Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m assuming that next week’s episode is just a clip show but the live action preview was interesting at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

I’m assuming that next week’s episode is just a clip show but the live action preview was interesting at least

This is what I'm thinking, too. The narrator's commentary during the preview just screamed clip show.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

King of Solomon posted:

We got more than just WezenGammamon, we got Canoweissmon tonight, too.

The way the level 4s work makes a lot more sense with this guy in mind. I'm curious what the level 6 is going to be, and also when we're going to get it. I'm thinking probably BT11, but I honestly have no idea.

Does anyone else think that this reveal, along with the other two Perfects, shows that the crew are going to evolve to Perfect level soon in the show proper. While I know that the card game division and the anime division don't necessarily coordinate, it feels weird that they're putting what some would consider major spoilers for the anime in the upcoming set (yes I'm aware of the DIM cards already spoiling the evos but I don't recall if they've come out yet or not).

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I gotta give props to Ghost Game. Not only did it portray being the target of an obsessive stalker's 'love' as a scary and awful experience, it also didn't have Yuto do crap like capitulate to Ajataramon's confession or apologize for not seeing her feelings. No, dude was uncomfortable as hell from start to finish and barely even looked at her. Hell, he never wanted to talk to Ajataramon either except to ask her what the gently caress she was doing, or an alarmed cry when she died.

It's extremely satisfying that Ghost Game doesn't romanticize getting stalked and teaches viewers that you sure as hell don't need to come to an understanding with your stalker or anything.

Also, one thing I'm kinda noticing is that there's some Digimon fans who seem to think that the crew doesn't 'win' battles all that much? Like, fighting a Digimon until they chase it off or have one of the kids talk it down somehow doesn't count as a victory for them?? That Betelgammamon is somehow a jobber from this arbitrary rule??? :psyduck:

It's like the fact that Ghost Game's approach of treating Digimon as an actual race who are refugees in the human world, and not just monster fodder for the protags to kill like in Adventure 2020, has sailed way above these fans' heads.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Are they also missing the fact that almost every Digimon the team has encountered thus far has been a Perfect level? Digimon's power levels have been fairly consistent, so I'd say that the fact that the kids aren't dead yet speaks volumes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Weird thins is I don't recall anyone bringing that up, either as an argument or counterargument for the kids 'losing'. They just like to complain about how Hiro and the others don't aim to kill even though 'these Digimons' actions were evil and thus deserve to be killed for it.' Yeah, some Digimon like Phelesmon or the Weedmon leader are going to be problems down the line but it just feels unhealthy to be so bloodthirsty.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just started Ghost game today and I like that they just befriend so many of the foes. It's basically all the better parts of Adventure/02/Tamers were those because it let The Real Bad Guys have some weight. It's what the Digimon Story games do for most of the cases. You just stop whatever misunderstanding or bad tempered guy and send them on their way and that's fine. Hell Ghost game hewing more toward Cyber Sleuth tone has been a boon for the franchise.

Also Jellymon is a weirdo.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

amigolupus posted:

Weird thins is I don't recall anyone bringing that up, either as an argument or counterargument for the kids 'losing'. They just like to complain about how Hiro and the others don't aim to kill even though 'these Digimons' actions were evil and thus deserve to be killed for it.' Yeah, some Digimon like Phelesmon or the Weedmon leader are going to be problems down the line but it just feels unhealthy to be so bloodthirsty.

These people also seem to be missing the fact that the cast is ramping up in power and ability and are being put over. There is no way to read the fight with Ajatarmon as ending in anything other than a straight victory for the heroes, putting aside how the conflict finally resolved and going entirely based on the Digimon fighting they clearly beat her to within inch of her life. You have every single shorthand sign of injury in anime being applied to her, wincing, heavy breathing, pained voice lines, slower dialogue, the whole nine yards. You could genuinely argue what happened next happens only because Ajatarmon lost so badly she honestly thought there was no alternative.

And again, that keeps happening if you go back through the last few months of non-Gulus episodes. Episode 23: they shot down a satellite in orbit. Episode 22: They DID figure out a way to smash up Skull Greymon. Episode 20: Gammamon beat the crap out of Sabirdramon and Dark Lizamon in a 2v1 fight. Episode 19: when they fought Piccolomon with two adults they overpowered him and set him on fire. Episode 18: Petermon breaks his sword on Wezen Gammamon and gets blasted out of the air effortlessly. Episode 17: Tesla Jellymon overpowers Frozomon in an incredibly good scene and brings him down. Episode 16: Jureimon runs away after they blow off one of his arms, with no indication the cast can't just keep going and smash him up more.

And pay attention to those levels, Petermon the Adult Digimon is completely powerless and utterly overwhelmed by the heroes. He couldn't land a clean hit even with every advantage, and once he ran out of human shields he got so thrashed it wasn't even a fight. Similarly, Sabirdramon and Dark Lizamon who are combat ready Adult Digimon lose a handicap match against Gammamon decisively. It's apparent from the framing of all these fights that the main Digimon are actually really strong seeing that they can take Perfects head-on and WIN. And that isn't even getting to the way the cast have consistently shown themselves as capable time and time again. As the show goes on they figure out what's happening faster, respond more decisively, make better decisions, and demonstrably have more tools and more allies they can rely on.

If your only metric of power is kill count then yeah, I guess you would think the Ghost Game characters aren't that strong, but if you're that blinkered it's on you and I'm just gonna laugh at you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Tinkermon
Rookie | Virus | Fairy

[On Play] 1 of you opponent's level 5 or lower Digimon gains <Security Attack -1> until your opponent's turn ends.

quote:

Darcmon
Champion | Vaccine | Angel

Inherited: [When Attacking] (Once Per Turn) 1 of your opponent's Digimon gains <Security Attack -1> until your opponent's turn ends.

quote:

Venusmon
Mega | Vaccine | Shaman/Olympos XII

[When Evolving] All of your opponent's Digimon gain <Security Attack -1> until the next time your opponent's turn ends
[Opponent's Turn] All of your opponent's Digimon with <Security Attack> cannot attack this Digimon, and their [When Attacking] and [When Evolving] effects do not activate

quote:

Healing Therapy

[Main] Give 1 of your opponent's Digimon <Security Attack -1> until the next time your opponent's turn ends. If you have [Venusmon] in play, give 3 of your opponent's Digimon instead
[Security] Activate this card's [Main] effect

Yellow has stuns now? Neat.

I can’t say the whole line is hugely strong, but it’s interesting design

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

Yellow has stuns now? Neat.

I can’t say the whole line is hugely strong, but it’s interesting design

I got to thinking about this a bit after I first saw these cards, but when are red, green, and purple going to get actual defensive tools? With blockers being largely irrelevant these days, they're just sitting ducks. I guess purple has a ton of removal.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

King of Solomon posted:

I got to thinking about this a bit after I first saw these cards, but when are red, green, and purple going to get actual defensive tools? With blockers being largely irrelevant these days, they're just sitting ducks. I guess purple has a ton of removal.

Green has access to stun in Rafflesimon and effects that keep cards suspended, red has a good deal of removal, and they both have a focus on getting pieces off the board by just attacking them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

Green has access to stun in Rafflesimon and effects that keep cards suspended, red has a good deal of removal, and they both have a focus on getting pieces off the board by just attacking them.

Rafflesimon is really outdated at this point, but I can at least kinda see the argument for the effects that keep cards suspended. I think my issue there is that effect is rare. Like, you can see it on Argomon Lv6, MegaGargomon, and I guess Puppetmon, and that's it. Meanwhile, Yellow has a whole line of Security Attack -1 and a bunch of recovery, Blue has stun for days, and Black...well, black supports its blockers, I guess.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Purple's defensive tool is you get attacked and then you have more cards in your trash to play with. That and Retaliation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

King of Solomon posted:

Sounds to me that is more a matter of blockers needing a buff in some form than anything

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds to me that is more a matter of blockers needing a buff in some form than anything

This is also a valid solution, yeah.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
He’s here… the man with the best theme song in Xros Wars

quote:

Baalmon
Ultimate | Free | Wizard/Bagra Army

[When Attacking] You may trash up to 3 cards from the top of your deck.
[On Deletion] If you have 10 or more cards in your trash, you may play 1 [Beelzemon] from your trash without paying its memory cost.

quote:

Beelzemon
Mega | Virus | Demon Lord/Xros Heart

[Digivolve: 3 from lv.5 with [Xros Heart] in traits]
[On Play] [When Digivolving] You may trash 3 cards from the top of your deck. Then for every 10 cards in your trash, delete 1 of your opponent's level 4 or lower Digimon.
-----
Inherited: [End of Attack] (Once Per Turn) Gain 1 memory for every 10 cards in your trash.
Really they fit best in a dedicated Beelzemon deck (the Beelzemon inherited effect is End of Attack so that it doesn’t miss the trigger from Ai & Mako digivolving a Beelzemon into Burst Mode on attack), but Xros Heart Beelzemon lets you pick play X4B and X5B if you want.

Oh yeah here’s X4B

quote:

Shoutmon X4B BT10-012 U
Ultimate | Data | Composite / Xros Heart

<Armor Purge>

[On Play] [When Digivolve] You may put 1 Digimon card with [Xros Heart] in its traits from your hand or tamer to the bottom of this Digimon's digivolution cards. Then, when this Digimon has [Beelzemon] in its digivolution cards, return 2 cards with [Xros Heart] in its traits from your trash to your hand.

[(DigiXros -2) [Shoutmon X4] x [Beelzemon]]
It lets you recover a bit if your fusion materials end up in the trash, other than that I can’t really see someone putting this in what’s already going to be a pretty tight decklist

quote:

Oblivion Cannon BT10-108 U

When this card is trashed from your deck, return this card to your hand.

[Main] Delete 1 of your opponent's Lv.6 or lower Digimon. If your trash has 10 or more cards, add 1 to the maximum level of the Digimon you can choose with this effect.
---
[Security] Activate this cards [Main] effect.
It’s decent removal, not much to say here

The cards here are flavorful and can fit into a slightly older deck, so that’s nice. I’m mostly happy it’s cards for a Beelzemon deck that aren’t going to be pretty expensive. No, the expensive card is going to be the Wizardmon Promo from a recent power-up pack

The line for Beelzemon in ReArise was Impmon>Wizardmon>Baalmon>Beelzemon, iirc

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Impmon > Wizarmon > Baalmon > Beelzebumon is considered the canon Impmon line nowadays, the Impmon DIM Card also uses it, replacing the older Impmon > Meramon > DeathMeramon > Beelzebumon with something that makes significantly more sense (though of course, Baalmon didn't exist during Tamers).

The Baalmon/Beelzebumon cards are pretty neat. Baalmon can play Beelzebumon from Trash and Beelzebumon can't evolve cheaply from Baalmon (he evolves from Xros Heart, Baalmon is Bagra Army) since that wasn't an evolution but a rebirth in the anime. Beelzebumon also has Sand Zone behind him, the Zone where Baalmon came from and where he became Beelzebumon. Unrelated, but the art is so drat pretty too, and it's the first time I realized Baalmon has Beelzebumon's third eye.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's the same memory cost to Evo from Baalmon or a Xros Heart

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shortmon | Data | Food

Weddinmon | Vaccine | Fairy

Some delicious cakes from the Xros Wars manga

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Welp, the first secret rare of BT10 has been revealed! And it's...

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1522176782178283520

quote:

Shoutmon King Ver.
Champion | Data | Small Dragon-Type / Xros Heart
This card/Digimon's name is also treated as being 'Shoutmon'.
[On Play] You may return a card with DigiXros conditions from your Trash to your hand. When you perform a DigiXros this turn, this Digimon can replace 1 of the materials.
<Material Save 1>
[DigiXros -2] One 'Xros Heart' Digimon
Inheritable: [Your Turn] While this Digimon has 'Shoutmon' in its name, DP +2000.

Kinda underwhelming. It's no doubt extremely helpful if you're playing a dedicated Xros Heart deck, but it's a little sad this is a Secret Rare.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

Welp, the first secret rare of BT10 has been revealed! And it's...

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1522176782178283520

Kinda underwhelming. It's no doubt extremely helpful if you're playing a dedicated Xros Heart deck, but it's a little sad this is a Secret Rare.

Thetoughestbean and I have been talking in discord, and we both agree that this honestly isn't that helpful in a Xros Heart deck. It recurs resources from Trash, but Xros Heart doesn't really discard anything. From my perspective, the only thing this card would actually recur is X4 or anything that actively dies, and I don't think it's THAT important.

That said, it's another level 4 with a Shoutmon name, so that's useful, if nothing else.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

thetoughestbean posted:

Shortmon | Data | Food

Weddinmon | Vaccine | Fairy

Some delicious cakes from the Xros Wars manga

Vanilla cakes, of course.

Unrelated, but I've been playing the game with basically starter decks so far, though I have bought plenty of cards I can't make up my mind on how to actually build my own deck/what kind of deck I want to build. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Golux posted:

Vanilla cakes, of course.

Unrelated, but I've been playing the game with basically starter decks so far, though I have bought plenty of cards I can't make up my mind on how to actually build my own deck/what kind of deck I want to build. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I would say pick an evo line you like and go from there.

Bt8 will be out at the end of the month and Imperial and Armor Rush are both going to quite good

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Translation posted:

RedVegiemon BT10-047 C
Champion | Virus | Vegetation

Translation posted:

Mushroomon
Rookie | Virus | Vegetation

And most importantly, especially for Bloomlordmon, there's a new Palmon:

Translation posted:

Palmon
Rookie | Data | Vegetation

[On Play] Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Add 1 card that contains [Plant] or [Vegetation] in its traits and 1 card with [Fairy] in its traits among them to your hand. Place the remaining cards at the bottom of the deck in any order.

Speaking of, there's a translation update for Ajatarmon and Bloomlordmon (they can grab Plants now):

Translation Update posted:

Ajatarmon
Ultimate | Vaccine | Vegetation

[Main] (Once per turn) By suspending 1 of your green Digimon, you may play 1 Digimon **that contains [Plant], [Vegetation] or [Fairy] in its traits with 3000 DP or less from your hand without paying its memory cost.
-----
Inherited:[Your Turn] (Once Per Turn) When one of your Digimon becomes suspended by an effect, gain 1 memory.

Translation Update posted:

Bloomlordmon BT10-057 SR
Mega | Vaccine | Fairy

[When Digivolved] You may suspend 1 of your Digimon. Then, for each of your suspended Digimon that contains [Plant], [Vegetation] or [Fairy] in its traits, gain 1 memory. When you gained 2 memory or more with this effect, unsuspend this Digimon and this Digimon gains <Piercing> for this turn.

[Your Turn] For every 2 of your suspended Digimon, this Digimon gains +2000 DP and <Security Attack +1>.

I'm so, so happy about that Palmon. I've been waiting for a good searcher for green decks since I started playing.

The Golux posted:

It helps to have an idea what you want to build. We can give advice once you know what you're trying to do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/shiki_digi/status/1522057063442305024?s=21&t=-tldC74YTFaO7sOj5EoCng

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I love the RedVegiemon and Mushroomon art, just two weirdos trucking along.

quote:

DarkKnightmon X-Antibody BT10-069 SR
Mega | Virus | Dark Knight / X-Antibody

[Digivolve: 4 from [DarkKnightmon]]

[When Digivolved] Return 1 black or purple Digimon card other than [DarkKnightmon X-Antibody] from your trash to your hand. Then, when this Digimon has [DarkKnightmon] or [X-Antibody] in its digivolution cards, delete 1 Tamer, and unsuspend this Digimon.

[On Deletion] You may play 1 [DarkKnightmon] from your trash without paying its memory cost.

DarkKnightmon X can and will murder a child

Also I watched the most recent episode of Ghost Game and everything about Ajatarmon was horrifying

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 5, 2022

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The most unbelievable part of this image is that Gammamon would understand the rules of a card game and wouldn't just try to eat the cards.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

If you look at the cards Gammamon has a red card over a green, red, and blue card so he’s likely playing the Gammamon deck

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The most unbelievable part of this image is that Gammamon would understand the rules of a card game and wouldn't just try to eat the cards.

Guillomon and Agumon (if Taichi's) would definitely also eat the cards. V-mon wouldn't eat them, but he'd also not know how to play

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Guillomon and Agumon (if Taichi's) would definitely also eat the cards. V-mon wouldn't eat them, but he'd also not know how to play

I don't think Agumon would eat the cards and he'd probably try to play but he wouldn't be very good at it. V-mon would have the competitive spirit but also wouldn't understand any more complex rulings. Shoutmon is definitely the best player of the lot, but he's obsessed with winning and being the Digimon King.

For the ones that aren't there, I'd imagine Savers Agumon would try to play too but he'd ultimately end up punching his opponent the moment he had to do anything more complex than drawing a card. Gatchmon would be a top-tier player but also the most boring deck builder in the world because he'd just look up what the best deck is and how to play it perfectly.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Of course Gatchmon would be a filthy net-decker, smh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Not everyone has the brewing spirit, its good to know your strengths and weaknesses.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think that Gammamon would know how to play. (Spoiler'd for the person who's catching up to Ghost Game) Maybe Gammamon when he first appeared would eat the cards, but he's been slowly but steadily growing up over the course of the show. He had set out on his own to do an errand, and just recently we saw him ask Hiro for his tablet so he can read the encyclopedia. Gammamon never feels static unlike other main character Digimons and I like that about him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of feel like out of the whole group, Shoutmon would probably be the only one smart enough to possibly know how to play (and be super competitive about it as well)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Agumon and Veemon are smart enough to learn most of the rules and would be willing to play.

Just not as well as Shout.

Gammamon would try, Guilmon would just watch and be adorably confused.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The former might depend on whether this is Adventure Agumon in the picture or Savers Agumon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

The former might depend on whether this is Adventure Agumon in the picture or Savers Agumon

No wristbands, so it's not Savers Agumon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

No wristbands, so it's not Savers Agumon.

Ah ok. Then yeah, Adventure Agumon is probably smart enough to figure it out as well

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have not seen the series with shoutmon or gammamon but agumon and veemon always seemed to me to be more naive then dumb, and so i think they would at least try to play the game.

Guilmon however...well hes very sincere and would probably only bite one or two cards before realizing they werent food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 6, 2022