Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1519436803270348801
https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1520069412757245953

Oh boy time for all the fun RotS BTS lore and trivia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ok sure, fine, the tongue has a mouth.

But why does the tongue in the mouth also have a tongue?

because george lucas doesn't think anything through

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

That book is a seriously cool read if you can find it. Just all kinds of batshit illustrations like that and some :words: trying to justify the weirdass animals they invented for the universe.

That book was illustrated and co-written by Terryl Whitlatch, who designed pretty much all the new aliens and creatures in Episode I. It's cool that they got a lot of the artists working on the movies from that period to do other Star Wars stuff that actually showed off their art more - apparently when Doug Chiang was working on the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, he was treating it as a warmup for Episode I, only to find out that Lucas wanted to go in a radically different direction with the movie's aesthetics.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

That book was illustrated and co-written by Terryl Whitlatch, who designed pretty much all the new aliens and creatures in Episode I. It's cool that they got a lot of the artists working on the movies from that period to do other Star Wars stuff that actually showed off their art more - apparently when Doug Chiang was working on the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, he was treating it as a warmup for Episode I, only to find out that Lucas wanted to go in a radically different direction with the movie's aesthetics.

Poor guy designed, what, a hundred different pods before George came in and said "you know the engines aren't actually attached, right?" and he had to do it all over

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

That's also a really cool book if you can find it. Chiang's orthogonal blueprint style art in it is just :discourse: for a model building spaceship nerd. You can get precise angles and proportions off of all of it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's amazing the work that artists have to put into these weird errata books that will probably get a lot retconned at the drop of a hat. It's not easy drawing dynamic cross-section shots, but they have to make it all look plausibly realistic.

I like how there's apparently a baby sarlacc budding off of the main body.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

“Stormtrooper Helmet

There are a number of different models of Imperial stormtrooper standard issue helmets, incorporating various specialized components and changing over time with new developments. In this model, enhanced optical equipment creates holographic images of the surrounding terrain, shielding the eye from excessive brightness and offering vision through many barriers such as smoke, darkness, and fire. Optical equipment in trooper helmets can range from simple eye lenses to these elaborate vision processors.”

Oh my god somebody actually wrote up a whole thing and made an interior helmet prop. I assume troopers desperately prayed for their optics to break down, because otherwise they'd probably end up in an eternal haze of popup overlays over their limited field of view. It also really doesn't fit with Star Wars technology where holograms are buggy and there's not a lot of heavily miniaturized technology. The fact that they have binoculars kind of implies that they don't have elaborate eyepieces inside the helmet.

I like how there's explanations for Clone Trooper armor where the initial designs had a lot of horrible ergonomic issues because Kaminoans didn't really know much about human physiology and were just vaguely extrapolating a heavier (but with cheaper materials) model of Jango Fett's armor. And then Commander Rex winds up being a power user and does a chop-shop job on his helmet, keeping the phase 1 visor and welding that into a phase 2 helmet with the added breathing apparatus. (and of course the lil Arc Trooper antenna scope)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Poor guy designed, what, a hundred different pods before George came in and said "you know the engines aren't actually attached, right?" and he had to do it all over

This ironically made Neva Kee a pretty unique racer in the game, even though his pod only appears in like two super-wide establishing shots in the movie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like how there's apparently a baby sarlacc budding off of the main body.

<snip>

I like how there's explanations for Clone Trooper armor where the initial designs had a lot of horrible ergonomic issues because Kaminoans didn't really know much about human physiology and were just vaguely extrapolating a heavier (but with cheaper materials) model of Jango Fett's armor. And then Commander Rex winds up being a power user and does a chop-shop job on his helmet, keeping the phase 1 visor and welding that into a phase 2 helmet with the added breathing apparatus. (and of course the lil Arc Trooper antenna scope)

I think that book actually explains them as being like anglerfish, so that's a male just disintigrating into a set of balls stuck to the side of a female sarlacc.

Also TY for pointing that out about Rex's helmet to me. I totally never noticed it before :psyduck:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I really hate the new cgi mouth on the sarlaac. It looks like poo poo and it doesn't make sense and it fucks with the shots of guys getting eaten

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that book actually explains them as being like anglerfish, so that's a male just disintigrating into a set of balls stuck to the side of a female sarlacc.

Also TY for pointing that out about Rex's helmet to me. I totally never noticed it before :psyduck:

Yeah anglerfish sex is really weird and more disturbing than a real sarlacc would be. Thank the lord these things are stuck at the bottom of the ocean because I want nothing to do with them.

e: this one comes with a picture of Germany. No idea why, but lol.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 29, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah, May, which heralds the return of Mark's Month of Star Wars

https://twitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1520832298920280064

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, May, which heralds the return of Mark's Month of Star Wars

https://twitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1520832298920280064

Obi Wan's look is perfect.
"JFC, this kid"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I heard an interview with Carrie Fisher once where she was asked to tell them something she'd never been asked about filming Star Wars before and she replied that Alec Guinnes once payed Mark Hamill $20 to "go away."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love how Alec Guinness hated working on Star Wars. It defined Obi-Wan in a way that an excited actor probably couldn't.

That said, I would pay 20 bucks to hang out with Mark Hamill.

e: lmfao $20 in 1977 money is almost $96 today.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 2, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love how Alec Guinness hated working on Star Wars. It defined Obi-Wan in a way that an excited actor probably couldn't.

That said, I would pay 20 bucks to hang out with Mark Hamill.

e: lmfao $20 in 1977 money is almost $96 today.

I would pay $96 to hang out with Mark Hamill :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even BTS, Obi-Wan has the high ground

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

I heard an interview with Carrie Fisher once where she was asked to tell them something she'd never been asked about filming Star Wars before and she replied that Alec Guinnes once payed Mark Hamill $20 to "go away."

If I weren’t so lazy I’d photoshop Hamill and Guinness on to this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

St_Ides posted:

If I weren’t so lazy I’d photoshop Hamill and Guinness on to this.

Definitely the kind of guy who'd say "here's 20 bucks, now scram"

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Technically it's May 4th in Australia

https://twitter.com/Tomycardy/status/1521596194920665089?s=20&t=9wbryXQUcm25JJ5-1POPQw

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
happy star wars day

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1521732794950553600

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/rainesz/status/1521862310037360640
https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1521897528781811712

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1522313065059913728

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1522714435231444993

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDRi3lPqv4U

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm posting this because it's stuck in my head and this is my only hope of being rid of it.

"Who need they midichlussy ate"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

"Who need they midichlussy ate"

-

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's funny that two guys that can call each other up on the phone feel the need to take out full page adds jerking each other off about how nooe else can make movies as big as them. Being rich rules

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1523804036838830080

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Another opportunity to post the old TIE fighter color test:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's funny that two guys that can call each other up on the phone feel the need to take out full page adds jerking each other off about how nooe else can make movies as big as them. Being rich rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lol at the boots sticking out :allears: