Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Interestingly, found this older list of incursions into Finnish airspace, in Finnish though:

In the period, a good half of all incursions were by Russian planes. Also, all of those were in the Gulf of Finland. That is the explanation I have heard, they fly back and forth between Kaliningrad and St. Petersburg and the corridor between Finland and Estonia is narrow. Either it gives plausible deniability or it's just incompetence, but in any case this stuff happens and has been reported too for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

d64 posted:

Interestingly, found this older list of incursions into Finnish airspace, in Finnish though:

In the period, a good half of all incursions were by Russian planes. Also, all of those were in the Gulf of Finland. That is the explanation I have heard, they fly back and forth between Kaliningrad and St. Petersburg and the corridor between Finland and Estonia is narrow. Either it gives plausible deniability or it's just incompetence, but in any case this stuff happens and has been reported too for decades.

Now I want to know, how that Belgian plane wound up there.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

mobby_6kl posted:

They heard about it but it never made it into Ukraine due to sabotage by a Nazi bridge

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1519952476966899712?t=nhmrknq-U1BU-1C6PgfQHA&s=19

Heh, they Storrowed.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now I want to know, how that Belgian plane wound up there.

Belgium is one of the countries delivering a NATO air presence in the Baltics.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1520495256076271624
https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1520495260471803909

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alchenar posted:

Nah the Russian doctrine is 'just bait out the enemy counter-battery and take the hit, and then smash it with our own fires'. It's not quite callousness, an awful lot of Russian military doctrine has a core assumption that the optimal move is to take risks and accept losses to locate the enemy and fix and neutralise them. In the long run it's okay for the enemy to shoot you once if you make sure he can't shoot you a second or third time.

So what's the proper play for Ukrainian artillery, shoot and scoot? Can you pull that off quickly enough with towed howitzers?

Seems like something that the self-propelled artillery would be critical for. The Panzerhaubitze 2000 can put out 10 shots in less than a minute then GTFO.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comments/ufypsl/a_canadian_is_lying_about_being_in_ukraine_has/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

There's some credible evidence that twitter poster is a scam account - I'm not educated enough to say definitively but might warrant being cautious in posting them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

Is there consensus on when Russia would have preferred to launch the invasion if not for China's demand that they wait until after the Olympics? Their initial timetable seems like it's going to just *keep* tripping them up indefinitely in terms of seasons/weather.

I cannot say I’ve seen one, though for the hypothetical where Kyiv falls in days their choice of dates probably got just slightly shafted by the Olympics at most. For the current scenario, any date before May is probably stupid, in my opinion, and the right theatrics would be to deliver the rambling war declaration during May 9 parade, after which you move as uninhibited as possible for several months, and then solidify your positions when the weather turns bad.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I agree. I'm frankly a bit suspicious about that account too. I haven't followed it or looked into it deeply but something feels very off about it.

Also, sharing such specific details about an 'operation', including that they 'changed into civilian clothes' feels a bad idea, and not something someone legit would do.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Capri Sunrise posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comments/ufypsl/a_canadian_is_lying_about_being_in_ukraine_has/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

There's some credible evidence that twitter poster is a scam account - I'm not educated enough to say definitively but might warrant being cautious in posting them.

Jesus the photo of proof he uploaded was a canadian passport in front of a camp stove.

You know, something that only exists in Ukraine.

I didn't realize he was asking for money either. That takes this beyond "stupid larp" to normal rear end criminal fraud.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is l becoming war equivalent of r/relationships or r/tifu. I guess the equilibrium must be restored now that FSB letter #69 through #420 didn’t sell well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tigey posted:

I agree. I'm frankly a bit suspicious about that account too. I haven't followed it or looked into it deeply but something feels very off about it.

Also, sharing such specific details about an 'operation', including that they 'changed into civilian clothes' feels a bad idea, and not something someone legit would do.

Also mentioned that they got Russian uniforms to let them sneak around. The sort of thing someone writing a fictional account would think is a cool demonstration of how smart their roleplay character is being and brag about but anyone actually involved would know is a monumentally stupid idea or at the very least know not to broadcast it.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I particularly like that he 1)thinks Kherson looks like this and has cobbled streets 2) modern ukrainians wear trilbys 3) if he is in a warzone apperently had time to steal an artists photo and put a filter on it for illustrative purposes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PederP posted:

Belgium is one of the countries delivering a NATO air presence in the Baltics.

Plus NATO has exercises in the Baltic. That one happened in Åland's airspace which is a bit far from Estonia but it probably was on transit.

What's odder is the French airforces cargo plane in Lapland, but again probably a NATO exercise in northern Norway.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tigey posted:

It's convenient for Russians, though. All those civilian bodies in the streets of Bucha and elsewhere? Nazi saboteurs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
In real news, something happened to what might be an ammo warehouse in Belgorod oblast, Russia (:nws: --- smoke and explosions)

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1520746024427569154

Also apparently some bridge in Kursk oblast had some structural difficulties, haven't seen any pictures of it (https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/05/1/7343301/).
No reports of explosions or such, so I wonder if they drove too much heavy military stuff over it or something.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
There’s rumours going around in Russian speaking internet that Gerasimov was present too when general #10 got killed, specifically that he got wounded in right thigh and is not doing too well.

Probably something that can’t be hidden for too long if it really happened.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

So what's the proper play for Ukrainian artillery, shoot and scoot? Can you pull that off quickly enough with towed howitzers?

Seems like something that the self-propelled artillery would be critical for. The Panzerhaubitze 2000 can put out 10 shots in less than a minute then GTFO.

SP artillery gets you your rapid reaction shoot-and-scoot capability. What you do with towed howitzers is set up at extreme range and minimise the opportunity to shoot at you. The Ukranians get to do this because the Russians are attacking, which means there's always going to be opportunities where the Russians have taken a town and you can drop shells on their guys on the front line without being shot back. Otherwise, you deny targets. Have as thin a frontline as possible, flood the front area with MANPADS so you can shoot down Russian drones, etc. We've seen the Ukranians being inventive and using small drones to drop grenades; which is not going to deliver critical impacts but all adds up to the attrition.

You don't beat an army that has 2000 tanks by destroying one or two a day. On the other hand you can't conquer a country of 600,000km2 by advancing 1-2km2 a day. One of those numbers just runs out first.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gay picnic defence posted:

This will be where the NATO intel gathering is going to make a huge difference. Being able to listen in on unsecured commands saying "move the guns here" would be an absolute godsend. Even if they can't read the messages due to encryption they can probably pinpoint the physical location of the source and be able to tell what type of unit it is based on the frequency used. Drones can be sent to the general area to confirm and walk in the shots.

Encryption? From my understanding the Russian Army has very little forward encrypted battlefield communications systems, and units are still using civilian radios and easily interceptable Ukrainian sim’s cell phones to communicate for multiple reasons that include things like:

Incompetence:

For example their encrypted communication systems relying on the very cell tower infrastructure they blew up on purpose when the invasion opened.

Corruption:

Brand new battlefield communication equipment literally not working because of graft in the procurement process.

Equipment losses:

Working modern battlefield communication equipment captured or destroyed in the openning stages of the war.

As far as the Russian doctrine of dedicated counter battery fire goes… most modern armies use a similar doctrine, whereby a portion of emplaced artillery is specifically assigned to counter battery fire, so this is not unique to the Russian Army.

I would also posit that this is not working to well for the Russia Army given that 2/3rds of the daily combat videos available on the internet from Ukraine are demonstrations of precision Ukrainian artillery fire hitting Russian positions, command posts, or individual combat vehicles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Stubb Dogg posted:

There’s rumours going around in Russian speaking internet that Gerasimov was present too when general #10 got killed, specifically that he got wounded in right thigh and is not doing too well.

Probably something that can’t be hidden for too long if it really happened.

There was some sort of military VIP thing in Belgorod today, but it sounded more like someone leaving rather than being medevac'd:
https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1520744419536048128

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If anyone cares I just quickly went down a Putin health problems rabbit hole and it doesn't look like Idiopathic Parkinson's, and I diagnose that frequently. of course it's not possible to exclusively rule in or out without putting your hands on him and judging his response to medication, which obviously we'll never know the answer to.

There is SOMETHING neurological going on, and he could be in the Parkinson's Plus category of things, and stress makes all neurological conditions worse.

He does look like he's on steroids with the puffy face. That doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Also apparently some bridge in Kursk oblast had some structural difficulties, haven't seen any pictures of it (https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/05/1/7343301/).
No reports of explosions or such, so I wonder if they drove too much heavy military stuff over it or something.

This purports to be a photo of the blown bridge but :shrug:
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1520740546448396288?s=20&t=FvyKUOuz9cUcEYg2xz76Xw

Edit: And article confirming - https://ria.ru/20220501/most-1786447901.html

Translation:

quote:

In the Kursk region, a bridge on a railway freight line partially collapsed, Governor Roman Starovoit said .
“Today, at about 11:20 am, a partial collapse of the bridge structures was discovered on the 67th kilometer of the Sudzha- Sosnovy Bor railway,” the head of the region said in his Telegram channel.
According to the official, there were no casualties as a result of the incident, and there is no threat to the life and health of residents.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 1, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Shifty Pony posted:

Also mentioned that they got Russian uniforms to let them sneak around. The sort of thing someone writing a fictional account would think is a cool demonstration of how smart their roleplay character is being and brag about but anyone actually involved would know is a monumentally stupid idea or at the very least know not to broadcast it.

At a minimum that invalidates any protection you may have had under the Geneva Convention, and turns you from a lawful combatant/belligerent into a spy.

Not that things would go great for a Canadian captured by the Russian Army bearing arms for the Ukrainian Army, but being captured in a Russian Uniform would mean you could be treated as a spy and you lose all protections, other than you are entitled to a ‘trial’ under the Russian military law, of the Geneva Conventions—the Geneva Conventions specifically and excluded people captured under these conditions from being eligible for POW status.

This means you also lose the right to life guaranteed to POWs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In Finnish news, Russian search engine company Yandex's data center in Mäntsälä, Finland has been cut off from electric network. They are currently operating on their own diesel generators because so far no power company is willing to sell them electricity.

For the city of Mäntsälä this is a bit of a problem, because the data center's excess heat was being used in district heating, producing 70% of the local heating. This will be replaced by the end of the year with a new incineration plant that uses wood pellets.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

If anyone cares I just quickly went down a Putin health problems rabbit hole and it doesn't look like Idiopathic Parkinson's, and I diagnose that frequently. of course it's not possible to exclusively rule in or out without putting your hands on him and judging his response to medication, which obviously we'll never know the answer to.

There is SOMETHING neurological going on, and he could be in the Parkinson's Plus category of things, and stress makes all neurological conditions worse.

He does look like he's on steroids with the puffy face. That doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

yeah this is the right diagnosis cause just look at the vids

putin will fall out of view due to health issues soon and then the invasion will end

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If and that's a big if, Putin has a serious illness that will completely incapacitate him next week, that won't end the war. Anyone who takes over won't be able to withdraw from Ukraine without shooting themselves twice in the back of the head.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1520732074902274048

Edit: :nws: --- pastry dicks

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Morrow posted:

If and that's a big if, Putin has a serious illness that will completely incapacitate him next week, that won't end the war. Anyone who takes over won't be able to withdraw from Ukraine without shooting themselves twice in the back of the head.

isn't putin the one who ordered the war? i mean recently there was a report he was taking a more direct role in it. why wouldn't it end?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Speaking of Belgian AF wounding up in strange places, a Belgian military plane just left Moscow: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=44f684

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

are the pro russian morons on the bird website getting dumber or just louder?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deviant posted:

are the pro russian morons on the bird website getting dumber or just louder?

Gotta be both when the war gets desperate

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goon Boots posted:

isn't putin the one who ordered the war? i mean recently there was a report he was taking a more direct role in it. why wouldn't it end?

Because his death won't change the security picture in Europe, or Russia's view of it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1520751923355398144?s=21&t=wko_XJEXz9Au6iMTgklxvQ

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I read this yesterday, and it was pure garbage, stdh fanfic. From the start they were very active on Twitter given they claimed to be on the front which was odd. Reading through their tweets again they seem to be posting on Twitter based on telegram information which is faster/first with news. They are not raising money directly but for some other org who is making steel plates. Now that org is trying to say they are legit given the lack of vetting.

It’s turned into a kind of witch hunt where people are vetting each other as legit now. Super messy Twitter drama.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1520529666150440960https://mobile.twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/1520755028948144129
https://mobile.twitter.com/Harri_Est/status/1520549211703496706

I was somewhat in the believe camp but that fanfic post put me firmly in the fake account camp at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Just saw a link on facebook to a Le Monde article "why is Russia having so much difficulty advancing in Ukraine?"

Out of curiosity I checked out the comments.

A surprising amount of people were peddling arguments like "because Russia doesn't want to annex Ukraine" and "They have other goals..." and a bit further on some of them explained that actually, Russia's special military operation is to destroy "secret NATO bases" in Ukraine

One clown said "if Russia wanted to annex Ukraine, they would have invaded Kyiv to cut off the snake's head..." as if they didn't try to do that and failed.

I just don't understand how it's possible to live in a completely alternate reality like this. Secret NATO bases? They don't think NATO would just engage in open warfare if Russia found + attacked NATO bases in Ukraine?

gently caress!!

There are a lot of takes like that that even extend to the forums here. One good one I saw was “if Russians are committing genocide in Bucha then why does Kyiv still have power and water?” It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that the kind of info campaigns that influenced chuds on Facebook are just as effective on other groups of people but it’s still shocking to see.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 1, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

davecrazy posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

Trump, Chomsky or western analysts and pundits who believe escalation has no consequences?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

the white hand posted:

Because his death won't change the security picture in Europe, or Russia's view of it.

i suppose you might be right

it just seems that if the bad guy is gone then there's no reason for a war anymore

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Convictions, ideology, and a coherent world view

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Just saw a link on facebook to a Le Monde article "why is Russia having so much difficulty advancing in Ukraine?"

Out of curiosity I checked out the comments.

A surprising amount of people were peddling arguments like "because Russia doesn't want to annex Ukraine" and "They have other goals..." and a bit further on some of them explained that actually, Russia's special military operation is to destroy "secret NATO bases" in Ukraine

One clown said "if Russia wanted to annex Ukraine, they would have invaded Kyiv to cut off the snake's head..." as if they didn't try to do that and failed.

I just don't understand how it's possible to live in a completely alternate reality like this. Secret NATO bases? They don't think NATO would just engage in open warfare if Russia found + attacked NATO bases in Ukraine?

gently caress!!

Tiny Timbs posted:

There are a lot of takes like that that even extend to the forums here. One good one I saw was “if Russians are committing genocide in Bucha then why does Kyiv still have power and water?” It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that the kind of info campaigns that influenced chuds on Facebook are just as effective on other groups of people but it’s still shocking to see.

Yeah I'll take a sixer for posting about posters to say you don't have to go very far to find these takes. I read a page or two of the CSPAM thread every now and then and it's a completely different universe over there where Ukraine is run entirely by Nazi warlords, Zelensky is only fighting Russia because if he doesn't the Nazis will assassinate him, the Ukraine army is on the ropes, and this whole thing is entirely NATO's fault after all since they are one of the most evil organization to ever exist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'll never understand the phenomenon of 'The peaceful path is to allow Ukraine to fall under Russian occupation.'

Do they think Russia wouldn't have killed tens of thousands just because? Do the Ukrainians not get agency?

Is it the Neville chamberlain thing all over again, or do all these people honestly believe the Russian propaganda or that the US is always evil therefore opposition is always the moral choice?

It is really loving creepy and unsettling how many people pretend to think this way ot actually think this way.