Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Getting some quotes for a heat pump to replace my furnace (currently fine but I don't have aircon... And it's not a great furnace). I'm not looking forward to the process... and I do this for a living.

Good luck getting folks to show up, it's so loving frustrating, everyoen is slammed, and it sucks.
Between fence folks and Concrete folks, I think about 30% showed up.. 1 fence company gave me a gently caress you price based on google maps because they prefer to do industrial / commercial jobs not 100ft of fence jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tater_salad posted:

Good luck getting folks to show up, it's so loving frustrating, everyoen is slammed, and it sucks.
Between fence folks and Concrete folks, I think about 30% showed up.. 1 fence company gave me a gently caress you price based on google maps because they prefer to do industrial / commercial jobs not 100ft of fence jobs.

I had the same issue with mini split repair, except everyone wanted to rip it out and install a new system except one blessed company who fixed my problem and saved me a buttload of money.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Operating in this climate of "good luck finding someone" sure is exciting!

I'm at a decision point. I managed to get a roofer booked, but now I'm wondering if I should call off the job. The reason we started was we found water coming in. Symptoms were 1) liquid water hitting our coats in the closet, 2) water staining on the ceiling drywall a couple feet from 1, and 3) poking the roof and feeling soft wood underneath. Now, I'm 99% sure I diagnosed and solved 1 (part of the roof drained into a planter above the closet). The roofer himself thinks the soft wood is moist interior air not an exterior leak. Yesterday I opened drywall and found that while the 1/4 inch plywood is rotted away in spots, structural elements look and feel 100%. I'm still not sure on 2, but that alone wouldn't justify a re-roof. I'd be fine moving forward except if it's moisture, replacing the roof membrane does nothing to address the root cause. Also, the way the house was build, doing the re-roof requires a ton of other work, including exterior siding on 4 walls. I don't have a siding guy lined up, haven't even looked into that at all yet

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sweeper posted:

I had the same issue with mini split repair, except everyone wanted to rip it out and install a new system except one blessed company who fixed my problem and saved me a buttload of money.

yeah also this.. so many comanies are sales focused.. a repair gets the first guy a $10 comission.. a whole new system they're goin out for dinner.

I had a lot of ppl give me very high quotes for "lets minisplit the whole house instead of replacing your furnace" which while great in purpose.. I don't have a panel to support that, nor did I have the extra 7 grand that would have cost.

(I did need a replacement as my furnace was an old AC delco oil burner that was converted to Gas at one point and was probably in the efficiency range of 50% or less)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 22, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Does that include both sides of the wall? My garage shares part of a wall with my kitchen and while the kitchen is sheetrocked, the garage side has real old wood shiplap on it.

Yes/no. What is required is an "assembly" that protects for X hours. In resi that's typically going to be 2 hours. And these days two sheets of 5/8" drywall is considered sufficient (Probably fine for an S to an R<whatever> but it's simply not for a party wall, but whatever that's a different story).

So in a loose enough interpretation/jurisdiction you could slap up sheets of 5/8 on the garage side of that wall, tape/mud, then slap up another layer of 5/8 with tape and mud directly on the first and that counts. In this case it would matter exactly zero what wallcovering is in your kitchen. Most AHJs want to see separation of the drywall layers so in new builds it's typically just 5/8" on either side of the studs. I'm not sure which I prefer - two sheets slapped together has some strength/puncture resistance advantages but I believe some separation has been shown to be beneficial. I've actually seen both seets on one side of a wall with lath strapping between them (to give them just a 1/4 or 1/2" gap).

As to your specific situation, your place was very likely built before this was code for your area and may or may not have something in that wall that constitutes some sort of fire protection. But if it's old shiplap I'm leaning towards "lol, there were no codes when that was built".

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

"lol, there were no codes when that was built".

It's this! The garage was added a couple decades after the house was built and I'm really curious what's under the shiplap boards. I know there is at least 1 rat skeleton. Do rodent ghosts provide fire protection?

E: I can't just tear the boards off because there is framing over part of them that secures the giant steel hinges to my ancient garage door to the wall. Have to get that replaced with a modern door first.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 22, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

It's this! The garage was added a couple decades after the house was built and I'm really curious what's under the shiplap boards. I know there is at least 1 rat skeleton. Do rodent ghosts provide fire protection?

E: I can't just tear the boards off because there is framing over part of them that secures the giant steel hinges to my ancient garage door to the wall. Have to get that replaced with a modern door first.

I'm on month 6 of waiting for a garage door that was supposed to be here in February.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Getting some quotes for a heat pump to replace my furnace (currently fine but I don't have aircon... And it's not a great furnace). I'm not looking forward to the process... and I do this for a living.

Update, it was fine actually. I might have it done by next month. I will be pouring a little housekeeping pad in preparation, maybe I'll even do one for my trash cans.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maybe a long shot, since the parts are different, but I'm in Europe where we have these cylindrical back boxes for plugs. I've been replacing a bunch of plugs as they were old and yellowing, and it's mostly fine. However, some of them used to be hardwired radiators (IE no plugs, radiators wired directly to mains) and some of these have these over wires joined in the backbox, like in the photo. I can't fit the plug into the box easily in these cases, what are my options? I can see that you can get marginally bigger boxes (50mm instead of 40mm) but that seems like a pain and might not even work. Is it just a case of really carefully bending the wires so that they use the space efficiently?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Charging ahead with demolishing this balcony. Tanks have crossed the border, commited now, and things are getting messy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

distortion park posted:

Maybe a long shot, since the parts are different, but I'm in Europe where we have these cylindrical back boxes for plugs. I've been replacing a bunch of plugs as they were old and yellowing, and it's mostly fine. However, some of them used to be hardwired radiators (IE no plugs, radiators wired directly to mains) and some of these have these over wires joined in the backbox, like in the photo. I can't fit the plug into the box easily in these cases, what are my options? I can see that you can get marginally bigger boxes (50mm instead of 40mm) but that seems like a pain and might not even work. Is it just a case of really carefully bending the wires so that they use the space efficiently?

Yea bending the wires to use the space better is often a good option.

I'm a home game with electricity so consider with a grain of salt:

Can you "stack" the wagos in the back of the box by feeding differing amounts of wire back into the wall then pushing the wage connectors to the back? This would only work if you have sufficiently ong wire running from the wago to the outlet.

Kinda hard to tell from the photos but could you replace the wagos in such a way that there is less volume of wire in the box without compromising your ability to service the outlet in the future?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I applied for First Republic's $100k personal line of credit (2.25%, 7 year term) for the inevitable "we found dry rot and construction defects!!!" that will happen during my remodel

The application was easy but good lord within 3 hours of hitting Submit, I've gotten about 40 phone calls and 20 text messages from lenders that got copies of my info from the credit bureaus

What a rad system

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I applied for First Republic's $100k personal line of credit (2.25%, 7 year term) for the inevitable "we found dry rot and construction defects!!!" that will happen during my remodel

The application was easy but good lord within 3 hours of hitting Submit, I've gotten about 40 phone calls and 20 text messages from lenders that got copies of my info from the credit bureaus

What a rad system

Why First Republic if you don't mind me asking? I am going to probably need some "we found dry rot and construction defects!!!" credit as well and haven't started shopping around yet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I get one more email from my mortgage company explaining that I could get a cash out refi and use the $200,000 to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo I am going to take them up on it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not house-related but I am so over the letters I get from my car dealership asking me to sell back my >75% paid off 2020 model (and I've been getting these letters for over a year) so I can buy something new.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Dave posted:

Not house-related but I am so over the letters I get from my car dealership asking me to sell back my >75% paid off 2020 model (and I've been getting these letters for over a year) so I can buy something new.

I got one of those for my lease and called just it of interest and they offered me less than the buyout. So not that desperate to buy it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Dave posted:

Well pay you top dollar for your car so you can buy one for top dollar as soon as it becomes available.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Also good luck finding a new car for sale

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I closed on my house a week and a half ago. On Saturday I found a note from a realtor in my door offering to sell my house. The for sale sign couldn't have been out of the ground for more than 3 days before I got realtors bothering me.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

dxt posted:

I closed on my house a week and a half ago. On Saturday I found a note from a realtor in my door offering to sell my house. The for sale sign couldn't have been out of the ground for more than 3 days before I got realtors bothering me.

I started getting letters offering to list our house for sale... from the realtor that represented the seller (builder), less than a year after we closed. We hadn't even made it through the warranty period yet!

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

distortion park posted:

63 mm is a fairly common larger depth, if you have the space in the wall for it. I've purchased from https://www.knxshoponline.co.uk/european-circular-wall-socket-back-boxes as one example. Doesn't work if you're sunk into masonry or something else like that. Other than that, yeah, you just need to bend the wires differently. It's also possible that with the wire connectors the device just won't fit, and you need a bigger box.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks for the advice on the wiring boxes - I'll spend 30min with some tongs trying to bend the wires but otherwise looks like I'll order some larger boxes! I didn't see any that big in my local hardware store.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tongs? Lol get a good set of pliars, please

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use chopsticks taped to a staple puller

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Took a bit of finesse but got there eventually

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

distortion park posted:

:stonk:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

distortion park posted:

sweet jesus

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm joking, a combination of cutting the wires back and bending them very carefully with pliers worked.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm so confused.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Verman posted:

I'm so confused.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I use chopsticks taped to a staple puller

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have been on a ... 7 week quest now to seed the bare sandy lot that is my back yard. I have at least five medium to large trees on the perimeter of the yard and then ~1800 sq ft of what appears to be the main usable portion

Initially I put down about 10lbs of Bermuda seed in the most obvious sunny areas, and ~2lbs in the shadier areas where I knew there would be high traffic, and then 8 lbs of "dense shade mix" that only get 2-3 hours of direct sun, and then covered it rest of the yard semi evenly (over top the dense shade fescue + direct sun bermuda) with "warm season" tall fescue

It's been in the 70s and the dense shade fine/red fescues are thriving, starting to see fescue popping up in the transition area between shade and sun.

Bermuda is coming in the sunny hot areas, but still really patchy. Hit this area again with another 10 lbs of Bermuda seed, and then did the perimeter of the yard with another 3lbs of Bermuda to try and get some true hot weather grass across the entire back yard. Fescues did not exist in the center of the yard until about 5 days ago but starting to see some fine green angel hair popping up pretty evenly

Also put down another 25 lbs of "warm season temperature and drought tolerant tall fescue" across the whole lawn as an attempt to properly oversees the yard. When I got here the back yard was hard packed sand and now it's black squishy soil so I'm hoping the fescue at a minimum builds some roots to hold the yard together and retain moisture as the Bermuda slowly takes over and chokes it out

I think this climate (coastal Carolina) is way way too hot for fescues come July and August, but drat if my lawn isn't pretty and my toddler loves running around back here.

Going to keep watering aggressively and hope that most everything takes hold, and I end up with a sort of blend of shade tolerant fescue tapering into full sun bermuda by way of attrition

Been doing this the wrong way, just sprinkling it on the ground and watering it, no mulch over top which I think is why the Bermuda is really struggling to establish, it wants to germinate and live in disturbed soil

Random side note, don't buy name brand bermuda seed, it's all wide blade stuff; you can get dark green fine bladed (think fescue) Bermuda you just need to order it from the right places. A lot of my Bermuda is 5/8" wide blades wish I had spent the extra money on the good stuff

Finally, reel mower is awesome, takes about 10 minutes to cut my lawn, the cut is almost too good it's hard to tell someone cut the grass because each blade is just a perfect blade of grass that ends in a surgical straight line cut with no tear out. I have to go look at my wide blade bermuda to see where I've cut the grass

Edit: current status:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 1, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Lawn project, complete.

Filling the large bed was a six-hour long nightmare of hauling 5 gallon buckets of dirt and compost that I never want to repeat, but its done.

The large plant is a Japanese camellia which will flower in the Fall, and will eventually grow another 6 or so feet. All of the visible soil will eventually fill in with the pink flox. The smaller area on the left is herbs. Will also eventually replace the horrible vinyl fence with something nice (or even a brick wall), but that is very low on the priority list.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 1, 2022

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Those vinyl fences are everywhere in the suburbs and such around here and IMO it always looks like absolute poo poo

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Toaster Beef posted:

Those vinyl fences are everywhere in the suburbs and such around here and IMO it always looks like absolute poo poo

Yea its from the PO but at least its new, so it isn't stained or chipped, and not buying a wood fence in this market!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Don't ask for help. Spend three hours hand mixing bags of concrete and pour your own A/C housekeeping slab alone.

I really earned these front porch beers. Those 80lb sacks got heavier as time went on.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Upgrade posted:

Yea its from the PO but at least its new, so it isn't stained or chipped, and not buying a wood fence in this market!

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be replacing it right now either. It's definitely better than nothing, and fuckin l o l at what replacing it would cost in materials and labor.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Toaster Beef posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be replacing it right now either. It's definitely better than nothing, and fuckin l o l at what replacing it would cost in materials and labor.

It's gonna definitely be a pain in the rear end to pull the posts behind the raised bed, but the brick is cut out around the posts to let that process be a bit easier. And yea, its in the 5 year plan.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

id rather be dead than have a vinyl fence tbh

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They look ok for about a month before they get dirty and depending where you are covered in moss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
House Ownership: bougie af (about fences)