Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

forked hatchets are fun to powerstance but with that range you might as well use claws which are even more fun and have the paired weapon property that allows you to proc buffs with both hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you upgrade from the ps4 to the ps5 does the game keep your save files?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The only way I can think of is if the PS4 lets you do a cloud-save and you transfer it from one console to the other. There has to be a file to reference your savedata and calibrate it with the online servers so I don't think it automatically carries over.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

PS4 and PS5 are treated like separate games. They have separate trophy lists and everything, I doubt the saves transfer.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I have the Scorpion Stinger knife from Lake of Rot up to +9. Is there much point of fully upgrading? I haven’t had much luck getting Rot to proc with it. I’ve been spoiled by Reduvia, bleed magic is just too satisfying.

Carwash Cunt fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 1, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

The traffic cone is for summoning ashes.

Dubi just posted a video on those pillars, they're a vestigial thing from an earlier version of the summon system where you interacted with them to call in a summon instead of using the bell anywhere in the general area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8EoqoY8MbI

They don't really serve any purpose in the final version but they scaled them down and left them in

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

AlternateNu posted:

Finished my naked Blue Dancer playthrough. It was fun. Mained the Ornamental Straight Sword to keep my weight under 8 while getting powerstancing. Mohg probably gave me the most trouble just because the blood pool stun locks the poo poo out of you if you roll wrong.

After beating it, I respec'd to a modified blood crow building using the Scavenger's Curved Sword. Power stancing bumps me up to 11.2 weight, but you still get a great buff from BD. Even before all the temporary jumping/multihit buffs, these things are starting out with an AR of 613 each at 80 ARC w/ Ocult scaling. That's nuts.

It's fun tearing up bosses. I did Plaxi, and he didn't even get a second go around in fog form. He just melted. And this is at NG+2. :v:

I'm trying the power stanced curved sword thing now (although I missed the Scavenger's sword first go around, so I only have one in NG+ and have something else in there -- dragon something) and it seems great when everything hits, but if feel like I do best with big enemies, and it's not great against smaller enemies or faster enemies. Is there some trick to making this effective against humanoid size enemies? Or is it just get better at hitting on the jump?

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

repiv posted:

Dubi just posted a video on those pillars, they're a vestigial thing from an earlier version of the summon system where you interacted with them to call in a summon instead of using the bell anywhere in the general area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8EoqoY8MbI

They don't really serve any purpose in the final version but they scaled them down and left them in

there's definitely at least one of these that aren't near an ash-capable area. it made me sad that they don't actually emanate that effect :smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm trying the power stanced curved sword thing now (although I missed the Scavenger's sword first go around, so I only have one in NG+ and have something else in there -- dragon something) and it seems great when everything hits, but if feel like I do best with big enemies, and it's not great against smaller enemies or faster enemies. Is there some trick to making this effective against humanoid size enemies? Or is it just get better at hitting on the jump?

If you're putting occult scaling on it you could use an ash of war with some AOE for groups, like Gravitas or Waves of Darkness. Against human sized stuff see if any particular move makes it easier, like sprinting powerstance attack or rolling attack and similar and see if that's easier to hit with, otherwise yeah just get the jump L1 into your muscle memory because nothing else it does is gonna do more damage than that. Toss the jump talisman and raptor's feathers and go to town

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

McCoy Pauley posted:

The trick for smaller enemies (like Malenia) is to not hit L1 until right before you hit the ground. You'll still do all four hits after you land and it all still counts as a jump attack. The trade off is you're locked into place when you do that, so you'll necessarily take longer to recover. But if the enemy is that small, you're likely stun locking them and/or proc'ing bleed on them anyway. (The exceptions are the heavily armored Haligtree and CFA Exile knights. Those guys have infinite poise when attacking.)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I am Malenia, Blade of Miquella, and I got owned so hard in combat I did war crimes and went into hiding for centuries and then a naked man with a jar on his head became an e-celebrity by owning me 40 times a day

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Anime Liker posted:

I am Malenia, Blade of Miquella, and I got owned so hard in combat I did war crimes and went into hiding for centuries and then a naked man with a jar on his head became an e-celebrity by owning me 40 times a day

I don't think she can say all that before the loading screen kicks in

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Epic High Five posted:

If you're putting occult scaling on it you could use an ash of war with some AOE for groups, like Gravitas or Waves of Darkness. Against human sized stuff see if any particular move makes it easier, like sprinting powerstance attack or rolling attack and similar and see if that's easier to hit with, otherwise yeah just get the jump L1 into your muscle memory because nothing else it does is gonna do more damage than that. Toss the jump talisman and raptor's feathers and go to town

AlternateNu posted:

The trick for smaller enemies (like Malenia) is to not hit L1 until right before you hit the ground. You'll still do all four hits after you land and it all still counts as a jump attack. The trade off is you're locked into place when you do that, so you'll necessarily take longer to recover. But if the enemy is that small, you're likely stun locking them and/or proc'ing bleed on them anyway. (The exceptions are the heavily armored Haligtree and CFA Exile knights. Those guys have infinite poise when attacking.)

Thank you both, this is helpful. I'm realizing I have to get out of my practice of just abusing RoB and corpse piler, and rearrange my talismans -- pretty sure I had the Shard of Alexander in my build as I was doing this, which seems like a waste, because the point of this blood crow build is that I'm not messing with skills for the most part, but just getting the benefit of the multiple hits and occult scaling -- right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Anime Liker posted:

I haven’t gotten to Malenia yet but the game does a good job of selling how much she probably cheesed her Radahn fight given how it takes a small army, him being reduced to a wreck of his old self, Torrent and/or patch nerfs to take him from being Orphan of Kos-level ball busting to just “pretty goddamn tough”.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Last Celebration posted:

I haven’t gotten to Malenia yet but the game does a good job of selling how much she probably cheesed her Radahn fight given how it takes a small army, him being reduced to a wreck of his old self, Torrent and/or patch nerfs to take him from being Orphan of Kos-level ball busting to just “pretty goddamn tough”.

The trailer cinematic of their fight is pretty cool. She barely gets in on him after he shatters her prosthetic arm, stabs him in the shoulder with her long rear end katana, then stabs herself with the other end to let her rot blood leak into him and goes scarlet bloom. After that, she's basically dead until one of her soldiers is able to drag her off the battlefield back to the Haligtree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_03kFqWfqs

Their fight starts at the 2:00 mark.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 1, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To me I don't think it's necessarily that easy, her pose makes me think they'd been fighting for a while and she had to try and reset her arm, while Radahn was admittedly looking perfectly fine. Also the reason she was on that warpath to begin with, was pretty clearly that she was trying to find Miquella after Mohg kidnapped him. She had the opportunity to but didn't claim any great runes, so she wasn't trying to become Elden Lord. I dunno, as funny as the memes are, the whole chad Radahn evil bitch Malenia thing never sat all that well to me.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Horace Kinch posted:

I used to hate fighting the crystal assholes but the Spear guy is super vulnerable to parrying, going in knowing that helps a lot.

Same with the hate but I would just circle strafe to back stab since they're insanely slow to turn and methodical with their attacks

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Eimi posted:

To me I don't think it's necessarily that easy, her pose makes me think they'd been fighting for a while and she had to try and reset her arm, while Radahn was admittedly looking perfectly fine. Also the reason she was on that warpath to begin with, was pretty clearly that she was trying to find Miquella after Mohg kidnapped him. She had the opportunity to but didn't claim any great runes, so she wasn't trying to become Elden Lord. I dunno, as funny as the memes are, the whole chad Radahn evil bitch Malenia thing never sat all that well to me.

"Using bioweapons on the natives is a moral grey area"

- the genocide fan

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I am level 20 and I send to the summoning pool and I'm being summoned all over for boss runs. It's so fun.

I never want to leave.

Kinda wanna start another guy and get him to 40 and use him for mid level stuff.

Then another for 80.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjW9ise8b5U

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok I just parried her twice, there was no damage received on my part but she also didn't stun. Can you only stun her by poise?

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

codo27 posted:

Ok I just parried her twice, there was no damage received on my part but she also didn't stun. Can you only stun her by poise?

she breaks every third parry

nopants
May 29, 2004

Mr. Pool posted:

Tarnished isn't race specific, it just means you used to fight for Godfrey/Hourah Loux . Presumably most were the (white) barbarian tribesmen that was where Hourah was from, but doesn't seem like a big leap to think a few Nightfolk or Numen worked for him too, esp since Marika was Numen so those tribes should be on good terms.

An interesting lore mystery I want to know more about is the crucible knights, how the hell did they end up working for Godfrey? the lore states that they worshipped The Crucible, which was a special room inside of The Great Tree, where species got mixed up, giving us the misbegotten, crucible knights, (maybe the dragonkin?). Both the Great Tree and the Crucible / race mixing in general was considered heresy once the elden ring came along, the Erdtree supplants the Great Tree, Queen Marika and the Two Fingers create the Golden Order. Makes sense that some of them would end up in evergaols, but most of them didn't? and the rest fought alongside Godfrey/Marika to wipe out all other Crucible races? Feel like theres a story there.

Also someone asked a million pages back the difference between Bloody Finger invaders and Recusant invaders. Bloody Fingers kill Tarnished on behalf of the Cult of Mohg (presumably wants their blood for blood magic things). Recusants kill Tarnished on behalf of Volcano Manor (Cult of Rykard) (presumably for vore magic things). Thats about it.

DLC idea Crucible DLC with entrance in the hollowed out tree room behind where you fight Siluria in the Deeproot Depths. Godfrey and the crucible knights hid the location of the crucible and made it a refuge for non-humans. now you've got to kill them for some reason

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So, my new character I'm planning just cleared all of the good part of Limgrave, Weeping Peninsula and ran around Liurnia/Caelid. Killed Godrick and is basically a template:

40 vigor
14 mind
14 endurance
18 STR
18 DEX
10 FTH
10 ARC

I want a frenzy based character, what are good stats to aim for? What incantations and stuff are cool for a character that will meet the Three Fingers and set the world under a frenzy flame.?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The guy who designed the Gargoyles enemy is just so loving proud as pigshit of them isn't he?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Surely nearing the third hour of Malenia. I finally moved the freeze pot over into the right side pouch for easier accessibility. I finally get the timing down. She leaps up, I hit Y+down, the Y activates a message on the ground and I'm diced into a million pieces as "dont think!" is emblazoned across my screen

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Do smithing stones carry over into new game plus?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Some parryable bosses (Malenia, Godskin Darth Maul, etc.) require multiple successful parries to get them into the downed state.

morestuff posted:

Everything you looted carries over. The only things that don't are certain key items and quest progress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Forgive me Miriel for I have sinned, I killed Patches for his clothes. In my defense they look really cool and it's my 4th time through the game.

I do hope they don't suddenly patch in a big thing to do with those castanets he gives you to give to Volcano lady after all that business :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

morestuff posted:

They do. The bell bearings you've given the shop all get reset though so buy a ton before committing to ng+

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

morestuff posted:

Stones themselves yes. The bell bearings that let you buy them? Not at all.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I spent the morning co-opping Maliketh, and now that I've finally got the claw parry down, he's one of my favorite bosses. :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mal is an interesting boss in that he’s kind of a gimmick boss but not in the way FROM usually does gimmick bosses

Snake boy is the traditional gimmick boss

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

dodgeblan posted:

Also i know it's stated pretty directly but the tarnished being Godfrey's warriors thing doesn't make a lot of sense? Not sure what role dungaree man, fia and goldmask would have in an army

The Tarnished seem to also include the descendants of those warriors, to the point where Fia didn't even seem to be aware of her nature as a Tarnished until she was awakened to the guidance of Grace. That said, I could totally see Goldmask being a former soldier who became an ascetic.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Calaveron posted:

The guy who designed the Gargoyles enemy is just so loving proud as pigshit of them isn't he?

Im happy I more or less got sword/axe movesets down but twinblade means i stay back to avoid flashy spinny slicey

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Armies have more than just soldiers. There are supports, camp followers just a poo poo ton of people who probably never saw combat and weren’t expected to.

Wspecially since that army seems to resemble a horde rather than a traditional settled army

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I finally killed the Valiant Gargoyles in Nokrud or whatever, why did I want to kill those fuckers other than to get their weapons? Didn't I need to kill them to progress the Ranni questline?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I finally killed the Valiant Gargoyles in Nokrud or whatever, why did I want to kill those fuckers other than to get their weapons? Didn't I need to kill them to progress the Ranni questline?

Search the back of the arena for something they were guarding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Eimi posted:

Search the back of the arena for something they were guarding.

I did I don't think I found anything, what are they guarding? The arena is annoyingly gigantic

EDIT: Do you mean what I assume is the coffin that changes your character's gender that Souls games have?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They are completely optional if you're following Ranni's questline IIRC. Beating them provides you an alternate way down to Deeproot Depths.

EDIT: look for coffins in the arena.