Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Thicker bags don't tend to blow everywhere and are theoretically less impossible to recycle than thin poly bags if we bothered recycling plastic.

Some studies show we're not using them properly at all though, so from a plastic production and energy use perspective they may still be doing more harm than good in their present form/price/presentation.

know what i just noticed

gerry adams in your av is circa 1992 gerry adams but jeremy corbyn is circa 2017 jeremy corbyn :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
there is even more of a story going on there than i'd thought

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, like even without looking at statistics? I see way less plastic bags out in the wild than I did in the 00s.

It's because I've got all of them stuffed in a cupboard at home

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

there is even more of a story going on there than i'd thought
Corbyn travels through time to do terrorism while disguised as a legitimate political party and ogle at ladies sweater parts, unlike respectable conservatives and spectator journalists who just do that in public in 2022.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tesseraction posted:

To quote ol' Wiki:
was doing some googling before I got to this post & I can't find any precise dates or anything so can't be completely sure but it looks like it may (in finest Western tradition) have been shamelessly stolen from a queer woman of colour

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jaheale/status/1520078086259286017

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a millenia ago, when young men sent letters of congratulations to their favoured females. Now with twitter of course, things are quite different.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
when dick pics were polaroid :allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

was doing some googling before I got to this post & I can't find any precise dates or anything so can't be completely sure but it looks like it may (in finest Western tradition) have been shamelessly stolen from a queer woman of colour

Hard to say but they are both including in the variations section of the Pride flag wiki page.

The flag you linked only got an article in October 2021, which doesn't mean it's not legit but I'm guessing it's coincidental - the idea of "lines, but diagonal" isn't unique enough for me to cry foul.

That said white people steal from PoC a lot so I'm willing to harbour trust.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
One hosed some of the country, the other hosed all of it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jeherrin posted:

—what he's saying is 'hand over former USSR states so that Putin stops being a crybaby and making everyone nervous.'

It literally is exactly that, and I've read that take before, too, somewhere. I guess whenever someone thinks they need to print a token pro Vlad take, that one's the least objectionable one available?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

More explicitly pro-trans (amongst others)

I personally don't like the progress flag all that much. Adding the trans colours seems weird to me as the other colours don't represent any particular 'letter' before. And the brown and black bit but no representation for East Asians? To me is kind of more exclusive than the original.

Bbbuuuuutttttt the LGB Alliance loving hate it which hard counterbalances my silly concerns.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think this Russian State TV pundit ranting about Grate Britain may have provided a fantastic thread title

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What colour do you add to the pride flag to represent East Asians?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

keep punching joe posted:

You ask them?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jeherrin posted:

Public health in the UK has been a failure for decades. There’s the well-known ‘Glasgow effect’ (still not really understood afaik)

I'm from the highlands of Scotland and don't really like Glasgow or Edinburgh and will laugh at the stereotypical image of the drunk angry junkie Glaswegian or the 'up their own arse' Edinburgh mentality of calling a spade a trowel but I went to Glasgow a few weekends ago to visit a friend - one of the first thing we see 5 minutes off the bus is a McDonalds toilet door hanging by one hinge hiding a discarded bottle of buckfast and 2 cigarette butts in the latrine.

I love Scotland but if I never go those cities again I'll be happy

edit: lol i just remembered the last time we went to Edinburgh (pre-covid) there was a starbucks toilet which had been brutally clogged with what looked like 4 persons worth of toilet paper and keech (theres a good scottish word for you)

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 30, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

To be fair to those cities I have been in some pretty criminally rank toilets across the globe, often in otherwise completely charming locales.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Criminally rank toilets is a major contributing factor to not wanting to ever want to return to office work.

Three times a week "the meat man" visited the office in his little food van where a "little bit of bacon" for your pasta was over a pound of bacon. Afternoons on those days... jesus christ.

zbn
May 11, 2009

Borrovan posted:

I think the New Pride Flag was a response to/attempt at improving the Progress Pride Flag: https://www.newprideflag.com/mission/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

Criminally rank toilets is a major contributing factor to not wanting to ever want to return to office work.

Three times a week "the meat man" visited the office in his little food van where a "little bit of bacon" for your pasta was over a pound of bacon. Afternoons on those days... jesus christ.

That’s an evocative post.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Dumb question, has anyone ever bought an electric duster for their PC? I really hate buying the propellant ones as they always cost a shitload and never last, but the electric ones seem to be like £50?!

Also, same question, sit up pillows for bed! I am old and poo poo and sitting in bed wrecks my everything, but I like bed as it usually has cats and is a calm room that contains my partner who I like being around.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mebh posted:

Dumb question, has anyone ever bought an electric duster for their PC? I really hate buying the propellant ones as they always cost a shitload and never last, but the electric ones seem to be like £50?!

Also, same question, sit up pillows for bed! I am old and poo poo and sitting in bed wrecks my everything, but I like bed as it usually has cats and is a calm room that contains my partner who I like being around.

Yeah I have one. It blasts air a lot more violently than a standard air canister but isn't as effective at actually taking off dust. I think the blast isn't as concentrated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buy more pillows and arrange them into a fortress like you are in one of them old timey harems or something. There is nothing stopping you from owning as many pillows as you like once you're an adult.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

'Criminally rank toilets' is part of the Guardian job description.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

i read this post and i was sure "the meat man" was going to be a contributing factor to the criminally rank toilets

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Mebh posted:

As a full time computer fondler I got one of the CompuCleaner air blowers. Works very well for blasting great plumes of dust out of old office PCs and for clearing out inaccessible airways in running servers etc. Doesn't get used that often as I more typically hoover out dust and fluff with a service hoover but it's great for those times when nothing else works and it's always at 100% power and non-condensing. Not sure if I'd stump up 50quid for one for myself but if you're using canisters a lot then it's a better long term atlernative.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
gently caress it’s so nice out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah

Had to close the curtains to stop the sun shining on my TV

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

Yeah I have one. It blasts air a lot more violently than a standard air canister but isn't as effective at actually taking off dust. I think the blast isn't as concentrated.

Mine came with attachments to narrow the stream, giving it more force but i can't get it as close to components as the canned air.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I got one of those Numi portable blowers on offer and it's pretty good but they're like £70 now and you might as well get an actual air compressor with an attachment set for not much more unless you're going to need to be carrying it around a lot.

It's better than the blower hose on a shop vac though, and fits in a coat pocket.

Sakurazuka posted:

Had to close the curtains to stop the sun shining on my TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ir9HC9vYg

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
today it is a very rainy day here, today

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Was going to vote Greens in the local Labour/Greens marginal up until I read the Green campaign leaflet and it was just the worst, purest, most NIMBY poo poo imaginable: tackling antisocial behaviour, rough sleeping, establishing neighbourhood watch with street representatives; with their one shoutout to Labour - that they will block Labour-supported plans for high-density residential development in out wonderful family-oriented area - doing more to get me to vote Labour than anything Keith has said or done since becoming leader.

Valiant effort by the Green candidate to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I must say.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 30, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Buy more pillows and arrange them into a fortress like you are in one of them old timey harems or something. There is nothing stopping you from owning as many pillows as you like once you're an adult.

It is this, I have like half a dozen and 3 duvets. Blanket fort that poo poo up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also get some king size but thin blankets, I have two and I just drag them around and live in them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Valiant effort by the Green candidate to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I must say.
English Greens seem consistently like one incident of seeing a non-Anglo person throwing a crisp packet out of a car window away from becoming full eco-fash.

Scottish Greens need to fight them in a car park.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are they as nonce-ey as german greens

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Private Speech posted:

tackling antisocial behaviour, rough sleeping, establishing neighbourhood watch with street representatives;

This is Labour policy too btw except Lab want police hubs on every corner too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lungboy posted:

This is Labour policy too btw except Lab want police hubs on every corner too.

TBH I care more about affordable housing than the policing bits, but at least Labour had some other policies there as well; libraries, care for the most vulnerable, etc.

Just for any avoidance of doubt, here is an accompanying quote from 'local supporter' - "I am disappointed by the Council's focus on development. I want a party that recognises the need for affordable homes, but not at the expense of growth that will spoil our lives. The Greens are good at challenging planning applications and highlighting the concerns of local residents. I'm sticking with them!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bump_fn posted:

gently caress it’s so nice out

Yep, just having a beer in the sun right now, Bristol's back in it's normal sunny Saturday mode, where the whole city centre is like a chilled, low-level music festival :cheers: