Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It really won't in 2022 when 0.0 are using rorquals for industry, yeh there is Delve 911 but you got to remember that it's not all about PvPers all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

because forcing people into actually having to risk things will actually bring people back to the game.

not being able to do anything outside of major groups is pretty much what killed any small scale players outside from the 3 groups of people who still play at a small scale

the mantra of "if we force people to play the way we want, they'll play the way we want, not just log off" has been behind most of the ccp disasters from the past 10 years

if your idea of getting players back into the game has the phrase "forcing people" it's a bad plan

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

evilweasel posted:

the mantra of "if we force people to play the way we want, they'll play the way we want, not just log off" has been behind most of the ccp disasters from the past 10 years

if your idea of getting players back into the game has the phrase "forcing people" it's a bad plan

i think of it more of a 'return to form', as in "hey we're making it so small groups of people can actually kill something other than afks"

eve is the only game in this market where a group of 5 people can hunt in popular areas and get no kills for hours and be mechanically unable to actually engage in pvp if the person is even remotely paying attention

the fact that there is so much instanced and completely safe and uninteractable content in the game (and it's the best way to get wealth for normal players) is probably the most damaging contributing factor to eve's decline.

what can you do if you wanna kill people? absolutely nothing, better hope some moron isn't watching dscan, or is so bored he wants to commit suicide into your ships

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
there should be safer content, but let's not make some of the highest isk/hr and easily multiboxable activities effectively perfectly safe if you're at your keyboard.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

These arguments are always fun, albeit repetitive :v:

Instanced pve needs to die.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

or kind of like the 'opt in' model, make it so observatories make it like a 5 second delay and it brings bounties and ore back to pre-buff and give it like a fuel cost and make it attackable or smthn. that would be epic i think.

i think there are tons of groups of 3-10 people who would play eve if they could reasonably force some kind of PvP engagement in the game.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Wibla posted:

These arguments are always fun, albeit repetitive :v:

Instanced pve needs to die.

They could make a hacking game on filaments then you can get in, hunt, and kill the dude, but still need to get out before the 15 minutes is up.

Maybe one you intrude in the instance the pve guy gets a notice, maybe not!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No miner in empire is watching d-scan. Ever. It’s some sort of myth gankers have latched onto. Solo mining You can sit there obsessively staring at the screen, for something you may get unlucky and miss anyway,* or you can not give a poo poo about D-Scan and watch local for a number jump knowing that half an hour of ice mining will replace your retriever. The key is that sensible people are solo in a barge not a hulk. Group ops it’s different because you can watch gates.

*if it’s a half decent ganker who has a cloaked ship in the belt with you for the rest to warp to anyway.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

or kind of like the 'opt in' model, make it so observatories make it like a 5 second delay and it brings bounties and ore back to pre-buff and give it like a fuel cost and make it attackable or smthn. that would be epic i think.

i think there are tons of groups of 3-10 people who would play eve if they could reasonably force some kind of PvP engagement in the game.

Maybe if we could drop a bubble in high sec that converts the area in a 0.0 field with no concord inside this bubble.
Just brainstorming.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It would be a lot simpler to start a major diplomatic incident and fight in 0.0 - it’s not empire’s fault goons are lacking people to fight

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

learnincurve posted:

No miner in empire is watching d-scan. Ever. It’s some sort of myth gankers have latched onto. Solo mining You can sit there obsessively staring at the screen, for something you may get unlucky and miss anyway,* or you can not give a poo poo about D-Scan and watch local for a number jump knowing that half an hour of ice mining will replace your retriever. The key is that sensible people are solo in a barge not a hulk. Group ops it’s different because you can watch gates.

*if it’s a half decent ganker who has a cloaked ship in the belt with you for the rest to warp to anyway.

it's almost like no one is talking about highsec here.

in highsec you don't need dscan, you set 3 alliances and people with negative sec status to red and warp out if they enter system, just like anywhere else in eve.

it's not as if ganking is common anyway, you could do literally nothing other than mine in .7s with a full tanked midslot barge and the chance you get ganked approaches zero. just don't do it close to jita or uedama

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

A local blackout is not going to improve ganking. To get decent ratting ticks you already need to be fielding billions worth of ships and if the enemy has 30s let alone a minute to get the drop on you the risk/reward for ratting skews even further to the point where literallly noone (as opposed to today's practically noone) is going to bother.

when I left in 2016 delve was like a lush serengeti plain where lions would come and feast on the more idiotic, un-aligned antelope. And there were plenty of them because anyone could rat effectively so more people did it. Then it appears someone came and mowed the grass and all the stupid, unfit antelope starved and had to resort to sitting around in caves licking moss off the walls for sustinence. Only the fast, well built ones who can risk being out on the plains that are left and now the lions are complaining that their legs are too short.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

NtotheTC posted:

A local blackout is not going to improve ganking. To get decent ratting ticks you already need to be fielding billions worth of ships and if the enemy has 30s let alone a minute to get the drop on you the risk/reward for ratting skews even further to the point where literallly noone (as opposed to today's practically noone) is going to bother.

this is why you buff the gently caress out of nullsec life while blacking out local

bring some actual risk back into the game :)

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

this is why you buff the gently caress out of nullsec life while blacking out local

That would be Jspace (which has an even more thinly spread population than null) but with sov

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is that 0.0 is already buffed in comparison to the rest of the game, especially PvP.

What you want here is a war with the FCs fielding small gangs, the fundamental problem is that pos warfare is annoying and bad

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The problem is that 0.0 is already buffed in comparison to the rest of the game, especially PvP.

What you want here is a war with the FCs fielding small gangs, the fundamental problem is that pos warfare is annoying and bad

no what people want is a return to the carrier ratting days where there was big game and small game to hunt

that's what people were promised with prosperity

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remove PI and waste and it will happen, till then capital ship industry will continue to be a total ball ache.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

That would be Jspace (which has an even more thinly spread population than null) but with sov

but with gates and sovereignty and structures and respawning and- wait nothing like it in reality!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

learnincurve posted:

wrong, nullsec is actually inferior to wormholes and pochven in isk generation significantly, and highsec is comparable since you can no-risk run incursions with 5+ accounts making abil an hour, or breaking burners with a couple accounts for 500m an hour with 1 combat t00n13, or multibox abyssals for 220m an hour per character

all of the highsec stuff done in total safety, btw :)

i don't know why anyone does PvE in nullsec outside of it's ease to entry for low skill players, and to hang out and play with friends, or back when rorquals were insane

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ya the main reason I don't do any of that stuff in high sec is it requires more effort than I'm willing to put in. It'd be nice to make a billion isk in an hour but 5 accounts drat...

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

also i lost the folder of (i think) 25+ accounts that were created, posted pro-ccp content and ended up banned or deleted within a week.

here are just two that i skimmed through my own post history to find

not really a conspiracy nut but kinda sus u know, one of them even has the default buy-from-ebay automated name names.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
What's the story with Father Delve?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

i think of it more of a 'return to form', as in "hey we're making it so small groups of people can actually kill something other than afks"

eve is the only game in this market where a group of 5 people can hunt in popular areas and get no kills for hours and be mechanically unable to actually engage in pvp if the person is even remotely paying attention

the fact that there is so much instanced and completely safe and uninteractable content in the game (and it's the best way to get wealth for normal players) is probably the most damaging contributing factor to eve's decline.

what can you do if you wanna kill people? absolutely nothing, better hope some moron isn't watching dscan, or is so bored he wants to commit suicide into your ships
You say this as if small gang PvP'ers aren't the most risk averse people in all of eve.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

I thought the last time they tried that most of nullsec was deserted by PvE players in about a day and PvP players about a day later.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
havent we talked at length about how humans in general are incredibly risk averse and that despite how much everyone claims to want a fair fight or a space duel or whatever what they actually do in practice is blob up so that they can win without much risk at all

edit: if you only enjoy non con pvp, there cant be a harsh/perma death mechanic

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 28, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Grinch posted:

havent we talked at length about how humans in general are incredibly risk averse and that despite how much everyone claims to want a fair fight or a space duel or whatever what they actually do in practice is blob up so that they can win without much risk at all

Sure, but you still have a gradient.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Delta sqad will take any fight/bait

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

TheWeedNumber posted:

Remove all D name posters from EVE

:ohdear:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dalmuti posted:

Delta sqad will take any fight/bait

But will it ligma balls?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

add 60 second delay to local in nullsec, double bounties and make ore refine into 50% more ore for nullsex ore

whoa fixed the ecosystem!

I'd even be happy with 30 seconds that starts ticking down once you've broken your gate cloak

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hobologist posted:

I thought the last time they tried that most of nullsec was deserted by PvE players in about a day and PvP players about a day later.

blacking out local changes the response time you need to save your ship from ~10 seconds (fun) to instant or impossible (not fun)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stereotype posted:

blacking out local changes the response time you need to save your ship from ~10 seconds (fun) to instant or impossible (not fun)

Sure, sure, but have you considered that globby likes ganks and therefor for the good of the game we need to help globby?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

Watch dscan and Intel and you'll know something's coming if you're paying attention.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Lethrom posted:

I agree, space is overrated, bring back Dust 514

This but unironically

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Can we at least make dscan update without loving spamming the keyboard then? FFS

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Loky11 posted:

What's the story with Father Delve?

What happened, must've been something serious to take down a fellow with such powerful local game.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ajaxify posted:

Can we at least make dscan update without loving spamming the keyboard then? FFS

active d-scan pinging that makes you easier to scan down would be amazing

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Watch dscan and Intel and you'll know something's coming if you're paying attention.

how do you think intel works? it's going to be worthless if gankers can fly through a system without ever showing up on local

i'll say it again, ganking is hard right now because there are so few people ratting and the ones that are ratting tend to be the ones sharp enough to be paying attention. I'm not going to be undocking 2bill worth of ships for you to destroy if the odds are that far in favour of the gankers succeeding and the rewards aren't worth the risk

someone's already said it but requiring pve-ers to mash the dscan button every 3 seconds is madness, noone is going to be doing that

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 29, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah the fundamental problem is that null pve keeps getting merged hard enough the idiots stop

idiots need to be lured into danger, you can’t make the game work by trying to make it so the smart people can’t defend themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

evilweasel posted:

yeah the fundamental problem is that null pve keeps getting merged hard enough the idiots stop

idiots need to be lured into danger, you can’t make the game work by trying to make it so the smart people can’t defend themselves

yeah the goal is that in order to have the highest rewards, you need to put yourself at risk.

the current status quo is people running 10+ accounts ratting or mining and warping off as soon as a hostile enters local or comes into the area, p much making the requirement of being 100% safe simply being at your keyboard

Mederlock posted:

I'd even be happy with 30 seconds that starts ticking down once you've broken your gate cloak

this would be epic

Dik Hz posted:

You say this as if small gang PvP'ers aren't the most risk averse people in all of eve.

they really aren't, considering 50%+ of eve players have 1 or fewer pvp death a year.

Hobologist posted:

because they didn't buff nullsec in any way when they introduced blackout

and it wasn't really, there are a ton of kills during blackout