort and they jumped at it. it's as simple as that, intentionally criminalizing stuff in such a way to hurt black people specifically.

This is exactly the intention behind the ban and its amazing how most people seemingly don’t understand this

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

looking forward to people rolling their own cigarettes with a dab of vicks vaporub

when they banned menthols in canada back in 2017, a co-worker told me he just bought a vial of peppermint oil and an eye dropper to make do lol

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I assume the end result of this is gonna be a bunch of lifehack tiktoks about how if you pop a mint in your mouth before you light up its close enough or something

The Joe Man posted:

it's worse than that. biden made it illegal to ship ANY nicotine products through the mail through the PACT act, which pretty much shut down the e-cig industry overnight. obama actually started it with making it illegal to ship any cigarette-length tobacco through the mail (so no more buying duty free cartons for cheap or unique brands from wherever you want). and now no menthols, even from a local shop.

The way you know they don't actually give a gently caress about stopping people smoking is that their reaction to vaping getting popular was "how do we stop this" instead of "how do we transition as many smokers as possible to this and then deal with vaping later, if at all"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Most pharmacies have blocks of pure camphor and menthol for the rare occasion we need to compound something containing them. Opening the jar containing those blocks/crystals carpet bombs the nearby area with extreme minty smells and opens the sinuses of everyone.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Subvisual Haze posted:

Most pharmacies have blocks of pure camphor and menthol for the rare occasion we need to compound something containing them. Opening the jar containing those blocks/crystals carpet bombs the nearby area with extreme minty smells and opens the sinuses of everyone.

couldn't you just dip the tip of your cig in listerine

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

empty whippet box posted:

"I smell menthols. Please step out of the vehicle"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
get a little paintbrush and paint a lil stripe of scope down the side of a marlblo

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Chamale posted:

"I smell menthols. Please step out of the vehicle"

Private prisons need more free disposable labor

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MLSM posted:

that's the way they're going to get everyone back to work

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

yeah this is the big thing to me. this is literally not going to accomplish anything other than piss off people, specifically ones who usually vote democrat if they vote at all

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MLSM posted:

arresting black people for smoking cigarettes and subsequently forcing them into unpaid labor in the prison system is actually for their own good, you see. it will save hundreds of thousands of lives.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
They probably aren't going to criminalize possession, just ban sales of it

No black people have ever gotten killed by the police for selling cigarettes, right?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The whole "run on/hoarding of/smuggling rings of" menthol cigarettes will I am sure also not cause any issues

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All the John Fetterman marketing focuses on how he's going to be tough and actually stand up to Republicans instead of be spineless and all I can wonder is how Dems are going to ratfuck him

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The whole "run on/hoarding of/smuggling rings of" menthol cigarettes will I am sure also not cause any issues

fenthols

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All the John Fetterman marketing focuses on how he's going to be tough and actually stand up to Republicans instead of be spineless and all I can wonder is how Dems are going to ratfuck him

he's just as much of a succdem as any of them, there is no chance he will do anything except get into office and then vote as he is told just like all the rest of them.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

She built her entire academic career off it.

It's incredible.

She was the first woman of color to be a professor at the Harvard school of law. I wonder if anyone ever went through and figured out who the actual first was after the DNA test debacle

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah I assume the end result of this is gonna be a bunch of lifehack tiktoks about how if you pop a mint in your mouth before you light up its close enough or something

The way you know they don't actually give a gently caress about stopping people smoking is that their reaction to vaping getting popular was "how do we stop this" instead of "how do we transition as many smokers as possible to this and then deal with vaping later, if at all"

When I still had cable I recall seeing a poo poo ton more anti-vaping ads than anti-smoking ads. Arent those all funded and produced by the cigarette industry as part of some self-policing awareness measure? I'd ask why not just fine the companies directly and then have people not entangled with the cigarette industry make the ads, but I know the answer would be some variation on the theme of corruption

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The point is less whether she had an impact and more that the only way to understand why that nothing of a campaign got so much media attention and funding is because people thought she'd stop Bernie.

Much like how Pete's entire campaign strategy makes no sense from the point of view of trying to win it all.

Or Bloomberg's.

Bloomberg's campaign was so fascinating in its execution. He just ran a poo poo ton of bland 'Trump bad' ads but didn't really touch on the other candidates at all, and his policy positions, when they were mentioned at all, were mostly bland gun stuff. His entire campaign seemed designed to strip out policy differences and make the primary purely about the importance of beating Trump, something 'safe' Biden would be seen as the best bet for in contrast to 'longshot' Bernie. If Warren and Butt were there to sap energy from Bernie, then Bloomberg was there to reorient the race towards fear of Trump and the need for a conservative candidate.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nothus posted:

Her poo poo talking pac money only to have her campaign kept alive by a single silicon valley donor explicitly to kill Medicare for all was :discourse:

lol I hate her so much for that

just a complete wrecker

also what has she done in the new democrat party led senate? anything?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

yellowcar posted:

it's like that soda ban bloomberg tried to do

doesn't really solve or fix anything, it's just nanny-state "i know what's good for you" condescension, taking away what little enjoyment or respite miserable people have by being cruel to them for no reason at all lol

Plus an excuse for the cops to go beat, arrest, or murder the small scale sellers who will figure out ways to source menthol cigarettes anyway and sell them on the street or whatever. More criminalization, specifically of stuff they are explicitly pointing out is more common in black communities. That's democrats!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

The Joe Man posted:

I want my drat Seven Stars so bad and have no idea how to get them here in MD. Thanks Obama.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Democrats are losing the Senate so it probably doesn't matter if a nominally lefter-than-the-other-guy candidate gets in because that vote isn't going to matter.

If it was a house race the Democrats would be blowing their whole national budget trying to pump up Lamb, even if Fetterman is saying all the right succ mantras. He still has the Bernie bro stink on him so they will never accept him.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

She was the first woman of color to be a professor at the Harvard school of law. I wonder if anyone ever went through and figured out who the actual first was after the DNA test debacle

I think my favorite bit of "Elizabeth Warren claims Native American heritage" lore is her having some recipes in the book "Pow Wow Chow" which, like her heritage, she stole

quote:

The two recipes for Crab with Tomato Mayonnaise Dressing and Cold Omelets with Crab Meat appear to be word for word copies of a French chef's design.

'When I was chef at Le Pavilion it enjoyed a considerable esteem in America, and the owner, Henri Soule, had one particular specialty that he would ask to have prepared for his pet customers. The dish was a great favorite of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Cole Porter,' wrote chef Pierre Franey in an article syndicated by the New York Times News Service on August 22, 1979.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Joe Man posted:

in the 90's a lot of hacks got easy laughs and cheers by being all 'THE FUCKIN BITCH SECRETARY SAID I CAN'T SMOKE IN THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE???' but now I'm just morphing into Dennis Leary and screaming I just want a loving smoke.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the democrats: crab with tomato mayonnaise dressing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

in the 90's a lot of hacks got easy laughs and cheers by being all 'THE FUCKIN BITCH SECRETARY SAID I CAN'T SMOKE IN THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE???' but now I'm just morphing into Dennis Leary and screaming I just want a loving smoke.

i keep thinking about smoking lately. i quit in like 2016…..

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the democrats: crab with tomato mayonnaise dressing

it's called aioli in the words of my people

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Thank god for Chantix, if only something like that existed for booze I'd have been able to change my life a lot quicker

I went from smoking nearly a pack a day to having smoked half a pack, total, between 2019 and now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao if you smoke tobacco in 2022