Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
looking at that video again it's amazing they don't even have fully green leaves, they have leaves with a definite fall vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

If you mix it 1:1 with lovely beer, it makes both drinkable. Or at least you very quickly stop noticing the taste.

Chad move is skip 'em both and drink makgeolli, the Korean booze that is actually good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i don't think it's fair to compare baijiu to soju. baijiu at its worst is a lot worse than soju, and at its best, it's comparable to a bottle of chumchurum, but way more expensive

the best baijiu i've had was one distilled near emeishan. the worst i've had was just a bottle of red star erguotou, which coincidentally i had on the way down from emeishan

edit: makgeolli is the best, especially cheongju (similarly, xiaomijiu is the superior taiwanese beverage)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our maple tree is deep red year-round. It's heckin fluffy rn.
I want to believe

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

Chad move is skip 'em both and drink makgeolli, the Korean booze that is actually good.

I was out at a Korean place with some friends and I kept talking up makgeolli, because it's loving great and I would drink it even if it had no alcohol. Makgeolli is the best.

But then everyone thought it was poo poo besides me :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

I was out at a Korean place with some friends and I kept talking up makgeolli, because it's loving great and I would drink it even if it had no alcohol. Makgeolli is the best.

But then everyone thought it was poo poo besides me :(

Time for new friends.

(though the makgeolli available outside Korea isn't all that great to be fair. still way better than fuckin soju or hite tho)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cheongju is also up there. i guess sake takes up all the foreign demand for rice wines tho

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know I must have tried cheongju at some point but all I can think of is the cooking stuff. Makgeolli has gotten hard enough to find in Korea, I can't remember ever seeing cheongju.

Was so sad the time I went back to Korea and every single makgeolli jip I remembered was gone. I couldn't find any new ones either.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I bought soju once because I didn't know what it was and the liquor store had deeply discounted it.

I don't think I've ever poured out any other bottle of booze before or since.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's vile. The only reason to drink it in Korea is that it's literally cheaper than water. The people paying $15+ for a bottle of Jinro at restaurants in the US are hilarious.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Soju is the hot new thing here in the decadent west for some reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yet another horrific consequence of kpop.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grand Fromage posted:

Yet another horrific consequence of kpop.

My eyes crossed a bit when I read this and I thought you said consequences of kupo

Koreans confirmed moogles

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

McGavin posted:

Soju is the hot new thing here in the decadent west for some reason.

The reciprocal to Spam chat from a couple weeks back, I guess!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Finding and drinking the traditional local booze that is actually good is cheating.

That said, I do it here in China with this plum-pomelo mijiu that I found. Great stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My brother worked with some Chinese people years back, and they all went completely bonkers for Koskenkorva and Leijona, and bought shitloads of them to take home.

I went to China later and tried their booze and realized why.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I keep buying the FIL really nice booze cuz that's his thing, he likes booze.

But every loving time he's like "oh it's too weak" just cuz it's not loving 60% paint thinner baijiu

I got some bottles of 192 proof I use for not drinking because it's garbage lying around, but apparently I'm not allowed to gift him any of that because "that's a bad idea" and "he doesn't need to be more drunk"

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember I was in QingDao and reading a little tourist pamphlet. The English part was something like "we are very proud of our beer tradition. We know the beer is bad but we are trying to improve, so please be kind and don't say anything mean to the tour guide." I really wish I had kept it, it was hilarious. For the record I don't mind QingDao beer but I also have terrible taste.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Sojus good y'all just have the pallette of a person with poo poo taste buds :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

the pallette of a person with poo poo taste buds :colbert:

turn on you're monitor

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Nice Van My Man posted:

I remember I was in QingDao and reading a little tourist pamphlet. The English part was something like "we are very proud of our beer tradition. We know the beer is bad but we are trying to improve, so please be kind and don't say anything mean to the tour guide." I really wish I had kept it, it was hilarious. For the record I don't mind QingDao beer but I also have terrible taste.

Qingdao does actually have decent beer.
Not "destination beer", but it's still nice.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nice Van My Man posted:

Tsingtao is perfectly decent cheap beer to eat with takeout.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eating beer. Is frozen

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tsingtao is perfectly decent cheap beer to eat with takeout.

Yeah and also good on a muggy/warm day, similar to Tiger.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I dunno what baiji or soji taste like but if they're like sake I'd probably like them.

I love sake with an order of nigiri covered in those slices of ginger.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They are more akin to gasoline than sake.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McGavin posted:

They are more akin to gasoline than sake.

Leaded gasoline then unleaded.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

turn on you're monitor

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

an order of nigiri covered in those slices of ginger.

wtf

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I prefer my korean wine to be made from poop!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Do they not serve pickled ginger with sushi where you are?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
soju is just the next stage of huffing aerosols, it's just drinking watered down acetone, occasionally with cheap artificial flavorings

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I prefer my sake to be made from shrine maiden spit.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I dunno what baiji or soji taste like but if they're like sake I'd probably like them.

I love sake with an order of nigiri covered in those slices of ginger.

They're not like sake. Sake is good. The worst sake is better than the best soju or baijiu.

I'm pretty convinced the mass consumption of soju is a symptom of mental illness in Korea. When you have a 70 hour work week and are under the constant scrutiny/control of your elders, you end up with self-harming tendencies. Sure you could drink something that tastes good and makes you feel good, but you don't deserve nice things. You deserve to be punished. After all, your family thinks so. Society thinks so. Are you so arrogant that think you know better than them?

Not sure what's up with baijiu though, poo poo tastes like paint remover infused with rotten wood. Pretty sure the Chinese are just trolling us with this one.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ideally you use it as a refresher between delightful chunks of sea-flesh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Anyone in China right now - buy this and tell me what it's like:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/dimi/status/1520551021810003969?s=21&t=Uc552BifgkGFF5XLgDJ6cw

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah but I don't put it on the nigiri.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah but I don't put it on the nigiri.

It's very efficient that way if you chew the sushi with only one bite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>