Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Cots generally only fit well in bigger car camping tents, nothing intended for backpacking. They need a decent height and length to accommodate a traditional cot. The smaller backpacking cots might help with that but backpacking tents are generally very small/low and intended for people on their backs on the ground.

If you want a sleeping pad and you want to be comfortable, you almost always need a self inflating foam or inflatable air pad. Only insane back sleepers who like rock hard mattresses sleep well on close cell foam pads. Of all my friends, the vast majority use air pads over 3" thick. I've never slept better than on a thick air pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a collapsible cot that sits ~6 inches off the ground for car camping, it is great. Would not want to carry it anywhere backpacking though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I guess my best solution is to try out more mats and find one that I love. I have an existing air mat that I've had for almost a decade but I keep falling off of it. I think REI is coming out with new mats so I'll pick up something this year.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

sb hermit posted:

I guess my best solution is to try out more mats and find one that I love. I have an existing air mat that I've had for almost a decade but I keep falling off of it. I think REI is coming out with new mats so I'll pick up something this year.

Double up with the closed cell on the ground (will help with insulation and avoiding punctures and pokes) and the inflatable mat on top of it.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

RodShaft posted:

Mountain Hardware is having a sale on backpacks. 75% off original price with code MHW75OFF

Never used these, found this while looking for a deal on a 65L pack.

Thanks for that, I got a Multi-Pitch 30L bag for $34.99 after the promo code applied!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I just bought a pair of Hoka Speedgoats someone recommended a couple pages back. I was kind of skeptical that one shoe could be much better than another but just from walking around town these have already blown me away compared to my old Salomna trail runners. I'll take them out on a trail this weekend to really break them in but I think these might be a game changer for me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

sb hermit posted:

The Helinox lite cot might be an option.
I used it for a bit in a two person tent, and I'm pretty sure I'd fit just fine in a one person.
Packs down small and is very light, too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Brother Tadger posted:

Double up with the closed cell on the ground (will help with insulation and avoiding punctures and pokes) and the inflatable mat on top of it.

I do that for snow camping and it keeps me warm but it's still not comfortable enough. Might be different with a new inflatable mat though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

The Helinox lite cot might be an option.
I used it for a bit in a two person tent, and I'm pretty sure I'd fit just fine in a one person.
Packs down small and is very light, too.

Ooh. This looks nice. Thank you!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm headed to costa rica for a long week and I needed a few things. While not specifically backpacking related, most of it will overlap my hiking/camping stuff.

I picked up another pair of patagonia 9 trails shorts because they're my favorite active shorts. I also picked up some lightweight tee shirts (patagonia capilene and vuori) because its going to be hot. I grabbed a pair of teva hurricane sandals because I'm not usually a sandal guy and I hate flip flops for anything other than going to a pool. I also picked up a nomadix travel towel because its nice to have something for the beach or after a swim that doesn't take up a ton of room.

I needed wanted another pair of light pants so I bought a pair of Prana Zion stretch slim fits. Holy poo poo these pants are ridiculously comfortable. They fit perfectly and they're lightweight. I feel late to the game after hearing people sing their praises for years.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I like my Prana Zions too but I recently picked up a pair of OR Astro pants and they're even better. They've got a very breathable softshell fabric on the front and a more durable fabric on the back for when you sit or slide down stuff. The Zions feel really thick in comparison, probably warmer but my legs heat up plenty quick anyways.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

5below has these for $15. I kinda want to get one just to see how bad it is.

I'm guessing they're identical to the cheep Chinese ones that are all over Amazon. But man morbid curiosity is my kryptonite.

Edit:found it on the website. it's 78x57 inches.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 28, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've actually been pretty impressed with a 1-man single-wall tent I got from Walmart a decade ago. It was $30 and it's only slightly roomier than one of those bivies with the hoop over your head, but by god it packs down to about the size of 2 beer cans and it's pretty easy to set up--although it's the old fashioned type that's held up by the guy lines, not the poles, so if the ground is too hard you're in for a bad time.

For $15, you could try it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In outdoorsy/everyday pants realm, I have really loved my Kuhl Travrse pants for slightly wetter or cooler weather than what I wear my prana zion/brions in. Since moving to the PNW those are basically my 3 pants. All of them work okay for most PNW weather but the Kuhl ones are a bit more suited to the cooler days of PNW winter. In the much colder and snowier winters I grew up in, they would have been perfect with some long underwear underneath.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I'm interested in doing some hammock camping this year with my gf, and was wondering how comfortable those two person hammocks are for two people to sleep in?

Are they a legit option for both of us to sleep in, or should we look at two one person hammocks instead?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

jetz0r posted:

I'm interested in doing some hammock camping this year with my gf, and was wondering how comfortable those two person hammocks are for two people to sleep in?

Are they a legit option for both of us to sleep in, or should we look at two one person hammocks instead?
They can be fine for cuddling for about half an hour tops, but sleeping in the same hammock is not an option.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

jetz0r posted:

separate hammocks is a must, and for actually sleeping in overnight you probably want 11’ long ones unless you are very short

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just had the strangest thing happen. I have a 1l msr fuel bottle that I'm pretty sure I left full of white gas on its side for about a year. When I pulled it out, the Rubbermaid tote had some petroleum smell, but was dry.

I took the cap off to find it only about 1/5 full with pitting all around where the oring should have sealed and some stratification of the fluid.

E: looks like it is starting to happen to my 12 oz bottles but not as bad.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Was it Z-Trek sandals that were mentioned in this thread as being good camp shoes? I did some googling but nothing I saw was jogging my memory.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 2, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Freaquency posted:

Was it Z-Trek sandals that were mentioned in this thread as being good camp shoes? I did some googling but nothing I saw was jogging my memory.

Are those the zero drop ones? I bought a pair and have been stomping around Brazil on cobble stones like a boss. poo poo rules.

Don't try skateboarding in them, you'll def bruise your feet.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Are those the zero drop ones? I bought a pair and have been stomping around Brazil on cobble stones like a boss. poo poo rules.

Don't try skateboarding in them, you'll def bruise your feet.

Yeah, those are the ones (or at least one of them, there are apparently a few other options out there. I predominantly want some for wearing to the climbing gym so I can slip out of my climbing shoes, but because they’re so light I figure an extra pair would be good to have as camp shoes. Tevas are too heavy and I’m not a fan of how chunky they look anyway.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I got a pair of the Birkenstock Arizona EVAs a while back and have loved them. I've always loved Birkenstocks, though, so I'm a bit biased. Exact same shape as original Arizonas, so very comfortable for me. I've only used them once as camp shoes, but I like that I can keep my socks on for midnight pees.

They're pretty lightweight (I think under 10oz for the pair). I wouldn't use them hiking, but I find myself grabbing them around the house all the time, and I intend to use them camping this year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I really like my Stetson Grand Canyon hat for summer.

In colder temps I wear an old waxed canvas Filson hat, but its easy to sweat it out in warmer temps.

Interesting! Those Filson hats look tremendous, but I also feel like most people can't pull those off. How do you think it would look on the average person? I just see the words "fedora", and all I can see is a neckbeard tipping his hat and going, "M'lady!".

highme posted:

I have a milsurp boonie hat that's waterproof and big (I wear 7-3/4" to 8" fitteds). Living in the PNW I thought I'd find a use for it, but in that rain I'm out with a hood up and a longer brim. It's a prime candidate for my upcoming gear purge. Can snap pics if you're interested. Would probably sell it for $20 shipped in the US.

I would dig seeing a pic - how used is it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick is to not care what everyone else thinks as long as the hat is functional and you like it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not caring about how you look is a function of age, you can't rush it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Red posted:

Interesting! Those Filson hats look tremendous, but I also feel like most people can't pull those off. How do you think it would look on the average person? I just see the words "fedora", and all I can see is a neckbeard tipping his hat and going, "M'lady!".

Doesnt look anything like a fedora, so no worries there.

Im a middle aged married man with kids who is balding and gets sunburns on his scalp. I dont care what I look like at this point, ive got no one to impress now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

withak posted:

The trick is to not care what everyone else thinks as long as the hat is functional and you like it.

Oh, absolutely, I'm just fooling around.

As long as you're outdoors doing poo poo, who cares? I think Nagualero went through several types of hats, and looked great in each (RIP).

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I'm finally looking at cutting some weight and space in my sleep system, currently I'm running an old synthetic bag 1.9kg, -6 to -11°c which doesn't exactly pack down small.
At this stage I'm looking at the Rab mythic ultra 360 which is rated a little less warm but should be fine for what I'm doing.
My only concern is that I'm not exactly small. 181cm and 110kg. Has anyone got any experience with these bags? Or are there any other bags you'd consider with similar properties? Bear in mind I'm in the arse end of nowhere (NZ) so not everything gets shipped here.

a hot dad
Dec 2, 2018
The Trek 2 bag from Sea to Summit runs -1 comfort / -8 limit, and a regular should fit you swell. STS quotes 183 cm user height, I'm 185 and don't feel like their bags are too short.

If you want something a little less mummy-shaped, the Comfort line of bags from Exped run wider and the zip extends all the way around the footbox area, so you can open them out more. The -10 model runs -5 / -10 comfort/limit. More expensive and a little heavier though.

Switching from synthetic to down should give you approximately 600-800 grams weight reduction and a big improvement in packability at that kind of thermal rating. I think a good approach is to invest in a nice bag that's adequate for shoulder conditions, and boost its qualities with a thermal liner and/or down quilt if you want to get out during winter. That way you're not spending money/weight on a serious bag whose performance you don't need - especially if you're staying in huts.

I work for an outdoor store in NZ, and would suggest generally that if you find a bag that meets your thermal needs and is available, you should buy it. Getting stock into the country is still pretty fucky - either long delays or just significantly restricted quantities.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I ended up going with a North Face Sequoia 4. It was $100 off at REI and I think I might have bought the last tent they had in stock? It's really tall, which is great for me since I'm 6'2" and am still recovering from a back injury. I set it up backyard camping and just had a great time falling asleep to crickets and waking up to birdsong. Looking forward to taking it out for real.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I ended up going with a North Face Sequoia 4. It was $100 off at REI and I think I might have bought the last tent they had in stock? It's really tall, which is great for me since I'm 6'2" and am still recovering from a back injury. I set it up backyard camping and just had a great time falling asleep to crickets and waking up to birdsong. Looking forward to taking it out for real.

Nice - glad to hear you got in on the deal before they were gone. Write us a trip report once you're out of the yard!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Red posted:

I would dig seeing a pic - how used is it?

Dumped them into a google photos album. I've worn it a couple of times, it's spent most of it's life folded up in a bag.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Xf1MkHBHLeUh9j67

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Does anyone have any recommended solar chargers for backpacking? I've got a 2-3 week trip in France this September, but I'd like it to be good enough to keep for any future backpacking or bikepacking trips. I've got a 20k mAh battery I use on bike trips right know, but everything I've done biking so far I've been able to charge it back up multiple times a week if needed. Things I need to keep charged: mirrorless camera, GPS, 2x headlamps, 2x kindles, possibly 2 phones and a gopro.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Would you normally be running down the battery back each day with that much usage? Because I think a solar charger would struggle to recharge 20,000 mAh in a day. If I thought I could at least access power intermittently I would think about getting a second powerbank instead.

Outdoor gearlab just updated their recommendations last week though if that helps, https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-solar-charger

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To give a sense of scale, a 7800 mAh battery takes ~8 hours of steady sun to charge from zero with a 13 watt panel. That's not a super small panel either, laid flat it'd be about 1 foot by 2 feet. 7800 mAh can keep two phones charged for about two days (roughly, maybe newer phones suck more juice and I haven't done the math for a few years).

Now obviously you're not going to be recharging everything from zero every day so maybe you could keep the 20k battery treading water with a 13 watt panel for a little while but I doubt you'd get 3 weeks out of it. It really depends how much power you actually end up using.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I don't think I ever fully drained it on a trip yet, I think I got 4 days once when 2 phones were getting charged. But I don't think it would last a whole week without charging, and I'm sure I'll be doing some trips in the future where I won't have the chance to charge it from an outlet for more than a week. GPS is like every 2-3 days, kindles like every 2 weeks depending on use, phones maybe twice a week (much heavier use on a bike trip than backpacking). My camera is the unknown since my last big trip I still had a DSLR which had a substantially better battery life and I'll probably be taking a lot more pictures throughout the day on a hike than I do on a ride.

I was mostly looking at ~21W panels like the Anker or similar.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Can you get extra batteries for the camera? I have two spares I carry with me. I have a Fujifilm X-T2. The stock battery definitely lasts longer than the third party brand ones I have, but I only needed to recharge the main battery once on a 10 day vacation. OFC, I don't know how many photos you take in comparison.
Are the kindles standard tablets, or the ones with e-ink you're just using for reading?
AFAIK, you need direct sunlight and the right angle to get an optimal charge rate with solar. That's definitely a good amount of stuff to charge, but you could probably get away with just buying more battery banks and being intentional with your electronics usage.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Conventional wisdom from through hikers and the like is that you’re better off bringing extra battery power and recharging when you hit town.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, I've got 2 extra camera batteries, cheap 3rd parties ones that definitely don't last as long. E-ink kindles just for reading, the batteries last a long time. I'll check out another battery as an option, getting the fast change and everything with it is nice. My current one is few years old right now and always seems to die suddenly when it's down to the last indicator, I'll try to do draining/charging with it and some devices to see exactly how many changes I can get out of it right now, that'll give me a much better idea of how long i might be able to make it last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I'm going to seam seal, silicone spray and permethrin a bunch of new and used tents/rainflies. Which spray do I use first?