Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Does anyone have any good reading on creating Minecraft mods? I'm a reasonable programmer in Python but the entire Java ecosystem and all the build bullshit and etc. isn't helping. There's a link in the OP to some guides on the topic, but they're all video tutorials, which I think are kind of bullshit for learning tech stuff. I've found this guy's stuff, which reads as OK for now, but alternatives are always useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Unfortunately no. If there is any nicer or more comprehensive guide out there I haven't found it. Seems the one you linked contains most of the content that other guides have (make item, make block, make tools, make enchant, etc.) so it's not a bad place to start.

My go to method for figuring out how the heck to do something has always been to find a mod that might do something similar to what I want on curseforge, see if they share their source code, then go through the headache of trying to comprehend what I'm seeing. Another important resource is that when you run all the setup steps, you have access to the deobfuscated minecraft code, so you can try to understand how the vanilla game works as well.

I'm not particularly interested in joining some random minecraft modding discord either.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
From what I've read the best way to go about it is

1) get good at Java
2) read the Forge docs

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
1.18 Mekanism Disassembler doesnt have vein mining any more.
Though the late game suit still has a module for it.
I assume it was to be more inline with new base game changes, but that was the only reason I made it only to find out it doesnt have it, :cry:

e:or maybe this modpack disables it by default

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 25, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Black Pants posted:

From what I've read the best way to go about it is

1) get good at Java
2) read the Forge docs

I've spent my entire computer-touching life trying to avoid getting good at Java and I'm loathe to start now, but I may have to

Khorne
May 1, 2002

death cob for cutie posted:

Does anyone have any good reading on creating Minecraft mods? I'm a reasonable programmer in Python but the entire Java ecosystem and all the build bullshit and etc. isn't helping. There's a link in the OP to some guides on the topic, but they're all video tutorials, which I think are kind of bullshit for learning tech stuff. I've found this guy's stuff, which reads as OK for now, but alternatives are always useful.
https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=Main_Page

McJty's tutorial always seemed decent to me. There's a companion github repo, too.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Khorne posted:

https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=Main_Page

McJty's tutorial always seemed decent to me. There's a companion github repo, too.

Well, today I learned what the runData configuration is for, that should save some future headaches.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

death cob for cutie posted:

I've spent my entire computer-touching life trying to avoid getting good at Java and I'm loathe to start now, but I may have to

All java developers deserve death
Source: java developer. please free me

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
The Killing .JAR

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This is pretty interesting
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/little-logistics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hI99VUqczw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqVOjcIBrhU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Finally, I can smash OpenTTD and Minecraft together. Also, the little trains and boats are cute. :3

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
These are adorable! And a neat little logistics solution.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gave rustic waters 2 a pop per suggestion slightly upthread; way better than 1 so far but i've only done the intro quests

No rats, thankfully. Still very scatalogical in its focus (early quest is to smush some fish poo poo together to make a "Feacon" to get on-touch water breathing), but the swimming is fun. Would second the recommendation if anyone wants a tech quest modpack

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are there any mods that add distributed powercells like flux networks or the RFtools cells with wireless cards for 1.18?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Xun posted:

Are there any mods that add distributed powercells like flux networks or the RFtools cells with wireless cards for 1.18?

Dumb question, but isn't RFTools already updated for 1.18? Though I haven't messed with it, so maybe powercells aren't working yet. Mekanism has the quantum things that can all be set to the same RF network.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Dumb question, but isn't RFTools already updated for 1.18? Though I haven't messed with it, so maybe powercells aren't working yet. Mekanism has the quantum things that can all be set to the same RF network.

Hm my impression from the description of the rftools power mod is that it does not contain the power cells I'm looking for and only has some new multiblock thing. I'll check out mekanism though

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I think a frustration I have with a lot of skyblock or similar packs is the focus on trying to stretch out the 'early' game by gating any kind of logistics and automation, has anyone played any good packs lately that don't think making you do a ton of bullshit by hand is engaging gameplay?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rustic waters 2 gets you into Create as, like, the first thing, which provides all the automation you can eat if you are handy with the mod.

it's not fantastic at teaching you it though - i'm currently stuck on trying to get enough RPM for an auto-mixer to work, and imo the quests probably should have hinted at being able to auto-collect your auto-sieve outputs using a fan or something

you get better automation and logistics later, and it's a pretty easy gate

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

rustic waters 2 gets you into Create as, like, the first thing, which provides all the automation you can eat if you are handy with the mod.

it's not fantastic at teaching you it though - i'm currently stuck on trying to get enough RPM for an auto-mixer to work, and imo the quests probably should have hinted at being able to auto-collect your auto-sieve outputs using a fan or something

you get better automation and logistics later, and it's a pretty easy gate

Put a large gear on a shaft, then connect a small gear to the large gear. The small gear will have more RPM than the original shaft.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but i need to scale up further than that

i have just realised though that i should be able to add a shaft to the faster small gear, and put a big gear on that shaft to keep the same rpm, which i can then use to repeat the scale-up. i shall try later.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah but i need to scale up further than that

i have just realised though that i should be able to add a shaft to the faster small gear, and put a big gear on that shaft to keep the same rpm, which i can then use to repeat the scale-up. i shall try later.

You don't even need the shaft, just put the big gear where the shaft would have gone.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Gears!! How do they work :psyduck:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Coming Create changes.
Its kind of becoming its own game

https://twitter.com/kryppers/status/1513545477651931137
https://twitter.com/kryppers/status/1513666835471908864

pseudo breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHkcKSrw0M

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm sad that it doesn't seem to have the appropriate sound effect for those old-fashioned flippy signs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm finally stumbling into the end of Nomifactory. I got a tier nine miner but I'm waiting on the stellar creation data (20,000 solidified hydrogen requirement out of nowhere!). I've gotten most of the parts in place for the tier 10 miner, but had to up my capacity on a lot of lower tier stuff. Are there any other resource requirement surprises I should just start filling in now? I had to do a special setup to deal with all the hydrogen balls, but most of the tier 10 stuff has been adding capacity or removing limiters on existing passive automation. I'm trying to figure out if there will suddenly be a random requirement for 64,000 steaks or something.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm finally stumbling into the end of Nomifactory. I got a tier nine miner but I'm waiting on the stellar creation data (20,000 solidified hydrogen requirement out of nowhere!). I've gotten most of the parts in place for the tier 10 miner, but had to up my capacity on a lot of lower tier stuff. Are there any other resource requirement surprises I should just start filling in now? I had to do a special setup to deal with all the hydrogen balls, but most of the tier 10 stuff has been adding capacity or removing limiters on existing passive automation. I'm trying to figure out if there will suddenly be a random requirement for 64,000 steaks or something.
I think I gave recommendations of what you need to stock in here a while back, check the ? for my previous posts on it. tl;dr you're good for tank but I remember that you're going to need to stock millions of diamonds and red coal for creative drawer if you're going to continue, so you should start now if you're futzing around waiting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh yeah I took care of that when you posted it. I haven't had shortages there.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Rocko it sounds like you're pre-tank, so just do whatever to sprint to that one heart for tank and then you will be able to essentially ignore a big chunk of mat requirements via tanks & solidifiers.

like Bhodi i was also going nuts on diamonds (even post-tank) until i realized that you can tank Crystal Matrix, don't make the same mistake. it's been a little while but here are some of the mats i remember having to wait for or got surprised by shortages of while doing the endgame quests:

* Red Coal, as mentioned
* Flight Control Unit & Glowstone Elevation Unit (figure out how to passive these properly
* Grains of Infinity (you need to micromine this, and also don't create an ae2 loop with recipes)
* Prescient Crystal
* Energy Crystal
* Dilithium Crystal
* Wetware boards
* most or all of the 'final' tier circuits, especially Wetware Circuits
* Ender dragon scale
* Wither bone
* All of the higher tier heavy plating
* Lots of wires and foils and such, this is much easier to handle than the rest though
* Draconic fusion crafters. i made a tower of 40 of them lol, a little overkill, 20 would prob be fine

i definitely missed some pain points but those were the major bottlenecks in the last week or so of crafting 500 infinity ingots to win

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was doing fine with that list until I looked up at my one draconic crafting setup. I think I have a basic, single machine passive crafting setup for all of the other stuff and the pre-requisites, although I don't really send out miners automatically for base materials. Did you have to really scale any of that stuff? Like, for the solidified hydrogen, I had one setup that would solidify hydrogen already, but it took something like 9 seconds and I needed 81 of them to get one stellar creation data. So I ended up with four processing arrays with 64 solidifiers making them last night, and that's disregarding a similar level of scale to electrolyze the water.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I loaded up my old base and made a few more screenshots (shadowplay is alt-f1 so you get to enjoy the stupid wheel in the middle, can't be bothered to turn it off) https://imgur.com/a/XFLWSBh I added some notes for each SS

Things I remember having to scale/do post-tank:
First heart goes to tank, second heart should go to make a simulation supercomputer. I ended up building 2, and in retrospect I probably should have built ~4 because I kept running low on ender pearls/diamonds/dragon data. You can use the copy-paste device to copy most of the blocks and poop them out easily. Flux starts to become annoying to come by.
2 large micro universes (you can connect both to a single interface on blocking mode if you put them side by side - You need at least 2 because hearts take forever to make
Make maybe a dozen mk2 naq reactors to tide you over until creative power
Your energy ORB to the max level
A LOT of autocrafted recipes in order to make a creative power block (this should be your next goal)
Up to ~50 draconic crafters (you can't use them all until creative power but you'll need them, I did the 5 item interface around an unpackager and lasers to connect to a stackable array)
Endless nether quartz (and glass to feed into it) I think I had 2 PAs making glass and dedicated 1 making quartz
A 5 parallel array stack for smelters
A 6 parallel array stack for wetware boards (and 3 PAs for the stem cells to put in there)
A parallel array each for lathe, macerator, electrolyzer, etc.
5-6 Dedicated assembly lines (see SS)
A parallel array for each circuit
Chorus Flower + Fruit (one drawer-full each is fine)
2 PAs of macerators and a nitric acid conversion for expanded ore processing (I forget which ore, but you bring in and break down a bunch of dense ore that you can't tank from sending the miners, maybe emeralds? lapis? I forget.)
You need a TON of dilithium crystals that you end up having to send autominers to get, ender resonators and all of the crystal types need dedicated crafters.
I ended up sending microminers for infinity dust, my dust generation couldn't keep up.

Before you get stuff truly going and creative power, you don't need to fill all the PAs with all super good machines, but if you build the PAs even if you only put one machine in initially you will thank yourself later

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 4, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
:smithicide: I wasn't even thinking about post-creative-tank.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Reinstalled Blightfall. Man, this pack is good, but also man it needs GTNH's NEI real bad

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Reinstalled Blightfall. Man, this pack is good, but also man it needs GTNH's NEI real bad

Good thing you can put it in yourself, then.

Also TCNodeTracker.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been blowing over a week trying to build the tier ten miner in Nomifactory. I just keep coming up short on something. What frustrates me is that I decided to then start making some of the intermediate ingredients--stuff that was listed as "To Craft" in AE2--and then I somehow became short of even more stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tonight Java just keeps crashing while I'm messing around with Nomifactory. Yesterday, Java updated to 1.8.0_333 but it seemed fine then, and it's still crashing with 1.8.0_321. I don't see any special flags for Nomifactory in my MultiMC instance--just heap settings (2GB min, 8GB max, 128MB permanent generation). Are there some other flags I should think about?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'd like to play some modded MC with my friend, does anyone have cheap servers they'd recommend? That way, either one of us can hop on and we don't need to deal with the annoying bullshit of having to host.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Tonight Java just keeps crashing while I'm messing around with Nomifactory. Yesterday, Java updated to 1.8.0_333 but it seemed fine then, and it's still crashing with 1.8.0_321. I don't see any special flags for Nomifactory in my MultiMC instance--just heap settings (2GB min, 8GB max, 128MB permanent generation). Are there some other flags I should think about?

I was having issues like that and it turned out to be a faulty memory module. I only saw a problem with Minecraft packs because that was the usual time my system was using more than 8 gb memory and getting into the second set of modules.

So I’d suggest using system rescue cd or some other boot disc to run memtest and make sure it looks ok.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Qubee posted:

I'd like to play some modded MC with my friend, does anyone have cheap servers they'd recommend? That way, either one of us can hop on and we don't need to deal with the annoying bullshit of having to host.

If you go back a page or two there’s a link to how to get a free server in oracle cloud. Might take a little while trying to create an instance though, took me about a week before I was able to create a vm.

I’ve been using gtxgaming.co.uk for other servers and they’ve been fine, but I haven’t done a Minecraft one with them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This was super easy to set up and is running great for me. Hell, I was able to migrate my world that I was playing on locally to the server and everything transferred without issue so I can now just keep playing in my world and invite people over anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This was super easy to set up and is running great for me. Hell, I was able to migrate my world that I was playing on locally to the server and everything transferred without issue so I can now just keep playing in my world and invite people over anytime.

I should have shouted out this post too. I've been running a Vault Hunters server for my friends and yes been running great, even briefly ran 2 servers at the same time. Only caveat is it requires a bit of manual work and cli knowledge.

Protip the arm servers don't have screen but do have tmux for session detaching