Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aramis posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I've got to admit that Discord (and slack) is starting to become a very real problem. There's a rapidly growing corpus of useful technical information that, in the past, would have been in public and indexed forums, and is currently not discoverable because Discord is rapidly becoming a de-facto community management platform.

I don't want to join a club just to check if my question has been answered already, damnit!

lol at the internet balkanizing into walled gardens and darknets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

lol at the internet balkanizing into walled gardens and darknets.

So what else is new?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Moving back in the early 80s BBS days.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The right-wing rot runs deep, completely denying reality and replacing it with lies. You can watch Pool and Rogan's argument being destroyed by someone way out of their mental league, but that can simply be ignored, inverted, and parroted by Musk.

https://twitter.com/PimToolNews/status/1519488188804628480
https://twitter.com/PimToolNews/status/1519492943346040833

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is the "Sargon of Akkad" the one that instant failed at jumping into becoming a bigboy real serious politcians because he has a video of pissing into his own face?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

is the "Sargon of Akkad" the one that instant failed at jumping into becoming a bigboy real serious politcians because he has a video of pissing into his own face?

i dont think there was a piss video, he just ran for UKIP as the party was collapsing due to brexit and going even harder mask-off fash. aside from that he burned through his 15 minutes of internet fame and became just another chubby racist dullard

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought it was Joey Salads from Staten Island who was famous for pissing in his own mouth on youtube.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Main Paineframe posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519415674111672325
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519441841116041219

I can't stop looking at this poo poo, it's so mesmerizing

Musk popping into Ben Shapiro's replies to agree with him that the left sucks but clarify that the right will be "a little unhappy" too is just so revealing about where he considers "politically neutral" to fall. And of course there's the standard centrist media stance that most people are in the middle between the left and the right.

Luckily he's posted this handy chart so you can see how centrist he is
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519735033950470144

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

duz posted:

Now make the left the stationary point of reference and maybe he'll be onto something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It needs to zoom out even more to show that a woke progressive is still ultimately right wing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

duz posted:

https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1027247065783574528?s=20&t=75DzPZD791IN59AxZIPYLA

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Oh my god, Musk is gonna run for president in 2024 isn't he?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

quarantinethepast posted:

Oh my god, Musk is gonna run for president in 2024 isn't he?

He's not eligible, thankfully.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

I've already seen a "maybe we should rethink the native born citizen thing" think piece.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Flashback Thursday: Elon Musk personally cancels blogger’s Tesla order after ‘rude’ post

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There Bias Two posted:

In a 6–3 decision, he is

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know how many people here routinely look for work but modern tech really makes it suck.

- You get a LOT of bullshit MLM/Direct Sales offers regardless of what you're looking for
- You almost HAVE to have junk email accounts and burner phones because putting your poo poo up on Indeed or LinkedIn leads to a lot of solicitation and
- SPAM. I've gotten a huge increase in junk email
- Some of these company sites you have to apply on are impersonal, poorly designed, limit your options and two of them in the last week have asked me for my SS#, which bothers me for obvious reasons.
- These psychological tests where you pick which type of sociopath you'd rather be can suck my rear end
- They want me to attach a resume or CV (fine) BUT then want me to enter my entire job history as well. I honestly don't remember the months and days of my work experience from some place I worked in 2002.
- I keep hearing nobody wants to work, but these tech barriers makes it harder

- I know for a fact that UEI #'s are being juiced because they break the websites, tie them to a cumbersome IDme system, limit the hours you can file (meaning not on weekends, evenings or any other time you're not looking for work). The UEI websites are only up and running M-F during work hours. Hours where most people are seeking work.
- Auto fill for any of it is a nightmare. Depending on the company job website, your autofill can lead to some really hosed up results.
- Keyword filters suck. You want to keep your CV clean and concise but if you put "MS Word" instead of "Microsoft Word" or space letters wrong, it can gently caress you up. I'm a graphic designer and can list Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe CS, Adobe CC or crowd my poo poo up and list all the programs I know. I know this for a fact because Indeed.com and Zip Recruiter show me things that "aren't on my resume" but are.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The Federal Trade Commission recently opened an inquiry into whether Musk failed to comply with an antitrust reporting requirement as he amassed his initial 9.1% stake in Twitter between the end of January and the beginning of April, The Information has learned. At the heart of the inquiry is whether Musk was initially buying as someone who wanted to influence Twitter management or whether he saw himself as more of a passive shareholder. Notably, Musk’s initial filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission categorized his purchase as a passive stake—which immediately raised questions given his public comments about how Twitter is run.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know how many people here routinely look for work but modern tech really makes it suck.

- You get a LOT of bullshit MLM/Direct Sales offers regardless of what you're looking for
- You almost HAVE to have junk email accounts and burner phones because putting your poo poo up on Indeed or LinkedIn leads to a lot of solicitation and
- SPAM. I've gotten a huge increase in junk email
- Some of these company sites you have to apply on are impersonal, poorly designed, limit your options and two of them in the last week have asked me for my SS#, which bothers me for obvious reasons.
- These psychological tests where you pick which type of sociopath you'd rather be can suck my rear end
- They want me to attach a resume or CV (fine) BUT then want me to enter my entire job history as well. I honestly don't remember the months and days of my work experience from some place I worked in 2002.
- I keep hearing nobody wants to work, but these tech barriers makes it harder

- I know for a fact that UEI #'s are being juiced because they break the websites, tie them to a cumbersome IDme system, limit the hours you can file (meaning not on weekends, evenings or any other time you're not looking for work). The UEI websites are only up and running M-F during work hours. Hours where most people are seeking work.
- Auto fill for any of it is a nightmare. Depending on the company job website, your autofill can lead to some really hosed up results.
- Keyword filters suck. You want to keep your CV clean and concise but if you put "MS Word" instead of "Microsoft Word" or space letters wrong, it can gently caress you up. I'm a graphic designer and can list Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe CS, Adobe CC or crowd my poo poo up and list all the programs I know. I know this for a fact because Indeed.com and Zip Recruiter show me things that "aren't on my resume" but are.

This has been the reality of looking for a job for.....ever. At least since computers became a thing. I remember my first "real" job at a grocery store requiring I fill out an online application and take a personality test back in 2003-4.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crain posted:

This has been the reality of looking for a job for.....ever. At least since computers became a thing. I remember my first "real" job at a grocery store requiring I fill out an online application and take a personality test back in 2003-4.

Well, it's relatively new to me. Maybe it's just I took 3 or 4 years out to be a stay at home dad and then got back into the work force. Even then, I didn't have to use mainstream methods to find work and just used contacts. It still sucks either way and don't think it really helps things

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 28, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Oh it's complete horseshit and another reason why people are telling lovely jobs to gently caress off. Imagine needing to take a personality test with 14 degrees of tracking to scan poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've already seen a "maybe we should rethink the native born citizen thing" think piece.

You already had your chance to make an amendment to elect Arnold. If it wasn't going to happen then it's NEVER going to happen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, it's relatively new to me. Maybe it's just I took 3 or 4 years out to be a stay at home dad and then got back into the work force. Even then, I didn't have to use mainstream methods to find work and just used contacts. It still sucks either way and don't think it really helps things

It's been like this for at least literally 15 years, and it's always loving hilarious to see people have to deal with it for the first time. Like boomers who went on about how nobody wants to work anymore and how you gotta pound the pavement and demand to see the manager, they get real loving quiet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/hannahsassaman/status/1520034293514444801?s=20&t=zGNvTmDkI-PgWFLKp5e3kw

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crain posted:

Oh it's complete horseshit and another reason why people are telling lovely jobs to gently caress off. Imagine needing to take a personality test with 14 degrees of tracking to scan poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been like this for at least literally 15 years, and it's always loving hilarious to see people have to deal with it for the first time. Like boomers who went on about how nobody wants to work anymore and how you gotta pound the pavement and demand to see the manager, they get real loving quiet.

It's not my first time just that it's gotten worse but at least someone finds it funny.

The hosed up thing is I mostly freelance and am trying to work in some steady, mindless hours here and there that fit with the son I co-parent who has special needs (autism, ADHD, epilepsy) so I figured I'd look at stocking some grocery shelves during off hours that most people can't work. Like 4am to 10am and poo poo. Publix wants to really really make sure I meet their lofty standards for this so I had to take their "how big of a psycho are you?" test.

And those questions are like:
- I often get angry at my co-workers / I think managers are stupid
- I have a bad temper / sometimes it's OK to steal things
- I find it hard to concentrate at work / I occasionally forget things

E

"Nobody wants to work" if they:

- Would prefer not enter their SS# on an online job application, run a credit check and scan their DL
- Needs flexible hours for child care or medical issues
- Would prefer not to take drug tests for things that are legally prescribed

This one application for a state job wanted me to list every drug I've ever used Y/N and with specific dates. Also dates and specifics for traffic tickets. Sorry, but I'm not giving you my social, a full run down of my drug history and I couldn't remember specific dates for speeding tickets or fender benders (or drugs) if I loving tried. Also not entering every printing job I've had to apply for a shelf stocker/truck unloader when it's all right there in my CV.

I answered "no" to every drug question which is probably a red flag all by itself but I've never been arrested for drugs or failed a test so let them prove it. I'm also on the medical weed registry but barely smoke and could pass a drug test probably 95% of the time. Same with the pain meds I take. But I guess legally prescribed schedule 1 drugs are a bridge too far.

So they eliminate half the population from consideration through automation, selective elimination,encourage people to lie, obfuscate direct communication and then cry about nobody wanting to work.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 29, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I had to take one of those back in the day that got weirdly specific and elaborate with the psychopath thing. Like, "you see a coworker steal an item worth less than a dollar. You know she is a single mother and struggling financially. What do you do?" It psyched teenage me out and I decided it was an honesty test. I did not get the job.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"You are walking through a desert and see a tortoise steal a post-it note..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't forget the resume crawlers that automatically filter out anything without exactly the correct keywords! And who knows how much of this poo poo even does what it's supposed to?

And not even getting into the stereotypes I've seriously encountered, like wanting years of experience for entry-level positions, and more years of experience with a software suite than said software has existed for. Like landlords, employers are screaming and whining at anything resembling difficulty in a market that's never been more in their favour since they could literally purchase slaves.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget the resume crawlers that automatically filter out anything without exactly the correct keywords! And who knows how much of this poo poo even does what it's supposed to?

I actually mentioned that.

If you list MSWord, MS Word, MS Office, Microsoft Office, XL, or Excel or use what the filter considers to be incorrect spacing, you go into the "no" pile depending on what whoever wrote the filter designed it to look for. I am basically an expert with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign but god help me if my CV doesn't say Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe CC, Adobe CS or neglects to specifically list Adobe Acrobat in that mix.

Yet, I better keep it short and concise because if it's too long some HR person will dump it in the trash if I somehow manage to make it past my Sociopath Test.

I've had job site feedback for applications that flag me for not knowing "Adobe Creative Cloud" instead of "Adobe CC" or the other way around. "Adobe Creative SUITE" and not "Adobe CS".

But I repeat myself.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
When I was looking for a job a few years ago I had one invitation that turned out to not be an interview, but the chance to write an exam in a room with ten other people and I guess if you did well enough then you'd maybe get an interview? I thought I had misread the email but none of the other people seemed to be expecting to write an exam either.

Then to top it off the exam was entirely concerned with a technology that I had worked on once ten years ago and merited like three words at the bottom of my resume, it was very apparent that at no point had a human actually looked at it. I guess their method must find them at least some employees but what a colossal waste of time for so many people, half the group just up and left.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm astonished that any job above retail clerk would do a personality or worse yet, an "intelligence" test, but I did encounter that when I was applying nationally a few years ago. If I ran into it, it was an automatic pass. Jobs on the west coast seem to avoid this.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's one of the (many) infuriating things with the whole "People just don't want to work!!!" narrative. When the mainstream news bothered to poke it once a few months back, a ton of stories came out about how bad modern hiring was at just screening people out for nothing. Like, one case was just a very qualified woman who finally found out that she was getting auto-screened out of everything because she had a year gap on her resume from when she took quit to take care of her dying mother and resume tech just couldn't handle it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm astonished that any job above retail clerk would do a personality or worse yet, an "intelligence" test, but I did encounter that when I was applying nationally a few years ago. If I ran into it, it was an automatic pass. Jobs on the west coast seem to avoid this.

The police uses IQ tests, so they can reject all the smart applicants.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's one of the (many) infuriating things with the whole "People just don't want to work!!!" narrative. When the mainstream news bothered to poke it once a few months back, a ton of stories came out about how bad modern hiring was at just screening people out for nothing. Like, one case was just a very qualified woman who finally found out that she was getting auto-screened out of everything because she had a year gap on her resume from when she took quit to take care of her dying mother and resume tech just couldn't handle it.

This is what's known as "being unreliable"

I have a gap in my resume from when I was a stay at home dad and my wife made a good salary. Very selfish of me, I know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a gap in my resume from when I was a stay at home dad and my wife made a good salary. Very selfish of me, I know.

People who have the financial ability to take months/years off of work are very likely to have "FU Money", which means they won't grovel and take poo poo at work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So what happens if I apply for a lovely job somewhere and have enter my SS# to proceed and then they have a data breach?

I mean, good loving luck to anyone who wants to steal my ID and assume my credit rating but still.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

So what happens if I apply for a lovely job somewhere and have enter my SS# to proceed and then they have a data breach?

I mean, good loving luck to anyone who wants to steal my ID and assume my credit rating but still.

Given how many enormous data breaches have happened over the last decade I'd say your info is probably already out there. All of ours is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, we should, but not bc of musk

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

The extra hosed up thing is: The "higher up" I've gotten in my career, into corporate jobs, and into lead/senior positions, those kinds of roadblocks completely evaporated.

Hell, getting my security clearance felt less invasive and time consuming than applying to loving Target.

My latest Job consisted of finding the job listing on LinkedIn, being told in the listing to just email a dude my resume, and I had three interviews that amounted to half hour "shoot the poo poo" sessions. One dude never even asked me about anything related to the job he just say I listed some 3D printing stuff so we nerded out about that till he had to go.

It's amazing the level of bullshit people are put through for dog poo poo jobs that absolutely do not need it.

Same situation with the actual level of "work" that is done. Two of my best friends who I worked poo poo hole gas station or warehouse jobs with are both Directors now. Compared to those days they don't do poo poo 90% of a work day. They're both losing their minds trying to find stuff to do. So my theory is micromanaging PMC's and C-Levels call bullshit meetings and hound you simply because they cannot believe how little work they're actually expected to do moment to moment and feel some need to justify it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Like, one case was just a very qualified woman who finally found out that she was getting auto-screened out of everything because she had a year gap on her resume from when she took quit to take care of her dying mother and resume tech just couldn't handle it.

Another thing that people need to wake up about when it comes to this stuff: JUST loving LIE.

THEY'RE NOT GOING TO CHECK.

LIST loving ANYTHING IN THERE.

NO ONE HAS THE TIME TO GO BACK THOUGH SOMEONE'S ENTIRE WORK HISTORY.

And if it's an automated system, again: just lie.

When in doubt with jobs: Lie. Lie all the time.

Crain fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I once actually had to prove I previously worked at a company like 7 years previously that no longer existed; it was absorbed into larger companies and he history was long gone. Eventually I found a pay stub. This was enough.

And the hiring company really wanted me, it was nuts.