Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

ogopogo posted:

I’m sorry I can’t stop this beef blend is too good

Don’t stop burgin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

ogopogo posted:

I’m sorry I can’t stop this beef blend is too good

Brisket + cheek sounds super tasty. I'm guessing it's pretty rich and fatty but that works pretty well for a good smash burger.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I burg'd at 5 Guys this weekend, hadn't burg'd in a LONG time. LTM, Ketchup, jalapenos, grilled onions. I would have taken a photo, but I immediately ate it instead. Thanks for the inspiration, thread!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I haven’t burged in a long time either. It’s always the buns, the store bought ones arent worth it and don’t keep well and I always forget to make my own buns until I’m starving and it seems like too much work.

current goals

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ror posted:

I haven’t burged in a long time either. It’s always the buns, the store bought ones arent worth it and don’t keep well and I always forget to make my own buns until I’m starving and it seems like too much work.

current goals

If you have an Aldi near you, they sell excellent brioche buns (seeded in a 4 pack or plain in a 6 pack) that freeze very well and are perfect for burgs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Been too long since I burged

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

iajanus posted:

Been too long since I burged

Good things come to those who wait, drat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So, if more fatty meat makes for a better burger, could you incorporate fat directly into the burger? Local stores sell frozen sheep fat - I'm not sure what you're even supposed to use it for, but can you grind it up along with your meat? Or chop it up really fine and include bits and pieces into your patty, at the ball stage? Same for goose fat that's currently in storage.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If it’s rendered already it’ll be useless, also sheep fat can have a strong smell that could be off putting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mmm, lanolin burger

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I would be interested to try a lean beef cut ground in with some goose fat to make a 80/20 or 70/30 burger. So give that a go and report back.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xander77 posted:

So, if more fatty meat makes for a better burger, could you incorporate fat directly into the burger? Local stores sell frozen sheep fat - I'm not sure what you're even supposed to use it for, but can you grind it up along with your meat? Or chop it up really fine and include bits and pieces into your patty, at the ball stage? Same for goose fat that's currently in storage.

I use rendered duck fat to roast vegetables. Could use sheep fat too I bet.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Torquemada posted:

If it’s rendered already it’ll be useless, also sheep fat can have a strong smell that could be off putting.
Rendered fat is melted out of meat \ fatty tissue when heated, right? I don't think that's it though it's fairly hard to get a good picture of the fat itself, which isn't hugely appetizing. I don't think it smells like much of anything.

The goose fat is rendered though. Why would it be useless?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Rendered fat is basically solid cooking oil. I cook with goose and duck fat semi-regularly, it’s a liquid at room temperature. To get fat into a burger I’d use the fat of the animal the burger was made from anyway. I suppose pork fat would be the easiest substitute, it’s very agreeable to cook with. Although you’re in Israel? Apologies if that’s not an option.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Although you’re in Israel? Apologies if that’s not an option.
Not an easily acquirable one, at least. Beef tallow is pretty freaking expensive, and apparently doesn't taste great?

The goose fat is frozen (doesn't really store well otherwise). I'll see how well that works out, and figure out some other use for the sheep fat, I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is there a reason why you can't just use a fatty cut of beef to begin with? it really seems like you are trying to artificially recreate cheap rear end 70/30 ground beef and i'm not sure why.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

is there a reason why you can't just use a fatty cut of beef to begin with? it really seems like you are trying to artificially recreate cheap rear end 70/30 ground beef and i'm not sure why.
Mostly because I have food (or edible components) that I'd rather find a use for than throw away.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
SmAsHmOdE

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like to chime in and say I feel using slightly crusty garlic bread as a bun is awesome and I’m surprised it isn’t more common for burgs and chicken sandwiches. Like I get garlic aioli is a condiment but the bun hits different.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

A place near here was doing that as a monthly special. Burger, onion, brisket and slaw on thick cut garlic bread.

Called it a Toast Malone. Pretty good. Messy as hell though.

This was the same place that served the WAP (wet rear end pork) a while back. That was pork like six ways and a whole loving kg.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

This was the same place that served the WAP (wet rear end pork) a while back. That was pork like six ways and a whole loving kg.

I like it

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Your lettuce is to the side, dressed, doing its own thing, which is exactly where it belongs. Beautiful. I will show this to my children

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Burgin for Easter

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Hello burger thread, my old friend.

This was stupid good. 80/20 patty, red onion jam, red wine sauce, horseradish mayo and St Agur blue cheese.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hello burger thread

Tonight I'm going to be trying sliders, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22FkI1r0uNk

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Finally got to try Milky Lane, got their basic double smash and a platter of fried cheese curds with baconnaise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like incredible food, but "Milky Lane" is a gross name

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

put the cheese curds on the burger

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Put the cheese curds on the fries, ey?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Ay lemme tell you where to put those cheese curds: the fuckin garbage!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Put cheese curds into my mouth

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

For reference they were excellent curds

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I ate a burger today for lunch, but forgot to take a picture - but it was pretty much spot-on from their promotional photo:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

iajanus posted:

For reference they were excellent curds

I was gonna say, those things look top notch.

Now I got the itch.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last nights burger

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Look at that jaunty top bun! Very energetic burg!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I burgd yesterday from cinco hombres, was v tasty

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GramCracker posted:

I burgd yesterday from cinco hombres, was v tasty

:hai:

People who hate on Five Guys are joyless souls, devoid of love in their life.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've always enjoyed Five Guys for when I want that sloppy, steamed-in-foil style of burg action. Mushrooms and sauces and poo poo spilling out the side.

My poops come out with little angry faces on them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I eat five guys twice a year and enjoy every bite.