Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Lance is the worst weapon in Rise and practicaly every other weapon has that kind of mobility now.

Nooo, my lance :negative:

I've only played the demo a bunch so far. Sad to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I thought everyone knows that the author pretty much made up all sorts of bullshit for that book?

My point being that Yakuza also makes up a whole lot of bullshit for itself and that's part of what rules about it :allears: Almost all yakuza media (that makes its way west?) is over the top

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 29, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hyperbolica is really unfomfortable in a way that's hard to describe.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Heran Bago posted:

Hyperbolica is really unfomfortable

:hmmyes:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thanks mom.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Heran Bago posted:

Hyperbolica is really unfomfortable in a way that's hard to describe.

Oh drat that game came out? Neat, I was waiting for it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh drat that game came out? Neat, I was waiting for it.

It's a real Experience and a cool thing you could only see in games. Don't get stoned for it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Artelier posted:

I see Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 are on 50% off. Would I like either of them?

Monster Hunter Rise
- Only played MH World so far, bounced off it because I wasn't a fan of how stiff the game was, and how long the average battle took
- This one looks to be a lot faster, almost DMC-like in terms of movement, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate reading of the combat flow or if it's just traversal that's faster
- Is it still very obtuse/dumps everything at player from the start like MH World?

Just looking for a new game to play now that I finished the big solo games that I'm currently playing.

it depends - rise and world have similar combat systems, but rise is a lot smoother and faster. the biggest difference imo is that world happily wastes so much of your time walking around very slowly to poke at monster poop before you can actually track what you want to kill, while rise lets you see it immediately, gives you a dog that you can ride at top speed towards it, basically cutting out all the (imo) boring lovely office admin work parts of monster hunter to let you exclusively focus on the combat. if that's the part you enjoy, rise is truly amazing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When did the Yakuza series get it's reputation for the insane, zany, wild, comedy side stories? I'm still on Akiyama and out of 12 side stories so far at best 1 of them is sufficiently more interesting then "go to X, fight 1 person" or just running around to a few different locations just to talk to someone for 5 seconds.

Also, not for nothing, and I know they make a big deal with the disclaimer at the start of the game, but when a woman and her young son come into the loan office seeking money to escape a drunken abusive husband, Akiyama goes "You need to find a job" and when the middle age woman comes back to say no one would hire her because she it too old he tells her to go work a sex shop if she's serious about needing money.

I've haven't really had anything up to this point in the Yakuza series pull me out of the game experience like that but holy gently caress is that just absolutely tasteless in all the ways.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:magical:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

When did the Yakuza series get it's reputation for the insane, zany, wild, comedy side stories? I'm still on Akiyama and out of 12 side stories so far at best 1 of them is sufficiently more interesting then "go to X, fight 1 person" or just running around to a few different locations just to talk to someone for 5 seconds.

Also, not for nothing, and I know they make a big deal with the disclaimer at the start of the game, but when a woman and her young son come into the loan office seeking money to escape a drunken abusive husband, Akiyama goes "You need to find a job" and when the middle age woman comes back to say no one would hire her because she it too old he tells her to go work a sex shop if she's serious about needing money.

I've haven't really had anything up to this point in the Yakuza series pull me out of the game experience like that but holy gently caress is that just absolutely tasteless in all the ways.

Mmmostly 4/5/0 but that particular Akiyama substory is extremely widely derided, yes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

FishMcCool posted:

Major Y4 spoilers but if you're curious...

Kiryu No Yakuza protagonist has ever killed a man.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The story beat in Yakuza where all the main characters realise they have no idea what's actually happening in the plot so they just take their shirts off, put a bunch of money in a big pile and beat the poo poo out of anyone who comes to take it is one of the greatest videogame things of all time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jokymi posted:

Dorfromatik came out of early access today. I've had it on my wishlist for a bit and decided to buy it and give it a try. If you want a chill little building game with some puzzle elements, I would recommend it! It feels like a single-player Carcassonne where the goal is to build as large of a landscape as you can by matching random hexagonal tiles together and forming them into a pretty landscape.

You have a limited number of tiles on each map, but by meeting quests that periodically pop-up (such as building a city with a certain number of houses or completely closing off a farm) you'll add more to your stack. There's also longer term goals to work for that unlock special tiles.

You'll probably tell if it's the kind of game you'll like by just looking at the screenshots on the store page. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, and I have a feeling it's the type of game that I'll keep coming back to and playing in short bursts.

Another voice in favour of this game.

At one point in the early access build, when you ran out of tiles, the message was 'game over' or something slightly negative like that, and people asked if it could be changed, so now it says 'session complete' instead. Because of the vibes. :3:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Pwnstar posted:

The story beat in Yakuza where all the main characters realise they have no idea what's actually happening in the plot so they just take their shirts off, put a bunch of money in a big pile and beat the poo poo out of anyone who comes to take it is one of the greatest videogame things of all time.

I know, Yakuza 4 is my favorite and I can't believe so many people dislike it. Even Tanimura has a redemptive aspect in that his taunt is firing a gun into the air.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I liked Tanimura too :( His fighting style was a nice change of pace and he gets one of the most Yakuza submissions ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS35L9KFw5A
:bravo:
Too bad about the actor's drug scandal.

FishMcCool posted:

Major Y4 spoilers but if you're curious...
:words:
Yakuza games are spectacularly silly, which is a major part of the charm, but I totally respect Yakuza 4's very special brand of crazy. Fair play to Y6 though and the lever that you pull to reveal not a golden castle but the battleship Yamato.
Ahem, it was a second Yamato.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 29, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

I see Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 are on 50% off. Would I like either of them?

Monster Hunter Rise
- Only played MH World so far, bounced off it because I wasn't a fan of how stiff the game was, and how long the average battle took
- This one looks to be a lot faster, almost DMC-like in terms of movement, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate reading of the combat flow or if it's just traversal that's faster
- Is it still very obtuse/dumps everything at player from the start like MH World?

MH Rise might still feel a little "stiff" as it's still the same core combat as the rest of the games, but you're correct that you have a lot more mobility than in World. While monsters take a similar number of hits to kill, they're marked on the map as soon as you start a quest and the movement system means you can traverse the zone very very quickly, leading to less downtime and a much faster pace than World. As for the last point I'm not really sure, I guess it depends on what you found to be obtuse? I'm interested in what you mean, as World is arguably way more streamlined than previous entries.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Can someone red and rover this for me?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

pentyne posted:

There are definitely some questionable side stories in the series. I mean stuff like the Pizza/Visa story is really hosed up if you think about it even for a second.

Since you're playing Y4 have fun with Saejima and 1) his sluggish combat until you upgrade him sufficiently and 2) the absolute most uncomfortable moment ever.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 29, 2022

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Also shout out to Yakuza 3(?) remake for removing a sidequest with bad portrayal of trans people and adding one where Kiryu meets a trans lady and encourages her to be confident in her relationships and that if her boyfriend doesn't accept who she is then it isn't her fault.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

Pwnstar posted:

Also shout out to Yakuza 3(?) remake for removing a sidequest with bad portrayal of trans people and adding one where Kiryu meets a trans lady and encourages her to be confident in her relationships and that if her boyfriend doesn't accept who she is then it isn't her fault.

I was nervously waiting for Yakuza to be real lovely the whole time I was playing the series given the conservatism of Japan and the fact that it frequently deals in spaces occupied by marginalized people. Guess I'm glad I played the remakes!

GhostDog posted:

Since you're playing Y4 have fun with Saejima and 1) his sluggish combat until you upgrade him sufficiently and 2) the absolute most uncomfortable moment ever.

Which moment is this?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Waste of Breath posted:

Which moment is this?

My guess is Saejima looking like he's about to rape Haruka. This was a bit of a :stonk: moment to say the least. Then Kiryu arrives, and instead of laying waste to Saejima he just goes "long time since you saw a woman, eh? amirite? amirite?"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Up_Appearances

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

I was nervously waiting for Yakuza to be real lovely the whole time I was playing the series given the conservatism of Japan and the fact that it frequently deals in spaces occupied by marginalized people. Guess I'm glad I played the remakes!

Which moment is this?

There's definitely some lovely baggage in the Yakuza series but they are genuinely trying to be nice and uplifting which is more than I can say for some franchises.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

StrixNebulosa posted:

In-joke from the new Stanley Parable and British TV show "Keeping Up Appearances". Explaining jokes doesn't make them land, so check the game out at least, which is worth your time.

Waste of Breath posted:

Which moment is this?

I had forgotten this was from Y4. In fact, I think I tried to forget it completely, but going by the "absolute most uncomfortable moment ever" description brought it up from some repressed part in my brain.

So, Saejima is a dude who spent 15 years in prison under complete isolation. When he manages to escape, he nearly drowns and comes back to the living being found in the most unlikely of places, in Kiryu's orphanage. When he comes to, Kiryu's teen daughter (Haruka) is looking at him and something beastly primal stupid whatever happens to him and Saejima immediately pins her down, because the dude has not seen anyone, even less women, in 15 years. He also comes back to his senses quickly and Haruka doesn't rat him out to Kiryu (who would have otherwise eviscerated Saejima in ten seconds). Saejima never does anything like this ever again or anything similarly creepy in the whole series from what I recall, but it's still a Thing That Happened and ugh.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 29, 2022

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Reading these posts I'm remembering why I blocked that out! Sorry for bringing it up.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

lol I haven't thought about that show in years but this is great

Everyone go buy Sniper Elite 4 and the Target: Fuhrer mission since it's on heavy sale right now and enjoy popping Hitler in the balls

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fast cars loose anus posted:

lol I haven't thought about that show in years but this is great

Everyone go buy Sniper Elite 4 and the Target: Fuhrer mission since it's on heavy sale right now and enjoy popping Hitler in the balls

*ball

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Sniper Elite 2 also had a mission where you assassinated Hitler, except... if you hit him in the nuts it shows he has two, confirming that the target was just a bodydouble.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

My nightmare is that I'll get to that room and it will be full of people.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anybody played Trigon? I'm fairly interested in sci-fi FTL likes (and other games in the same vein like Crying Suns and Void Bastards).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never been more fulfilled than when I got my 26th figley in Stanley Parable

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

am i missing something in heroes of hammerwatch? my mage is clearly not meant to beat the second boss, and the tier 3 upgrade prices are absurd.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Nooo, my lance :negative:

I've only played the demo a bunch so far. Sad to hear it.

Counterpoint: Gunlance is brilliant in Rise.

Though the only thing Lance and Gunlance have in common is a lance and a shield, so that's not a very useful statement. But still: play Rise GL, it's brilliant!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rogue legacy 2 is rating far better than i thought it would have from early impressions, it's got me intrigued

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never been more fulfilled than when I got my 26th figley in Stanley Parable

The balloons won't go away, I seem to still be in the sequel, and I think I might even still be inside the infinite hole.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I've played a couple hours of Haiku, the Robot on my Deck and am enjoying it so far. Definitely worth playing while you wait for Silksong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

rogue legacy 2 is rating far better than i thought it would have from early impressions, it's got me intrigued

I love love love the first one and was kinda disappointed when people started saying the second one wasn’t nearly as good.

I’m hoping it’s good because I am waiting to get it.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

Anybody played Trigon? I'm fairly interested in sci-fi FTL likes (and other games in the same vein like Crying Suns and Void Bastards).

I played it during one of the demo fests maybe six months ago. At that point, I felt like it didn't do much that was different from FTL and the higher fidelity presentation actually made it harder to see what was going on. It also had an isometric viewpoint so sometimes it was hard to tell where a particular crew member was or if a room was staffed. I really liked FTL though so I'm waiting to see what people have to say and if they've built on the design of FTL or just given it a new coat of paint.

You might be interested in checking out XO. It looks like it's been in early access for a while but I had it pop up in my recommendations the other day and it's got a demo. I've only spent a few minutes with it, but what I saw was good and there were no obvious red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rogue Legacy one is one of the worst games I've ever played. The humor was tired and the progression glacial and annoying. Plus it was hideous. Just a total failure of a game. I highly doubt the sequel will be good