Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Monya the Grey: Start Chapter 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Havens

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Press X to HARVEST the Funny Online Animals or Press Y to RESCUE the Funny Online Animals

Funny Online Bureaucratic Incompetence

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Green Intern posted:

Holbrook, you can't do this. You haven't even shown anyone wearing masks in this godawful hellworld.
He routinely insists that Dethany has a whole bunch of visible piercings despite never having drawn them. Masks probably fall into the same "too inconvenient, can't be hosed" category.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Kind of compounding the set-up problems in Mark Trail by assuming that yes, they drove Mark's Dad to the burning lumbermill too, somehow forgot about him for several strips, so I guess he rode in the car and then instantly ran off as soon as they got there? This strip, man. :laffo:

Jucika "182 - Jucika And The Olympics"

"183 - Jucika Goes To Night School"

Panel 2 is art, every time!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ok you huge racist

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 2/2/35

Havana Notes

Yes, Everyday Movies is leaving Florida behind and moving on to Cuba. Hopefully this won't get too problematic...

All you wanted to know about Denys Wortman:
https://www.dwortman.com/

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Slightly different mix tonight because of technical difficulties.

Our Boarding House (November 21-23, 1921)

To make up for the lack of everything else, here's a full week of Little Lefty. (June 22-28, 1936)

This one's kind of hard to read, but let's give it a shot.

Hello, Comrade Kid! posted:

Dear Lefty;

The Youth Theatre offers its services and its (staffers?) for your super, stupendous, gigantic, colossal (???) production.

And I'm sure your pals will like our dolls and their doings as much as Patsy's revolutionary dance.

Sincerely,
The Youth Theatre

In this next one, however, the cross-promotion reproduces very well.

(Spoilered for two bougie asses.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 1-2, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 9, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 12-13, 1991)

No Blind Alley today

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Splashing someone with a bucket of water to snap them back to reality is a funny action.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

I do hope it was the case that she accidently fell asleep next to the kid and was woken the next morning by the ice cream van, as opposed to there being some kind of sadistic, evening-time ice cream truck going around the neighbourhood.

In any case, in today's Blueberry: Singleton and Bupp get extraordinarily lucky, or Angel Face gets upset at Mort, or Blueberry is not very great at improv

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 22, 2000)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Kind of compounding the set-up problems in Mark Trail by assuming that yes, they drove Mark's Dad to the burning lumbermill too, somehow forgot about him for several strips, so I guess he rode in the car and then instantly ran off as soon as they got there? This strip, man. :laffo:
It does seem like every Mark Trail character is always everywhere every other is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Like half of the new characters should have just stayed in their debut arc, too. I guess coming up with more characters to act as antagonists is hard.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I actually laughed at a foob for once because the 2020s Canadian equivalent of that is hearing Nickelback on classic rock radio.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

Like half of the new characters should have just stayed in their debut arc, too. I guess coming up with more characters to act as antagonists is hard.
And yet Kelly Welly is gone. Also Mark's new boss.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Of course Charlotte has gone to the aid of her erstwhile sidekick Claire. I leave it to you to decipher the wave of emoji that made up the missive which has drawn Lottie up to the capital.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 31, 1950)

As far as I am aware, "bad neighbor" was the name of a specific trebuchet built by the crusaders during the siege of Acre, not some general term for what appears to be a siege tower.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Knowing the concept of this strip but not being familiar enough to know the ancillary characters, I choose to believe that is Earth’s literal moon who has been transformed with DNA into a lab assistant. If I’m wrong, I don’t want to know.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Smets posted:

Knowing the concept of this strip but not being familiar enough to know the ancillary characters, I choose to believe that is Earth’s literal moon who has been transformed with DNA into a lab assistant. If I’m wrong, I don’t want to know.

It’s one of the thousands of clone polyps of a jellyfish they befriended and are using to dredge the ocean for gold

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

I don't know why this edit popped into my head, but it did, and now it's in yours.
Thanks for translating Into Ilves, I think it's great.

Outbursts of Everett True May 5, 1919

And He Did! May 16, 1919

The Wagon April 15, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 14, 1936

Mopsy December 22, 1937

Up Front April 3, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dozens_(game)

So It Seems July 3, 1952

Those Were the Days April 28, 1960

Wee Pals July 6, 1966

Dogbert March 29, 1967

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The nail test (23/1937)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: The nail test (23/1937)

Pounded in the Butt by Orientalist Stereotyping, by Chuck Tingle

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/28/02

Brenda Starr 8/22/48

Smokey Stover 8/10/47

Everyday Movies 2/4/35

"Now if we could only get a bill board concession on Morro Castle..."

Bonus Ad! Oh no, not calendar fat!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 28, 1934)

Peanuts (May 2, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 29, 1938)

Out Our Way (September 15-17, 1938)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Mary edition)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

I was wondering when someone would notice that. :D

Banker and The Butler started off as a New Yorker knock-off, but as a strip in the Sunday edition of a US Communist paper, you were kind of left waiting for the other shoe to drop.

(January 19 and February 2, 1936)

In recent weeks, things had escalated a bit. (May 31, June 7 and 14, potentially NSFW because of (ahem) cheeky humor.)

I wanted you to know I just spent entirely too much time synching these up with the Little Lefty cartoons to post somewhere else because I thought the juxtaposition was very funny and was disappointed you hadn't been posting Banker and Butler this entire time to maximize the impact.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True May 5, 1919

How dare he ever leave his office for any reason. He should be chained in there 24/7 specifically for Everett's sake! :argh:

quote:

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Those drat beavers!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I lol'ed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

You and Mandrake also have two heads between the two of you. You also have two bodies, whereas he only has one, so I think you two have the upper hand.

And yeah airlifting cows by helicopter seems like an incredibly expensive and difficult way to rustle cattle. Also I feel like people would hear the helicopter so it shouldn't really be a mystery.

e: Also since I fell behind on this thread due to real life circumstances and had to play catch up, I just remembered I want to give a hearty "gently caress you" to Holbrook when Safe Havens was going on about how humans having the ability to shapeshift would be bad. Like, the dude tries to be positive towards marginalized groups and that's great but he comes up with a bullshit magic solution for trans people in his universe and he wants to frame it as good and noble to deny it to them? That's really hosed up.

e2: I mean alright yeah it could cause some major problems as far as identity theft and whatnot, I'm not denying that, but being able to shapeshift people to their preferred sex would be amazing for them and I feel like scientist lady is kind of a monster since this could save thousands of lives but no, something something about Venus. Just rubs me the wrong way!

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You know, if at the end of this arc Bern realizes that this isn't healthy and she could use some therapy and even a psych major such as herself can have issues to work through, I would respect that.

It's not going to happen, but I would respect it.