Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Surviving Mars isn't exactly super deep planetology but all of that less albedo are in Green Planet

There is nothing that comes even sorta close to SimEarth tragically

The pace of Surviving Mars matches actual terraforming chronologically. By the time you are done getting all the meters to 100% someone will have grown potatoes on Mars irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone itt know how I would go about setting up a dedicated server for valheim? My irl friends and I want to do it because it's annoying that one of us has to be on and hosting to play. Been googling this a bit but I'm not feeling confident about what I see and could use advice from someone who knows how to do this correctly.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Isn't there a dedicated server client tool in Steam? Check the tools option in your library.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

empty whippet box posted:

Does anyone itt know how I would go about setting up a dedicated server for valheim? My irl friends and I want to do it because it's annoying that one of us has to be on and hosting to play. Been googling this a bit but I'm not feeling confident about what I see and could use advice from someone who knows how to do this correctly.

Assuming you have a Linux VM lying around this is by far the easiest method imo: https://linuxgsm.com/servers/vhserver/

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

I did the manual setup listed here: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Valheim_Dedicated_Server

AMP (one time buy) and Docker (subscription) on the automated section are both paid. AMP might be worth it if you might wanna play the other games it supports with friends but I've never used it.

If you do the full manual bit, the STEAMCMD batch file you create in step 1 can also be used to update your server when they patch the game.

Baba Oh Really posted:

Isn't there a dedicated server client tool in Steam? Check the tools option in your library.

Yes, you will still need to/want to do some of the config stuff on the wiki from Step 2 and 3.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Bought Planet Crafter and I have no idea why, but it scratches the "indie survival craft things" genre in a way I haven't experienced in quite some time.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Vasler posted:

Bought Planet Crafter and I have no idea why, but it scratches the "indie survival craft things" genre in a way I haven't experienced in quite some time.

I also enjoy it. I think for me (admittedly in Planet Crafter this is self policed) it's the "you build a little base and can go out for 30 seconds to gather mats to slowly increase the distance you can travel to gather mats etc...

When I talk about wanting "more games like subnautica" it's that aspect I think that makes me want to come back. And the great fun base building.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Depending on what you mean I used, IIRC, ValHost.net, it was like ten bucks a month and gave me a high quality server that supported a half dozen players flawlessly.

Edit: yes it was valhost.net

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah I mean servers are ridiculously cheap nowadays. I basically host something new every couple months (valheim, minecraft, vintage story, etc.) then we play until we get bored. It's wildly convenient.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same, I don't play MMOs so if my friends glom onto a survival game for a month, it's just like having a sub to FF14 or whatever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i finally have good internets at home now so i just host servers on my homebox, much more performant than lovely cloud vpses

not that it matters outside hungry minecraft modpacks, but still

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rent an EC2 and save your game data to a persistent EBS share :v:.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Giving Project Zomboid another shake again. Is there a better way to aim when attacking things, like a target lock-on maybe? The isometric camera and the right-click to aim thing means I’m attacking air or behind the zombie a lot of the times which makes combat frustrating.

Any advice to… not die immediately?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

Set it to not apocalypse to learn wtf the game is about :v: I usually do Custom Sandbox these days, and it depends how I'm feeling what settings I go for.

When you're first playing, starting traits can really make or break your attempt. Anything that lowers fitness or strength can really impede you. Things that do the opposite can really help you out. Negatives I frequently take include pacifist, weak stomach, high hunger, high thirst. Smoker is arguably fine too.

Higher fitness means you can run for longer, which is useful when trying not to die. Higher strength increases your damage done and your ability to push off zombies who have attacked you.

Burglar is a good starting profession as you can hotwire cars immediately. A car will give you mobility and space to scavenge in, or, in a pinch, something to run over a few zombies with assuming it has gas. The starting nimble/lightfoot levels helps you make less noise and attract fewer zombies when moving around.

Always be sneaking. Get used to watching your back with a right click or control then spin around to make sure you're not being followed. A frying pan or a rolling pin make okay first weapons. A baseball bat or a crowbar are some of the best. Some love machetes or knives, I don't. Zombies will lose you on line of sight, so if you're being followed, find a structure to run around.

If you're fine with looking at a map beforehand (I mean, if your character lived in the area...), this is a great resource: https://map.projectzomboid.com I have liked spawning in West Point as a central map location, but Riverside has a few good base areas too imo.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

tuyop posted:

As mentioned turn on target outlines.

You can stack a bunch of negative traits with minimal consequence - eg smoker, slow healer, weak stomach, prone to illness, high hunger, high thirst. Slow reader if you’re in single player and can fast forward.

You can pair pacifist with fast learner to eliminate the downside of pacifist and basically get fast learner for very cheap. You could also just edit the rate at which you learn, if you want to avoid having to watch tv as much.

All the above means you can afford to get the really good strength and fitness traits - get them each to like 8+ and the game becomes so much easier. Fitness is especially key to get to like 8 - I think that’s the breakpoint where you get really amazing endurance, and it’s very very hard to level while playing.

With that fitness you can run away from zombies easily, and with your strength you can kill zombies as well. Just practice fighting zombies for a bit imo- the basic tactic is to kite a few, hit when they get into range, kite some more, hit again etc. When fighting individual zombies if you stand on them they can’t get up. I think this is way easier than trying to go all stealth imo- it was recommended to me when I first started playing and really made the game click for me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah assuming you have any kind of decent weapon, you should be able to handle 2 or 3 zombies at once and you can solo a single zombie unarmed. The key is to always be looking around, even a single zombie sneaking up behind you can end your run with a bite that turns into an infection.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips. If we can't make any headway on this game I'll look into custom settings to get used to the game. Just discovered the teleport to button last night so that helped a lot!

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

tuyop posted:

Shove doors to "knock" before you open them. Get in the habit of always opening doors by aiming and using the E key. You can double tap it to see what's on the other side with minimal risk. Learning the shortcuts for getting in and out of windows is helpful when you are booking it away from threatening situations.

In wooded areas if you go into click to move mode your character will always take the shortest path and will avoid slitting their own throat on a branch if at all possible. Useful for getting followers hung up on obstacles.

Disinfect rags before using them by boiling water in an oven.

Make sure you don't have holes in your shoes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Yeah assuming you have any kind of decent weapon, you should be able to handle 2 or 3 zombies at once and you can solo a single zombie unarmed. The key is to always be looking around, even a single zombie sneaking up behind you can end your run with a bite that turns into an infection.

Oh and turn multihit on.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you really want to you can turn off infection in the Custom Sandbox settings so bites aren't a run ender. Bites still leave a long-lived wound so you still don't want it to happen, and getting mobbed will still kill you, but it's a lot easier to learn the game when you don't have to worry about losing your character to a random zombie in a closet because you fumbled your melee attack

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I usually turn zombie infection off. Part for that reason, and part because the way the game plays makes far more sense that your character, for whatever reason, has some intrinsic immunity rather than this thing that spread quickly (more like an airborne/waterborne pathogen) might infect you if something bites you but not if you're smashing through hundreds of zombies and covered in blood and breathing in aerosolized gore and detritus.

Expanded Helicopter Events mod is real fun, especially setting the helicopters to never stop. The arrival of crashed helicopters or supply drops gives reasons to leave base and generally they've attracted a huge swarm to deal with. The helicopters that arrive to shoot zombies and sometimes you gives more reason to flee, but there's also better indicators of where the helicopter is as well as apparently not a, "if you step outside I know exactly where you are" of the in-game helicopter event.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah I usually turn zombie infection off. Part for that reason, and part because the way the game plays makes far more sense that your character, for whatever reason, has some intrinsic immunity rather than this thing that spread quickly (more like an airborne/waterborne pathogen) might infect you if something bites you but not if you're smashing through hundreds of zombies and covered in blood and breathing in aerosolized gore and detritus.

Expanded Helicopter Events mod is real fun, especially setting the helicopters to never stop. The arrival of crashed helicopters or supply drops gives reasons to leave base and generally they've attracted a huge swarm to deal with. The helicopters that arrive to shoot zombies and sometimes you gives more reason to flee, but there's also better indicators of where the helicopter is as well as apparently not a, "if you step outside I know exactly where you are" of the in-game helicopter event.

Even if you don't step outside i think the helicopter still follows you now, its kinda bullshit.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh and turn multihit on.

I'm a bit iffy on this once you're past your first hour or so of learning how to fight zombies because you can pretty much beat infinite amounts of zombies to death pretty easily with multihit.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spoggerific posted:

I did this, and no change. I'm still getting the error.

It's not a fresh install - a couple months ago, I upgraded an old 8.1 install from probably about 8 years ago to 10. I downloaded the installer online from the MS website, and I've since kept up to date with Windows updates (checking right now it's saying there are none available), so I'm not sure why I apparently have a Windows version from 2019.

10.0.19044.0 is just the operating system identifier - it means you're on version 21H2 which is the latest version of Win10. If you type "winver" in your search bar and run it you'll get your patch version, the latest is 19044.1645, and the update preview from yesterday is 19044.1682.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spoggerific posted:

Here's a pastebin with the log file. I've tried googling bits of the error messages near the bottom of it with "space engineers", but nothing particularly helpful has come up. Most of the results are complete junk, or have similar answers to the stuff I posted above.

I don't suppose anyone has had a similar problem, or knows a solution I hasven't tried yet? I've also opened a support ticket with the devs, but I don't expect that to go anywhere any time soon.

Found this which may help:

"fixed, i use a metod suggested by overwatch.
i changed the actual desktop resolution to 720 and then back to 1080p and know it starts
i think the something went wrong during the installation of windows 10 in the resolution of the screen and changing it fixed the problem for 4 games so far"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/244850/discussions/0/2913220877913474685/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I've been trying to learn Zomboid, but holy poo poo it's rough. I'm playing with a controller since I'm absolutely tragic at KBM and the controller handles like rear end. As in, you can't loot half the containers because you can't angle yourself just perfectly to highlight them, and half the time you end up facing the wrong way even though you're pushing the stick in the direction of whatever you're trying to attack. And it's really common to get stuck in menus. I may have to try some custom controller binds because it's been nothing but an exercise in frustration.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I've been trying to learn Zomboid, but holy poo poo it's rough. I'm playing with a controller since I'm absolutely tragic at KBM and the controller handles like rear end. As in, you can't loot half the containers because you can't angle yourself just perfectly to highlight them, and half the time you end up facing the wrong way even though you're pushing the stick in the direction of whatever you're trying to attack. And it's really common to get stuck in menus. I may have to try some custom controller binds because it's been nothing but an exercise in frustration.

It has been my experience that the game is pretty unforgiving wrt moving at angles and not releasing both keys at the exact same time. You often end up facing NE/NW/SE/SW (North = up/right) when stopping after traveling in a cardinal direction. If I didn't have a mouse and facing direction was the only way to interact it would probably drive me up the wall. I'm going to try a run using a controller later. "All Thumbs" becomes free points right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess 7d2d is on Xbox and pc game pass now but the Xbox version only runs at 30fps and is behind the steam version.

Good for them if they got some Microsoft money but I’m not sure the product they gave to gamepass does the game justice.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

caleb posted:

It has been my experience that the game is pretty unforgiving wrt moving at angles and not releasing both keys at the exact same time. You often end up facing NE/NW/SE/SW (North = up/right) when stopping after traveling in a cardinal direction. If I didn't have a mouse and facing direction was the only way to interact it would probably drive me up the wall. I'm going to try a run using a controller later. "All Thumbs" becomes free points right?

Zomboid's recent-ish changes to turning have been a decent cause of consternation for me when I do play it.

As a general tip, be quick to check yourself if you've taken a hit and are now bleeding, neck cuts will kill you very fast. Always bandage those first (preferably with already disinfected rags), and when it comes to cleaning said wound, only do it after your health has recovered quite a bit as the short time in putting a new one on will still take out a hefty chunk of health.

Also I'll throw my hat in with the pile that says to just turn infection off. I understand it's design reason, but it's really annoying to lose a good character because a tiny scratch got you zombified with zero cure. It's exceptionally annoying when you're just getting used to the game. I'd possibly recommend turning off drag-down as well if you're getting used to combat without multi-hit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA posted:

So I guess 7d2d is on Xbox and pc game pass now but the Xbox version only runs at 30fps and is behind the steam version.

Good for them if they got some Microsoft money but I’m not sure the product they gave to gamepass does the game justice.
The PS version is terrible, I don't know what build it's on, but the graphics would look lovely on a PS3, let alone a 4/5. I did hear that FP are in talks to get a publisher to update the game to current build and patch that up to console; no timeline though. I have very few friends who game on PC and it was a free PS+ game at one point, so it'd be nice to actually play with people.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is there a Space Engineers thread somewhere? I picked up the game after reading about it a few pages back and it has eaten up almost all of my play time but I'm still really bad at the whole game and have just gotten to where I have a refinery setup going, but building ships that don't look like flying buckets is still far beyond me

Edit: Nevermind, found my answer further back in the thread :)

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 29, 2022

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

Is there a Space Engineers thread somewhere? I picked up the game after reading about it a few pages back and it has eaten up almost all of my play time but I'm still really bad at the whole game and have just gotten to where I have a refinery setup going, but building ships that don't look like flying buckets is still far beyond me

Edit: Nevermind, found my answer further back in the thread :)

Splitsie has an old set of videos about this. It should still largely apply.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfMGCUepUcNygHwKzK1eCjAE40E379QQn

The other thing you can do is find a blueprint of some ship someone else made, one of the encounter ships, one of the premade ships on one of the premade maps/starts, buy one of the ships via a trade station and start modifying it until its basically your own ship. I did this with a smaller atmospheric largegrid cargo transport ship and even turned it into a rover.

I also kludged together the spawn space ship with the jump ship from the Learning to Survive scenario to make something more my own.

Doing this can help learn how to design something by looking at what others have done and trying to rebuilt it to do what you want. You can also saw a ship in half, drop the gyro into the platform your anchored to, and have to chase your cut in half ship down a mountain side.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

LGIO just did a video on Planet Crafter

and the first thing he breaks? perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpRsEp-_04

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

REDjackeT posted:

Splitsie has an old set of videos about this. It should still largely apply.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfMGCUepUcNygHwKzK1eCjAE40E379QQn

The other thing you can do is find a blueprint of some ship someone else made, one of the encounter ships, one of the premade ships on one of the premade maps/starts, buy one of the ships via a trade station and start modifying it until its basically your own ship. I did this with a smaller atmospheric largegrid cargo transport ship and even turned it into a rover.

I also kludged together the spawn space ship with the jump ship from the Learning to Survive scenario to make something more my own.

Doing this can help learn how to design something by looking at what others have done and trying to rebuilt it to do what you want. You can also saw a ship in half, drop the gyro into the platform your anchored to, and have to chase your cut in half ship down a mountain side.

This is the best way to get the hang of ship design but uhhh don't be surprised when every time you build a turret it immediately turns around and opens fire on your captured-and-converted encounter ship

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is the best way to get the hang of ship design but uhhh don't be surprised when every time you build a turret it immediately turns around and opens fire on your captured-and-converted encounter ship

For that I recommend Hacking Computer and/or Hostile Takeover. Note that the former can make PVE combat/economy extremely easy depending on your exact configuration.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

FFT posted:

This was great.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

FFT posted:

I know I'm not supposed to judge the game from a video that's specifically breaking it but Planet Craft looks like subnautica without the fun stuff.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 1, 2022

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I monkey brained Planet Crafter's demo for almost two hours. It's a good timewaster but it's ultimately an idle clicker or whatever. The gameplay loop isn't satisfying. You just go around clicking minerals to build machinery that makes number go up, and once number goes up enough, you get the T2 version of machine that needs more materials that you go and click.

I closed it and figured it was a good two hours, but I'm not going to play it again.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

power crystals posted:

For that I recommend Hacking Computer and/or Hostile Takeover. Note that the former can make PVE combat/economy extremely easy depending on your exact configuration.

Do not use hostile takeover on some of the built in scenarios. I added it to Learning to Survive and it broke the quests. It is a great mod though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Planet Crafter has a lot of potential but right now it is very late alpha. Had a great time with what was there because of the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

lunar detritus posted:

I know I'm not supposed to judge the game from a video that's specifically breaking it but Planet Craft looks like subnautica without the fun stuff.

Having played it for a bit this is accurate