Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I have a few DS games:

Cooking Mama (the first game)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure
Elite Beat Agents
Ghost Trick
and The Legendary Starfy (the last game of its series and the only one released outside Japan)

I also got Kirby Superstar Ultra, The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, New Super Mario Bros and all the DS Pokemon games but most people have those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fuligin posted:

didnt they lose the rom ir somethung

which is funny because you can find it all over and the game holds up really well on a laptop

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Vigilante 8 and the sequel where great N64 games as well

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Electroplankton :colbert:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Here to rep for the DS being the best handheld- not only is it's library incredibly strong in gameplay and visuals, you even get to play all the good stuff from the GBA era on it too. GBA library wins out over 3DS library for me, personally.

Just so, so much good stuff on that little brick and with none of the PSP's fragility.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Fond memories of playing my SP on the bus commute to college. Lots of Castlevania and Puyo Pop :3:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It may have caused massive hand cramp, but nothing can beat the form factor of the SP. Only God tier console until the Switch arrived.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Odd Wilson posted:

Here to rep for the DS being the best handheld- not only is it's library incredibly strong in gameplay and visuals, you even get to play all the good stuff from the GBA era on it too. GBA library wins out over 3DS library for me, personally.

Just so, so much good stuff on that little brick and with none of the PSP's fragility.

Legit miss the PSP-era. I even bought some of those UMD movies. It felt like living in the future.

Handhelds are the best. Virtual Boy included.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hatty posted:

Thingking of my DS faves
Canvas Curse
Wario Ware Touched
two Advance Wars
Animal Crossing Wild World
Mario Kart DS
Meteos
Phoenix Wright 1-3
Tetris DS
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Bangai O spirits
Three Castlevanias
Best version of Chrono Trigger
Best Versions of Dragon Quest 4-6
Etrian Odyssey 1-3
SMT Strange Journey
Mega Man ZX

Probably forgetting a ton but man what a good handheld

Shaking my fist in rage that you forgot about 999 and vlr

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I should probably figure out how to sell my sealed copy of Metroid Prime Pinball.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fly Ricky posted:

Handhelds are the best. Virtual Boy included.

if nintendo goes back to a regular old rear end tv only console after the switch i am going to be heartbroken

handheld 4 lyfe

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lastdancer posted:

I haven't updated the OP in a while was there anything important I missed that should go there?

tell people they should go play the new Kirby for Switch, it's the best

Thrown to the Kirb

Fun times with Kirby

Sleepy times

A Clockwork Pink

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
so when is diddy kong racing coming out

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Your Computer posted:

if nintendo goes back to a regular old rear end tv only console after the switch i am going to be heartbroken

handheld 4 lyfe

I hope the next system has the same form factor but maybe a refresh of the joy-cons

Spellman fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 1, 2022

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Spellman posted:

I hope the next system has the same form factor but maybe a refresh of the joy-cons

I really hope switch 2 will have the ability to communicate with the dock while in handheld mode, and the dock can transmit to the TV in that state.

Basically I want the wiiu 2

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I hope the next system has an insanely stupid gimmick like idk cranks and other bop-it classics

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Trying out Nonogram Minimal, a recent release that's currently only $2.50. It's more Picross, but how is it?

It comes with 200 puzzles, including 50 color puzzles, and it even includes an option to make random Picross puzzles. However, the big selling point is you can make your own puzzles and share them online, so in theory this could have the most puzzles of any Picross game, and for a cheap price! So how is it in reality?

Ehhhhh. There's no options, but the controls seem fine enough, with one glaring exception: You can't wrap around the sides at all, so if you fill a square on one side, you have to slowly move the cursor to the other side. It's a baffling choice, and one with a clear lack of polish. There's a reason the S games are the gold standard, since they give you a lot of fine control in their options and go all-out on polish.

The puzzle editor is pretty solid. You can make up to a 25x25 puzzle, B&W or color, and it's pretty easy to fill different colors in. It's also easy to test your puzzle, and the editor will even tell you if a puzzle can't be done or has multiple solutions, which is fantastic. Uploading seems fine too, so making puzzles is pretty simple overall and a good experience.

Now, actually playing puzzles by other people is near drat impossible, as the Community Levels option is incredibly buggy and it's trivially easy to softlock the game in an endless Loading screen if you even look at it funny. It takes a minute to even load the drat thing, which is just four sections of ten puzzles each. You have to press R to move to the next section to even bring up the cursor. If you scroll to the left or right past those four sections, the game softlocks. If you try to sort the puzzles, the game softlocks. You can play the puzzles and Like/Dislike them, but the actual menu and process is completely terrible presently, and right now you're basically stuck at 40 puzzles.

Do I recommend it? Ehhhh. It's more Picross, and the basic game works. If you don't mind the lack of polish and the lack of cursor wrapping, the base puzzles seem fine enough, and it has a surprisingly good puzzle editor on top of that, plus there's unlimited random puzzles. It's also cheap enough that it may be worth buying now in hopes they fix the community features soon and also maybe patch the game with some QoL stuff. It's not the worst Picross game on the Switch (hello, Nonogram Prophecy), but you're probably better off buying one of the many better Picross games over this one.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

so when is diddy kong racing coming out

After DK64

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Trying out Nonogram Minimal, a recent release that's currently only $2.50. It's more Picross, but how is it?

drat, I hadn't heard of this but it sounded really intriguing until you mentioned the issues..think I'll pass. Maybe there'll be a sequel some day that irons out the problems.

Since you own it already, you really should power through the shortcomings and make a 25x25 goatse picross

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bleck posted:

Nintendo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Waffle! posted:

Fond memories of playing my SP on the bus commute to college. Lots of Castlevania and Puyo Pop :3:

I was a night janitor at a hospital during college. The job was set up for an 8 hour shift of work as a program for disabled people so it was a relatively small amount of work. I could do the entire shift of work in maybe 2 hours, so I'd hide and play GBA (with the Afterburner backlight mod) all night. Metroid Zero, Castlevania, the Mario RPG. Good times.

Switch related, is Kirby a good Coop game? My kid loves playing BOTW but I want something we can play together.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The SP was real cool. I had a friend who left it on his pants which his mum washed without checking. The console still worked despite having water inside the screen, 10/10 Nintendium.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i can't use handhelds without getting massive headaches so i have no nostalgia for the gba or ds or anything. they probably had good games but largely i will never know

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Switch related, is Kirby a good Coop game?

Both of the Switch Kirby games are great co-op. Star Allies is arguably much better with friends than it is solo.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

An Actual Princess posted:

i can't use handhelds without getting massive headaches so i have no nostalgia for the gba or ds or anything. they probably had good games but largely i will never know

They make emulators for that. Hack your Switch and play all those games you missed!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS emulation feels wrong to me

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Technically, you can inject DS roms into certain officially emulated DS games on the WiiU to still get the two screen experience

although this would require you to be one of the 500 something people to actually own a WiiU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hatty posted:

DS emulation feels wrong to me

Ds emulation rocks, on the 3ds

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Wii U is good. I'm glad I kept mine.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i sold my wii u to pay for my switch

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i do have a launch day switch and i know it CAN be hacked but i get a little anxious when the instructions include grounding a specific pin and if i gently caress it up i can fry my switch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll hack a switch when it’s as easy as hooking up a mic and playing a strange noise into it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can't do anything cool with a hacked Switch other than play games for free. If you have a launch Switch you should just sell it for $300 and buy a brand new Switch.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
u can stream games from your pc to your hacked switch . successfully used this method to trick my friend into believing the switch has good graphics

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

You can't do anything cool with a hacked Switch other than play games for free. If you have a launch Switch you should just sell it for $300 and buy a brand new Switch.

I'm sincerely tempted. My fan is louder, and the battery life is what you'd expect from a launch (or slightly after launch) model.

Actually, I bought mine right before Christmas 2018. It wasn't a red box one. Is that still viable for hackers?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a website where you can check the serial number. Christmas 2018 seems late and probably isn't one of the easily hacked ones.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Walla posted:

The Wii U is good. I'm glad I kept mine.

Mine died. I’m sad about that. It had the advanced wars games and the gba Metroid and Zelda games on it. (Not a power supply issue, straight up motherboard death.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

i could play dk64 handheld, a feat never before possible

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Like I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've had sweet wallpapers on my hacked Switch for years now.

Though honestly yeah it's probably seen its most use from roommates playing copies of games I own without tying up my Switch. But they have to be copies because at one point for some reason I deliberately disabled the game cart reader.