Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

It's not that Miyamoto hates story. He just doesn't think it should be dictated to the player separate from gameplay.

sakurai also thinks this but as a result gave us his kid icarus game instead of a billion NSMB and NSMB style games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're family just like all his minions.

The ones he repeatedly sends to their deaths and has impersonate him over dangerous lava pits?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
bowser does that to bowser jr too

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Motto posted:

sakurai also thinks this but as a result gave us his kid icarus game instead of a billion NSMB and NSMB style games

The directors of the NSMB games have been Shigeyuki Asuke (the first, Wii), Yusuke Amano (NSMB2), and Masataka Takemoto (NSMBU). The producers of the games have been varying combinations of Takashi Tezuka and Hiroyuki Kimura. Miyamoto has, at best, only been involved in them at a distance.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Macaluso posted:

Noted boring and sterile game Mario Odyssey where you could put your hat on Bowser and take control of him to escape the core of the moon while J-Pop plays

Miyamoto was hands-off for Odyssey, with Koizumi as producer (interview link).

Funny thing, remember when I said earlier that Miyamoto didn't want Link's Awakening to be made? That game's story was done by the same Koizumi. Miyamoto not being involved also mean that the Mario peace sign could be sneakily added back in, as it's a random chance for Mario to strike that pose when he collects a power moon. For more on that, you can watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3-Lyj5ffo

Apologies to the Sonic The Hedgehog (Presented By SEGA) thread on all the Mario posting :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

To be fair it's not like there's a general Mario thread (another win for Sonic)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Mario and Sonic at the Megathread 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when are they gonna make a dang winter olympics game that doesn't require a wiimote

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Noted boring and sterile game Mario Odyssey where you could put your hat on Bowser and take control of him to escape the core of the moon while J-Pop plays

well yeah mario odyssey was praised when it came out for being a breath of fresh air for the series that brought back a lot of the energy that had been missing since Galaxy 1.
Galaxy 2 and 3D Land are fantastic games but they very much felt like they were going out of their way to wind back the clock to the good ol' days. Nintendo has started to loosen up a little bit recently but there was a period of time where they were trying aggressively to make the Mario brand completely uniform across all the games, with a whole laundry list of arbitrary rules for what was and wasn't allowed in a Mario game. it's one of the things that made paper mario sticker star so contentious

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 29, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sticker Star broke people’s brains with how terrible it was.

Probably did more damage to Paper Mario and the Mario RPG series than Sonic 06 ever did to the Sonic series.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the problem is Color Splash wasn't much better and Origami King still has stripped out the RPG elements that made people like Paper Mario and TTYD.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also had a villian for whom his "I hate toads, they look all the same!" screed, which is supposed to be a bad thing for him to believe (and it is), is bolstered by the fact that all toads in that game are, infact, the same base toad they've used since Sticker Star.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The whole Miyamoto thing is also why both Paper and Mario & Luigi got a lot more limited in scope with their cast and stories. Part of it is because he sees Mario as a player avatar instead of a character in a narrative.

Oxyclean posted:

I think the problem is Color Splash wasn't much better and Origami King still has stripped out the RPG elements that made people like Paper Mario and TTYD.
It’s funny as the two had distinct mechanics, with Paper Mario being closer to a traditional JRPG and M&L leaning way harder into the interactive parts of Mario RPG’s combat.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's not a peace sign it's V for victory, a remnant of post-war ally reconstruction.

Mario flashes it because he just murdered a bunch of troopas in what is ostensibly a war zone. Not because he established peace in the level.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One the one hand, Miyamoto's level of control meant Mario's never released a Sonic 06 level of disaster, but on the other it lead to a lot of very bland, safe and forgettable games. There's so many Nintendo games in the last 15 years that by themselves are great, but are nowhere near the best in the series because they are so risk-averse. It feels like people who work on games needing his approval are afraid to do anything different in case it makes him furious and he throws out months of their work.

I still love nearly all the games he directed (which he sadly stopped doing after Super Mario 64) and it sounded like he had a pretty good influence on the games Nintendo hired western game devs to work on like DKC, Star Fox and Metroid Prime. He still was an rear end in a top hat though, he made the Star Fox devs work in a basement and came in to smoke just to make it unpleasant for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dieting Hippo posted:

He's very much a diva inside Nintendo. One story is about Mario giving a peace sign. This was done a lot in earlier games and promo art, but Miyamoto hated it. It felt to him as if Mario was more "kiddie" when the peace sign went up. The last instance of that peace sign was in SM64, and was absent until it made a brief appearance in Odyssey.

There's also the story of Link's Awakening, where he was shown a prototype of the game and told the team to stop working on it. They didn't, and we got one of the best Zelda games out of that effort.

Mario actually has a 1/3 chance of doing the peace sign with every singular Moon in Odyssey, otherwise it'll be the Mario 64 fist or the Sunshine open palm. This does mean you can play rock-paper-scissors with Mario.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Naka was a great programmer who should never have been anywhere near management roles but unfortunately he knew what he was worth and had a tantrum and refused to work on Sonic 2 until Sega bought him a Ferrari and that was the start of all that downfall.

If Yu Suzuki didn't get a Ferrari (or a Tomcat jet-fighter) this world is way more unjust than I already fear.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

He still was an rear end in a top hat though, he made the Star Fox devs work in a basement and came in to smoke just to make it unpleasant for them.
Imagining Miyamoto going into the Star Fox basement, saying “Sup, nerds?” and using a developer’s body to light a match for his cigarette.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Sticker Star broke people’s brains with how terrible it was.

Probably did more damage to Paper Mario and the Mario RPG series than Sonic 06 ever did to the Sonic series.

I don't remember Sticker Star being a buggy, unplayable mess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Who's the other one?

Arlo?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 29, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Sticker Star had that bit where you beat Kamek with a sandel and that will always redeem it in my heart.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Sticker Star is a polished turd.

Its not a buggy mess, but it is a chore to play with inane gameplay mechanics.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic 06 is very playable

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I beat Sonic 06 and that's more I can say compared to Sticker Star

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Sonic Heardle is a freebie today.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sticker star is the single game i most regret buying and i bought it because i heard about its reputation and wanted to know what it was like

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I feel mildly self-conscious to be asking this, but what's the best way to play the Sonic Adventure games now? Are the PC ports better than what's available on Xbox, or are they very comparable? Is Heroes available anywhere other than PC? I've got a Sonic obsessed kid, and after we're done working through Sonic Jam, I need something to hop to next.

I guess after these we'll also be playing Sonic 2006, assuming that I can find a disk without paying a fortune and have a working 360. I did snag Unleashed, which got a really nice Series S/X patch and runs at 60fps now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn’t 06 still available digitally (though it could be exclusive to PSNow, I’m not sure)?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I haven’t played a Sonic game in forever and I want to play a 3D one. I saw Colors is on sale, should I get it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I haven’t played a Sonic game in forever and I want to play a 3D one. I saw Colors is on sale, should I get it?

Colors is good, yes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When I wanna play Sonic Adventure, I get out my Dreamcast, so I can't help you there. :v:

I would call Colors a fun game and a good game, buuuut not a great Sonic game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

keanu reeves should voice amy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Palmtree Panic posted:

Sonic Heardle is a freebie today.

I felt like an idiot when I saw the answer for yesterday's. I knew it was from a menu of some sort, it was a song I heard a lot but for the life of me I couldn't place it. It was from the Mega Collection. I played that A LOT.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just want to take a minute to thank god in heaven for Sonic Mania and the associated soundtrack. I wanna live in it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Colors is arguably the only other serviceable 3D Sonic game that isn’t Generations. Like, it’s good. Well made even. But it’s short, a little gimmicky, and the jumping physics are god awful.

Still it’s like one of two 3D Sonics I’d tell an interested party “yeah, go ahead and check it out”. I love Adventure in my heart of hearts but I’d only ever recommend it at this point to someone interested in more after exhausting Generations and Colors with the caveat of “it was jank as hell even in its day”.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Adventure is still my favorite 3D Sonic thqh

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't recommend generations to somebody who's never played the adventure games, they will have no context for any of the cool moments like seeing that loving truck show up in the background for the first time in city escape

Generations is your reward for getting through years of bad games. How can you appreciate a trophy for a race you never ran?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
adventure 2 ftw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sonic Heroes is good imo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sonic Heroes could have been the perfect fusion of Tony Hawk/DmC gameplay and speedy platforming but the combat is overlong and underbaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Has anyone played Mania with the Switch Genesis controller? Pretty much ordering a controller for Mania and Origins.