Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm gonna bet that the "NOTHING" is actually a (bad) joke and is actually indeed "Something"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Things not on the road map. Chorfs.
Things on the road map. Champions.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am fine with the Roadmap.
Same, I mean what is the alternative to being fine with the roadmap?

Pitching a fit, screaming into the void and getting mad?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Xae posted:

Unlike you my rage knows no bounds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Xae posted:

Making a big show about never trusting CA again (and then coming back when IE releases)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

How's the streamer union coming

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

DaysBefore posted:

How's the streamer union coming

*tapping forehead* your steamers can't unionize if the game they steam dies

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

DaysBefore posted:

Given CA's habit of winks and nudges I'm gonna believe that the awkward "Nothing." in June is actually the release of the Evil Arghys (Chorfs obvs). I'm sure I'm wrong but whatever.

This was my initial impression as well, and what I would expect if the game was in a better place. As it stands, the game is in such a dire state that I can't imagine CA successfully pulling off a full fledged race DLC release while simultaneously fixing all the poo poo they're trying to fix AND getting Immortal Empires to a beta ready state.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm mostly just curious what's going on at CA if they have one team releasing a buggy mess with fundamental gameplay breaking down and then having the second team coming in to spend the better part of a year just putting out fires.

Especially when they already had this exact same scenario happen on the last game's release and apparently learnt no lessons from that experience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly the first big update fixed a lot, I feel like people where doing the same thing back when II came out.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly the first big update fixed a lot, I feel like people where doing the same thing back when II came out.

I agree, but the fixed game is bad. So it’s kind of a wash.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I really hope they go all out with the IE map, because if it doesn't include the full landmass of the vortex map, you'll be losing that part of WH2 forever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh yes, absolutely. Lot of "WH1 had more support than this and launched better" revisionist poo poo, tale as old as time when it comes to Total War. The first major patch was aimed towards fixing pursuit unit behavior. Even ME launching relatively quick was tainted by the fact that it had absolutely horrendous end turn performance for years and a pre-DLC Norsca that took most of a year to fix.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Reddit before today: "WHERE ROADMAP! RAEG!"

Reddit after today: "ROADMAP INSUFFICIENT! RAEG!"

I mean... at least we have some info now?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

For sure, I'm glad the game is still being worked on and we now have a rough date for IE. I already got my money's worth with 40 hours of gameplay across two campaigns, I can wait a few months for Immortal Empires.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ojetor posted:

For sure, I'm glad the game is still being worked on and we now have a rough date for IE. I already got my money's worth with 40 hours of gameplay across two campaigns, I can wait a few months for Immortal Empires.

Yeah i've got 100. I'm more than fine with what I go out of this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gonkish posted:

Besides normal internet gamer rage, I think the reason behind this is that despite all the fury about TWW3's poo poo launch, people were broadly optimistic about it. Like "man the game sucks now but IE is a month or two out and everything will be fine" was probably a prevailing opinion under the surface. I really don't think a lot of people assumed that the state of things was this bad and that they were this far behind, and it being admitted got the mob extremely riled up.

As of yesterday there were a lot of extremely optimistic posts defending CA about how everything would be well and how you had to be crazy to assume that IE might be delayed that long, so now that optimism turned sour.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Immortal Empires isn't gonna have the short turn times and all the factions are gonna have the earliest iteration of their mechanics

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit have no idea why people were expecting IE to be soon when even before release CA had already warned that it was going to take a long, long while. Hell, it coming out this year is the surprise to me, I was expecting next year.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tbf it's in beta towards the end of the year, which in gamedev speak often means next year and they do say the road map may "shift"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I legit have no idea why people were expecting IE to be soon when even before release CA had already warned that it was going to take a long, long while. Hell, it coming out this year is the surprise to me, I was expecting next year.

People were expecting IE to be soon because ME was soon, and the hope/urgency only increased when Realms of Chaos went over like a lead balloon. "Well, RoC sucks rear end but IE will fix everything when it comes out in a month or two!" type stuff.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm mostly just curious what's going on at CA if they have one team releasing a buggy mess with fundamental gameplay breaking down and then having the second team coming in to spend the better part of a year just putting out fires.

Especially when they already had this exact same scenario happen on the last game's release and apparently learnt no lessons from that experience.

Companies really like to have implementation teams and maintenance teams separate for very dumb reasons. Its generally some dumb manager who thinks his team is too special to fix their own poo poo.

It leads to companies making the same mistakes over and over again because the guys doing the initial work never really understand their mistakes because they weren't forced to fix them.

toasterwarrior posted:

Making a big show about never trusting CA again (and then coming back when IE releases)

Interesting option, but it seems like making the decision to get angry and worked up over something you can't change is way too much :effort: for me.

Gonkish posted:

Reddit and most places where the video games are discussed online are proof that Gamer is the male form of Karen.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think people were mostly just expecting them to just take on what already existed and build on that with improvements, or at the very least not take close to a year to begin implementing the old content, so it's understandable they are salty.

in the end most people will come back with IE, but that would be easier to swallow if there also weren't a bunch of new gameplay redesigns that ended up being worse in most peoples eyes that may or may not be changed by then and the whole thing will leave a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths who didn't think they would be paying full price for early beta access.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think people were mostly just expecting them to just take on what already existed and build on that with improvements, or at the very least not take close to a year to begin implementing the old content, so it's understandable they are salty.

in the end most people will come back with IE, but that would be easier to swallow if there also weren't a bunch of new gameplay redesigns that ended up being worse in most peoples eyes that may or may not be changed by then and the whole thing will leave a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths who didn't think they would be paying full price for early beta access.

I honestly think the response to TWW3 would have been a lot more generally positive if it was released and marketed as early access rather than as a finished product, because the latter skyrocketed expectations based on it being the supposedly finished sequel to a game as solid as TWW2 ended up becoming.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Doesn't help that they rushed to get the game out a week before Elden Ring completely took over everything.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think a lot of people aren't thinking about what a massive undertaking IE is. It's basically an entire new game. Every single settlement needs a new map from scratch, as well as every single land battle map. The entire campaign map will be completely new as well. Every faction mechanic and campaign objective has to be integrated and balanced, before even touching faction and unit balance. It's an order of magnitude more work than porting the WH1 stuff to 2 was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It's funny that just changing the sounds of artillery makes them so much more meatier. I fought a battle with my 2 cathay armies with 4 artillery pieces against abuncha norse monkeys and the constant booms of my cannons and rocket batteries were so satisfying. I've definitely had 4-5 artillery piece battles with dawi but it never felt this fun.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Going back to WH2 got it all modded up and looking pretty good with reshade. It made a few differences stand out though: WH3 is much better looking, and I'm definitely sold on its campaign map visuals after going back. Battle maps also look at better with the lighting changes. UI is a mixed bag. TW3s is more slick in many respects but I like the old parchment look better than the red all over everything. However the green unit selection colour is way better than the old yellow. Performance in 3 is much worse, hopefully they can improve on that by the time IE comes out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dogstile posted:

Yeah i've got 100. I'm more than fine with what I go out of this.

Yeah me and my wife bought two copies so... yikes, should have waited for a sale. But it's not that big of a regret because I at least have confidence that sooner or later we'll be putting hundreds of hours in it. Honestly TW games always have poo poo launches. Medieval 2 is basically canonized at this point and people hated that poo poo when it was released. It made Pontus dad seem calm.

ZeusJupitar posted:

I'm going to wildly speculate that the Chaos Realms are integrated into IE somehow, either as a side objective or as the endgame crisis equivalent to the previous games chaos invasion, and they're trying to work out how to break the news gently.

I actually hope so. The art for them, as said, is really good. I want them to be around except... fun. I'm particularly disappointed in Tzeentch given lovecraftian bird god has been my most hyped faction since we got high elves. (hello arghy give the king's crown back plz)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 30, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it'd be a shame to not see the Realms in some fashion in IE. They're really pretty. I mean, I never ever want to go back to Tzeentch's loving maze, but I do want to fight on those maps.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It'd be easy enough to include the realms of chaos battle maps with events and quests in IE not to mention the southern and northern wastes could use em too. I'm honestly just pumped about bigger lustria and southlands because southlands in vortex was amazing.

What i don't get about CA though is they have a loving cash cow on their hands, they can invest in an absolutely massive team and churn out a DLC every month if they wanted too and people would buy it if they did it smartly. If they released a season pass system everyone would buy it because it's guaranteed that there would be something you'd want to buy. Throw in GW's struggling streaming service because why the gently caress not even if it's just a heavily discounted monthly for the streaming service i'd still buy the bundle. GW could become capitalist pig dogs and i'd lap that poo poo up but no they don't want my money apparently.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol I forgot GW has a streaming service now. Wtf is even on it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol I forgot GW has a streaming service now. Wtf is even on it?

Some shows, Battle Reports, Painting Guides, Lore Videos. Lots of old books and magazines, a mini you get for subscribing for a while, and the 40k and AoS apps.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Double Bill posted:

Blood pack in August, IE not even this year... even my most pessimistic estimates were way off. The skeleton crew has taken over the project already.

Here's to hoping the next TW is Medieval 3, and they don't gently caress it up.

Immortal Empire comes in August, see the IMMORTAL EMPIRES (BETA) bullet point. And Q4 has updates focused on Immortal Empires.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
On and off for the past few weeks there have been more people playing WH2 than the new game and now it's consistently getting more players than 3.

The total number of people playing TW:WH has dropped by over 40% since last year. Last year there were about 35000-38000 people playing on average every day for the whole year with a big spike up to 78000 for (I think) the Beastmen DLC. Now they're at under 20000 a day split fairly evenly between the two games.

What does that mean? I don't know but I like graphs.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Warhammer 3 just feels like less than the sum of its parts. On paper it sounds really cool, but it's just not that fun to play.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I still hope that they use the Realms as...nexus points for travel, at least? Put in some permanent rifts at key areas and let you enter/exit through the Realms. Keep the warnings of other LLs entering so you can gank them. Keep random AI spawning on you when you are in there. You have a reason to enter the Realms for rapid transit (maybe keep a few boons too like Khorne's weapons).

A few turns crossing the Chaos Realms to teleport with some attrition/battles en route seems fair and a bit better than just "Lol the LL insta-teleports". Also keeps the IE map from being so so huge so you can quickly move to other theaters without stepping on other factions' quick moves like the Worldroots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rabelais D posted:

Warhammer 3 just feels like less than the sum of its parts. On paper it sounds really cool, but it's just not that fun to play.

I might be the outlier in this thread, but I played hams2 less than 1 despite it being a better game and it very much looks like I'm going to play three less than 2. Even if they fix everything it's unlikely to be not enough to rekindle my interest.