Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Wittgen posted:

I just finished Peace Talks the other day and am maybe 100 pages into Battle Ground. They seem kinda bad. Like some of the fun popcorn paperback stuff is present, but the bad is really distracting.

There's so much repetition. Dresden compared the same phenomena to the movie The Blob twice in the spam of 20 pages. Karrin and Harry repeat the same conversation about being worried but letting her fight like five times. Ebenezer and Harry's confrontations also feel repetitive. Same with the warden guy.

And of course the sexual appraisal stuff is nonstop. Including about Molly's younger sister? All gross.

Anyway, there is so much repetition that I kinda don't think this actually had to be two books.

Arguably worse, the emotional arcs are a complete mess. Ebeneezer flies into a rage and kills Harry while trying to kill Harry's brother and girlfriend. And their next conversation he's all chuckling about he's going to do what he thinks is best for Harry. And Harry is cool with it? gently caress off you insane abusive rear end in a top hat. Why in the world does the text think I will be cool with this guy?

Both books desperately needed a better editor. I thought Butcher did comparatively better on the sexual appraisal stuff. At least this time it was more of a "wow has time flown" instead of "This is Molly. These are Molly's super awesome tits. Aren't Molly's super awesome tits just super awesome?"

I will say that Battle Ground gets better over time. Or at least the action comes so fast and furious that you don't notice the bad stuff as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I was thinking back over Peace Talks/Battle Ground and one thing that stood out to me initially and then I kinda forgot, was Harry's reaction to hearing that Thomas went on a murder spree. There was no, are you sure/that doesn't sound like him/he's actually a good person underneath I swear, just straight to yep, sure, it was only a matter of time. Which feels like either odd characterization for Harry (who normally sees the good in those he cares for) or downright horrifying characterization, in that he saw the potential for evil and did literally nothing to ward against it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Remember his ex-wife he divorced?

Turns out she was his editor and was heavily involved in the previous books, and IMO it's pretty obvious his writing is greatly missing her oversight.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It was always gonna be hard to hit the same highs as books 10-12 (though even those are tainted with too much tits talk). I enjoyed both Peace Talks and Battle Ground, though I can't really disagree with any of the criticisms.

Is Mirror Mirror the next book? I wonder if he is pushing the next Denarian book to 21 instead of 20 because of the book split or not.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

mastajake posted:

It was always gonna be hard to hit the same highs as books 10-12 (though even those are tainted with too much tits talk). I enjoyed both Peace Talks and Battle Ground, though I can't really disagree with any of the criticisms.

Is Mirror Mirror the next book? I wonder if he is pushing the next Denarian book to 21 instead of 20 because of the book split or not.

According to his site Mirror Mirror will be book 19 and book 18 will be Twelve Months. Anybody's guess when it comes out, though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Everyone posted:

According to his site Mirror Mirror will be book 19 and book 18 will be Twelve Months. Anybody's guess when it comes out, though.

He still hasn’t put out the next Cinder Spires book that he has been working on for 3 years. His website hasn’t been updated since September and that was just a publicist updating about a convention. Butcher’s last update was in the 2020.

The likelihood of him finishing Dresden Files is pretty slim at this point unless he drastically changes his pace. He has like 5-6 case files to finish and his big trilogy. At his current pace, that’s 20-30 years.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, we will literally be in the throes of spiraling climate change disasters by then.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

The next Schaefer work on Patreon is going to be a sequel to the Hungry Dreaming. However, Heather will be doing a lot of historical research on it so I'm not sure when it will start popping up.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, we will literally be in the throes of spiraling climate change disasters by then.

The world will end before his big trilogy about the world ending.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Jim Butcher has a new life now. I think his books came from an unhappy place & now he's happier and doesn't care about / need to express via his work so much.

I hope his ex wife's editing efforts were appreciated.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
"The girl who can move poo poo with her mind" series is a fun read. There are 3 out so far. The first one is kinda rough but I like the setting and it doesn't shy away from consequences when poo poo goes bad. The writing in 2 and 3 is more polished and it goes some interesting places.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ninurta posted:

The next Schaefer work on Patreon is going to be a sequel to the Hungry Dreaming. However, Heather will be doing a lot of historical research on it so I'm not sure when it will start popping up.

I read that they were going to keep using their dead name as their pen name, so now I'm wondering where the appropriate line is for name referencing on forums like this?

Like, unless you're their personal friend or someone they otherwise have a relationship with that isn't "I read their books", using their chosen name almost feels like being rude in a "you're acting too familiar about someone who doesn't even know you" way?

Like using a doctor's first name instead of "Dr. Lastname" when they haven't explicitly said "call me by my first name"? Not the best metaphor but the point is avoiding disrespecting a stranger.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 5, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's an interesting question in the era of parasocial relationships. The dead name is effectively the corporate entity separate from the person. This has been effectively true for a while as an 'author' byline in publishing is as much the amalgamated entity including the editing, marketing, and other publishing persons as much as the author themselves.

Now we have Twitter and people feel an attachment to the individual behind the cover, so you have to split off the author from the Author.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I posted this in the KU thread, and hopefully its ok to post here too.

I've just self-published my urban fantasy Unit 13: Only Ghouls and Horses.

https://viewbook.at/OnlyGhoulsAndHorses

If you like jokes about office bureaucracy then this book is for you.

Also, it has some magic, hunting witches, trying to exorcise ghosts and stuff like that to pad out the jokes about bureaucracy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sloth Life posted:

Jim Butcher has a new life now. I think his books came from an unhappy place & now he's happier and doesn't care about / need to express via his work so much.

I hope his ex wife's editing efforts were appreciated.

After reading book 16 I know I appreciated her efforts in hindsight on the previous 15 books.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ninurta posted:

Did they do the sci fi story that was announced or was that put on the back burner?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

M_Gargantua posted:

It's an interesting question in the era of parasocial relationships. The dead name is effectively the corporate entity separate from the person. This has been effectively true for a while as an 'author' byline in publishing is as much the amalgamated entity including the editing, marketing, and other publishing persons as much as the author themselves.

Now we have Twitter and people feel an attachment to the individual behind the cover, so you have to split off the author from the Author.

If you look at their current Twitter bio that says their pen name is Heather Schaefer.

I guess the article I read the other day about this was wrong?

Edit:

I took a shot and sent a DM since speculation about someone should always takes a backseat to the actual person's preference.

There we go.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 5, 2022

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Speaking of Schaefer, the new one (Any Minor World) was a lot of fun, a story with new characters and a big chunk of it set in the dystopian superhero parallel universe from that one chapter in the Locust Job. Felt like an affectionate tribute to vintage pulps (the Shadow, in particular) and comic books, while looking at what would happen to people living in an even more hosed up version of Gotham City. (The setting's one and only hero is a traumatized drunk and one of the villains, a cannibalistic psycho, is completely aware that she's a fictional character and loves it, because she knows she's a main character and therefore will never face any consequences for anything she does.) Also it's got a steampunk sledgehammer robot in a gimp suit, and a sand snake.

StonecutterJoe fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 5, 2022

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

Did they do the sci fi story that was announced or was that put on the back burner?

The Sci-Fi story was wrapped up and Heather Schaefer had put up a vote for the next book to work on. The Hungry Dreaming sequel won out, but I was holding out hope for another dark fantasy.

The Sci-Fi book is good, btw. It's sort of a fusion of Hungry Dreaming, Ghosts of Gotham, the future sequence from Faust and Titans thrown in for good measure.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 6, 2022

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ninurta posted:

The Sci-Fi story was wrapped up and Heather Schaefer had put up a vote for the next book to work on. The Hungry Dreaming sequel won out, but I was holding out hope for another dark fantasy.

The Sci-Fi book is good, btw. It's sort of a fusion of Hungry Dreaming, Ghosts of Gotham, the future sequence from Faust and Titans thrown in for good measure.

Is it the book that got released the other day, or is that a completely new book out of nowhere?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

Is it the book that got released the other day, or is that a completely new book out of nowhere?

It is not Any Minor World, that is a separate book that was the previous Patreon serial.

The Sci-Fi book is the Dead and Sleeping Stars, which could honestly serve as a sequel to any of the previous novels. There are witches, the Greek Pantheon and some cybernetics to boot as well as sleeping Titans best left in their depths. It has an Aliens-Shadowrun esthetic with a dash of Firefly/SF about a crew of misfits of your choice. If you are really interested in getting it early(AMM was finished in August 2021 so there's about an 8 month lag time but I believe the earlier books were quicker.) You can do a 1 month sub for $2 and get access to the whole thing, however in chapter by chapter format which can be a bit unwieldy.

Edit: not sure why quote was cut off with my first post, fixed.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 7, 2022

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Finished the new Rivers of London book. It's more of the same; if you like the previous books in the series and want more of that, this is that.

Ninurta posted:

So, I recently finished up both Amongst Our Enemies (Rivers of London) and Suicide Kings (Eric Carter.) I found both enjoyable, but felt that the latter did a good job of expanding it's universe, showing off more hosed up Mage politics, and generally just having a bit more fun. I'm looking forward to the next books in both series, as well as the next Daniel Faust when it's released.

Finally finished the new Rivers of London book. What a fun "run of the mill" series book after series ending Verus and the continuing chaos that is Dresden. I like how there's all this background meta development that is just a thing now (mainly the foxes and various cameos of characters I definitely barely remember from past books). Am I the only one that gets a mid series Stargate-ish vibe? Peter is no longer plucky guy out of his depth and his slow accumulation of things is starting to come together. Anyway, I could keep listening to a bunch more of these chill books before I get bored of the lack of high stakes big bad I think.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

There's a Butcher book coming in October!...from his son.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mans-Ha...ps%2C115&sr=8-1

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Ninurta posted:

The summary reads like Dresden files in Boston.

Edit: It would be really funny if his mom edits it and it turns out to be better than the recent Dresden files.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 10, 2022

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Xtanstic posted:

Finally finished the new Rivers of London book. What a fun "run of the mill" series book after series ending Verus and the continuing chaos that is Dresden. I like how there's all this background meta development that is just a thing now (mainly the foxes and various cameos of characters I definitely barely remember from past books). Am I the only one that gets a mid series Stargate-ish vibe? Peter is no longer plucky guy out of his depth and his slow accumulation of things is starting to come together. Anyway, I could keep listening to a bunch more of these chill books before I get bored of the lack of high stakes big bad I think.

The foxes made me laugh several times, so intent on their spycraft

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ClydeFrog posted:

The foxes made me laugh several times, so intent on their spycraft

I love the foxes for being spies who can be compromised by cheese pastries and lap cuddles. I admit that I really missed Abigail Kamara in this book.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Everyone posted:

I love the foxes for being spies who can be compromised by cheese pastries and lap cuddles. I admit that I really missed Abigail Kamara in this book.

same, the fox trying to explain spycraft via cats, nazis, and cheese puffs is gold

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Calidus posted:

The summary reads like Dresden files in Boston.

Edit: It would be really funny if his mom edits it and it turns out to be better than the recent Dresden files.

Here's hoping Pengiun assigned a better editor at any rate. They're publishing it but under the Ace Books imprint I guess to not dilute the Dresden Files brand?

Speaking of, looks like there is a Toot-Toot short story released last week as part of an anthology, and James Marsters is narrating it on Audible.

https://www.amazon.com/Heroic-Heart...ps%2C141&sr=8-2

Sorry for the Toot-sized image, that's all that is floating around on Amazon/Goodreads.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ninurta posted:

Welp, add "My son is humiliating me by writing better books" to Jim Butcher's reasons for never finishing the Dresden Files.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Better than Changes or better than Battle Ground? Because the former is hella impressive and the latter is regularly accomplished by the folks at Kelloggs designing cereal box copy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp, add "My son is humiliating me by writing better books" to Jim Butcher's reasons for never finishing the Dresden Files.

Is it actually any good?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Is it actually any good?

It doesn't need to be good, just needs to not be bad.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ImpAtom posted:

Is it actually any good?

It's not out yet - unless BBFU has an advance copy they're just speculating.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I mean

immoral_ posted:

It doesn't need to be good, just needs to not be bad.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Everyone posted:

Yeah I was pretty ambivalent on any standalone Abigail story, but if it involves foxes in any shape I may have to rethink my position

Ninurta posted:

Sorry for the Toot-sized image, that's all that is floating around on Amazon/Goodreads.

Oh it's a short story collection. I definitely thought Butcher was now 'lending' his name to ghost-writters to further the series ala all the MilFic airport books. I guess if his son is now writing, maybe we'll eventually see Dresden finish even if Jim can't finish the job. Echo'ing the hope that he has a better editor than the most recent Dresden books though.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

awesmoe posted:

i feel like im the only person who reads those books because i like the character of peter grant

I like Peter well enough, but one thing I've realized as I've worked my way through the series is that I have zero emotional investment in him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fighting Trousers posted:

I like Peter well enough, but one thing I've realized as I've worked my way through the series is that I have zero emotional investment in him.

Rivers of London suffers from the same "the world and its past is infinitely more interesting than the main character" syndrome as the Iron Druid books, except Peter is far less irritating a person than Atticus.

Give me a God damned Folly/Nightingale/WWII series of novels.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah I was pretty ambivalent on any standalone Abigail story, but if it involves foxes in any shape I may have to rethink my position

What Abigail Did That Summer involved many, many adorable foxes.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rivers of London suffers from the same "the world and its past is infinitely more interesting than the main character" syndrome as the Iron Druid books, except Peter is far less irritating a person than Atticus.

Give me a God damned Folly/Nightingale/WWII series of novels.

He really should just move on from Peter as the POV character for every book. I don't think the Laundry Files did a great job moving on from Bob so don't make that mistake but more of a shared would like Schaefer would be nice. I'd probably enjoy Peter more as a character if he he was only every third released book or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

awesmoe posted:

i feel like im the only person who reads those books because i like the character of peter grant

No, I do too. The entire series is populated by fantastic characters, but I think Peter is interesting because he has a presence in so many different overlapping worlds.