Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Do people find overcooked beef jerky sexy?

You might be surprised by the answer to that

https://twitter.com/3103mas/status/1517852834402045952
hell of a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
dabi is hot

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He’s a little too hot now I’d say

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shere posted:

It is absolutely nuts that the entire trajectory of what wound up being a decade-long story was altered by people not sending in some loving postcards or whatever.

The character poll results alone should disqualify reader opinions on anything.

It's ultra common in Jump. Characters can live or die based on their ranks in the popularity polls.

I mean, some authors will also have a popularity poll to make a one page comic about a character and instead mostly make it about the winner's tall and busty drunk senior at work, but that's a rarer move. Usually, popularity polls help determine who gets the spotlight.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's Bleach all over again, incredible. :magical:

If anything Bleach spending the last four years of its life absolutely tanking in the ratings probably has some effect on the editors being particularly heavy-handed with MHA.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, the first year or two of a Jump series' run is basically desperately clawing and scratching against the ratings so you don't get cancelled. Seems once you get into the third year, you're pretty set.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Imagine Togashi coming back with a cyber spine to finish Hunter x Hunter for real and being told he has to cancel the current arc to write something light with non threatening bishonens to appease fujos lol

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nonexistence posted:

Imagine Togashi coming back with a cyber spine to finish Hunter x Hunter for real and being told he has to cancel the current arc to write something light with non threatening bishonens to appease fujos lol

Togashi's contract apparently says that they can't make him do anything.

Hori meanwhile has had what three canceled series before, and MHA is the first to really take off, I can get deciding to be careful when advised on it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Editors generally give advice, not orders. Sometimes it's strongly worded advice, but as long as it doesn't violate Jump policy, the writer gets the final word.

But as said, Hori'd been cancelled in Jump multiple times before, with neither of his previous attempts lasting a year. Assuming he had a veteran editor, he wasn't in a position to ignore suggestions that might help keep the manga going.

Considering how the net result is one of the best selling manga of all time, with over 2 million sales per volume on average, I think it was probably the right call.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1520246508662140928

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

If anything Bleach spending the last four years of its life absolutely tanking in the ratings probably has some effect on the editors being particularly heavy-handed with MHA.

One of the big issues in Bleach had the exact same cause: the Shinigami Captains dominated the popularity pools, so the editors forced Kubo to shoehorn them into every arc, despite it usually making zero sense for them to be there. The whole "I intended to do *insert actually interesting and cool plot development* here, but the editors forced me to do something different based on popularity pools, so oh well" is eerily similar.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

One of the big issues in Bleach had the exact same cause: the Shinigami Captains dominated the popularity pools, so the editors forced Kubo to shoehorn them into every arc, despite it usually making zero sense for them to be there. The whole "I intended to do *insert actually interesting and cool plot development* here, but the editors forced me to do something different based on popularity pools, so oh well" is eerily similar.

This sounds made up. It's not like he had a popular young Captain character reveal that his ultimate weakness, harped on throughout the story, doesn't actually kill him, but instead turns him into a super hot man who is ridiculously powerful and...

Oh. Never mind.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

I miss when all the weirdo townies in Bleach were being set up to join the squad/goofy ghost world poo poo. Tatsuki should have been out there kick boxing monsters with the rest of the squad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the first year or two of a Jump series' run is basically desperately clawing and scratching against the ratings so you don't get cancelled. Seems once you get into the third year, you're pretty set.

Until a new editor tells you your series needs a villain and you add one and it goes to poo poo

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember Kubo talking about a year of Chad that never happened

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'd say that shoehorning the captains into every arc was meant to dissuade Kubo from doing his usual "I've written myself into a corner and need to get out" maneuver of introducing more random new characters that don't really do anything, but lol at the Sternritters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I'd say that shoehorning the captains into every arc was meant to dissuade Kubo from doing his usual "I've written myself into a corner and need to get out" maneuver of introducing more random new characters that don't really do anything, but lol at the Sternritters.

"Alright, Kubo, you're gonna be doing a limited run for Burn the Witch, only four chapters for now. Make them count."

"Here are fourteen characters and one is a Nazi."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

"Alright, Kubo, you're gonna be doing a limited run for Burn the Witch, only four chapters for now. Make them count."

"Here are fourteen characters and one is a Nazi."

Just British Things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Literally cackled when realizing that Kubo cannot help having A Council Of Like Twelve Dudes. It's like Hidetaka Miyazaki and poison swamps.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Kubo needs to do a Artist/Writer collab for his next project so he can just make characters in fashionable outfits to his heart's desire.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Nephthys posted:

Absolutely, he's like crack for the fujioshi's who are into edgy goth boys, possibly the edgiest goth boy in the history of manga.

This is Bleach erasure. Ulquiorra was a sad and edgy enough goth boy to sate a Fujoshi for a lifetime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kubo needs to do a Artist/Writer collab for his next project so he can just make characters in fashionable outfits to his heart's desire.

This is what Sakura Wars was set to be before Sega hosed up and made a bad gacha game

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Wollawolla posted:

This is Bleach erasure. Ulquiorra was a sad and edgy enough goth boy to sate a Fujoshi for a lifetime.

Bleach deserves erasure. :colbert:

Ulquiorra was gothy, yeah, but Dabi is edgier. The dude stapled his skin on and is on track to immolating himself into a burning skeleton with daddy issues if he keeps this up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabi really said "have you been reading Vigilantes? Wanna see me do that again?"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vinylshadow posted:

Dabi really said "have you been reading Vigilantes? Wanna see me do that again?"

Maybe this time it'll only be one transformation into a burnt crisp.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Dabis data book entry mention he smells bad which has triggered his fangirls because "it's in character as hawks he doesn't know poo poo!" Because how could the zombie with burnt flesh smell terrible?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Honestly, the MHA fanbase scares me. There is an incredibly weird level of attachment to the Todoroki discourse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rip Caleb Cook

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I forget why they ran him off

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

hatty posted:

I forget why they ran him off

HES CLEARLY BIASED AGAINST ENDEAVOUR AND ALTERING THE TEXT TO- STUPID poo poo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Onmi posted:

Dabis data book entry mention he smells bad which has triggered his fangirls because "it's in character as hawks he doesn't know poo poo!" Because how could the zombie with burnt flesh smell terrible?

Also taking into account his personality there is no goddamn way that Dabi bathes.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
https://twitter.com/cdcubed/status/1361372396486160384?s=21&t=bvZDloG5ITbfrxuhYSoISQ

Some line about Endeavor got changed between him submitting the raw script and the official release. Crazy people threatened him and tried to get him fired.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Also taking into account his personality there is no goddamn way that Dabi bathes.

They're legit like "nooo he must immaculately bathe to stop his wounds being infected. He probably smells like a fine cigar! My traumatised fire.man couldn't possibly be stinky! Also his quirk isn't blue flame it's from hawks perspective he doesn't know poo poo and he's biased to endeavour"

They don't want to imagine stinky zombie man loving them or the boy of their choice.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dabi probably burned his dick off a while ago

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'm more surprised that Dabi still has hair at this point. You'd think it would have all burned away by now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

He's been loving up almost every operation but nobody can smell him coming? The walking evil burning anime convention can't be tracked by his B.O. down the block?

God, get your poo poo together Hero Society.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

I'm more surprised that Dabi still has hair at this point. You'd think it would have all burned away by now.

He doesn't bathe but he meticulously maintained his hair for his entire life specifically for that reveal moment where he dumped the dye remover on his head to own his dad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kanos posted:

He doesn't bathe but he meticulously maintained his hair for his entire life specifically for that reveal moment where he dumped the dye remover on his head to own his dad.

I maintain that it would be much better if Dabi interrupted his evil laugh after that moment to scream bloody murder because the dye remover got into his burn wounds.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I wouldn't think he smells like BO or anything though, since he probably doesn't have any working sweat glands. Probably musty instead of musky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dabi can't smell bad because if he did then everyone would band together and force him to take a bath. Deku smelled back and when that happened he was forced into a bath. Thus Dabi can't smell bad.