Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it's also worth considering that while we have one new DPS and two completely reworked/new tanks, there aren't any new/significantly different supports in the beta. So you don't have the novelty there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Tracer feels severely underpowered now

I've been seeing this a lot but she feels identical to how she does on OW1 to me. Though I'm also not disagreeing with you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorJones posted:

role queue ruined this game.

I stopped playing the game like a year after launch and didn't start playing it again until they implemented the role queue.
It's literally the best thing they've done to the game.

Also you still have access to the open queue.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

How long is this beta? It seems like it's just going to divide an already reduced player base.

No official word, but they've said they're canceling the next few events in OW in favor of the redux thing. They did not say, however that they're cancelling the christmas or halloween events, so I'd guess we're going to get a 6+ month long beta as they add in more changes for a Q4 launch.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lister posted:

No official word, but they've said they're canceling the next few events in OW in favor of the redux thing. They did not say, however that they're cancelling the christmas or halloween events, so I'd guess we're going to get a 6+ month long beta as they add in more changes for a Q4 launch.

I've heard that they're doing several short-ish beta runs, with this first one being three weeks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
After seeing the current state of OW2, I can very much believe the earlier leaks that blizz was completely at a loss for how to balance 5v5.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jack Trades posted:

I stopped playing the game like a year after launch and didn't start playing it again until they implemented the role queue.
It's literally the best thing they've done to the game.

Also you still have access to the open queue.

I can’t imagine it hasn’t tanked the playerbase though—making somebody wait 10 or 15 minutes to get into a game seems like a disaster for retention.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

porfiria posted:

I can’t imagine it hasn’t tanked the playerbase though—making somebody wait 10 or 15 minutes to get into a game seems like a disaster for retention.

Open Queue literally still exists.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

After a few days, I'm not really enjoying OW2. The games often devolve into a deathball where whoever has the most raw damage and healing output wins, and occasionally you can find an opportunity to assassinate a healer, and then you win because your raidboss is now stronger than the enemy raidboss. Games just feel really one dimensional and unsatisfying.

Like, if i can trade my life for an opening pick on a support, I'll take that trade every time, because the force multiplier on the raidboss is worth so much more than my pitiful dps existence.

urea fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 29, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Some day a brave Blizzard employee will stand up in a meeting and point that since like 90% of the player base want to play DPS that maybe they should revise/delete the whole tank role and rebalance supports around it so the game might be fun.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They already did that; they call it “every other FPS in existence except TF2.”

e: Wait, wait, hear me out: what if every character had an assault rifle and their choice of one of three(!) different grenades

megane fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 29, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

But I don't want to play other games! I want Overwatch to play exactly like other games instead!

urea
Aug 18, 2013

other game, namely team fortress 2

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

urea posted:

After a few days, I'm not really enjoying OW2. The games often devolve into a deathball where whoever has the most raw damage and healing output wins, and occasionally you can find an opportunity to assassinate a healer, and then you win because your raidboss is now stronger than the enemy raidboss. Games just feel really one dimensional and unsatisfying.

Like, if i can trade my life for an opening pick on a support, I'll take that trade every time, because the force multiplier on the raidboss is worth so much more than my pitiful dps existence.

So you're saying it's still too similar to OW1?

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Arzachel posted:

So you're saying it's still too similar to OW1?

Maybe, I haven't played anything other than quick play classic in a long time, so I don't remember how degenerate the "intended" Overwatch experience is.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's still crazy to me that in almost two decades no one has managed to even come within a reasonable close to the fps genre high point of Team Fortress 2. Hell, people can't even hit the second place spot of Tribes 2.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jack Trades posted:

But I don't want to play other games! I want Overwatch to play exactly like other games instead!

They should make all the roles fun if they're going to force teams to run them.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The way to make playing support fun is to perma ban anyone who unironically uses the phrase 'reddit lucio'

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
i still have no idea why they don't put the entire team in the comms channel at game start. it's frustrating making callouts to see there's only 1 or 2 other people listening.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorJones posted:

i still have no idea why they don't put the entire team in the comms channel at game start. it's frustrating making callouts to see there's only 1 or 2 other people listening.

I'm pretty sure it does by default, some people just choose not to, and honestly I can't blame them.

The ping system at least makes it easier to make callouts without voice.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Well OW2 tested. I like it.

It's true that this feels more deathmatchy chaos, but that's pretty normal for PTR matches.
Comp is going to be a bit more organized chaos.
TTD feels shorter, but otherwise it feels like regular OW. New maps are good, I haven't really tried the new characters othere than Doomfist 2.0.

Why switch the slam button from e to shift? So many wrong button presses! :argh:

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Role queue ruined overwatch the first time because all strategy went out the window with it, along with game analysis. Sometimes your team just needs a little more damage, or a little more healing, or another shield to break through or hold an objective. Sometimes there’s just one guy on the other team that is wrecking your whole team and you would like to handle the situation but you’re locked into the role. All the spiciness left.

PC/console being able to play together ruined overwatch the second time. I used to play overwatch on pc by myself and on ps4 with my wife whenever we wanted to play together. Then they let us use our preferred platforms except now pc players can’t shut out console players from any quick modes and each game boils down to “who has fewer console players”. Sure we could both play on console together and shut out the pc players but knowing I could have a mouse instead has me enjoying it less.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol imagine getting mad at playing with console players in quick play modes

"ugh this filthy console user is the reason we keep losing mystery heroes!"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The real reason to get mad about mystery heroes is when the defending team suddenly gets a bastion, torb, sym, orisa, a mercy and a moira on last point and all you can do is say gg and wait to lose.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Always funny watching masters console players get their cheeks utterly clapped in your average level QP lobby. I hate the feature, but understand why they added it when the game was likely way more dead on console.

As for OW2, being one of the people who was still regularly queueing OW1 in current year it's great to play something that at least feels fresh. Playing around the one tank limit feels really strange so far, and your average beta enjoyer prefers trickling in to regrouping which makes for some sad games. But it is what it is, people are just trying out new stuff and I can't really make too many judgments without the full launch hero pool and tweaks.

In my tank games so far, Sigma seems like an absolute beast in his mostly unchanged state. If I found myself being burned down trying the changed tanks, switching to him usually turned the game around. Especially if they're running a lot of hitscan or hitscan adjacent, he has more useful defensive tools than the supposedly unkillable Orisa.

One thing that makes this feel like we're back in the OW1 beta days, certain ults and heroes feel like they've finally been unchained. Reaper ult can be a real game changer again without having to check off that 3 of your opponent's stuns are on CD first. Had one game where the enemy Rein hit us with multiple shatters that just wiped us out completely, hadn't been dominated like that in a while. If things aren't working and you don't adjust, it gets ugly fast.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Codependent Poster posted:

lol imagine getting mad at playing with console players in quick play modes

"ugh this filthy console user is the reason we keep losing mystery heroes!"

Definitely a valid concern, though i'm not sure how you would verify a specific person is a console player unless there is an indicator I am oblivious to. It would be more accurate to just say that OW1 quick play and arcade modes in general have (almost) no matchmaking, and it has made them unplayable in many cases. With console players being in the pool, it aggravates the issue.

There are all kinds of issues that severely eroded the quality of quickplay and arcade modes in the last 2 years or so, including matchmaking problems + poor player base, and issues with role queue causing players to queue for roles they don't really want to play just to get into games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Couldn't you choose to not be matchmaked cross-platform?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So i've given this a shot for a while and it truly just feels like a class based deathmatch game than anything else.

I'm already bored. Balancing is whack. The gun sounds seem somehow hosed. The visuals are weird and things keep blending in. The new UI is awful and I keep missing things too.

If anything positive, I really like the new scoreboard at least?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

Couldn't you choose to not be matchmaked cross-platform?

I believe consoles can opt out, PCs cannot.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I haven't played OW since like 2016 or whatever but really like the concept of a singular raidboss tank for the meta. The game also seems hilariously unfinished considering it's essentially a big balance patch, even if it's technically a "beta".

Also role queues are great but I would like to play something other than healer at one point, or at least get some extra compensation for it.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

acumen posted:

Also role queues are great but I would like to play something other than healer at one point, or at least get some extra compensation for it.

pick moira and RP dps. dps players are so poopy you can typically outdamage them.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I play a lot of ow1 as a garbage diamond main tank and from playing support in the beta (because of queue times) and watching my main tank just suicide in without any regard for their or the team's positioning, they've been living for far longer than I would have expected 1v5 without any support.

I main tank in OW1 because of queue times, guess I'm a support player now

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
for any brig enjoyers. the removal of her shield stun is pretty rough, especially with tracer and genji back in action murdering the back line. she seems pretty good against rein in that her shield bash still stops his charge. overall her damage doesn't feel great unless you can land a full combo.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

DoctorJones posted:

pick moira and RP dps. dps players are so poopy you can typically outdamage them.

Yeah I'll pick up a more damagey healer if I see a Lucio/mercy already. Still would appreciate having a pool of >7 heroes to pick from!

It's been a while but at one point I remember league giving you autofill protection if you get autofilled. Giving dps/tank priority to someone primarily queueing support would be rad

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Countblanc posted:

I believe consoles can opt out, PCs cannot.

This is correct. Also who plays mystery heroes? Worst game mode idea for a role based shooter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mystery heroes would be great if you didn't have to win arcade games to get the lootboxes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Macaluso posted:

Mystery heroes would be great if you didn't have to win arcade games to get the lootboxes

the solution is to just leave one of the pve modes in arcade

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Only thing better than mystery heroes mode, would be pick a random hero button on regular modes.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I pretty much exclusively play mystery heroes mode. It combines my love of gambling with my terribleness at shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mystery heroes is the best mode.

The other day we ran into a team that called themselves "Oops! All Lucios!" because they started out with 4 Lucios. That kind of ridiculousness you can only get with RNG.