Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PerniciousKnid posted:

If I can travel through time and swat Cthulhu with the Empire State Building I might have to pick up AH LCG.

For what it's worth, the new release structure started with Edge of the Earth makes it a *ton* easier to recommend. You need a core set for some tokens and basic cards, but then the campaign is just in one big box, with all of the investigator and player cards in a second big box. The old model had you buying a campaign box that had the investigator's basic cards and the first two scenarios of a campaign, and then you'd have to hunt down *six* dumb blister packs for the rest of everything, and it was a pain to sort and store.

The other upshot of the new model is that it allows them to do really cool things with the campaign structure and special rules and stuff - in the past there was an expectation that you could run any of the blister pack scenarios outside of a campaign as a standalone, which kinda meant they needed to stick to the basic mechanics, because you might not have new tokens or whatever from the campaign box (admittedly, they moved away from this towards the end of the previous release model). Now though, they can get weird with stuff. EotE really rekindled my interest in the game hard, it did a ton of really creative stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rockman Reserve posted:

So am I going totally crazy here or did Arkham Horror LCG just tease honest-to-god Carmen Sandiego as an upcoming investigator?

Link?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

no, he’s from Zelda

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1518998462414659590

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Uh, that’s amazing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any opinions on the promo stuff for Steampunk Rally? I've already got base + Fusion. Many of the promo inventors seem to be pretty gimmick but there are a few (Da Vinci, for example) that look like stuff that didn't make the cut rather than just a wacky one-off

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

So am I going totally crazy here or did Arkham Horror LCG just tease honest-to-god Carmen Sandiego as an upcoming investigator?

They've teased a few new characters now and they're most likely going to be NPCs or allies rather than player characters, but it seems like each one is associated with one of the player classes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There are very pre-existing Investigators left to add (about 10 or so last time I checked) so given the popularity of the game I expect we'll see plenty of new faces in the near future. Considering their last three new investigators were a Native American pilot, a transgender mailwoman and an Asian-American boxer, I'm very curious to see who else they add.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 28, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I expect we'll see some new faces for this expansion because I think of the 10 or so AH Universe investigators they haven't used, only two of them are women and all of them are white.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

Hey Magnetic North, I think more people read your OP than you realize! Cranio had to cancel their KS because 2/3'rds of the backers backed at the $1 pledge. I think that's pretty funny.

And people are tired of this poo poo "They set a fake super low campaign goal (an annoying trend) and really needed to hit 200,000-300,000 to make the project viable, and were way off actual projection."

Particularly with Cranio you'd have to be a real sucker to make a full pledge (opinion of course) and I suspect more and more KS's who offer $1 pledges are going to see folks choose that. There's zero downside and the company doesn't get to keep your money for years.

They say they are going to re-launch it but I doubt it. Bet they send it straight to retail.

It's funny, I was thinking about this 'lifehack' when listening to Leder Games' April 2022's April Designer Chat with Patrick Leder and Cole Werlhe. They talked about lots of stuff, but I wanted to start about here.

They bring up the fact that Arcs will only be on Kickstarter. Immediately following that, clearly aware of the controversy, Cole specifically mentioned that they would have a $1 access point for the pledge manager and updates, and the way he put it is seemed like a reference to this 'lifehack' for those that still wanted to support the project and Leder Games. They are both clearly were unhappy with KS's blockchain announcement. To quote Cole regarding crypto and NFTs: "they would be funny if they weren't so evil".

The most interesting point was Patrick's rationale of why they haven't left KS yet. He said they wanted to "maintain our leverage over the situation". They've both been talking to people at Kickstarter about their dissatisfaction, but if and when they leave the platform, KS will stop listening to them. It's clear that Patrick feels that he in a rare position where he could potentially be a part of changing this policy, which is something I hadn't considered. Also, Cole talks about reassessing if this announcement is ever actually implemented, which I suppose is part of why they may feel that they have the leeway to try and change things instead of immediately leaving in protest.

One could disagree with the viability of the plan, but the position seems rational enough to me. I'm sure that someone could say that Patrick is just saying this so he can stay on KS and not lose money from marketshare, but I dunno. Patrick Leder does not seem like the kind of guy who puts on elaborate aires.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Some ~Table Bling~ arrived today. Linking in full res for the extra :swoon:

All the tiles are reversible and have coasters on the back.

The tile that is already a coaster?

They also included a $25usd gift card as my order shipped late.
Continually impressed by all my Wymwood products.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Infinitum, you're rapidly rising on my shitlist for consistently having a ton of really cool board game related paraphernalia that I'm desperately envious of but cannot justify buying myself, which makes me angry and frustrated.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Infinitum posted:

This is so extra and I must have it. Was it a lot for shipping? How did you pick which tiles to get?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FulsomFrank posted:

Infinitum, you're rapidly rising on my shitlist for consistently having a ton of really cool board game related paraphernalia that I'm desperately envious of but cannot justify buying myself, which makes me angry and frustrated.

This was quite expensive and what I used my tax return on last year.

I also got a major pay rise late last year which has enabled me to purchase some bling for my table I've wanted for a while. I'm incredibly fortunate I'm able to afford something like this, but I'm also an idiot that doesn't put enough towards savings cause lol imagine ever thinking about owning a house as a Millennial

This Saturday is the first time I'll be playing on my new table, with new playmat, and new tiles. I'm quite excited.
Will post fully setup bling later.

Morpheus posted:

This is so extra and I must have it. Was it a lot for shipping? How did you pick which tiles to get?

You can order via Wyrmwood's backerkit
https://hexagonal-gaming-system.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
Looks like orders placed now ship in October.

Shipping to Australia was $45usd, but I ordered a lot of stuff.

Everything above is in Black Walnut

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now show us the $1000 set of custom poker chips for train games too :getin:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It was only $90 CAD
https://roxley.com/products/iron-clays-200

:v:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i have a couple dice trays from them but i just couldn't figure out how i'd actually use tiles. also was thinking about the table but made my own, very happy i went that route. they've moved over to cnc and lasers and i just have a hard time paying for their stuff now that it's not really hand crafted anymore. they do weirder stuff now (like the tabletop tiles) but i think it kinda kills the vibe. i'll buy the gm screen unless they gently caress it up terribly though

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

not trying to poo poo on your tiles btw, i think they're cool as hell i just couldn't figure out what games i'd really use them for

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A 25th Faction for Twilight Imperium 4th Ed.!!!

That is Print and Play :saddowns:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/4/28/the-council-awaits/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

not trying to poo poo on your tiles btw, i think they're cool as hell i just couldn't figure out what games i'd really use them for

No yeah I get it. Y'all can literally walk into an IKEA and get a set of bowls for $2 that do exactly the same thing these do vs $40aud I paid roughly per tile.

This is just bling, and having nice quality components for me and my players to use.
I like the idea of high end 'heirloom' stuff I'll be using 3 decades down the track.

I get that it's wanky :v:

djfooboo posted:

A 25th Faction for Twilight Imperium 4th Ed.!!!

That is Print and Play :saddowns:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/4/28/the-council-awaits/

Me who was already planning on doing an 8 player draft this weekend: :getin:

Edit: Bought 900 card sleeves so I can add in the print and play errata :v:

Mayday stuff is nice and cheap only cost $30aud for 1000

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 29, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

No yeah I get it. Y'all can literally walk into an IKEA and get a set of bowls for $2 that do exactly the same thing these do vs $40aud I paid roughly per tile.

This is just bling, and having nice quality components for me and my players to use.
I like the idea of high end 'heirloom' stuff I'll be using 3 decades down the track.

I get that it's wanky :v:

i’m absolutely dedicated to spending unnecessary money on tabletop gaming tactile and aesthetic feel. i just don’t really play games that the tiles would be useful for i dont think.

the best things wyrmwood has come out with recently have been the veneered class dice trays. those look really nice and actually use their new equipment in an awesome way. a ton of their accessories now are just CNC manufactured, which is totally fine, but doesn’t make me want to spend the money unless there’s a specific utility i’m thinking of. i have cupholders on my game table so i wouldnt just buy a set of coasters either.

are you using the d&d tracker tiles or just the component holders? if the component holders are actually deep enough to be useful i could see getting a set of those, let me know what you think.

i’ve followed wyrmwood for years and i think post mgt the company has grown in a direction that sort of turned me off to their “brand”. latest thing they’re developing are little dice vaults to carry joints around in.

i think the best gaming purchase ive made has been a laminator for character sheets and wet erase markers. im currently debating sourcing a spiral binder (comb binding sucks) so i can actually use all the pdfs i have for various dungeon crawls

i’m currently playing through a warhammer quest campaign with an overland map and i’m just building out the dungeon rooms with dwarven forge tiles. got my littlemonk expansion books printed and bound so i have a shitload of content to work through.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

it actually seems insane to me to play a physical game and not go to every length to make sure components have a satisfying weight and feel and there’s an ambiance to the room that fits the game. the whole attraction of board games to me is the physicality of the medium

like if i want to just play a game and that’s it i would just play video games

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ambiance to the room? Like, mood lighting and music and stuff? I know some groups like doing that but no thanks for me.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For me, the number one thing I'm looking for is the company. I want good food and good drink and good friends. I've played plenty of board games on folding banquet tables, and I've played plenty of games on bespoke tables.

Playing with nice stuff is nice, but I've found zero correlation between nice stuff and my best experiences.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I may be alone in this but I think there is a ceiling to how much good components can enhance a game but probably no floor to how much bad ones can detract from it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No, that makes sense to me. I'm partial to simple but solid components

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've found there's definitely a lower limit to component quality. When I play my Mayfair edition of Modern Art with its tiddlywink money I'm conscious that they're impeding my enjoyment. But once things cross a pretty low threshold, I start to make rude remarks about overproduction. Having played with both metal coins and punchboard ones, I'm happy with the cheaper option.
As for themed music, for some dumb reason I find that stuff acutely embarrassing. Playing Fire in the Lake to the soundtrack of Apocalypse Now, I'd just prefer silence.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Tried playing archipelago with fancy metal money once, but it's really hard to do a blind auction with money-in-fist when the money clinks together.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A game with good design can be a lot better with flashy components (return to dark tower) but a game with bad design and good components is still a game with design problems (looking at Root here).

Im a big sucker for flashy toys though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean my absolute favorite game is Napoleon's Triumph, which has these gorgeous simple wooden blocks and an amazing map.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

Tried playing archipelago with fancy metal money once, but it's really hard to do a blind auction with money-in-fist when the money clinks together.

The big one was when someone put out metal coins for Five Tribes. All coins in Five Tribes are one-sided, so people can see how many coins you have to bid for turn order but not their exact value. <hastily erects Mayveena-proof shield>

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A game with good design can be a lot better with flashy components (return to dark tower) but a game with bad design and good components is still a game with design problems (looking at Root here).
I am (genuinely) curious to hear a take that praises Return to Dark Tower over Root.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I can enjoy a lot of games even with cheapass components looking at you Sidereal Confluence first edition. Paper money is usually my deal breaker though

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Glagha posted:

I can enjoy a lot of games even with cheapass components looking at you Sidereal Confluence first edition. Paper money is usually my deal breaker though

Unless it's Millennium Blades where you get to literally throw wads of cash at each other.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I will gladly take wooden cubes and punched cardboard over $150 worth of minis and models and 'upgrades' that are jus there to take money. However, I would also 100% go all out and get the coaster/card holders/tables/ bowls etc. that can be used for pretty much any game, like the ones posted earlier. those are keen.

Mr. Squishy posted:

As for themed music, for some dumb reason I find that stuff acutely embarrassing. Playing Fire in the Lake to the soundtrack of Apocalypse Now, I'd just prefer silence.

My wife likes having background music, so we usually have random movie soundtracks or 80's music or something playing quietly in the back ground. I usually rarely even notice it until we are about 5 drinks deep, but by then the games are getting much 'looser' anyway

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The components should complement and enhance the aesthetic of the game. Terra mystics made of wood while Gaia project is made of plastic, for example. And yeah NT and guns of Gettysburg being wooden blocks on a map is just the best.

Background music is fine but it should just be for vibing. One day I’ll get a real gamer RGB table though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The next f2f game i have planned - maybe next weekend - is gonna be Root

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Root: Marauders coming in made me rearrange my desk so I could set it up on the side. Which should allow me to get a lot more use out of the robot factions than I have been. The only other table I have is in prime pet territory which ends in :catte: victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

enigmahfc posted:

I will gladly take wooden cubes and punched cardboard over $150 worth of minis and models and 'upgrades' that are jus there to take money. However, I would also 100% go all out and get the coaster/card holders/tables/ bowls etc. that can be used for pretty much any game, like the ones posted earlier. those are keen.

My wife likes having background music, so we usually have random movie soundtracks or 80's music or something playing quietly in the back ground. I usually rarely even notice it until we are about 5 drinks deep, but by then the games are getting much 'looser' anyway

I was actually going on to my friend about how I have grown to intensely dislike the plastic ships in Twilight Imperium and would gladly play with wooden cubes and various geometric shapes of varying sizes. Some games it works fine (the Matagot DOAM trilogy), others not so much.