Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah fixing the higher education sector is very much in their education policies, 'abolish student debt' is just the headline policy which idk if is the best strategy but doesn't really matter too much

https://greens.org.au/platform/education

government today announced they're increasing PBS subsidies which is a genuinely good policy

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2022/04/30/greg-hunts-final-act-against-universal-healthcare/165124080013802

but it turns out they also appointed someone well known for wanting to destroy the PBS to review which medications should be subsidised by the PBS, and completely defunded the NPS in the budget, which is responsible for providing evidence-based info about medications to doctors and pharmacists in order to promote best practices

wonder where this is going, probably "oh no PBS costs are blowing out because we increased subsidies and destroyed the agency that helps to reduce costs, better viciously cut vital medications from the PBS"

lih fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://twitter.com/zdaniel/status/1520256929716527111?t=m3xSuSBIlhqs0JfdhqD_3g&s=19
:itwaspoo:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

doing a big poo poo and wiping it on a sign of someone i don't like with my hands.... in goldstein..... whoduv thort

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Saw someone towing an advertising billboard for David Dwyer in a commodore with "JUST HODL" plates yesterday

Honestly surprised the libs aren't too sane for a bitcoiner

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who is doing all these vote 1 Eric Abetz signs in Tasmania it's hilarious.

lih
May 15, 2013

norp posted:

Saw someone towing an advertising billboard for David Dwyer in a commodore with "JUST HODL" plates yesterday

Honestly surprised the libs aren't too sane for a bitcoiner

the libs have a few bitcoiners already, most prominently andrew bragg. he's successfully gotten the government to commit to regulating cryptocurrencies with a "light touch" so that australia can be a global leader in cryptocurrencies (and therefore financial crime and scams...?)

https://www.andrewbragg.com/campaigns/cryptocurrency-is-here-to-stay

notably the "one in five australians own crypto" claim is from a totally garbage survey from some cryptocurrency org

digital economy minister jane hume is fully onboard with bragg's ideas too and has said some terrifying nonsense

https://www.zdnet.com/finance/blockchain/australian-government-to-introduce-crypto-exchange-badge-of-approval/?s=09 posted:

According to Hume, the government's role in helping Australia's crypto industry grow is to assure there is "trust" between the crypto investor and exchange.

"Many commentators have called for us to shoehorn crypto into the financial products regime, but crypto assets don't necessarily require the government to assure trust in the same way that financial products do," she said.

"There's a lot more transparency. There are more fewer things that can go wrong. Crypto assets don't generate the same potential harms as financial products, so we won't regulate them in the same way ... However, once you introduce an intermediary, like an exchange or an interaction with the physical or non-crypto world, then you introduce that trust requirement ... the role of government is to help assure this trust and that's why the Coalition is regulating licensees and custodians."

https://www.afr.com/companies/financial-services/government-to-consult-on-laws-to-foster-regulate-crypto-20220318-p5a5yq posted:

Minister for the Digital Economy, Jane Hume, will tell the Blockchain Australia event that “decentralised finance, which allows banking-style “services to run on decentralised networks without the involvement of intermediary banks and exchanges”, is “one of the most exciting frontiers I have seen”.

“We want to encourage innovation in crypto assets – innovation creates jobs and growth,” Senator Hume will say. “There are so many innovative use cases for crypto assets, many of which are not far at all away from becoming mainstream. These include international payments, lending and borrowing, NFTs and asset tokenisation.”

Senator Hume will say the government wants to encourage competitors to Apple, Google and Facebook, which have “centralised control of the internet”, leading to “enormous market power centralised in the hands of a few tech giants”.

“The tech giants – the largest digital platforms – have transformed from tools that index content or enable communication to surveillance platforms and gatekeepers of innovation. The rules of the game could change at any time and devastate their entire business model. This uncertainty stifles innovation,” she will say.

“Web3 will address these problems and provide alternatives and counterbalances to the power of big tech. It will be open, trust less and permissionless. Where users become the owners. Think Wikipedia rather than Encarta Encyclopedia.

“Crypto assets are a powerful way to develop consumer-owned networks. They provide a level playing field and don’t change the rules. Platforms and apps built on Web3 will not be owned by a central gatekeeper, but rather by users who will earn their ownership stake by helping to develop and maintain those services.”

Senator Hume will say the present policy debate around crypto is analogous to the creation of the internet itself in the late 1990s, “and the decisions now are very much like the decisions then: we can either sustain the right regulatory settings to accrue the benefits of the crypto asset revolution or we will simply miss out”.

She will reference the Eureka stockade and creation of Melbourne, saying the rebellion to defend rights and liberties against the heavy hand of the state and its police force helped Melbourne became one of wealthiest cities in the world.

"Crypto assets don't generate the same potential harms as financial products" basically just sounds like "we think scams are ok to a large extent because we aren't even aware they are a problem"

it's all some real true believer nonsense

lih fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 30, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Who is doing all these vote 1 Eric Abetz signs in Tasmania it's hilarious.

Vote 1 for the totally-not-a-Liberal-senator Eric Abetz.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

why do people pronounce is kosh when its clearly cock, like how lots of people pronounce compass as cum pass

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Labor's latest policy announcement: increase house prices by 40%.

It's not going to help people get in houses, just sell them at inflated prices.

lih
May 15, 2013

structural reform is off the table because of last election so all labor can do re: housing affordability is the same as the government's lovely policy just better targeted lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Labor's gonna win and then masks off 2019 platform when in government.

You'll see!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We need the government to commit strongly to massively increasing the stock of public housing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

We need the government to commit strongly to massively increasing the stock of public housing.

Albo already promised 30k new public houses.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Labor's gonna win and then masks off 2019 platform when in government.

You'll see!

Cosplaying as a Twitter drip isn't a great bit

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

https://greens.org.au/housing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bowmore posted:

Cosplaying as a Twitter drip isn't a great bit

But it'll give us all some nice nostalgia after Elon puts Tucker Carlson on the board and makes it so you're only allowed see the tweets you're not allowed to see in Germany.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Albo's really going to do it, isn't he? He's absolutely going to do it.

lose another election to scomo, i mean

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Albo already promised 30k new public houses.

Do you think this will solve the problem?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's 30k more houses for low and vulnerable communities that wouldn't exist under the Liberals, so in terms of impacts I would rather see it happen than not?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Labor are cooked. Lib teal supermajority

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.alp.org.au/events/campaign-launch-1may

Here's the campaign launch livestream for the politically tragic lurkers and alcoholic amateur twitterati.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

https://www.alp.org.au/events/campaign-launch-1may

Here's the campaign launch livestream for the politically tragic lurkers and alcoholic amateur twitterati.

ew

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh yeah Pauline's post about her cartoon was removed from various social media platforms at the request of the AEC, because it a scene of Wong and Albo planning voter fraud and outright claimed Gillard won 2010 on the back of voter fraud . "Sometimes the truth hurts, so I won't be taking down the cartoon on any social media platform," she said.

She's going full brain worms?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

going?

lih
May 15, 2013

the australian far right has loved made up claims of voter fraud for ages but trump really sent them into overdrive, if the liberals lose the election/hanson doesn't win her senate seat she'll be loudly claiming it was stolen

labor has slightly one-upped the government's increased PBS subsidy - $12.50 reduction in prescription costs instead of $10

lih fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 1, 2022

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/BlakeJohnson/status/1520646499264212992?t=nsGEK2tENtv9ZEf5IAjaRg&s=19

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz4IkzM217U

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Sat down to go over the federal/local postal ballots just now, and holy crap are there a lot of anti-vaxxers on there. Never a good sign when "millionaire property developer" is the sane, safe option once past 1 Greens 2 Labor. I'm used to seeing the six-million right-wing splinter parties, but this is my first time seeing it as a citizen so it's extra depressing this time!

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/labor-leads-polling-at-the-campaign-s-halfway-mark-20220501-p5ahiv.html

new resolve poll has greens on 15%!!! the bandtslide is real!!!

heavy disclaimer that resolve is the most-likely-to-be-poo poo poll and i do not trust these numbers at all

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

meteor9 posted:

Sat down to go over the federal/local postal ballots just now, and holy crap are there a lot of anti-vaxxers on there. Never a good sign when "millionaire property developer" is the sane, safe option once past 1 Greens 2 Labor. I'm used to seeing the six-million right-wing splinter parties, but this is my first time seeing it as a citizen so it's extra depressing this time!

in my seat LNP 3 is the reasonable option over LDP,UAP,PHON and IMOP. wild

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

It's 30k more houses for low and vulnerable communities that wouldn't exist under the Liberals, so in terms of impacts I would rather see it happen than not?

will the land for these houses be forcibly taken from the rich?

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
if the greens wasn't such a toxic brand thanks to rupert murdoch and the media maybe this world wouldnt be hell i hold david kosh 'cocky' directly accountable

vote 1 grens

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
beet you logged into the wrong account again

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i have paid this forum enough money to buy 6 votes

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/labor-leads-polling-at-the-campaign-s-halfway-mark-20220501-p5ahiv.html

new resolve poll has greens on 15%!!! the bandtslide is real!!!

heavy disclaimer that resolve is the most-likely-to-be-poo poo poll and i do not trust these numbers at all

Big lol that the first time Resolve deigns to do a 2PP question, surprise surprise, Labor still has the same huge lead over the Liberals as in every other poll

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Newspoll out, unchanged at 53:47

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This is going to be brutal lol

lih
May 15, 2013

freebooter posted:

Big lol that the first time Resolve deigns to do a 2PP question, surprise surprise, Labor still has the same huge lead over the Liberals as in every other poll

they didn't actually, fairfax just did the calculation themselves with last election preferences (this gives better results historically)

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
In her stickied video in her main twitter feed she proudly states she's a "lifelong swinging voter". At which elections can one have voted for the LNP in her lifetime and be worthy of being elected as a climate independent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

she's specifically claimed she voted liberal in 2016 because of turnbull, and labor in 2019