Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's been a minute since a really good ff flick dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah. V/H/S/94 was all right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The only zombie movies I liked from the past...decade or so was Train to Busan and the Sadness.

There were a few good ones here and there, like The Battery, the Crazies 2010, and Snyder's Dawn.

I agree though the genre needs a break. Of all those the Sadness is the only one that felt new and refreshing rather than just "Yeah a p good zombie movie but nothing new"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah and even with the Sadness you really have to stretch the definition of zombie. Like, I blame 28 Days Later for really stretching what "zombie" means in popular culture.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Man, Snyder's version of dawn is almost old enough to vote.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They should make a zombie movie where the zombies don't do anything. They get up, maybe shamble around, but they don't attack anyone because why would they. It should be a drama about how hosed up it would be if you saw your dead gramma shuffling down the street every day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man, Snyder's version of dawn is almost old enough to vote.

gently caress it's almost 20 years old, and I remember seeing it in theaters

It still whips rear end

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Roadside Picnic has zombies but they just go home and shamble about there, and then sometimes they scream into the night. They pretty much exist to emotionally torture the living.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

They should make a zombie movie where the zombies don't do anything. They get up, maybe shamble around, but they don't attack anyone because why would they. It should be a drama about how hosed up it would be if you saw your dead gramma shuffling down the street every day.

I live near methadone mile, this is just walkin outside for me lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I think there's a niche for a zombie horror that's just pure mental and existential horror, no action, no "brrraaaiiins", just pure existential terror

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's basically It Comes At Night.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

That's basically It Comes At Night.

Immediately added to my watch list thanks bud

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also it's not good but Escape From Tomorrow is a little like that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

It's a slow burn but excellent. One of my fav movies A24 has released. Lmk what you think!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Count Thrashula posted:

gently caress it's almost 20 years old, and I remember seeing it in theaters

It still whips rear end

I don't know about that, but it's definitely far better than I expected it to be and better than it really had any right to be.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Romero's Dawn is a GREAT movie.

Snyder's Dawn is a FUN movie.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah I think there's a niche for a zombie horror that's just pure mental and existential horror, no action, no "brrraaaiiins", just pure existential terror

I'm stretching a bit, but it seems interesting to say: the Birds. The end hammers in the existential part.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It Comes at Night didn't entirely work for me but it's an impressive film, it's remarkably claustrophobic and does a lot of fun stuff with aspect ratios

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Not a movie, but there's a book called Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist that's mostly just about people dealing with their dead relatives coming back. It follows three sets of people, each having lost their loved one a different amount of time ago.
It's really good, even if it falls apart a bit at the end.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I cannot for the life of me remember the title but I read a kinda comedy book once and there was a subplot about zombies coming to life but then being just stuck in their coffins 6 feet underground.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Girl With All The Gifts hosed me up hard, but I think that has a lot to do with institutional cruelty towards children being super triggering for me. It's a fantastic take on a lot of standard zombie movie stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

Girl With All The Gifts hosed me up hard, but I think that has a lot to do with institutional cruelty towards children being super triggering for me. It's a fantastic take on a lot of standard zombie movie stuff.

That is actually the only movie I ever had to turn off bc it got to me. Literally. As a survivor of the troubled teen industry that one was just tough. Fantastically made but drat it hit hard.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kvlt! posted:

That is actually the only movie I ever had to turn off bc it got to me. Literally. As a survivor of the troubled teen industry that one was just tough. Fantastically made but drat it hit hard.

It's the one horror movie that my fiancee really wanted me to watch during the challenge and in the middle of it I was like "this is very good but I am never watching it again."

It does a fantastic job of addressing the central problem with of a lot of zombie media, where anyone who has an emotional reaction to the situation is weak and you can do whatever you want to a zombified person. The fact that all of these children are still human when not under stressful conditions means that every bullet fired into them isn't just a tally, it's a human being.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 30, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jedit posted:

I don't know about that, but it's definitely far better than I expected it to be and better than it really had any right to be.

Like it or not, the opening of Dawn 2004 is still one of my all time favorite openings of a horror movie. Goddam the use of Johnny Cash was perfect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven’t liked Snyder’s Dawn on rewatches but it’s an interesting kind of thing I think. Because James Gunn’s style is so known now and Snyder’s style is so know you can watch that film and really see how a Gunn script changes entirely in tone when done by Snyder.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also it's not good but Escape From Tomorrow is a little like that

I’m kinda mad this is the Disney movie that got through. I could totally do some cool stuff in Disney tbh. Much cooler than “Disney has secret nasty princess sex workers!!! And a secret base!!! Oh man I wanna gently caress them teens! Now I’m making GBS threads so much!!”

Lol.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Romero's Dawn is a GREAT movie.

Snyder's Dawn is a FUN movie.

As always, I agree with kvlt

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

As always, I agree with kvlt

and as always my friend, you are a Kvlt! certified non-poser!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

As a huge A Nero Wolfe Mystery fan, I'll always have a soft spot for Snyder's Dawn casting Boyd Banks and RD Reid.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Disney has secret nasty princess sex workers!!! And a secret base!!! Oh man I wanna gently caress them teens! Now I’m making GBS threads so much!!

Updating my Plex description of the movie to just this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

Roadside Picnic has zombies but they just go home and shamble about there, and then sometimes they scream into the night. They pretty much exist to emotionally torture the living.

Oh dang, I totally missed that Rosewater totally cribbed its style of zombie from Roadside Picnic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Updating my Plex description of the movie to just this.

Lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol diary of the dead and survival of the dead exist

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

+1 It Comes At Night that I also saw recommended earlier in the thread. I didn't think about it at the time but 'a zombie movie without the zombies' is basically the perfect elevator pitch for it.

e:

Lumbermouth posted:

The wiki plot summary makes it sound like The Last of Us, right down to the fungal infection and having to get a young macguffin girl from point A to B. Is this just The Last of Us: The Movie?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 30, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I’m kinda mad this is the Disney movie that got through. I could totally do some cool stuff in Disney tbh. Much cooler than “Disney has secret nasty princess sex workers!!! And a secret base!!! Oh man I wanna gently caress them teens! Now I’m making GBS threads so much!!”

Lol.
I had an ex-girlfriend who worked as a cast member and one of the SECRET things that she told me is that is new cast members have to stand behind a giant one way mirror looking out onto the crowds and just smile and wave in silence for five minutes. And I feel like that is genuinely creepier than anything in Escape from Tomorrow.

Disney has such a weird history to mine, and they go for such a superficial understanding of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What the

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's been a minute since a really good ff flick dropped
It's probably my favorite subgenre. The format does a lot to make me feel invested in even a middling found footage movie, and when one connects it really hits hard.

The last pleasant surprise for me was Host (the 2020 movie). Short, to the point, with some great scares.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Takes No Damage posted:

The wiki plot summary makes it sound like The Last of Us, right down to the fungal infection and having to get a young macguffin girl from point A to B. Is this just The Last of Us: The Movie?

No. The novel was published after The Last of Us came out, but it's expanded from a short story written before. It was just steam time for the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Watching The Happiness of the Katakuris and this moment feels instantly iconic.