Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Growing Rites is 20 bux.

JackDarko posted:

Ziatora the Incinirator this is the first card that I was interested in, however, from what I understand 6 converted mana cost may be too high for a commander. Flinging damage seems like it could be really fun though especially if I do it with a dice roll.

If flinging damage at random people sounds fun, maybe look at Vial Smasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Ok, cool. So, let's start from the top.

Thanks, I'll have to take a good long look at this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JackDarko posted:

Ziatora the Incinirator this is the first card that I was interested in, however, from what I understand 6 converted mana cost may be too high for a commander. Flinging damage seems like it could be really fun though especially if I do it with a dice roll.

Six is a reasonable cmc if you dedicate towards it. My brother's been playing Narset, Enlightened Master since 2014.

Black and Red are short term mana colors, and green has its ramp, so if you don't mind eating poo poo when Dark Ritual gets Miscast sometimes, it's attainable.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
6 mana in Jund colors is utterly trivial if you leverage their abilities to make mana. Ziatora even makes more mana for you if you build around its ability to sac stuff for crowd control (even if you're sacrificing a 1/1 token it's still a punch to the face or a dead mana dork) and make treasures.

Ziatora's cool.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Why do I find stupid tribal decks so tempting? Now that I pulled a Giada I’m SO interested in building angels tribal.

Anyone have a recommendation for an Angel deck that isn’t complete poo poo?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Ziatora it is then! I’ll do my research on Jund and figure out a deck and mana base. Exciting stuff.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TotalHell posted:

Why do I find stupid tribal decks so tempting? Now that I pulled a Giada I’m SO interested in building angels tribal.

Kaalia/ geddon

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TotalHell posted:

Angels are pretty good OP

I have a UW Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate deck

I am also intensely sad that they've finally, finally printed an Angel Rogue but it's Esper

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Had a fun party last night with 12 people playing games, some of us did precons +25$ so that was a fun framework to work in.

Jetmir went OFF my first game with him, did 200+ damage toreach opponent just one after another :getin:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Growing Rites is 20 bux.

O-oh.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/first-look-pride-across-multiverse-2022-05-02

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
holy poo poo! that's... the best card I've ever seen!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lmao

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bearscape easily stole the show.

E:

Omg the flavor text, lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
im crying, these cards are so amazing and so lovingly done. hats off wotc, your naked commercial cynicism has finally laser targeted me

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They need to make some tokens for that card.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

im crying, these cards are so amazing and so lovingly done. hats off wotc, your naked commercial cynicism has finally laser targeted me

lol gonna be great if it becomes the new pentagram unholy strength

do parents even still have mtg on their radar?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Not really into the card selection but I love the art. I want Heartbeat of Spring and Alesha!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cowards were too scared to make Chandra x Nissa an OTP but they gave us Saheeli x Huatli.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Azza Bamboo posted:

They need to make some tokens for that card.

Just use promo photos of Bert Kreischer

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I'm normally a player who likes power level ~ 2-5/10 decks, but would like to put together a "10" just to have in my back pocket. Can anyone recommend a commander who is top-tier but has a control playstyle? I think I read awhile back about Circu being pretty good but haven't looked into it much. Thanks!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That... really depends on what you define as a "10". If you're going all out on cEDH, it's worth noting that "control" isn't so common as the "draw-go" control styles of other formats-- instead, "control" in this aspect is more along the lines of hard stax. For that, there are commanders like Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Urza, Tymna the Weaver/Tana the Bloodsower (aka Blood Pod), etc. And as cEDH has shifted toward a more all-out "turbo" combo meta, there have been a handful of "turbo" stax decks like Winota (abuses Winota's ability to barf out a bunch of staxy creatures and win via combat or Kiki-Jiki combo) or Sythis (which I personally play, but there's many directions you could take that deck).

But that's cEDH. What really matters more is what you'd define as a 10 in context of your personal playgroup/meta. Wouldn't be too fun to bring a nuke to a gunfight, for anyone involved.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There isn’t really a default “control” commander at the top end of Commander because everyone has to be the cops to some degree. Setting out to police the table on your own is a losing proposition. You could start with Kess and 50 counter spells and removal but you’ll get demolished without a reliable way to win the game while suppressing your opponents.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Cowards were too scared to make Chandra x Nissa an OTP but they gave us Saheeli x Huatli.

Honestly better, imo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Smashing Link posted:

I'm normally a player who likes power level ~ 2-5/10 decks, but would like to put together a "10" just to have in my back pocket. Can anyone recommend a commander who is top-tier but has a control playstyle? I think I read awhile back about Circu being pretty good but haven't looked into it much. Thanks!

I just want to wheel back and ask why you think a creature that prevents you from playing duplicate cards would ever be good in a singleton format.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah for what Circu does do in Commander you would probably get a lot further with Oona.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have a Baral, Chief of Compliance deck that has a 100% win rate. The problem is I am not allowed to play it anymore lol.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

remigious posted:

I have a Baral, Chief of Compliance deck that has a 100% win rate. The problem is I am not allowed to play it anymore lol.

My Autumn's Veil + Boil combo has finally met a worthy opponent

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I love the tongue in cheek art and shipping of the different cards. That being said my cynicism reminds me that this is still Hasbro and draws my mind to that FoD video with John Goodman.

https://youtu.be/LSBFTKI-zIM

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The combination of the clouds and the actual bear in the background really brings it home

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

There isn’t really a default “control” commander at the top end of Commander because everyone has to be the cops to some degree. Setting out to police the table on your own is a losing proposition. You could start with Kess and 50 counter spells and removal but you’ll get demolished without a reliable way to win the game while suppressing your opponents.

The most control playstyle deck I have is really Pako. It has the ramp and card draw to actually just remove massive amounts of stuff, and also compact aggro options and super high cards quality.

Besides that, yeah, stax is the name of the game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There's also Nymris as a cEDH deck which I think is kind of nifty because it is actually designed to play draw-go as it draws cards by casting a spell each turn-- not only that, it's a card in the hand and another in the graveyard-- so you could also take it in a reanimation direction too if you wanted? idk

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/WdtTdGdpfkubELICGKefIQ

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Heath posted:

My Autumn's Veil + Boil combo has finally met a worthy opponent

Whoa I had to look up boil, somehow I have never encountered that before!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

remigious posted:

Whoa I had to look up boil, somehow I have never encountered that before!

Have you encountered Choke?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Batterypowered7 posted:

Have you encountered Choke?

Oh lord, no I haven’t. I play with a very casual group of friends and I’m definitely not going to make them aware of those cards.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't actually run that combo but I could be talked into it. (also Veil of Summer > Autumn's Veil, I forgot which was which)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

remigious posted:

Oh lord, no I haven’t. I play with a very casual group of friends and I’m definitely not going to make them aware of those cards.

There's also Boiling Seas, which is just Boil at Sorcery speed.

E:

Heath posted:

I don't actually run that combo but I could be talked into it. (also Veil of Summer > Autumn's Veil, I forgot which was which)

5C Hate Cards EDH

Great Sable Stag goooooo!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's also Boiling Seas, which is just Boil at Sorcery speed.

E:

5C Hate Cards EDH

Great Sable Stag goooooo!

I built a Sigarda, Host of Herons deck that is laser-focused on hating out Tergrid specifically, and it's a lot of fun to break out against just any ol' black deck. Although some of the cards are on reserve for her specifically because they're too mean (Drought, Nature's Wrath, Reclamation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Heath posted:

I built a Sigarda, Host of Herons deck that is laser-focused on hating out Tergrid specifically, and it's a lot of fun to break out against just any ol' black deck. Although some of the cards are on reserve for her specifically because they're too mean (Drought, Nature's Wrath, Reclamation)

Ok I can’t ever play against you because my main deck is Yawgmoth, who is obviously very sac happy :)