Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I heard seasons 6 and 7 were bad, even from longtime fans of the show so it seems like it was a mercy kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

WhiteHowler posted:

Conan moved to TBS with all the buzz and momentum in the world. It would be the silver lining of getting hosed over by NBC -- Conan had the power to do literally anything, and most of us expected something new and novel and spectacular.

Then he... kept the decades-old Tonight Show format: monologue -> comedy bit -> guest -> guest -> musician/comedian -> credits.

I watched for the first two weeks, and I caught a few of the "Conan Without Borders" specials, but otherwise I don't think I tuned into the TBS show again until his final week of episodes.

He dead. But still funnier than Jimmy Fallon.

The Late Late Show 2022 starring Craig Ferguson?

Edit: Really though, I don't think it would work today. I feel like any broadcast network would consider a quality talk show with modest but steady ratings a failure if it's not getting "Carpool Karaoke" levels of meme-ing and engagement.

craigs ’s ’beads’ thing with geoff is one of the funniest things on any late night show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This has to mean the upcoming 9th season of "The Flash" has to be the last one, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bull3964 posted:

This has to mean the upcoming 9th season of "The Flash" has to be the last one, right?

They had to get a new contract for Grant Gustin so most likely yeah.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Please just move Superman & Lois to HBOmax. Way more people will start watching it.

Slow Horses wrapped tonight...and showed a trailer for the second season. Apparently its already been shot!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Please just move Superman & Lois to HBOmax. Way more people will start watching it.

I’ve seen a few min of that show here and there and it’s like pretty bad.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve seen a few min of that show here and there and it’s like pretty bad.

More like Superbad and Lois Lame, amirite?

Just kidding. I haven't seen the show but I've heard good things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m kinda wowed that a show aired (presumably) during prime time on a ‘major’ OTA network for 7 seasons that I’ve never heard of.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
That's a hell of a way to judge a show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not necessarily judging it by that, just kinda shocked.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yea the second season of Undone was fantastic. I don’t think it’s as funny as the first, but it’s more emotionally charged I believe. Extremely moving.

So happy it got a second season. I’m totally fine with this being the end though. Sixteen episodes of nearly perfect TV is a great legacy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Slow Horses wrapped tonight...and showed a trailer for the second season. Apparently its already been shot!

Season one was great. Hopefully not too long of a wait for season 2.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have seen some people throw out Ron Funchess as a James Corden replacement and you know what, I like that idea.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Disposable Scud posted:

I dropped it during season two, the two kids were just super whiny and annoying all the time. Also, while the Superman stuff was mostly good, the choice to have him fight kryptonians both seasons was just a bad idea, and made for boring tv.
Not to mention that the Lex Luthor/Doomsday misdirects were really dumb gimmicks, that only serve to annoy fans.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, season one of Undone did way less for me than it did everyone else, but waiting for the shoe to drop in the second season premier is torture. Really good

This move between seasons really reminds me of what The OA did with its second season -- it's a sequel, rather than a continuation, but it develops and expands on a lot of the themes from the first, while also sacrificing (some) of the ambiguity.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not necessarily judging it by that, just kinda shocked.

Sorry I meant saying a show is bad because you see bits and pieces.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Started a free trial of Apple+ tonight for baseball, was in a lousy mood and just feeling icky, turned on Ted Lasso, feeling better and loving this guy.

Man. I wasn't sure when I started it and was like "Oh, its one of those kind of mean, depressing British comedies? Nevermind." And then it turns out its one of those but its a big goofy muppet invading it and just making all the jerks grow their hearts with his unrelenting decency? That's the stuff.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh poo poo season 2 of Undone was absolutely worth the wait. I wasn't sure how they would resolve the way they ended the first season but all of the Winograds having timey-wimey powers was a good way to do it

final episode spoilers that they managed to wrap it back around to Alma accepting her reality was nice. While it was fun to explore generational trauma, there was something about it slamming back into reality and the fact that Alma needs help from others and she is finally accepting it :therapy:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Started a free trial of Apple+ tonight for baseball, was in a lousy mood and just feeling icky, turned on Ted Lasso, feeling better and loving this guy.

Man. I wasn't sure when I started it and was like "Oh, its one of those kind of mean, depressing British comedies? Nevermind." And then it turns out its one of those but its a big goofy muppet invading it and just making all the jerks grow their hearts with his unrelenting decency? That's the stuff.

Now for the totally opposite mood, you get to watch Severance!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's why I probably won't bother with that. Not my vibe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But it's directed/produced by comedian Ben Stiller and stars comedian Adam Scott

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Hughmoris posted:

How is the final season of Mr. Money Manager aka Ozark?

Curious about this too, surprised there’s no discussion yet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mu Zeta posted:

But it's directed/produced by comedian Ben Stiller and stars comedian Adam Scott

And god drat does it have some beautiful and intricate world design.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love that 1975-1995 architectural aesthetic where everything looks like the weird bank your mom took you to all the time when you were a kid. Cassette futurism?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

boquiabierta posted:

Curious about this too, surprised there’s no discussion yet

There’s so many other things that came out over the past few days I wanna watch first but I’ll get to it. I hope they just go wild and burn it all down.

Watching Under the Banner of Heaven now, the Andrew Garfield Mormon detective thing. Bunch of bloody weirdos them Mormons are

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Hughmoris posted:

It is a pretty good show; but I had to bow out after binging the two seasons during the pandemic. Something about that blue color filter making everything depressing started to really wear at my soul, or god hole or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I AM GRANDO posted:

I love that 1975-1995 architectural aesthetic where everything looks like the weird bank your mom took you to all the time when you were a kid. Cassette futurism?

This sure was a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs_Holmdel_Complex

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Corporate modernism

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hughmoris posted:

They make use of a flash forward in the season premiere that gives plot armor to 60% of the main cast for no reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah it’s so good.

Absolutely love the show both seasons are great.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My local supermarket added Del Shannon's "My Little Runaway" to their music playlist and I heard it both times I went this week and I have come to realize that Dexter has ruined this song for me. All I can see when I hear the song is Clancy Brown dancing around and trapping ladies in his basement.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

They make use of a flash forward in the season premiere that gives plot armor to 60% of the main cast for no reason.

Holy moly I am starting to really dislike that method of storytelling. I'm not a Rick and Morty fan but a quote on this very topic stuck with me: "I'm not a huge fan of that whole '3 weeks earlier' teaser thing. We should start our story where it begins, not start them where they get interesting."

The pilot of Outer Range had the same thing. :mad:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
In medias res drives me absolutely nuts.

Tokyo Vice had it too!

I guess it's the natural evolution of the "first 5 seconds of the trailer" thing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/that-70s-show-original-stars-close-deal-to-return-for-netflix-sequel-1235138322/
Everyone is coming back for That 90s Show. Well, not, you know.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nwin posted:

Holy gently caress the first episode of the fourth season of Mayans is loving HORRIBLE.

Gonna need some dets

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Gonna need some dets

Dutch escalated from killing his cat to killing people. stare into the abyss, use devils tool become his instrument

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

It's good (part 1 came out a few months ago). I've watched the first 3 episodes of part 2 and the complications are escalating like crazy. Wendy's ability to make ultra-drastic decisions without consulting Marty and railroading him on the spot is staggering.

Re: the flash Forward plot armour thing. The plot armour I don't mind (are they really gonna kill off any of the four main family members before the last couple of episodes anyway), but the gimmick does piss me off, especially when it was done at the start of part 1.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shageletic posted:

Gonna need some dets

Not sure if you’ve seen previous seasons so spoilers:

Season 3 ended with the other Mayans from Yuma sieging war on bishops crew in Santo padre. Season 4 starts with the same battle and the entire episode is this long drawn out “war” which is loving horrible.

From nearly the beginning bishops crew is saying they are low on ammo, then the horrible acting comes in and one minute they are saying how they’ll win it and then the next they’re being overtaken.

There’s maybe 10 Mayans from santo padre fighting but 100 of the Mayans from Yuma, so they’re completely outnumbered but somehow they act like their clubhouse is a loving impenetrable fortress and no one thinks to move a car near the wall or something. Then all of a sudden EZ tells everyone to be quiet and there’s a poo poo ton of enemies on the roof, but then EZ yells that he’ll come out and surrender.

So he comes out, and all the Yuma Mayans are just standing there. Makes you think Why they didn’t storm the loving place.

Then once EZ comes out all the other Mayans come out and surrender.

Now you’ve got the president of Yuma looking like Negan from walking dead-all of the santo padre guys are on their knees outside and I’m waiting for him to break out a baseball bat.

But just as that’s about to happen and EZ is supposed to get shot, Alvarez comes storming in shouting how it’s his club.

Scene.

Oh and for how much Bishop is supposed to be this great leader he literally tells everyone “I don’t know” when they ask him what to do. So EZ is pretty much running the show and the whole tactics thing. All Bishop does is yell at some chick who is crying and then she runs outside and gets shot anyways.

The acting is just loving horrible and the first episode is timed so loving bad with its pacing. It could have been done in like ten minutes but they drug it out. I ended up just hate watching it to see wtf.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even as somebody who loved all 3 seasons of the original I really don't know WHY they would make this. I mean....
hurried whispering
They made HOW MANY SEASONS!?!? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I seem to recall only the final season being not great. Topher Grace was off doing other things, Kelso becoming a cop feels really weird now