Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bort posted:

A theory about Irv:

In episode 1, when Devon makes the sandwich for Mark, she asks "Hey, how's the good doctor therapy man, with that weird little mustache?". Mark indicates he's not going to therapy.

There aren't throwaway lines in this show. I bet Mark's therapist is Irv. The two don't encounter each other on the outside because Mark repeatedly says that severance is helping him therapeutically. This also would be a way writers could solve Irv banging on Burt's door. He'll either be Burt's, or Burt's partner's therapist. Maybe he specializes in severed patients.

It would be very in the spirit of the show to have "Irv as artist" be misdirection. Moreover, Irv might have some connection to the severance process, possibly was seminal to its creation. He could then have undergone the procedure, with some idealistic intent that Lumon and the Eagans later subvert. Outtie Irv then sours on severance, and I think he knows innies can be psychologically conditioned. His art and sleep deprivation are attempts to recondition his innie. Prior conditioning could have made innie Irv embrace the Kier cult so fully. To undo that conditioning, he must be strident with consistent dark elevator imagery and the Ace of Spades. The song will, for sure, appear in a MDE at some point in season 2.

I think there's more to the black goo than Irv's paint, but don't have a theory there.

oh poo poo that actually fits pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I really liked the show but I'm not sure I can get past the spectacularly bad job Dylan R did of distributing syrup on his waffles. He's clearly had a waffle party before so inexperience can't be the explanation. Anyway, explaining that that is one of the more obvious plot hooks for Season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

withak posted:

I really liked the show but I'm not sure I can get past the spectacularly bad job Dylan R did of distributing syrup on his waffles. He's clearly had a waffle party before so inexperience can't be the explanation. Anyway, explaining that that is one of the more obvious plot hooks for Season 2.

This isn't a normal waffle party. He knows that he has to leave early to go to the overtime protocol, which means he doesn't get to have sex with the tempers, plus he needs to remember how to do the procedure. He's got a lot on his mind, and that translate to not do optimal syrup distribution. I'm sure this would have been noticed if they had anyone besides that one guy to do security.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I could buy that.

Someone also needs to assemble a real playlist for the MDE genre menu.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
bad syrup distribution is just an inherent flaw of the waffle. lumon's superior competitor have pancake parties and more than one security guy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Talorat posted:

I absolutely love that Rickon’s book of trite platitudes is authentically insightful on the severed floor. Just the idea of there being something more to life than work is a groundbreaking revelation down there. Just amazing writing all around.

It reminds me of The Office where at the end of the episodes Michael Scott says something really dumb, trying to be profound, but it’s actually profound in a way he’s unaware of

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

withak posted:

I could buy that.

One of my hopes is that Irv gets a dance party, picks "speedy Metal", and ace of spades is the record that gets played.

All hell breaks loose from there.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 30, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Do we ever see the MDRs try to put a group of numbers in a bin and they DON'T work?

Oh good question! I don’t remember seeing this, but I imagine the bin makes a mac osx error noise and they get remotely electrocuted or something lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone talked about color theory yet

I saw some online theories that blue = work and red = life outside work

Most of the town is blue because it’s owned by the company

Mark’s home is mostly blue tinted because the company probably owns it. His couch is reddish because that’s probably the thing he picked out himself and owns

Helly’s red hair ties in with her rejection of the office.

When Petey’s head reintegrates and he dies, he is bathed in both the red and blue police lights

The dance party starts out with red and blue light because it’s a mingling of the outside world into the office. But as Dylan becomes overwhelmed with thoughts about his outie’s son the lights are completely red.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Do we ever see the MDRs try to put a group of numbers in a bin and they DON'T work?

Breakroom.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Not in the show I don’t think, but the employee manual in the novella shows that you get an error message if you try to put the numbers in an inappropriate bin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s a shame we don’t have a mod regular in here so we could all get those sweet sweet gang tags.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I’ve read through most of the thread and didn’t see this mentioned, but in episode 3 when Cobel goes back to her office and is surprised to see Natalie there (and Milchick setting up a speaker for the board) she says “Is this about Helena?” And then they have the conversation about Petey and the board saying reintegration isn’t possible.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Has anyone talked about color theory yet

I saw some online theories that blue = work and red = life outside work

Most of the town is blue because it’s owned by the company

Mark’s home is mostly blue tinted because the company probably owns it. His couch is reddish because that’s probably the thing he picked out himself and owns

Helly’s red hair ties in with her rejection of the office.

When Petey’s head reintegrates and he dies, he is bathed in both the red and blue police lights

The dance party starts out with red and blue light because it’s a mingling of the outside world into the office. But as Dylan becomes overwhelmed with thoughts about his outie’s son the lights are completely red.

This is cool poo poo, love it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I should get a reddish couch.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My couch is blue. And my roommate's boyfriend works for me.

Oh my god

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I know it was for plot reasons (gotta give the heroes their next goal), but whatever those cards meant must have been incredibly important to invoke overtime. Could have just asked the next day, and the thing never even left the office. It doesn’t seem like it could all just be busywork with that kind of reaction.

I suppose they could be training materials but innies can read, so making them specifically pictographs seems relevant somehow, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I know it was for plot reasons (gotta give the heroes their next goal), but whatever those cards meant must have been incredibly important to invoke overtime. Could have just asked the next day, and the thing never even left the office. It doesn’t seem like it could all just be busywork with that kind of reaction.

I suppose they could be training materials but innies can read, so making them specifically pictographs seems relevant somehow, too.

O&D manufactures whatever they’re told to

Sometimes it was weapons

Also there’s that book where an innie and outie pieces together that an explosion happened right after the innie finished refining data

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

You actually answer your own question. The fact the cards are pictographs means they get by the code detectors. Overtime was invoked to ensure the materials did not leave Lumon premises.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Can someone edit out the first head bob so he's hopping around in a perfect loop forever?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

DaveKap posted:

You actually answer your own question. The fact the cards are pictographs means they get by the code detectors. Overtime was invoked to ensure the materials did not leave Lumon premises.

I also wondered if they were concerned about the innies learning how to (effectively?) defend themselves

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
More color theory:

Ricken’s self help book is red. The office manual is blue

When Petey reintegrates, his bathrobe is blue and red stripes

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

BooDooBoo posted:

Can someone edit out the first head bob so he's hopping around in a perfect loop forever?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

This is a great loop!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would also like one of them "gangular tagums" if a mod so happens 2 see this tyvmia

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

More color theory:

I think you might be on to something. :stare:

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

precision posted:

i would also like one of them "gangular tagums" if a mod so happens 2 see this tyvmia

Me as well

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Steve Yun posted:

O&D manufactures whatever they’re told to

Sometimes it was weapons

Also there’s that book where an innie and outie pieces together that an explosion happened right after the innie finished refining data

DaveKap posted:

Nah I mean I get all that, like obv he knew there was a chance that the card could have been smuggled out, but…who cares? Why did it matter enough to use OT, which had ever happened to any of them ever before (afaik)? The characters needed the idea to progress they plot, sure, but seems like overkill unless they actually mean something.

I read someone somewhere else say that the cards could be used like Manchurian Candidate triggers, like a copy of Catcher in the Rye for Lumen programmed severed agents. I kind of like that, because otherwise it seems like a pretty dramatic overreaction.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

withak posted:

I could buy that.

Apple did.

https://music.apple.com/au/playlist/lumon-industries-music-experience/pl.u-AgGh4veKX

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

I guess this confirms that Ace of Spades isn't an option for an Irv MDE next season? Unless the outies get to choose their innies' MDE playlist, but that particular collection of songs feels very un-Helena-like. Maybe if they don't have a favorite Gregorian chant the company chooses one for them, though :v:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

demostars posted:

I guess this confirms that Ace of Spades isn't an option for an Irv MDE next season? Unless the outies get to choose their innies' MDE playlist, but that particular collection of songs feels very un-Helena-like. Maybe if they don't have a favorite Gregorian chant the company chooses one for them, though :v:

It could be a retirement song option. I don't remember if Burt's outtie got to select that song, or if his innie chose it prior to the party.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

That’s not Apple/official just fyi

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the other part that "Irv is a therapist" helps solve is why he's doing those paintings. as a therapist he might know or have an idea that repetitive exposure to a single image/music combination would eventually bleed through to his Innie, which was my theory about why he was doing the paintings in the first place

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the irv painting thing annoyed me at first because it felt like such a tv writer thing - as in, nobody is actually so obsessive that they paint the exact same image over and over again, listening to the same song, drinking HARD BLACK COFFEE etc. nobody is like that except in fake rear end fiction. and i thought ah poo poo, first bit of corny writing.

but when i realised that all of this repetition was on purpose to try and hard code a signal into his own brain so he could remember it on the inside, i was really pleased. not because it's so mind warpingly clever, but because my assumption that the show was doing something stupid was wrong.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Nah I mean I get all that, like obv he knew there was a chance that the card could have been smuggled out, but…who cares? Why did it matter enough to use OT, which had ever happened to any of them ever before (afaik)? The characters needed the idea to progress they plot, sure, but seems like overkill unless they actually mean something.

I read someone somewhere else say that the cards could be used like Manchurian Candidate triggers, like a copy of Catcher in the Rye for Lumen programmed severed agents. I kind of like that, because otherwise it seems like a pretty dramatic overreaction.

yeah i've been thinking about the strange use of OTC as well. There's also the discrepancy that Reghabi told outie Mark that innie Mark would "know what to do" with Graner's security card... but innie Mark didn't have a plan for it at all until after Dylan mentioned OTC the next day. Some people online think this is evidence that Milchick is a traitor, but that really doesn't mesh with the rest of Milchick's actions. Maybe someone collaborating with Reghabi (Burt?) asked Milchick to use the OTC after Mark was in possession of Graner's card.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did they know Mark wouldn't just immediately go to Milchick and say 'hey, I found this card in my pocket."

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

How did they know Mark wouldn't just immediately go to Milchick and say 'hey, I found this card in my pocket."

Yeah it seems like they might have known innie Mark was already asking questions and wandering about the office/filling out Petey's map. Maybe they trusted that planting Petey's map where Mark would find it would be enough to engender mistrust of Lumon, or maybe someone was feeding Reghabi updates on the goings-on inside the building. Again if Burt was the one who asked for OTC under the guise of needing to find the card Dylan stole, maybe he was also somehow keeping Reghabi updated on what MDR was doing (snooping around the office, finding baby goat rooms, etc).

Steve Yun posted:

More color theory:

Blue band-aid to cover up red blood on Mark's head

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 2, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That really is some hootin' tootin' country tho.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How would Irv be a therapist if he already has a full-time job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The dance scene reminded me of a very similar scene in Ex Machina. Both are menace and fun in a poppy candy wrapper.

I have to say: neither worked for me. There’s a suspension of disbelief that’s broken for me. Too elaborate, too aberrant in tone and style. The banality of evil gets lost somewhat.

By contrast, they fit perfectly in a show like Legion where showy visual setpieces are the name of the game.

I swear I’m not just being contrarian — there’s plenty I loved about Severance. The premise sucked me in from episode one, and I’m constantly worrying in the back of my mind that they’re gonna screw it up like Westworld or whatever.