Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The militant antifa types really care about who owns twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Reminder that 2022 has been brought up all of two times now, and will be middle-aged by June.

I really don’t understand why he bothers when he seems so patently uninterested in the stories compared to more strips about whomever pissed him off more this week. It’s almost like Tinsley in that regard. Looking forward to a strip about him getting mad that the blue-haired, pierced teenager at the starbucks can’t him his change back fast enough.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems extremely foolish to try writing a long-term serialized narrative that depends on incorporating current events, but that’s the least objectionable thing about this strip by far. You have to go gag-a-day if you want to stay current about whatever’s in the news cycle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unless you're a literal Bill Cooper/Alex Jones style conspiracy theorist 'entertainment host' in which case all current events are one and the same as the Grand Narrative. It just means that this narrative isn't especially coherent or interesting to people who don't have nests of spiders for brains.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"The Tory Commons menagerie – From typing monkeys to crocodile tears, all Conservative animal life is here"

Sunday Telegraph:

Vladimir Putin 'poised to declare all-out war on Ukraine'

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That sounds like agriculture and animal husbandry, which in terms of civilization was a pretty big leap forwards...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Times:

Apparently advocating for the people in the house of commons to be dealt with using poisonous gases. Bit more radical than I was expecting from the Sunday Times.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well rats are terrific survivors and have correctly identified the existential threat facing Britain.:torygov:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But... she literally was violently persecuted. We just saw it with our own eyes! It just happened, right in front of us! She got angrily shouted down, at her job, in front of an entire class, for her beliefs! By someone using language that had to be swapped out with cartoon jargon because Ishida doesn't want to put any actual words to his direct accusations. She's not faking it, it just loving happened!

It's pretty cool that Ishida has so demonized his enemies that he sees crowds of people sobbing, wailing, terrified and absolutely miserable, and goes "hell yeah this rules". Just an utter void of compassion, because compassion is just a weapon THEY trick you into using so you'll be vulnerable to their agenda, I guess.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vib Rib posted:

But... she literally was violently persecuted. We just saw it with our own eyes! It just happened, right in front of us! She got angrily shouted down, at her job, in front of an entire class, for her beliefs! By someone using language that had to be swapped out with cartoon jargon because Ishida doesn't want to put any actual words to his direct accusations. She's not faking it, it just loving happened!

It's pretty cool that Ishida has so demonized his enemies that he sees crowds of people sobbing, wailing, terrified and absolutely miserable, and goes "hell yeah this rules". Just an utter void of compassion, because compassion is just a weapon THEY trick you into using so you'll be vulnerable to their agenda, I guess.

I mean, one of the core conceits of the right is that we all succeed or die on our own, and compassion is just a trap.

I once had an ancap tell me charities should be illegal, so that's the level of deficient we're coming from on some of these jackasses.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This is a great litmus test actually:
:anarchists: Charities attempt to plug the holes of governments and we shouldn't just accept them as the de-facto solution and expect nothing to be done by people in power.
:ancap: I literally can't think about anyone other than myself which I consider to be a strength of my character.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's the classic "if you care about something, you lose" argument. It's like the calm hitler, but with more :smuggo:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i certainly agree that the charities that are for-profit scams to enrich their CEOs and the charities that exist as tax loopholes for the ultra wealthy should be illegal

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, and even within the comic all she said was "some people identify as something outside of the gender binary and you're allowed to too" she didn't say they had to, she didn't say it was wrong to continue identifying as the gender they were assigned at birth if that was what they felt most comfortable doing, she just let the kids know that gender non-conformity existed and apparently that was enough to break the children's brains and turn them into zombies and thus that rando lady had to burst into the classroom and start screaming.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, and even within the comic all she said was "some people identify as something outside of the gender binary and you're allowed to too" she didn't say they had to, she didn't say it was wrong to continue identifying as the gender they were assigned at birth if that was what they felt most comfortable doing, she just let the kids know that gender non-conformity existed and apparently that was enough to break the children's brains and turn them into zombies and thus that rando lady had to burst into the classroom and start screaming.

It's definitely one of those comics where the punchline is actually "I'm already a shithead and believe this poo poo".

ETC: That is, one of those comics where you have to be a shithead to follow the "logic" of the "joke".

Neito fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

She's frightening our poor sweet little girls by telling them one day they'll forget who they are and think they're a boy.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

hmm

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Labor had their campaign launch in Perth yesterday. Anthony Albanese returns to the spotlight, launching Labor's election bid to win government (ABC anaylsis).

Broelman:

Warren Brown:

Former Labor leaders Paul Keating, Kevin Rudd and Bill Shorten (who is still in parliament) were at the launch (and just sat there and got referenced in speeches).

Knight:

Western Australian premier Mark McGowan gave an opening address at the Labor launch. He's the most popular state premier and last state election WA Labor effectively wiped the Liberals out to the point where they lost opposition party status to the Nationals.

Herbert:

Labor announces 'shared-equity' scheme for homebuyers ahead of Federal Election (ABC)

Leak, Son of Leak:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Perestroika posted:

The incredible thing here is how he doesn't adjust his aesthetic and visual language at all. The "free speech" monument is held in the same proto-fascist style as all the other previous government symbolism, which we were previously supposed to read as bad, hostile, and deceitful. Except now the text explicitly tells us "Actually, this is good now in this particular instance".

I legit thought he was going into the same “disinformation department” talking points all the other cartoonists are doing but no, the fascist monument is cool and good this time because it’s his side doing it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeah, because last week they were communazis. But now a meme lord is in charge.

Samuel L Jacksonly: A meme lord?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The disinformation thing is a waste of time because the right-wing propaganda machine is massive and going to outpace whatever Biden’s administration tries to do. And anyone who thinks the election was stolen is not going to be swayed by a government agency.

I guess maybe there’s value in reaching out to less-engaged moderates, but that doesn’t outweighs the damage it’ll do when the right inevitably takes back the white house and incorporates into said propaganda engine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pants Donkey posted:

The disinformation thing is a waste of time because the right-wing propaganda machine is massive and going to outpace whatever Biden’s administration tries to do. And anyone who thinks the election was stolen is not going to be swayed by a government agency.

I guess maybe there’s value in reaching out to less-engaged moderates, but that doesn’t outweighs the damage it’ll do when the right inevitably takes back the white house and incorporates into said propaganda engine.

Without googling, do you know what the disinformation thing is?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like the cartoons are more an ecstatic invocation or emotional frenzy at this point. Nobody reads newspapers and they will soon be dead. The cartoonists will soon be dead. Some may be young; I don't know.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ishida's reached the Asay point, where a teacher smiling and telling kids "you can be anything you want to be!" is just an obvious icon of sin. The daughter might need a second lesson though because she somehow took "you can identify as another gender, if that's what you want" to mean "one day you will spontaneously be another gender, and this somehow causes amnesia and loss of self!" I wonder, when the teacher told her she could grow up to be a scientist or doctor or even the President, did she run to her mom crying about how she'd one day wake up President and forget who she is?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
You could end up half-president/half-scientist!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Matt Davies

John Deering

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Jack Ohman

Michael Ramirez

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

:effort:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Are we bringing back the Wicker Man for stantis? Please bring the Wicker Man for stantis.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I AM GRANDO posted:

It seems extremely foolish to try writing a long-term serialized narrative that depends on incorporating current events, but that’s the least objectionable thing about this strip by far. You have to go gag-a-day if you want to stay current about whatever’s in the news cycle.

I wonder how Galatiansman (sp?) is doing right now. Going from Occupy protests to Benghazi over several years if strips, all being the same day in comic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Biden pulled the inflation lever again dammit. Could have held on spend, or tax, or maybe spend again, but nooooo.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Here's to Militant Apathy

Ted Rall posted:

The two-party system has infused American politics with a sick binary obsession. From environmentalism to food choices to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, we are constantly being told that we have to pick a side. In reality, of course, it’s totally OK to sit out these things.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

These Loss tributes have gotten out of hand, notice how the man once lying turned into Ted Rall

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trapezium Dave posted:

Woah, huge slam on vegan food outta nowhere. What did chickpeas ever do to you man?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Woah, huge slam on vegan food outta nowhere. What did chickpeas ever do to you man?

If they're chickpeas then why won't they blow me?

You've just been Rall'd.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

Haha nice swing to the war in Ukraine in that blurb. Subtle!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

If they're chickpeas then why won't they blow me?

You've just been Rall'd.

This lame joke was funnier than anything Rall's ever written

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Haha nice swing to the war in Ukraine in that blurb. Subtle!
Some would suggest that if one entity is attacking another, and you "sit it out", you are inherently choosing the side of the aggressor.
Some, but not Ted Rall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trapezium Dave posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I was sitting here going "Oh Ted, you hosed up your message by having the last panel be between simplistic binary traps or independent thought, implying the correct answer was to sit out and to not think about politics at all" but then I read his blurb and realized that was the intended message.

So, uh, good job Ted.