Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont say the e-word. I'm still reloading Reverb every day looking for that mythical sweet deal on a zoia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nitsuga posted:

I do. The item you linked was a pre-built HH Tele though. But yeah, if it’s another DIY kit, I won’t stand in your way. Get busy!

Yeah, I meant that the HH is pretty and seems to sound good (and is $20 more than building the kit) and that the kit has single coils. Will still go for the Jazzmaster kit but maybe also pick up this prebuilt tele.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

landgrabber posted:

oh i have a boss DD-5 which has reverse delay.

i need a reverb pedal because of the jazz show-- band director likes some verb on the guitars, and my amp only has spring reverb built in, i want something more like hall or church or something.

but i've been wanting a reverse verb for a while cause i love shoegaze, so i was kind of thinking "well, i need a reverb pedal, time to get one, may as well spring for one with reverse"

Plate is probably the go-to for jazz. Plate doesent sound like any space in particular.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

In fairness the Empress Reverb is very cool indeed. So is the Strymon Night Sky but they're hitting different niches. Just get an Oceans 11 honestly.

My favourite reverb is my Lexicon rack reverb tho :v: The only reverb on my board is an EQD Levitation. Love the gently caress out of that thing.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Obligatory Alesis plug - it's *the* reverse reverb and you can (could, maybe) find them cheap. It's a rack or a weird half-rack-desktop-thing (v1, Wedge) though which would be a pain to move around. Maybe a Microverb?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the katana has a reverse reverb :)

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Boss Katana is always the answer.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

Obligatory Alesis plug - it's *the* reverse reverb and you can (could, maybe) find them cheap. It's a rack or a weird half-rack-desktop-thing (v1, Wedge) though which would be a pain to move around. Maybe a Microverb?

This too, I have a MIDIVerb 3. It's pretty rad but or reverse reverb you want the MIDIVerb 1 or 2, or the MicroVerb 3. Micro series is based on the MIDI series before it, so uVerb 3 = MIDI 2.

Or an SPX series unit, but they seem to hold far better value sadly. I got my MIDIVerb 3 for like AU$70 lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

I got a midiverb 2 for pretty cheap back when, its cool. only tweakable parameters are input, mix, and output though, but some of the algorithms do sound pretty nice. there's a pretty sick sounding multi tap on there. and the reverse ones are good too. it looks like now they're going for like 200 but you can probably score one cheaper if you try hard enough.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm back with my next round of annoying questions! :shobon:

- I picked up the NUX Mighty Plug instead of the Fender as it was less than half the price and no one had the Fender in stock. Anyone used one? Seems pretty neat but I need to crank the gate for any of the distorted amps otherwise there is heaps of noise, not sure if that's normal.

- Do people still use tabs? I found all my old tab books which was cool. I used to use Guitar Pro a lot back in the day, is that still a go-to app for tabs? The goal is to play to actual tracks but need to learn all the parts first.

- Is there any specific thing to know about power supplies for pedals? I discovered that I guess I got rid of them all when I tried to use my tuner pedal. I've only got three pedals currently so don't need anything major.

Here is my ugly and dirty franken-strat:

Why yes, that is grime and scratches on a terrible veneer.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

also, i'm curious about who the best contemporary jazz guitarists are. curious what they're doing/how they're playing/that sorta thing

couple more for you

kurt rosenwinkel. really prolific, has a great clean electric sound. his album of standards is my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vSvU6EXss

ben monder. he studied with mick goodrick i believe, and can get pretty out there, but here he is playing a glen campbell classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Cg_5zbqeo

jonathan kreisberg. plays a lot with the late Dr. Lonnie Smith, all around great chops and good player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuoJ5XS3zvE

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Big day today for little old me, and I gotta just post about it.

Unbelievably, we survived our third and last full band rehearsal for our three-hour show next Saturday. We hope to get the main four of us together for one more session just tightening up endings and transitions.

Some poo poo went down that I would like to vent about but the day was such a success (under the circumstances) I'm feeling pretty groovy tonight and I'm going glass half-full, it was your typical musician behavior which will require observation. 'Nuff said.

In the last 36 hours I learned the final six or seven songs on the list for this gig, actually learned to set up the Set/Songlist feature up in my gear (35 songs total, most with two parts and several with a few or four.) And played the entire setlist as well as I could.

And today we rehearsed the whole thing. It's rough in places, I won't lie; but I don't think it will be too rough for the folks at the Biergarten. It's a nice, outdoor event and we'll actually make money. When the drummer gets to set up a real kit we're gonna sound fantastic. I hope.

For some reason I want you all to know I played Cake By The Ocean today. Ya Ya Ya Ya Ah. Life is funny. It's been a real education for me as a guitarist. I played it clean and funky and loud on an Ibanez RG770DX. It was amusing until the tedium of the song set in.

A scary fact was, some of the band was getting concerned I wasn't going to be ready (based on just the two weeks we had a drummer). They just didn't understand I was doing like song triage. I'm way out of practice learning new stuff and had to verify a lot of tunings with YouTube vids (we tune 1/2 step down so all guitar tunings in the covers have to be checked out because a lot of stuff is already down 1/2, and the rest isn't, or is in Drop-D). Did a lot of going straight to the YouTube playthroughs to figure out several parts - because someone has already done it for me (most of them wrong but there's usually one guy who nails it if you search long enough.) A ton of research went into making patches that sound like the source material, or in my opinion a little better.
This has been a massive amount of work to and of course I saved actually trying to pull off the guitar solos until I'd worked them all out favorably to the source material. Hopefully, in the places I do cheat, only the guitarists will know. But I went about this with a list of priorities: Learn the song parts individually, then assemble them into the arrangement as quickly as you can make your hands do all the transitions. Learn the basic tune. There were some places where hard parts became easy once I remembered a certain chord inversion or realized I could hook my thumb over and save myself some big stretches. Just a lot of stuff like that.The solos I learned slowly and didn't really attempt at rehearsal before today because I just didn't know them by heart and they were frankly my last priority. I saved that for last, because everything I worked up had to be something I could play, even if Dan Huff did this intricate climbing scale I can't figure out in time for Saturday, I can play natural minor sextuplets in the root key to get me through the fast ending, to the layperson it will sound the same.

I typed a lot of words to say, "I knew I was sucking, but on the very limited schedule this was how I felt I had to do it." Which lead to today.

Today, rehearsal 3, I went in (scared as poo poo, I should mention) and the prep paid off. It worked out great because no one was expecting, say, for me to suddenly pop out a note-for-note rendition of the solo to "Heaven" by Warrant. No great achievement of course, just unexpected and VERY welcomed by the band. After set one everyone had said something very positive about my full arrangements and especially the heretofore absent guitar solos. I saved it for last because the hair metal ballads (we play about four total) are cringey to me (except the Whitesnake song, that one rules.) Song after song, set after set, I held my tempo, managed my gear and my dynamics, and only mostly made mistakes of the "oops, fixed it" variety. We all missed some transition parts but I still have all this week to just listen and let it sink in, and I was very pleased by the change in the way they are all looking at me now. This was my greatest fear. My hands actually shook, I felt tremendous anxiety. That kept me focused.It paid off well.

After the show next week I'll come back and share the setlist because it's a real dog's breakfast of songs that charted well and I am told are cherished by our type of audience. Can't wait to test that!

On the guitar end of things this is what I'm doing: 95% of the gig I'm gonna play my old #1, the 1991 Ibanez RG770DX, the lazer red one or whatever they called that one finish. It's got a JB, a Blue Velvet, and a '59 in the neck so it covers a LOT of ground with the 5-way switching and the series/parallel switch on the JB. It's a Wizard neck and they are truthfully thinner than I prefer. The transition from that guitar to the Kotzen Tele is almost a shock, I learned today. But you gotta have a whammy bar to play Lita Ford they say, my dudes. And if you're gonna have to play some country tunes you might as well just take your Tele. I took along one other hardtail RG because we have several tunes in Drop-D and I just needed something quick to drag in for those.

I'm still nervous but today was very encouraging. I'm so relieved right now.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

You’re the loving man

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This rules and I can only aspire to be at this level.

I'm putting Wolfetones in my EC-256 and getting some Grovers. Now I'm looking at a second guitar seriously. This hobby can be a money sink, but at least it's fun (yes, I know all about gear acquisition syndrome from my other hobby, photography).

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

We are on audition 6 this week for bass players. 6 different dudes over 6 weeks, got a seventh lined up next week. There is only like 1 so far out of all of them that we wanna bring back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm looking at both the Fender Mustang Micro and the Boss GT-1 for expanding my sounds, probably not much point getting both but does anyone have thoughts? I can play through Rocksmith which allows for both setting up tone and with headphones to not upset the neighbors. I feel like I'm leaving to the GT-1 as it seems to have more applications fort things like actually performing. Anyone have both?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Get a tube amp and some pedals and go old school with it

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm looking at both the Fender Mustang Micro and the Boss GT-1 for expanding my sounds, probably not much point getting both but does anyone have thoughts? I can play through Rocksmith which allows for both setting up tone and with headphones to not upset the neighbors. I feel like I'm leaving to the GT-1 as it seems to have more applications fort things like actually performing. Anyone have both?

They're different animals, but between the two, I'd get the Boss GT-1. I totally get the appeal of the Fender, but the GT-1 has more uses and capabilities for sure. It can't really keep up on the portability front, but there are other options for things similar to the Mustang Micro (the Vox amPlug notably). You should figure out what you're after between the two though.

Also note that there are other Multi-FX pedals worth considering, like the Zoom G1X Four, but I'd give the upper-hand to Boss on that front.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

the jazz show was frustrating.

my playing was better than the last show, but it was outside and really windy, and it kept blowing the pages in my binder out of my sight.

i also had a busted rear end music stand, and once in the middle of a song, it fell on the ground and i had to put it back together while everyone played. this was not my stand, but one that came from school that one of the choir kids probably abused because they’re assholes.

frustrating.

anyway it also firmly convinced me to go head + cab route because jesus christ, moving a 2 x 12 deville by myself while on estrogen was not fun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm an old dude that has similar gripes. why the gently caress did i buy this 70 lb ashdown 2x10. the fender champion is lighter but still a big pita to schlep around.

im gonna just get a helix or something and then a full range cabinet or two. those can be really light

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Cheap used 2x12 and a katana head, ez.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this scale stuff is pretty cool. just sort of learned a few - minor pentatonic, minor, major, blues - and also just throwing in some extra notes sometimes is good. i'm sure there are names for all of these variations.

anyway now i can pretty quickly start soloing over any of the 100's of chord progressions and song skeletons i've made in FL over the years. got the latency down to almost nothing via asio4all and playing in time isn't as much of an issue as i thought unless i start trying to go faster than my skill allows right now.

right now i'm basically just twanging randomly within scales so all of the solos sound the same but i'll start feeling out things so i can come up with proper melodies this way.

i really want to get some new interesting chords into my repetoire next, probably jazz chords than i can mix with what i think of as 'normal' chords, although i don't know if that's a real distinction. it's easy to put together a chord progression of normal chords (Am, Em, C, D, etc) but to me they sound so obvious if you know what i mean. there are a bunch of chord progressions that have been reused endlessly in pop and rock and i already know how to and have made songs using those so i want to get into the stuff that i do not know how to play by listening to.

also need to keep practicing to know where notes are more quickly so i can jump up an octave when doing a solo in a scale without hitting random notes before i find it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cheap used 2x12 and a katana head, ez.

i will never buy a boss katana, stop with this.

i might get a jazz chorus amp though

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
nah i'm gonna keep suggesting it because it's always the answer to solving amp aquisition syndrome where when people thing "I want this goofy single use pedal like a harmonizer or triple delay," because there's one built in to most processing units.

If you were on a higher budget I'd suggest a more robust processor like an axe effects. With the right build you can make your entire amp and pedalboard fit into a backpack.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

nah i'm gonna keep suggesting it because it's always the answer to solving amp aquisition syndrome where when people thing "I want this goofy single use pedal like a harmonizer or triple delay," because there's one built in to most processing units.

If you were on a higher budget I'd suggest a more robust processor like an axe effects. With the right build you can make your entire amp and pedalboard fit into a backpack.

honestly i did not want to say this but like, it always just feels kinda lame to me to roll up with a boss katana, or no amp on stage. i can't believe i think it's cool, but i do think it's cool to have a big cab and head behind you. doubly cool when you look like you're gonna shred the house down, but actually you just let loose with super musical, emotional guitar music.

whether it's founded or not, it signals to the onlookers that you know what you're doing or are "professional" to some degree even though they don't know you're bad at playing guitar and you just bought some poo poo off reverb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jazz chorus 40 maybe? 2x10, it's wee. i suspect it'd be plenty for what you're doing and if yall get a big gig i'm sure it can feed a house PA

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Get a white Katana if you want to look cool. I honestly doubt much of the audience (or anyone really) would care no matter you play with though.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i mean budget isn't as much of an issue as it used to be since i have good enough credit now to finance poo poo. and i'm going to school for music so i can kind of, to myself, go, "well, i am actually doing this pretty seriously, it's not as much like the dude who has 5 guitars mounted to the wall that he never plays" anymore, especially when i'm spending like two or three hours a day practicing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's a head version of the katana that you pair with a cab and the other processors go into a cab too. it looks just as showy as what you're describing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA_iCOBFk7Q

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You can also use the power amp of a head (or another dedicated power amp) to run a processor while still keeping that wall of amp look. most people have no clue about what an amp actually does and think the speaker cab is the amp so if you have your phone plugged into a power amp that's feeding into a stack or 2 4x12 cabs then people will go "OH poo poo LOOK AT THAT"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vccabyl5LE

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

A big part of the katana's dorky look is the logo on the front. I'm thinking of changing it on mine to some vintage-looking grill-cloth.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you could piss off so many boomers by selling a no-chassis katana with all the pots and controls ready to jam into whatever broken head or combo you can find.

"is that an original plexi?"

"haha, yeah, sure"

Call it the Boss Kitana

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what part of "i don't want this or like this" do you guys not understand

i realize it's unreasonable and pissy but sometimes i'm just like that about this stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny 290 posted:

you could piss off so many boomers by selling a no-chassis katana with all the pots and controls ready to jam into whatever broken head or combo you can find.

"is that an original plexi?"

"haha, yeah, sure"

Call it the Boss Kitana

You could make so much money with a modelling amp in a big wooden chassis that looks like a traditional head.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

We're just about to lock in another Katana sale. I can feel it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also landgrabber i dont think we're trying to be disrespectful, there are fork conversations going on here.

I think your head/cab idea is solid and might also suggest a pair of 1x10 or 1x12 cabs instead of a 2x12. That opens up possibilities for cool stereo things too, if you're interested in that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
whatever option you choose, please don't buy a cab new because they're easily 4x as expensive as they are used just because they don't have slight cosmetic defects like scratches, cigarette burns, beer stains.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think the only reasonable choice for jazz band is a triple rectifier and an oversized 4x12.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
tbh a little blues junior or a jc120 is actually perfect i'm just being a butt about GAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pondex posted:

A big part of the katana's dorky look is the logo on the front. I'm thinking of changing it on mine to some vintage-looking grill-cloth.

Replace it with this:
https://www.rigsofdoom.com/product/pv-sticker-pack