Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
That all sounds pretty good. Any recommendations for what kind of stuff I can use for marking out zones? I was thinking of using small poker chips to track marks and on going effects, just placing them under the mini/token.

I’ve got some dungeon tiles I’ve never had the chance to actually use so I should be relatively okay on that front for now. At some point I want to make something more elaborate, but that’s more because I want to make and/or paint terrain than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

DoubleDonut posted:

That all sounds pretty good. Any recommendations for what kind of stuff I can use for marking out zones? I was thinking of using small poker chips to track marks and on going effects, just placing them under the mini/token.

I’ve got some dungeon tiles I’ve never had the chance to actually use so I should be relatively okay on that front for now. At some point I want to make something more elaborate, but that’s more because I want to make and/or paint terrain than anything else.

I made some squares etc out of wire coathanger.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I used cocktail sticks glued together but they fell apart after a few car journeys. You can print out flat zone markers on paper, but the best solution would probably be 3D printing hollow plastic rectangles.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

DoubleDonut posted:

Does anyone have any tips for making in-person play a little easier for new players? The current incarnation of the character builder can be a little annoying to get working properly, and it presents the player with every single feat alphabetically which can be pretty overwhelming, plus I’d like to spend an in person session making characters together instead of just sending everyone home to do it on their pc. But then calculating stuff quickly and keeping track of what stuff you’ve used can be kind of a pain; I was thinking maybe making cards for everyone’s powers and items to make it easier.

I’m also a little concerned about overwhelming people with options with feats, but I think if I just give everyone the big fest taxes for free (expertise, mba primary stat stuff, improved defenses) and tell them to pick what seems cool we should be okay.

It helps to get an item to represent when a target is marked (either by a striker or defender mark) or suffering a status condition. The IRL 4e group I played in used M&Ms/Skittles so that whoever killed the creature would get to eat its marks.

A draw-erase mat with different colored markers helps with zones. Alternatively, get a bunch of different colored strings/yarn and associate a player with a color.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's something to be said for running it on a laptop with a second screen facing the players. I used to do it on Roll20 with two accounts, or if you can track down a copy of Masterplan that can do the same thing completely offline and helps a ton with turn and condition tracking too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's something to be said for running it on a laptop with a second screen facing the players. I used to do it on Roll20 with two accounts, or if you can track down a copy of Masterplan that can do the same thing completely offline and helps a ton with turn and condition tracking too.

If you're willing to shell out the money, you could also pick up Fantasy Grounds which handles 4e very well, you just have to go digging for the right :files:

Since you're showing it on one screen, you'd only need the one copy. I used to do something similar by hooking my laptop to my TV and having players sit on the couch.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Arrrthritis posted:

It helps to get an item to represent when a target is marked (either by a striker or defender mark) or suffering a status condition.

I found those little elastic hairbands worked really well for that -- they come in different colours, they're small enough to hang off a model, and they're cheap enough that you can buy a ton of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One of my “if I ever become stupidly wealthy” dream purchases would be a glass-top table with a giant flatscreen TV/monitor, so I could display whatever map or grid or visuals I’d need at the time.

If you wanna go really, really old school, you could do something similar with a projector suspended from the ceiling.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
When I played, our GM had a bunch of colored chips that interlocked and were slightly bigger than the base of the minis. Each color of chip represented a different major condition

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

If you can get your hands on them, the plastic rings from opened bottle caps make excellent condition markers. That's a solid budget option.

Alternatively, they sell condition markers online that can be fairly expensive but are worth it if D&D is a hobby you spend a lot of time engaging in.

Actually, looking online it seems a bunch of people have come out with knock-offs of those acrylic rings for relatively cheap (96 markers for $24 USD).

https://www.amazon.com/Tidyboss-Min...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/ALIZERO-Tabl...aps%2C54&sr=8-6

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I used the Alea Tools magnetic disks but honestly the soda rings were preferable 9 times out of 10.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used novelty rubber bands that I just threw on top of the mini. Like these.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Running a dnd 4e campaign, specifically the h1-e3 orcus conversion. My players recently finished Keep on the Shadowfell and are moving onto the next leg of the campaign. They are level 4 (a fighter, runepriest and invoker).The tone is lighthearted, medium roleplaying, medium-high combat, investigation and exploration.

Looking for two more players! New players welcome!

We play biweekly on Fridays, 7pm-10pm EST. We play on Foundry, and use Discord for voice.

Feel free to message me on Discord at buttcheeksio#2062 if you’re interested!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Heard two new points against 4e that have really blown my mind and I’m still processing them:

1. “Encounter powers are bad, because it doesn’t make sense to have a power you can only use once per fight.”
2. “At-will powers don’t make sense because where are the characters getting the energy to produce the effects? An infinite energy source?”

There were a bunch of other negative points but they’re your more run of the mill stuff. Video game, healing surges bad, powers bad, etc.

Just glad to be hearing fresh bad takes so many years later!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neither of those are new, the complaint against encounter powers even existed in 3.5 once the Tome of Battle came out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

2. “At-will powers don’t make sense because where are the characters getting the energy to produce the effects? An infinite energy source?”
Dungeons and Thermodynamics

I'm nearing the end of a Madness at Gardmore Abbey playthrough and my group has completely derailed it by tricking the dragon Mekkalath into thinking the orcs were attacking his lair, prompting him to go and burn down the village, while the party slaughters his underlings and makes off with the hoard. No final showdown with the orcs for them! Which actually suits me fine because we're trying to end the campaign in the near future and that's one less scenario to have to deal with.

But it's also looking like they'll have an opportunity to be fully rested for a final showdown with the secret collector. I'm already planning to turn that into a more elaborate encounter than what's in the book. In all the years of 4E analyzing and homebrewing, has there been a good way to balance a single encounter out for a fully rested party so it's fun and can't be solved by brute forcing it with three rounds of Daily powers? Not sure if a Lair Assault is going to fit the scenario.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Nobody tell them about Pathfinder having infinite-use cantrips. :ssh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think cantrips in 5e are at-will too, but I'm not sure because I haven't played 5e.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Probably, but 95% of the kneejerk anti-4e grogs worship at the altar of 3.75e.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean nevermind cantrips, the whole reason fighters were allegedly balanced against wizards was supposed to be "wizards can run out, fighters can swing their sword all day" and ain't no one added up the energy required for one sword swing against the fighter's calorie intake that day

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

In all the years of 4E analyzing and homebrewing, has there been a good way to balance a single encounter out for a fully rested party so it's fun and can't be solved by brute forcing it with three rounds of Daily powers? Not sure if a Lair Assault is going to fit the scenario.
1. A decoy
2. Conditions that need to be met before Big Bad can be engaged on the field
3. Add in an encounter or two beforehand.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Multiple phases, healing some and clearing status effects on phase change. If they try to alpha strike with dailies they’ll just push him into a new phase and not have a daily for the new phase.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I've convinced my players to give 4e a shot for our new campaign, and I'm looking for resources for breaking down some of idiosyncrasies of each class. They're familiar with 5e, so they have some basline knowledge, but they've asked for a bit more detail about what to expect from each class in play in 4e.

I've read the "Why every 4e class is awesome" doc and I'm looking for something a bit more meaty. Any recommendations beyond just sending them the text from the PHBs?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Verisimilidude posted:

Heard two new points against 4e that have really blown my mind and I’m still processing them:

1. “Encounter powers are bad, because it doesn’t make sense to have a power you can only use once per fight.”

There were a bunch of other negative points but they’re your more run of the mill stuff. Video game, healing surges bad, powers bad, etc.

Just glad to be hearing fresh bad takes so many years later!

Do they have similar problems with vancian casting or are they okay with someone memorizing fireball and forgetting it after two uses?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Arrrthritis posted:

Do they have similar problems with vancian casting or are they okay with someone memorizing fireball and forgetting it after two uses?

They're fine with it because "magic". Because you can explain anything as magic and have them accept it.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

In It For The Tank posted:

I've convinced my players to give 4e a shot for our new campaign, and I'm looking for resources for breaking down some of idiosyncrasies of each class. They're familiar with 5e, so they have some basline knowledge, but they've asked for a bit more detail about what to expect from each class in play in 4e.

I've read the "Why every 4e class is awesome" doc and I'm looking for something a bit more meaty. Any recommendations beyond just sending them the text from the PHBs?

The intro paragraphs to the charop guides here generally explain that sort of thing pretty well.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
gently caress I really want to go back and play a 4e warlord. They look so cool but I dunno if I can find a group to play in.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

ZZT the Fifth posted:

gently caress I really want to go back and play a 4e warlord. They look so cool but I dunno if I can find a group to play in.

Warlords are amazing and I was bummed the gently caress out when the only bone thrown to that entire character concept in 5e was a halfbaked fighter style that is actively terrible in 5e

Its so blatantly just "here you can't say we didn't do this for you!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A few summers ago I ran a Strike! fewshot for some middle-to-high schoolers who'd only really played D&D 5E before in which one of the pregen characters was a lazylord skinned as a prophet/time mage. Zero damage output, except for an option to take a "Paradox Blast" high damage encounter power at a higher level that the player eschewed for a reactive revive instead.

After the game, he was gushing about how cool a character type it was and asked me where else he could see it implemented so that he could adapt the warlord into his own games, and I had to sadly explain what happened to 4e.

EDIT: Specifically he was like wow, is there a way to play such a character in D&D? And I was like, buddy,

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 3, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That "Level Up Advanced 5e" thing has a warlord-a-like

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Namagem posted:

Warlords are amazing and I was bummed the gently caress out when the only bone thrown to that entire character concept in 5e was a halfbaked fighter style that is actively terrible in 5e

Its so blatantly just "here you can't say we didn't do this for you!"

https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=66 there's a pretty good one in pathfinder 2e

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
That looks absolutely terrible, honestly. I'd have to do a math dive but I'd be shocked if such menial bonuses justified the hits to action economy you take by trying to play leader compared to just, like, killing poo poo yourself, to say nothing of how teeny tiny the range of the auras is. The fundamental fun of the warlord lied in being a force multiplier. I don't think that archetype achieves that at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Transient People posted:

That looks absolutely terrible, honestly. I'd have to do a math dive but I'd be shocked if such menial bonuses justified the hits to action economy you take by trying to play leader compared to just, like, killing poo poo yourself, to say nothing of how teeny tiny the range of the auras is. The fundamental fun of the warlord lied in being a force multiplier. I don't think that archetype achieves that at all.

Small bonuses matter a ton in Pathfinder 2e and giving people quickened is absolutely a huge force multiplier (and don't forget that characters in PF2e had 3 actions by default so spending one to give to someone else is not bad and is also common for characters organizing others, like animal companions or summons). I haven't had a marshal in a party I've played in but it looks extremely strong with my experience with the system and is well thought of in general is my understanding.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
You're not trading an action for an action though -- you're trading two actions for an action, because you're popping your ally's Reaction to let them Strike. Which...seems weak, just mathematically speaking. Given that an average monster has like 280 HP at level 15, for example, I just don't see how +1 to attack rolls or +Modifier to damage helps a lot. Absolute best case scenario, that let you do 10% more of a monster's HP if your buddy strikes and hits 3 times in a round. By contrast, a 4e warlord at a comparable level (so, level 20-23) could call down a Hail of Steel and literally just instantly kill a standard monster, or drat near close enough, by generating between two to four attacks off-turn depending on the party's composition, plus their own base hit. If I'm skeptical, it's because I wrote the book on playing the Warlord in 4e. I know what it could do out the box and what it could manage with a little bit of effort. It's hard to see the Marshal being anywhere near as destructive as that.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Arivia posted:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=66 there's a pretty good one in pathfinder 2e

The marshal is a supplementary support chassis for a character who mainly does something else, it's absolutely not a substitute for a dedicated warlord class (especially not if you're starting at level 1). PF2e has significantly better support for nonmagically Actually Doing Things than PF1e or 5e, but still doesn't have anything remotely close to the warlord.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Temporary hit points, though. :sigh:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gtrmp posted:

The marshal is a supplementary support chassis for a character who mainly does something else, it's absolutely not a substitute for a dedicated warlord class (especially not if you're starting at level 1). PF2e has significantly better support for nonmagically Actually Doing Things than PF1e or 5e, but still doesn't have anything remotely close to the warlord.

5e actually gives fighters a per-encounter and a daily power, which I'm pretty sure is more than PF2 can stomach.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Marshal in A5E has a "Commanding Presence" feature, starting at a 10-foot range. The Marshal does an attack action, an ally within range spends their reaction to cast a cantrip or make a weapon attack. The range increases with levels, ending up at 60 feet.

They also get a once-per-long-rest heal at level 1.

Then as they level up, they get to mark enemies (to-hit bonus for allies attacking them), a bunch of followers, initiative bonuses for allies, saving throw rerolls, a once-per-long-rest group heal, make the party harder to charm or frighten, a free castle, and a bunch of abilities they get to choose along the way.

It's a lot closer to what I remember the 4e Warlord being (though I only played one once, a lot of years ago) - a healer who also gets to hit the enemy with his allies

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gort posted:

The Marshal in A5E has a "Commanding Presence" feature, starting at a 10-foot range. The Marshal does an attack action, an ally within range spends their reaction to cast a cantrip or make a weapon attack. The range increases with levels, ending up at 60 feet.

They also get a once-per-long-rest heal at level 1.

This can be used on two targets at level 3, and recharges on a short rest at level 7. It's a very good class, I played one recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coming up on the end of Madness at Gardmore Abbey and I feel like the final fight against the secret collector needs a gimmick that involves the Deck, beyond the usual "draw random card for a terrain power" (which, on a sidenote, has been largely bookkeeping and seemed more of a nuisance than an interesting addition to everyone in my two playthroughs so far). I already thought I'd make each of the collector's cards into an enemy creature, based on the card's power, and place the whole thing in a sort of Dimension of Cards, but it feels like it still needs something.

Maybe each round a different card power manifests no matter what and the players have to work around it in some way?