Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Also I think you have to specifically order one that is FIM certified? Like the Corsair-X or X-Fourteen you buy at the shop is not FIM. I may be wrong.

I’m not so sure. The Shoei’s US website states the RF-1400 is Snell M2020D, which means it isn’t compliant with ECE 22.06. Their European website says they are ECE compliant, so I’d assume the NXR2 complies with the newest regulation, otherwise they’d have to stop selling it next year.

They have the same shape and share visors and graphics, etc., but they have different shells at minimum, eg AIM (EU) vs AIM+ (US).

I have a Corsair X and it's Snell 2020D certified only. I don't think they sell the ECE certified one in the US. If you want an FIM certified helmet, you'll pay a lot more and I doubt most stores will just have them on the shelf. If it is FIM certified, it'll have a fancy holographic sticker similar to the Snell ones. I assume the ECE and FIM models are physically different, such as different shell composition or different EPS density to meet the different standards, but I doubt any manufacturer will advertise exactly what is different.

Snell, ECE and FIM have different ideas about what makes a safe helmet, which results in different design requirements. There are so many variables involved in a crash that I don't think there can possibly be one "best" standard. Rather, the standards are based on what they think are the most likely impacts seen in the types of crashes they care about, with considerations for things like cost. Is the double impact test Snell does realistic in real-world crashes? I don't know, but Snell apparently thinks so. Same for ECE or FIM, but they're targeting different types of impacts and making different tradeoffs.

Personally I think the ECE 22.06 is probably a better representation of the kinds of impacts seen on the street, but I don't think Snell vs ECE should be the dealbreaking factor between two helmets. Any helmet that is Snell or ECE certified will be far safer than the cheap brain buckets that can pass the DOT standard. There are some helmets that I would still consider safe even if it's only DOT certified, such as those with drop down visors or modular helmets that Snell won't certify. My previous helmet was an AGV K5 S with a drop down visor that was DOT only.

I guess when it comes down to it, I consider both Snell and ECE reasonable standards, so I'll get the helmet that fits the best and meets one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any thoughts on the regular vs JBL cardo packtalk speakers? I need to order one of those “second helmet” kits for my PAcktalk Bold but honestly not sure whether I need to opt for the JBL or not. I’m not an audiophile and I don’t really listen to music on the road. More for comms.

Also vaguely interested in experiences in comms on an open-faced helmet? Err.. Not open faced as in half-helmet, but a helmet with no visor or visor up w/goggles. Not sure if it just becomes impossible to communicate or if noise cancellation is a thing.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The JBL speakers push the limits on the standard size for speaker inserts and are a bitch to fit in many helmets. You may need to damage the EPS foam to make them fit. Do not recommend.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The JBLs fit easily into my Shoei (X-Spirit 3). I think there are 2 sizes of the JBL speakers, the ones the unit comes with and bigger ones. Mine are the bigger ones.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The Alpinestars app was beeping at me for a few weeks about an important firmware update for my Tech Air 5 vest, but I haven't taken it out of the box to go riding in a while. I finally got around to pulling it out of the closet to charge it and do the firmware update, and apparently I had already updated the firmware before putting it away. A few months in the closet, and the state of charge was still near 100% so that's cool.

I guess thanks for the notice, A* software engineers, but it seems like the app should keep track of what the last firmware version was instead of telling me: "You may or you may not need to update your airbag."

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

pun pundit posted:

The JBL speakers push the limits on the standard size for speaker inserts and are a bitch to fit in many helmets. You may need to damage the EPS foam to make them fit. Do not recommend.

Agreed, I own a pair and do not recommend them. I managed to use them for one day (6 hours riding) with contact lenses in so they weren't pressing on my glasses, but couldn't face a second day and rode home relying on looking at my phone screen in my tank bag.

That said, maybe some helmets have huge speaker cut outs that they would work well in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The JBL speakers JUST fit into my RF-1200 and don't really put any pressure on my coconut, but I know they were an absolute bitch to install in my previous HJC so definitely agree on the troublesome comments. Not sure what the cavities in the MX9 ADV are like yet so I'll probably hold off and measure up some templates to see how they fit (unless someone has an MX9 with JBL/non-JBL Cardo packtalk speakers and can comment firsthand) but I'm kind of leaning toward just saving the $30-40 and going with the standard setup and spending the "savings" on a better dead cat for the wired mic.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm on the market for a "cheap" new jacket and it's between the Richa Infinity 2 Pro or the Büse Highlander 2.
The Büse is quite a bit cheaper, but both are well within budget and fit really well.

As far as I can tell there's one very clear advantage to either:
The Richa is permanently waterproof, which would be kinda nice to have for when I'm commuting and it starts raining a bit, I really can't be arsed with the zip out membranes (and it's one of those types that won't carry water). I also don't carry any luggage normally, so a rain jacket isn't really on the table. But so far I've barely ever been in a situation where I would have benefited from this.

The Büse is made from Polyamide, which as far as I can tell is a much superior fabric. I also like the details they put on the jacket.

One thing I really learned is that ventilation flexibility is my #1 priority, but unfortunately the Held Carese Evo, which seems like the end all in that regard, doesn't fit me very well (at least in the sizes they had locally).

The Richa seems slightly better in that regard, with two outlets on the back, while the Büse only has one horizontal slit. Although that's just speculation on my end.
Any opinions on this? Is the waterproof jacket hotter?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Richa is a very good middle range brand. They actually use goretex, superfabric and d3o on most of their models. You found a low cost variant they carry so it has d3o, but not-goretex membrane. It's a bonded outer shell membrane at least.

Buse does not have included back armor and cheapo shoulder and elbow + zip in liner, ie the inner uncomfortable plastic bag while the outer fabric gets waterlogged and cold + any pocket is soaked.

Of those two I'd choose the richa all day any day.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

WP jackets using liners suck and breathe worse than jackets layered with a goretex outer layer. buy anything else. goretex layers will pack under your seat easily if you refuse to use a backpack with rain gear in it

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

right arm posted:

WP jackets using liners suck and breathe worse than jackets layered with a goretex outer layer. buy anything else. goretex layers will pack under your seat easily if you refuse to use a backpack with rain gear in it

Obviously I'd be riding without liner. Right now I have a jacket with a WP liner and I just can't be arsed. The Richa having a bonded outer WP layer sounds really enticing, but like I said, wouldn't have needed it on too many occassions so far.

I guess I also like the Büse styling a bit more and a 150€ just for permanent WP hasn't quite convinced me yet.

I'm planing to spend big bucks in about a year when I expect to settle into a size more permanently.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 29, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Well, went to the manufacturer store I got my previous jacket from, turns out their house brand is still incredibly cheap. Basically got the same jacket again, although the new generation has had some significant upgrades and improvements. Sadly the protectors haven't been improved and it's still just 600D Cordura (although no longer Cordura branded).
They also had a blue Ixon Ragnar that fit me really well and has the sorta ventilation flexibility I was looking for, I was really tempted to buy that. Looked awesome as well. But considering I can get an improved version of the jacket I am quite happy with already for 200€, and the Ixon would be 400 with very little tangible advantages I couldn't justify. If I were to keep using this for a few years I would totally have jumped on it, but I am expecting to drop another size in about a year, so yeah... Big spending gonna happen then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have any experience with Gryphon gear? Seems to be a Canadian brand. Their winter gear is on deep discount at a few shops here, and seems pretty decent from when I tried it on.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I ended up just buying a corsair-x the rf-1400 couldnt really fit right in in L or XL with whatever redesign they did. Though didn’t seem to be a photochromatic visor for arai unfortunately

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

TheBacon posted:

didn’t seem to be a photochromatic visor for arai unfortunately
Last night I learned of the existence of a "pro shade" external dropdown sun visor system for Arai. No idea if they work well at all, the size doesn't inspire confidence and I was unable to find helpful specifications like light transmission or the tint's character from inside for any of their visors or shades.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

TheBacon posted:

I ended up just buying a corsair-x the rf-1400 couldnt really fit right in in L or XL with whatever redesign they did. Though didn’t seem to be a photochromatic visor for arai unfortunately

Yeah, I've not seen one. Arai's solution is the Pro Shade. I have it on my Corsair X and it works better than I expected, but I think a photochromatic visor is better and easier.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yeah I picked up that pro visor thing and will give it a shot, but really would prefer the transition like I had for my RF-1200

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My old Dainese boots are getting worn out. I'm looking for something similarly protective but more walkable if possible. Not expecting a running shoe, but something that won't give me blisters if I decide to ride out somewhere and walk around for the afternoon. How are Daytona boots from that perspective? I think that former regular poster z3n really loved them, but he doesn't post anymore.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think smx6s are pretty walkable for a boot, especially if you unzip them when you wanna walk around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I should also clarify that I would prefer something a bit less space-lordy if possible. I'm fine with boots that look like motorcycle boots but would like to avoid big garish logos and stuff. I got the Dainese I have (torque RS IN I think) partly because they were subtle.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sidi Canyons have worked fine for me, I've owned the same pair for well over 10 years and other than the sueded parts fading a bit they're still trucking along. They're plenty comfortable for calf height boots, but if I'm going somewhere that I'll be doing a LOT of walking I either pack sneakers or compromise and wear some TCX riding shoes that look like a pair of leather chucks with malleolus protection

e: Went to go look at the shoes I mentioned above, they're TCX Mood gore-tex.

VV I have those TCX rush shoes too - they're also great.VV

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 30, 2022

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've had TCX Rush shoes for a couple years now and they're great if you don't mind not having a full boot. I've even walked around in them all day a few times, as I am lazy and cheap and they were the most supportive shoes I owned for walking around on rougher surfaces :v: . It's not the best but totally doable once they're worn in.There's solid ankle reinforcement and with pants on, most people won't notice they're moto shoes, they're pretty low profile which is one of the reasons I bought them. The other reason was I had to have laces, I tried all possible sizes for low profile Alpinestars boots without laces and they wouldn't stay on snug.

I have an older version of these: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/tcx-rush-wp-boots

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

My old Dainese boots are getting worn out. I'm looking for something similarly protective but more walkable if possible. Not expecting a running shoe, but something that won't give me blisters if I decide to ride out somewhere and walk around for the afternoon. How are Daytona boots from that perspective? I think that former regular poster z3n really loved them, but he doesn't post anymore.

these have been excellent for me. hike in them when I set up camp and they don’t look too dorky. WP too which is nice

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Daytonas are great, if a but spendy. Durable, long lasting, waterproof. There's other boots that do certain things better, but for me, Daytonas hit that good enough at everything sweet spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA5axr-Syc
I am intrigued by the superhero skin tactical sweater.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I watched that yesterday and was pretty weirded out by the versatile astars with bomb diffusion suit vibes. It might be /too/ versatile.

Kind of want to look at the supersweater though, high cost aside. Too bad none of my local shops will ever keep anything but S/3XL in stock for someone to try.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It’s kinda crazy that the sweater has the same rating as this leather jacket, which I ride in. I still feel safer in leather :shrug: but that sweater might be nice for in town commuting. Insane price though.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-quantum-air-jacket

The new quantum air jacket is AAA though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The question I have with the sweater as with any loose fitting thing is: Will your armour stay in place enough to protect your pointy bits?

I recently bought the Icon field armour compression shirt since I want to get a more loose fitting armoured hoodie or “flannel” for in-town coffee rides. My admittedly amateur thinking is that the compression shirt being an unsightly sausage casing is unlikely to move the armour around, but the spandex in between is literally zero abrasion protection, while a kevlar lined hoodie or flannel might be poo poo for armour but ok for abrasion, so maybe some kind of weird combination of the two is the best of both worlds? I dunno. I’m willing to experiment and take the $200 L on the compression shirt if I go out and feel like it’s super unsafe.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Knox makes armored shirts that can be worn under other gear but are rated for both impact and abrasion resistance by themselves that I'd be far more inclined to trust than anything made by Icon (yes, they cost more)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The fortnine one was Revit at least. Also fwiw I think the bowflex stuff for the underlayer abrasion + armor is pretty great

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Recommendations for riding jeans for a short goon? My pants are usually 34/29 or maybe 36/29 depending on brand

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

idk about jeans specifically but klim’s fjallraven copies come in a short which fits my similarly short legs (all torso baby lol) pretty well

that being said I think revzilla has inseam lengths on their website

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Alpinestars Double Bass fit exactly like every pair of Levi's I've ever purchased, for whatever that's worth with regards to sizing.

The hip padding they come with are garbage but they do accept others.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hey I know some of yall mentioned wanting photocromic visors for your RF1400 that have been out of stock for a while. Just got an email from motorcyclegear.com that they have a limited number in stock:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/street_helmets_and_eyewear/replacement_shields/shoei/cwrf2_photochromic_shield.html

Best go and sell your first born!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Trip Report: I've complained before that my Signet-X had a godawful whistle with the visor up that starts around 25-30mph, and I like my visor up under ~50mph when conditions permit. I understand that nobody designs full-face street helmets with the visor-up in mind, and it's probably random whether a given helmet will sound awful with it up, irrespective of cost.

Sticking my fingers into the gap between the visor top rim and the helmet interrupted the whistle, so I of course started sticking things my visor and helmet in an attempt to make it go away.

I got no effect from tape in various positions, next I went all-out and stuck a cheap sharkfin vortex generator meant for cars to the top, both with and without letting it contact the visor rim, but the whistle remained. That was a bit of a relief because it looked stupid and the flat base of the sharkfin wasn't a good mate for the helmet.

I've been meaning to get a Dremel, so I took the excuse and did that, and used it to cut crenelations into the visor to disturb the airflow. They're not so deep that they impact the gasket seal when closed, and it actually created a marked improvement. The whistle's replaced with wind noise and two much fainter whistles that my head position can mitigate. I'm stopping here and taking the win I think, because for all I know if I keep going I could make a newer, louder whistle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I found the whistle changed depending on how far up I put the visor. All the way up was the worst, so I stopped doing that.

Cutting a diffuser into the visor itself wouldn't have ever occurred to be lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Idk how y’all ride with the visor up at all. Anything over like 20mph and visor up feels like being in a wind tunnel and my eyes water like crazy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm stopping here and taking the win I think, because for all I know if I keep going I could make a newer, louder whistle.
Arai advertising department get on this.

Potential slogan: !!Loud Helmets Save Lives!! *insert Doppler *EEEEEEEEEeeeee* here

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Idk how y’all ride with the visor up at all. Anything over like 20mph and visor up feels like being in a wind tunnel and my eyes water like crazy.

For me it's only when accompanied by impact-resistant glasses of some sort in front of the eyes, and if they still water then it means the glasses are routing air (and therefore bugs & grit) back over the eyeballs, a bad fit airflow-wise.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Arai advertising department get on this.

Potential slogan: !!Loud Helmets Save Lives!! *insert Doppler *EEEEEEEEEeeeee* here

https://youtu.be/JZD-ADArwXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Wraparound sunglasses.