Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is that loving 90s animated Professor X in live action played by Patrick Stewart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

live with fruit posted:

They made it very clear that there are numerous afterline planes. Mephisto could be from a hell.

Also, it's interesting that they make the afterlife canon right before they introduce (Thor spoiler?) Gorr the God Butcher.

So far this is comics only, so no spoilers. There has been a true hell portrayed in the comics, and the throne there is empty. All of the demonic lords vie for that throne, but all of them know they're unworthy of it. It's pretty explicit that throne belongs to actual Satan but that character has never been portrayed in a Marvel comic. Anyone claiming to be him has been an imposter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol I just found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9A-w11--8o

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

killer crane posted:

If his body died, and there are three people, why were there only two hearts? Or is his body still alive, but Marc and Steven died? Like is Jake just running loose with the body in the real world wrecking poo poo?

Maybe they'll explain it, but just as likely they'll let the big reveal (and the fact that this episode was pretty great) wash over it. Two became one, and it was sweet and painful, etc.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Is that loving 90s animated Professor X in live action played by Patrick Stewart

It's interesting that Captain Carter is in the Illuminati with Mordo and Professor X considering that the former is a bad guy and the latter flawed at best. A range of sympatheticness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still mad that Defenders (which was unbelievably lovely for all kinds of other reasons) didn't have the moment where Elektra stabbed Sigourney Weaver lead to Weaver just laughing and revealing she was Mephisto :mad:
Like I know it's a well-worn joke now of "<x> is Mephisto!" but goddammit I wanted Sigourney Weaver to be Mephisto :negative:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, we can never say enough how good of an actor Oscar Isaac is. I could probably tell Steven and Marc apart with nothing but their faces.

He's incredible

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'd settle for Keanu Reeves as Mephisto

Dreamboat

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Infinitum posted:

I'd settle for Keanu Reeves as Mephisto

Dreamboat

Keanu is already a much scarier character as John Wick.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

John Wick for Midnight Sons :hmmyes:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

STEEEE-ven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvD0dAtfRQ

e: I was honestly hoping Ethan Hawke would go into a dream dance number
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfE3TDJwHs

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 29, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is what Jake is doing in the sarcophagus.

Also, I saw a good theory that I agree with. The third personality/Jake is a trauma split like Steven Grant, but specifically his rage trying to retaliate against the abuse. We see him for sure when Marc is knocked out in Egypt, but there's also the incredibly bloody ways the bad guys in the first episode were killed when they tried to take the scarab before the cupcake chase, the unusual behavior "Marc" had after the fight with Anton where he's trying to avoid talking to Layla about anything on the drive, and the way "Marc" is acting in this episode at the beginning in Harrow's office with the broken nose where he's very rageful and barely speaking.

Marc didn't even seem to know he existed in episode 3, so there's a good possibility that Jake is an unknown-to-him split that takes over when serious physical trauma causes him to lash out. Khonshu and Steven could very well have thought they were communicating to Marc when it was actually Jake trying to pretend otherwise.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 29, 2022

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

mutata posted:

The hippo also mentions that there's multiple planes of existence and comments how beautiful the ancestral plane from Black Panther is.

I really appreciated that little detail :)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/moon-knight-antonia-salib-taweret

Details on Antonia Salib's portrayal of Taweret. This is her first ever IMDB credit, and they filmed it with her wearing giant platform hippo shoes and dressed in all the costume clothing and jewelry in her place on set so she could be properly in character and provide reference motion for the CGI hippo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Details on Antonia Salib's portrayal of Taweret. This is her first ever IMDB credit, and they filmed it with her wearing giant platform hippo shoes and dressed in all the costume clothing and jewelry in her place on set so she could be properly in character and provide reference motion for the CGI hippo.

That's pretty cool. I thought she did a great job and was wondering who the voice was.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

I really appreciated that little detail :)

Made me feel all tingly and happy.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is such a great article! I wish hope we get to see them doing this in a behind the scenes thing at some point.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I saw a good theory that I agree with. The third personality/Jake is a trauma split like Steven Grant, but specifically his rage trying to retaliate against the abuse.

This tracks, when therapist Harrow is asking who was the real person. Did Marc created Steven to hide from trauma, or did Steven create Marc to lash out? What if Marc created both?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Slamhound posted:

I assume it was Jake pounding to get out of the sarcophagus in episode 4 (just after Marc helps Stephen out of his).

Is Harrow trying to find out who's in that sarcophagus and thinks it may be "the boy" that he's trying to get Marc to remember? Harrow needs the three personalities to be revealed in order to finish his plan?

Yeah if Dr. Harrow isn't completely made up I figured he's trying to judge Marc/Steven before they go to the afterlife and he needs the personalities sorted out to do that, hence the fake Dr. persona

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

killer crane posted:

This tracks, when therapist Harrow is asking who was the real person. Did Marc created Steven to hide from trauma, or did Steven create Marc to lash out? What if Marc created both?

My guess is that Jake is a personality Marc didn't even know about, because he seems to only appear when he blacks out from pain or injury. Steven gets to be the happy alt with a normal life who can forget about his abuse, but he also accidentally created an alt that responds to the belt by fighting back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So is this one of those comic book things that you can't think too hard about, or is it realistic that Marc and Steven can have a double life? When we meet Steven he's noticing himself missing time here and there, but the dude's like 40, that seems an awfully long amount of time to be secretly doing mercenary work and getting married and whatnot, for you to not know anything about it while you work your little museum job.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We know that Marc makes an effort to preserve Stephen's reality and there are presumably mental blocks in place to prevent Stephen from questioning things too hard (like 'why does it always go to voicemail when I call my mum?)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Phenotype posted:

So is this one of those comic book things that you can't think too hard about, or is it realistic that Marc and Steven can have a double life? When we meet Steven he's noticing himself missing time here and there, but the dude's like 40, that seems an awfully long amount of time to be secretly doing mercenary work and getting married and whatnot, for you to not know anything about it while you work your little museum job.

Steven was unconsciously ignoring any contradictions, like talking to his mom despite her being dead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Finally remembered where I knew her from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2dRkm8ATU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rarity posted:

We know that Marc makes an effort to preserve Stephen's reality and there are presumably mental blocks in place to prevent Stephen from questioning things too hard (like 'why does it always go to voicemail when I call my mum?)

Sure, sure, but it just kinda stretches my disbelief a bit because Oscar Isaac is in his forties -- he's been living as two separate people for like thirty years, which seems like a really long time for him never to have had all these revelations. It feels like all this should have come out when he was in his twenties, maybe.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Phenotype posted:

Sure, sure, but it just kinda stretches my disbelief a bit because Oscar Isaac is in his forties -- he's been living as two separate people for like thirty years, which seems like a really long time for him never to have had all these revelations. It feels like all this should have come out when he was in his twenties, maybe.

I don’t think Steven came out much until his mom died

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So, I don't really know how this would work with the whole other sarcophagus and all, but could Dr. Harrow be Jake in Marc's head? And his "sessions" are trying to take out at least one personality so he can gain more control?

I haven't read the comics, so I'm totally shooting blind here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The job we see Steven having is very menial, so presumably he wasn't doing a hell of a lot of "living" for most of his existence. The shiva is I think only 2 months before the show begins.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

So, I don't really know how this would work with the whole other sarcophagus and all, but could Dr. Harrow be Jake in Marc's head? And his "sessions" are trying to take out at least one personality so he can gain more control?

I haven't read the comics, so I'm totally shooting blind here.

Except that in episode 5 don't we pretty much see Jake (or somebody other than Steven and Marc) try to kill "Dr. Harrow" with a glass shard?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is such a great article! I wish hope we get to see them doing this in a behind the scenes thing at some point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

Except that in episode 5 don't we pretty much see Jake (or somebody other than Steven and Marc) try to kill "Dr. Harrow" with a glass shard?

I know the thread has been running with this theory, but the director seems to be saying here that that wasn't Jake.

https://twitter.com/MohamedDiab678/status/1519354886449549312

You could say that he was just saying, "No, I won't confirm it," but the simpler way to interpret his tweet is that no, that wasn't Jake.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's called purposefully obfurscating

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People in the MCU never ever lie so we should definitely trust him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Andrew Garfield was directly asked to his face if he was in No Way Home and he said no, even though footage of him on set had already leaked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chitoryu12 posted:

Andrew Garfield was directly asked to his face if he was in No Way Home and he said no, even though footage of him on set had already leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIyF0d1fmE4

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Given the history of MCU shows, however, it's far more likely it just isn't Jake.

it's mephisto

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, someone on Tumblr brought up an incredibly sad interpretation of things. Remember how Randall is the one who drew the one-finned fish, and Steven never experienced the abuse even seconds after he first appeared? Marc was taking over for all of the bad stuff so Steven could live happily in ignorance.

Steven was Marc’s replacement for the brother he couldn’t protect.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My theory as to what's going on:

This is Ammit's power putting Marc on trial, trying to sort out if he deserves to die or not, and by extension also Harrow on trial for the killing. Tawaret's scales were flipping out just like Harrow's tattoo did in the first episode. Harrow killed Marc, but he's devoted to a goddess of justice however warped. So Ammit wants to know: was killing Marc/Steve/whoever else in fact just? Or has Harrow defied her? I think that's why Dr. Harrow keeps trying to assert that the psychiatric ward is real, because he knows that this whole thing isn't so much a near death (or actual death) experience, but an inquisition by a goddess of justice.

Given the ending, I suspect that Ammit has decided that no, killing Marc was not just, and that can only mean things are about to get even messier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ This makes a lot of sense and would fit with some pre-release footage we’ve seen. (speculation based on trailer footage)Theres a scene of Moon knight seemingly fighting a powered Layla, so I’m guessing she becomes Ammit’s new avatar after Harrow gets judged. Maybe Khonshu wasn’t completely full of poo poo and there’s something about her that makes for a good avatar body

At this point I think the 3rd personality is Bushman, not Jake(though he could be like Jake “Bushman” Lockley or something). If Marc is aware of him then he pulled a really risky move trying to balance the scales without telling Steven about it though

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

thrawn527 posted:

I know the thread has been running with this theory, but the director seems to be saying here that that wasn't Jake.

https://twitter.com/MohamedDiab678/status/1519354886449549312

You could say that he was just saying, "No, I won't confirm it," but the simpler way to interpret his tweet is that no, that wasn't Jake.

I know, goons, face blindness, etc. But the reason it's not Jake is because it's clearly Nick Miller and someone is trying to give him a cookie.