Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GolfHole posted:

here's a fun challenge: come up with a decent wrestling gimmick in tyool 2022

Orange Cassidy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, I doubt the best promo men in the business could have done much of anything with "mustache".

All he had to do was avoid burying himself on the microphone, and he couldn't even do that.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, I doubt the best promo men in the business could have done much of anything with "mustache".
easy

you tell a story about a guy you knew who grew a mustache to cover up his herpes

then you go "but I always knew, see? whenever I looked at him, I knew. the mustache wasn't there to look good, it was there to cover up something. he wanted it to seem like a sign of his manhood... but all I saw was insecurity. I saw right through, to the weakness, and the disease underneath"

and then you could be like "see I don't come out here in a ten thousand dollar shirt, with jewelry around my neck or on my fingers. I don't pay rock musicians to play my theme music. I don't sell myself as anything but what I am"
or "you won't find any hidden insecurities on this face. I wear my scars proudly, because I'm not ashamed of how I got them, and that's something money can't buy"
or "see at the end of the day, all the bravado in the world won't get you an inch over real confidence, because real confidence has to be earned, it comes from knowing- not thinking, KNOWING- that you're everything you say you are."

you could take it a thousand different places, depending on your persona. you could play up the humor aspect or the puritanical aspect. you only need the basic premise and then you can work within it and make it your own

and the basic structure just comes from understanding metaphor and being able to free associate. it's actually not far from an old speech and debate challenge, or an old theater warm-up practice
a mustache is an affectation, so you can riff on the subject of appearances and performance and authenticity
if you got "flower" you could talk about how they always die after they bloom, or a flower with damaged petals from growing through a crack in the concrete, or how flowers are grown just so we can kill them to temporarily make our own lives a little more beautiful

there's a story about paul heyman where they sent him out to work the crowd for a couple minutes as a rib and then didn't start the next segment and just left him out there by himself to work the crowd without telling him what was going on, and they figured they'd wait until he started floundering for something to say, and he never did. paul e just worked the crowd for like 15 straight minutes until the people pulling the rib eventually had to go "... okay he's too good at this, we have to move on or we'll run out of time"

giving eli "mustache" was probably a rib, but it was also a test of his showmanship and creative thinking
macho man cut an entire promo about coffee cream and I don't think anybody even told him to

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

GolfHole posted:

here's a fun challenge: come up with a decent wrestling gimmick in tyool 2022

Pullin’ the old Nikolai Volkoff (or Nikita Koloff for the WCW nerds) evil Russian gimmick out of storage. And, in the grandest tradition, have him played by a Polish guy from Passaic, New Jersey.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I fondly remember Curtis Axel shouting "The chains are off! The chains are off! The chains are off!" Don't think it went anywhere but it was funny.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's not that Curtis Axel is a dumb name, it's that their rationale for giving him that name is that he was the son of a guy named Curt and the grandson of a guy called The Axe. Naturally, Curtis Axel. People will make that connection. When they see Curtis Axel, they will say, "Right, yeah, I get it."

I suppose he would've been Mr. Perfect Jr. if Vince didn't hate the word junior.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Friend of mine always joked that his name should have been Mr. Acceptable.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gavok posted:

“And starting this moment... from now on... from this moment on... this will be the moment... starting now... of the genesis of McGillicutty.”

Poetry. :golfclap:

Also, whenever I see McGillicutty, I think Beulah.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Animal-Mother posted:

if Vince didn't hate the word junior.

but of course

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

YeahTubaMike posted:

I liked the way Joey Styles would sort of puke out that name.

"It's :barf: Beulah :barf: McGillicutty!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Animal-Mother posted:

I suppose he would've been Mr. Perfect Jr. if Vince didn't hate the word junior.

Hell, it's gotten to the point where Vince hates siblings having the same name. The Usos have a younger brother in NXT 2.0. It is mentioned that they are brothers, yet WWE decided that Solo Sikoa shouldn't have the surname "Uso" (which , of course isn't their real surname either; it's Fatu, but can't have people connecting them to their popular father Rikishi).

They hired the brother of Olympic medalist/rapist Gable Stevenson, but they made him change his name too.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Between requests for Cornette, Kaufman, and early wrestling stuff, I decided to just mash it all together and do a sort of general history of pro wrestling as best I can. Like, go back further than Sydney Buttocks went.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Every time someone mentions Vince having a weird view on something and how he absolutely stomps out any dissent and has his vision on his show it makes me wonder. When he dies, there is going to be a colossal shift in WWE and I don't know if we are going to be ready for it. I'm not even sure he has a successor in mind like any other company would have (including Disney that made it their hallmark).

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The heir apparent for many years was his son-in-law hunter hearst helmsley but now that he's proven himself unworthy by having heart failure Vince will most likely just decide to live forever

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

YeahTubaMike posted:

Poetry. :golfclap:

Same

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Justin Godscock posted:

Every time someone mentions Vince having a weird view on something and how he absolutely stomps out any dissent and has his vision on his show it makes me wonder. When he dies, there is going to be a colossal shift in WWE and I don't know if we are going to be ready for it. I'm not even sure he has a successor in mind like any other company would have (including Disney that made it their hallmark).

vince is going to sell the company to nick khan and his children will be lucky to get an advisor role in the new company

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince is going to sell the company to nick khan and his children will be lucky to get an advisor role in the new company

I am horrified to think about it what the WWF may look like without McMahons at the helm. What if the new owners let wrestlers use first names?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Weekly guest hosts like SNL

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bonzo posted:

Weekly guest hosts like SNL

i think they already tried this

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think they already tried this

They did. Bob Barker was really good at it, as you can probably imagine. Every other guest was terrible.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I am horrified to think about it what the WWF may look like without McMahons at the helm. What if the new owners let wrestlers use first names?

what if they’re allowed to sneeze? Or nod? Or say the words “belt” or “wrestling”?

titties
May 10, 2012

Prof. Crocodile posted:

A few years ago they were taking away everyone's last names so pretty soon each wrestler superstar will be represented by a pictogram that represents their finishing move or catchphrase

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

gbs but from 2004 posted:

what if they’re allowed to sneeze? Or nod? Or say the words “belt” or “wrestling”?

This is my favorite part of vince's psychosis. There's just an unwritten list of completely normal things that people in the company must not say or do.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr. Baps posted:

This is my favorite part of vince's psychosis. There's just an unwritten list of completely normal things that people in the company must not say or do.

i will miss vince when he is gone because of this

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thought the thread might enjoy this, Herman Munster was a professional wrestler for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyLvASrpwk

titties
May 10, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Thought the thread might enjoy this, Herman Munster was a professional wrestler for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyLvASrpwk

Lol ghengis cohen

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Prof. Crocodile posted:

They'll probably start marketing pro wrestling to middle school aged kids again, instead of, uh, who's pro wrestling marketed to now anyway?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Extra Large Marge posted:

who's pro wrestling marketed to now anyway?

Vinve McMahon

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

spaceblancmange posted:

Has this thread had an effort post about British wrestling in the 70s and 80s (not offering but would like to read)

Spuckuk posted:

seconding this, its remarkable how wrestling just...died in the UK for the longest time

The problem with this, and with most of the territory stuff is that you'd have to be at least in your 50s to remember it, and if not you're just relaying second-hand stories from people who used to have fake fights for a living and who would then deliberately injure you in bar fights if you suggested as such. But I can give you that much.

What most people remember of British wrestling is a company under the name of Joint Promotions, which was originally set up in the UK as an equivalent to the NWA (the non-Ice Cube one) but eventually was consolidated as a single entity and changed ownership several times, including for most of the 70s and 80s where it was a subsidiary of William Hill. And, for all the carny things Vince McMahon has ever done, he's never been a bookmaker offering prices on his own fixed fights. That's an actual racket. But... it was acceptable in the 80s.

But that isn't the name that people remember - Joint Promotions never particularly promoted themselves heavily as the brand, they didn't need to as long as they had an effective monopoly position on the sport. It was always just introduced as "wrestling from York Hall", or whatever. The name people remember is World Of Sport which was the name of ITV's Saturday afternoon sports variety show, which would run opposite Grandstand (remember Grandstand?) on the BBC. And at this point, there were three television channels to pick from and twenty million people would tune in to Morecombe & Wise every loving week, so that Saturday afternoon slot was a huge deal, particularly considering there was no competition from the US.

And then there was a boy named Shirley.

Shirley Crabtree Jr. had a brief run in the 60s, but then got out of the business, until his brother Max was given the booking power for Joint Promotions around 1975. And so, Crabtree came out of retirement as a (billed) 6'6, 375lb wrestler in his mid-40s, sporting a top hat and cape and being given the name 'Big Daddy', which apparently Max had stolen wholesale from Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. But I've never seen Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, so that's fine.

And, somehow it worked. In the 70s. I think if you did this now you'd be somewhere between "open parody" and "put his name on the list":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQuLZcYLit4

But then he needed a rival. And if there's one thing a big fat man with limited cardio is truly afeared by, it's a biggerer, fatterer, wheezier man who struggles to shift his own frame. And so enters Martin Ruane, better known as Giant Haystacks, who was purported to be 6'11 and 650lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDBd6-SGo4

This was the worst wrestling you've ever seen, by some margin. It's essentially worked sumo. But, as evidence that wrestling nerds are always wrong, it was this feud that captured the public imagination. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that this is the El Santo vs Blue Demon of British wrestling. If you do the Family Feud thing in the UK and ask them to name a wrestler, you'll probably have Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Big Daddy was the marquee name, showed up regularly on kids TV, and people in the UK will still know who you're talking about 30 years after his death whereas eight people know who Will Ospreay is (they all post in this thread).

The irony is that most of the rest of the card relied on a very technical, traditional style that got cribbed significantly from for what you would call a "modern" style. British pro wrestling had official rules that were set down in the 40s which were then for the most part adhered to in order to sell it as a legit contest. See for example, this mullety gently caress from 1986 losing to ye olde droppe kick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMb8fCz-3NY

And then it died.

I would say that there are three main reasons it did so:

The first was the network. The new head wasn't keen on having darts or wrestling and saw them as low-class. The World Of Sport magazine show was cut in 1985, with wrestling being moved to an earlier timeslot which made it inaccessible to factory workers who worked a half-day Saturdays.

The second was that they never got past Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks. When televised wrestling was cut entirely in 1988, Big Daddy was still the number one babyface on the card, despite being a near-400lb man born in 1930. Regal tells the story of having already quit before that to take bookings abroad, despite being in the main event, because he understood that his job would always be to play Ricky Morton to Big Daddy, and that wasn't the career that he wanted.

The third was just that it was out of time and out of place, as was a lot of territory wrestling. By 1988, people had VCRs in their homes. Hulk Hogan was a thing. The UK has an additional problem that generally we don't do indoor sports to the same level as the US, so you either have bingo halls or you have huge expensive concert arenas. Again, the WWF is running Madison Square Garden, and British wrestling is running out of Scunthorpe Community Hall and being filmed on half a potato. The writing was always on the wall.

Big Daddy would retire in 1993 (aged 63!) and then pass away four years later.

Giant Haystacks, however, would get an invite from WCW to come over as a monster for Hogan to fight as part of the Dungeon Of Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KttyWB7akU

Hogan took one look at this and noped the gently caress out. So instead, we got an actual honest-to-god feud between Big Show and Giant Haystacks. I can't find the footage of the actual match, but it involves Haystacks just stopping selling because he's too gassed to do anything except lie there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJp3sgldq9E

This was basically it, until in 2016 ITV announced that they were bringing back a wrestling show under the World Of Sport name (which it hadn't been originally, but don't split hairs). I think I've covered this story before in the thread, but that single announcement caused WWE to reactively launch NXT UK and try their damndest to sign up any free agent UK talent they could. Which you can generally get by just offering them somewhere to sleep where the rain doesn't get in.

However, they likely needn't have bothered. For ITV to have considered it a success, they would have needed to get at least 1m viewers, probably closer to 2m. The pilot show did somewhere around 500,000, which somewhere like Impact would dream of getting, but for a show on ITV on a Saturday that's emergency cancellation territory. I'm not sure the name actually did them any favours - if you watched in the 80s and tuned in to see Ospreay and Grado then there's very little in common, and internet smarks have no great desire for a big belly bounce nostalgia show.

But you can still chant "EASY, EASY, EASY" at American wrestlers to confuse them. So that's nice.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

who's sports entertainment marketed to now anyway?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

They'll probably start marketing pro wrestling to middle school aged kids again, instead of, uh, who's pro wrestling marketed to now anyway?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You laugh but these men are our only defense against Shang Tsung.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Animal-Mother posted:

Stan wasn't an rear end in a top hat or trying to take liberties or anything like that. He just couldn't see very well without his glasses and wanted to make sure every move looked like it was connecting.
Oh excuse to post this and also this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXxGcDfDIvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHEkwaZUm-g&t=71s

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Found these posted on reddit today.

This is the I'm From Hollywood documentary and I have really hard time beveling all the stars in here are Kayfabe and think it was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCQPpS08Lg

Lawler recounts the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaA9ctSNOFw

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 1, 2022

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So this is basically just the wrestling thread right? I can ask random dumb questions? What, ostensibly are refs doing? I don't mean just officiating collectively or pointedly looking the wrong way. I only really watched WWE in college (my god 15-20 years ago) and AEW now but sometimes I just get totally distracted by refs posing weirdly just to really drive the point home that they are uh... paying attention?

Are there any significant refs in pro wrestling history or are the always really just props?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

DisposableHero posted:

So this is basically just the wrestling thread right? I can ask random dumb questions? What, ostensibly are refs doing? I don't mean just officiating collectively or pointedly looking the wrong way. I only really watched WWE in college (my god 15-20 years ago) and AEW now but sometimes I just get totally distracted by refs posing weirdly just to really drive the point home that they are uh... paying attention?

Are there any significant refs in pro wrestling history or are the always really just props?
refs are the line of communication to the back

if something changed or needs changing partway through a match, if it needs to end earlier or go longer, or if the timing of a planned run-in or something needs to be really precise, the ref is the one person who can just talk to somebody in back without the crowd even noticing, and he can speak directly to the wrestlers without it seeming weird
the ref somewhat famously lets the wrestlers know it's time to "go home", meaning whatever they've got planned for the finish, do it now, because they're out of time

they also, in emergencies, are the ones responsible for signaling that something's gone wrong (ie if somebody is legitimately hurt)

their job is also harder than it seems in general, because they have to look as legit as the wrestlers do. if a wrestler doesn't kick out in time, if they don't break a hold, if they're not in the right position for the finish (feet under the ropes etc.) they've got to make the decision on the fly whether to call it as a shoot and potentially go over or under the allotted time, or... well, let it look a little stupid. in wwe it's even harder because the wwe's "house style" involves a lot of finicky rules like never ever positioning your body such that it obscures the "hard cam" (a stationary ring-focused camera positioned with the entrance ramp to the left)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cubone posted:

their job is also harder than it seems in general, because they have to look as legit as the wrestlers do. if a wrestler doesn't kick out in time, if they don't break a hold, if they're not in the right position for the finish (feet under the ropes etc.) they've got to make the decision on the fly whether to call it as a shoot and potentially go over or under the allotted time, or... well, let it look a little stupid. in wwe it's even harder because the wwe's "house style" involves a lot of finicky rules like never ever positioning your body such that it obscures the "hard cam" (a stationary ring-focused camera positioned with the entrance ramp to the left)

one of my biggest problems with LU was that the refs were pretty bad at timing, but that was nerd poo poo that didn't affect how fun the match was to watch really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I watched the Sunny porn video last night.
Or at least whatever 5-6 minute part of it that was on porn hub.
I was kinda disappointed.