Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just finished 6 and that game especially has Kiryu not really feel threatened by anyone in story, he just mows through them without breaking a sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The defining trait of the most reoccurring boss fight in 6 is that he's a pissant poser wannabe.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I enjoy the weird reveal at the end of the Paradise VR substory in LJ that Cane Man may or may not be twin brothers or just a guy with a split personality. Also the revelation that Mr. Try And Hit Me is just some guy without any distinguishing characteristics.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, turns out nothing juicy is coming out of the Nico Nico stage event. Yokoyama said up front that they're hard at work making RGG8, voice recordings have started, and the scenario team is working hard but he cannot mention anything more than that. He also mentioned they have "several" (he very almost said a number then though better of it) other projects underway but he doesn't want to mention any specifics as projects often end up unreleased.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Miscellaneous stuff

- 'RGG Studio' technically doesn't exist (on paper) it's just a name they call themselves.

From Q&As:

- They once considered a Three Kingdoms spin-off game but the scale meant it would have cost too much.

- When deciding what to make for the game that became Kenzan, one of the other ideas they considered was a school story with Kiryu as a teacher.

- "Why did that character have to die?" If they had to live at the end it makes them harder to write. They can have these characters (Nishiki, Mine, Ryuji were the examples they gave) do absolutely horrible things because they're going to die and disappear at the end and they don't have to worry about a redemption arc. "They were written to die in the first place"

- All the character profiles were made up for guide books and never factored into development.

- There have always been, and still are ideas floating around for an early Tojo clan story (pre Dojima) though there are no current plans.

- No current plans for the Kurohyo series, but Yokoyama expressed interest in remaking them for current gen.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

- "How do I raise my child to be a man?" Just feed him lots, you don't really want him to be like Kiyru or Ichiban do you?

- Yokoyama and Nagoshi argued constantly throughout the development of Kenzan. Yokoyama wanted to make a story that would be interesting for people who know history and Nagoshi wanted to make a story for that would still be interesting for people who don't.

- Kazama's VA was somewhat difficult to work with because he was so incredibly professional. As a result though it made working with other big names a lot easier in the future.

- People think Yokoyama's favorite food is yakiniku (it does come up a lot in the series) but these days he actually prefers fish.

- The most Yokoyama has ever cried in his life is at the end of Toy Story 3 (though he's never seen 1 or 2) and Coco. He also cried during the recording of the finale of Y7.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 29, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RillAkBea posted:

- There have always been, and still are ideas floating around for an early Tojo clan story (pre Dojima) though there are no current plans.

holy poo poo, kazama prequel is coming. believe.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Honestly cannot imagine a more boring character to play than Kazama

Edit: poo poo wait I forgot Yagami exists

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kojiro posted:

Honestly cannot imagine a more boring character to play than Kazama

Edit: poo poo wait I forgot Yagami exists

they'll proto-kiryu him lol also young kuze and awano will be there

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yeah let's have an orphan collection minigame! Gotta keep murdering parents and training their kids up til you find yourself a shiny Kiryu with good stats

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this one has beeyootiful... eyes...

i think i'll keep him

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
idgaf about boring moustache man, give me a Sayama spinoff you cowards

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

idgaf about boring moustache man, give me a Sayama spinoff you cowards

Taking place on America, the gameplay will have to be more like Dead Souls

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kashiwagi game or gently caress off

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

RareAcumen posted:

This guy gets it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s like five metal gear solid games already though?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

bobjr posted:

I just finished 6 and that game especially has Kiryu not really feel threatened by anyone in story, he just mows through them without breaking a sweat.

6 spoilers: the whole point is that these assholes aren't Yakuza (Iwami's title card identifies him as CEO), which makes them incredibly dangerous to Kiryu. There is nothing to appeal to here and they will target his loved ones instead.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

very good point

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Obatarian game or gently caress off

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

This but it comes next in the timeline and it's a bar management simulator

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

oh no!

https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1519997442913091586

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Man, speaking of pocket racers: it scratches such a weird itch trying to make the cars go just that little bit faster.

Both that and the hostess mini game from 0 and 2 are mobile games I would absolutely play

I could never figure out exactly what determines when the cars lose control. You can obviously reach the point where it never happens, or the point where it always happens, but there's this middle range where it seems inconsistent.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I used a guide for pocket circuit and I regret nothing

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo, kazama prequel is coming. believe.

how are they gonna retcon it so that kazama never actually killed anyone?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lol i saw "oh no!" followed by a RGG post promoting something and was worried they were getting into NFTs. what a delightful surprise

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I could never figure out exactly what determines when the cars lose control. You can obviously reach the point where it never happens, or the point where it always happens, but there's this middle range where it seems inconsistent.

Honestly :same:

I think it has something to do with how fast you're going vs stability and weight. My biggest guess without like.. looking for it in memory is that there's some sort of stamina stat that ticks down when you're going through corners/jumps/etc that is influenced by the stats on your car.

Which is why your car can be perfectly good and fast for like 15/16 laps or whatever, then falling out at every turn/jump. Luckily I didn't really mind making small tweaks and running endless test laps to get everything just right as best I could

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

how are they gonna retcon it so that kazama never actually killed anyone?

easy now that i think about it for a couple minutes given the studio. kazama is forced into exile from the tojo clan due to shibusawa and/or awano framing him. the antagonists hire a hitman who undergoes plastic surgery to look like kazama and take his position to conceal internal strife from the omi. kazama eventually clears his name and shimano kills the body double after the climatic fistfight.

kazama agrees to protect the clan's secret and pretend it was him all along but out of guilt for being unable to stop the murders in his name from occurring forms the orphanage to ensure that the children are taken care of.

if they actually do this 75% of my semi-joke post is gonna happen, i love those games so much but certain things are kinda predictable by this point

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

two words: identical triplets

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sudden Javelin posted:

I used a guide for pocket circuit and I regret nothing

Kiwami Pocket Cars are pretty well balanced but man, I did 0’s on my replay after going through the series and realizing how much call backs it gets (I feel like more than Amon since Pocket Car Fighter shows up in 0/K1/6/LAD) and it is definitely inflexible enough that I wouldn’t blame anyone for not just ramming their head against the time trial wall looking for the perfect combo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Honestly :same:

I think it has something to do with how fast you're going vs stability and weight. My biggest guess without like.. looking for it in memory is that there's some sort of stamina stat that ticks down when you're going through corners/jumps/etc that is influenced by the stats on your car.

Which is why your car can be perfectly good and fast for like 15/16 laps or whatever, then falling out at every turn/jump. Luckily I didn't really mind making small tweaks and running endless test laps to get everything just right as best I could

I think speed also varies during a match based on the battery you use, though that implies lower speed late into a race. There's also variation on the basis of which lane you're in during turns (since that changes how narrow the turns are and varies by lap).

Though in my case, I would see variation when running the same race with the same equipment. Like one run my car would fly out on lap 8, and the next run (with the same equipment, with me seeing if I can keep it stabilized using the button pressing differently) it'd fly out on lap 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
100% use a guide, there's nothing fun about trial and erroring such a linear task, especially since they could just calculate and tell you ahead of time without making you go through all the menus and cinematics. Fun part is the substory itself.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Kiwami Pocket Cars are pretty well balanced but man, I did 0’s on my replay after going through the series and realizing how much call backs it gets (I feel like more than Amon since Pocket Car Fighter shows up in 0/K1/6/LAD) and it is definitely inflexible enough that I wouldn’t blame anyone for not just ramming their head against the time trial wall looking for the perfect combo.

Yeah I gave up on trying to finish that substory when I played 0, some of the later races seemed to demand a pretty specific build that I couldn't be bothered to tinker with and find. Now that I know how much that guy comes back, I'm gonna just use a guide and finish it when I get around to my next replay.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

100% use a guide, there's nothing fun about trial and erroring such a linear task, especially since they could just calculate and tell you ahead of time without making you go through all the menus and cinematics. Fun part is the substory itself.

I ended up doing this. I started out wanting to see if I could get through the whole thing without some part that you get from one of the vending machines (plus one or two others that I think you get from the pawn shop or something), but never could beyond a certain point. Is it even possible to finish only with parts purchased in the Pocket Circuit shop?

edit: IIRC the "High-Torque Motor 2.0" was just this massive upgrade that seemed necessary to get anything to work, but it isn't obvious where to get it. I was able to beat most later races on my own after getting it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 29, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In Kiwami at least, no, you need parts you get from substories or shops or vending machines or whatever out there. Parts seem to be needed equivalent to their tier, ya gotta have the babyfart parts to win baby race, need the medium ones for medium, etc etc. i get that it would be bad design for you to jut get the godspeed gears from bob utsunomiya and auto-win race, but it'd be more fun than either fiddling with menus and failed races over and over till you get whatever combo they want for that one

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I enjoyed figuring it out, but it definitely involves a lot of trial and error

Biggest thing a guide helps with is showing you where to get the special parts. I don't think you can actually beat the extra stuff without the random parts you can get from other tasks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As always, CyricZ is doing the lord's work

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

lol i saw "oh no!" followed by a RGG post promoting something and was worried they were getting into NFTs. what a delightful surprise

A YGG getting confused by a Kamurocho scam artist promoting NFTs is too pitch perfect a substory.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wow, if those jackets are actually embroidered and not just a transfer, they're a pretty good deal. Though it looks like they're not lined like a proper skajan.

I'd love to get the Ono sweater but those international shipping rates are pretty harsh.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I dunno if I just got lucky or the AI is better in remastered but I didn't find the 4th guy in fighter maker that bad in yakuza 4? Notably shitter than the first 3 but not the hell of retrying fights over and over that the internet said it would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

Wow, if those jackets are actually embroidered and not just a transfer, they're a pretty good deal. Though it looks like they're not lined like a proper skajan.

I'd love to get the Ono sweater but those international shipping rates are pretty harsh.

There's a few closup photos, it does look embroidered on both front symbols and the back graphic. I went and got the Ichiban one.