Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

History Comes Inside! posted:

My brother brought his over yesterday to show us some cool poo poo you can do with them and we had that and my wife’s running just fine like 2 feet apart in our living room while they were both in vr chat or whatever.

Nice, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

My wife and I play together daily without either headset interfering with the other. The only thing we each have to have our own router to Airlink to our PCs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New update for Blaston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Gs-Leiudw

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wa27 posted:

Oh no you're going to summon the guy who says the power off/standby functionality of the Quest is perfect and we're all dummies again.

I mean if you use it right and wait for it to actually shut down it does. If not your unit is hosed up and you should RMA it. You can be a dickhead and try to throw shade all you want, but it dont change the way poo poo works and it dont change the meaning of a word. Go touch grass or something.

BrainDance posted:

You are not the only one. I've had a Quest 2 since not too long after it first came out and I have yet to figure out how to shut it off while plugged in and keep it shut off.

Hold the button until it powers off.
Plug it in.

It makes an audible sound when its powering off. Let go of button when it does.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh no it's happening again.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My Q2 will frequently wake to a black screen when I press the power button and I have to power it all the way down and restart

As far as I know there is no fix for this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Why on earth would you directly respond lmao

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

Why on earth would you directly respond lmao

Why wouldn't I?

You aint my dad.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Why wouldn't I?

You aint my dad.

Who is? Could you call him and have him come pick you up?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And can I gently caress him.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mutata posted:

Who is? Could you call him and have him come pick you up?

He was murdered.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And can I gently caress him.

I could probably find you his grave address/location if you really wanted.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Check please!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
mine stays powered off every single loving time. Not that I don't believe some users are having it turn back on. Maybe plugging into a PC connected USB will do it?

anyways troubleshooting is simply impossible for some and if it elicits feelings of frustration and inferiority plz do not attempt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

mine stays powered off every single loving time. Not that I don't believe some users are having it turn back on. Maybe plugging into a PC connected USB will do it?

Your dad or your quest 2?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
If you interrupt the power supply when the Quest is on that lil boot loader screen with the battery, it causes a full boot up. I only started noticing it after getting an external battery but I could see it happening to people who keep their poo poo plugged in to a PC via usb (depending on power management settings).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

i must compose posted:

Check please!

Good night, everybody!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

:five:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

im curious about the USB 3 over ethernet or whatever it is. Please purchase that thing and get back to us

Another follow up to this, I went and did it.

I got this pcie fiber to usb3 card, figured, pcie, lower latency maybe skipping a step there. Over two 20m single mode fiber cables and then a long usb3 cable.

I believe it's made by Transwan, a Chinese company that does this sorta thing. The thing is, on their website everything in dollars is like 300 minimum, the pcie card alone is 298 dollars. But here, the whole thing + cable was 1052RMB or about $160 USD. No idea what's up with that, I kind of wonder if there is a way to buy it for cheaper directly from China and import it to other countries.

But either way, after a rocky start (Windows didnt recognize it at first until I took it out and put it back in, I discovered you have to disable airlink to get normal link working again, I found out a setting I had set in oculus debug tool that works great for air link causes a major graphical glitch in normal link, the Quest guardian is still poo poo that causes stuttering and I think my guardian was too small during testing and the problem went away disabling guardian completely, there was a lot of swearing involved) it seems to work completely fine.

Played a little beat saber to test it out and was as if it wasn't over about maybe 30m of cable.

Now I wonder what the limits are. The max length for single mode fiber is 40km, gonna need someone who lives in an open, flat area that is not densely populated to figure that out for me.

Now I gotta go get all this loving cable up in my ceiling.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BrainDance posted:

Another follow up to this, I went and did it.

I got this pcie fiber to usb3 card, figured, pcie, lower latency maybe skipping a step there. Over two 20m single mode fiber cables and then a long usb3 cable.

I believe it's made by Transwan, a Chinese company that does this sorta thing. The thing is, on their website everything in dollars is like 300 minimum, the pcie card alone is 298 dollars. But here, the whole thing + cable was 1052RMB or about $160 USD. No idea what's up with that, I kind of wonder if there is a way to buy it for cheaper directly from China and import it to other countries.

But either way, after a rocky start (Windows didnt recognize it at first until I took it out and put it back in, I discovered you have to disable airlink to get normal link working again, I found out a setting I had set in oculus debug tool that works great for air link causes a major graphical glitch in normal link, the Quest guardian is still poo poo that causes stuttering and I think my guardian was too small during testing and the problem went away disabling guardian completely, there was a lot of swearing involved) it seems to work completely fine.

Played a little beat saber to test it out and was as if it wasn't over about maybe 30m of cable.

Now I wonder what the limits are. The max length for single mode fiber is 40km, gonna need someone who lives in an open, flat area that is not densely populated to figure that out for me.

Now I gotta go get all this loving cable up in my ceiling.

incredible!! you are a trailblazer in the realm of homes wired for VR thank you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Played some Demeo with a friend of mine for the first time probably since they added saving using the PCVR Oculus version and that game's still real good. I love how the models look almost like Heroclix if you're looking at the board from afar but when you get close everything gets way more detailed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

explosivo posted:

Played some Demeo with a friend of mine for the first time probably since they added saving using the PCVR Oculus version and that game's still real good. I love how the models look almost like Heroclix if you're looking at the board from afar but when you get close everything gets way more detailed.

I've only played it twice so far.

The first time I did single player and I did the first dungeon and then ended up having to stop playing and didn't go back to it.

The next time I went "why not? I'll do quick play".

I joined a game with two 14 year old American kids in a panic, the board was full almost edge to edge with bad guys, and they were going "Oh dude what class will you play?" and I was like "Uhh this is literally my second game". A super high level guy joined and said "wtf is this" and one kid disappeared eventually and the other apologised his headset was running out.

Eventually I ended up with that high level guy and 3 other randomers re-running that dungeon and the high level guy was quite good at explaining the game. Joining into that board full of enemies was crazy though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the game can get quite hard and I wouldn't really try playing with randos, especially jumping in mid game. It likes to spawn new enemies in darkness so even if you've swept through an area if you don't have line of sight new enemies can pop in back there. If you're not meticulous about sweeping through a level as you work through it you can easily become overwhelmed. I think you can do solo and control the whole group, that might be better?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Manager Hoyden posted:

My Q2 will frequently wake to a black screen when I press the power button and I have to power it all the way down and restart

As far as I know there is no fix for this

Mine too of it sleeps for any amount of time except very short sleeps of a few minutes. It's really frustrating.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

explosivo posted:

Yeah the game can get quite hard and I wouldn't really try playing with randos, especially jumping in mid game. It likes to spawn new enemies in darkness so even if you've swept through an area if you don't have line of sight new enemies can pop in back there. If you're not meticulous about sweeping through a level as you work through it you can easily become overwhelmed. I think you can do solo and control the whole group, that might be better?

Honestly the mad level full of bad guys was fun in a weird way. It was just so crazy to jump in half way through and see everyone panicking surrounded by unlimited enemies.

I think what it was is that one of the enemies has an ability to summon more enemies. Who in turn can summon more enemies. The lads I joined clearly had mucked around too much and hadn't bum rushed the boss and thus got themselves into a pickle.

I keep meaning to play again but the headset nearly ran out of battery even with the extended battery and starting like 75% charged so that puts me off a bit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alright, got my tax return!

Is Vader Immortal pack worth the 15 bux?
I assume it's a one-and-done kinda game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Alright, got my tax return!

Is Vader Immortal pack worth the 15 bux?
I assume it's a one-and-done kinda game.
I'd say so, the main game is very much that but the dojo mode is well worth it - in episode 1 it's a genuinely great little skill test and a decent workout, episode 3 is just a blast with force grabbing blasters, throwing lightsabers around, plucking droids out of the air and throwing them at each other etc. Lots of fun unlocks like Darth Maul lightsaber and that sort of thing.

I don't know what the episode 2 dojo is like because I figure it's somewhere in between so I don't care.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Facebook never gave me a coupon code but next month, they are giving me $397 since my state sued them for stealing my biometric info.

Looks like I am either buying some more games or I am buying my wife her own head set.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lozareth posted:

My wife and I play together daily without either headset interfering with the other. The only thing we each have to have our own router to Airlink to our PCs.

what games do you play together? my friend and I have been looking for stuff to play in the same room (or online)

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Booyah- posted:

what games do you play together? my friend and I have been looking for stuff to play in the same room (or online)

My wife and I play Walkabout Minigolf, Demeo, and Cook Out together in the same room. I recommend muting your mics

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Facebook never gave me a coupon code but next month, they are giving me $397 since my state sued them for stealing my biometric info.

Looks like I am either buying some more games or I am buying my wife her own head set.

With that kind of money, you could sell your Quest 2 and buy an Index :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I would pay good money for Dr. Beef to port No One Lives Forever and Amnesia: The Dark Descent to my Quest, ngl

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is that the final amount? The case has been in limbo for a while because two or three people appealed the case due to believing the lawyers were taking too big of a cut from the settlement. Last I saw, it just said $200-400 depending on the total number of payouts.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So what do people do if they don't have a Facebook account? I deleted mine last year and have no plans on reactivating but I'm very interested in getting a Quest 2 for to get into PC vr after the PSVR was kind of a dud.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

So what do people do if they don't have a Facebook account? I deleted mine last year and have no plans on reactivating but I'm very interested in getting a Quest 2 for to get into PC vr after the PSVR was kind of a dud.

Get a headset from a different company or get fuuuuucked.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you have an android phone or tablet you can get your hands on for like 5 minutes then you can bypass Facebook entirely.

There’s a warning that they’re going to force Facebook in January 2023 but since then they’ve also said the Facebook requirement is going to be removed so :shrug:

Make an oculus developer account from your computer to sign in with initially, start setting it up then quoting myself:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/facebook-technologies-llc/oculus-2/oculus-2-36-0-0-5-242-release/ is the specific one I used, you basically setup in the headset all the way to the “please enter this code into the app on your phone” section, then go into the app and try to pair an original Quest.

The headset will act as though you successfully entered the code, but the phone won’t even give you the option to enter one because it’s the wrong headset and that’s it, everything just works.

You’ll need to install the Oculus Link software on your pic and sign in with the same developer account and that’s it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I guess if you have an old oculus account you can sideload some apk thing to janky activate the thing? Someone posted about it here not long ago.

Otherwise, you don't. You buy another headset.

New pico might work out if you wanted to go that route?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

having a facebook account just for the quest shouldn't be a big deal if you go through the privacy settings and ensure nobody can search for you or interact with you in any way
i've almost forgotten about mine after i turned off notifications from the main facebook app

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

King Vidiot posted:

With that kind of money, you could sell your Quest 2 and buy an Index :v:

Not that much, its actually quite affordable compared to giving money to facebook

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

having a facebook account just for the quest shouldn't be a big deal if you go through the privacy settings and ensure nobody can search for you or interact with you in any way
i've almost forgotten about mine after i turned off notifications from the main facebook app

It's less about the social aspect and more for the terrible privacy practices Facebook has.

If you have an android phone or tablet you can get your hands on for like 5 minutes then you can bypass Facebook entirely.

There’s a warning that they’re going to force Facebook in January 2023 but since then they’ve also said the Facebook requirement is going to be removed so :shrug:

Make an oculus developer account from your computer to sign in with initially, start setting it up then quoting myself:

You’ll need to install the Oculus Link software on your pic and sign in with the same developer account and that’s it.

Sweet, that seems pretty easy. Any hiccups with that method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Haven’t found any yet, everything seems to be working fine. Free stuff from the oculus store works and everything on PCVR is working fine too over the link thing.