Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

Yeah, OpenMW doesn't like the icons being in TGA format, not DDS.

awesome, thanks for the info! I'll try converting the files as a curiosity if I can, and if it works, great, if not, whatever lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

awesome, thanks for the info! I'll try converting the files as a curiosity if I can, and if it works, great, if not, whatever lol

No problem. If you have any future questions the OpenMW discord is pretty friendly about discussing this kind of stuff.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kaubocks posted:

it's a bit of an ancient mod. just going through some old silly stuff for funsies.

Aww yeaah, that's the real Morrowind experience!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I;m Thinkin About Thos Mog Mods

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Aww yeaah, that's the real Morrowind experience!

:hai:

got some master chief armor and a tardis for later on the docket too lmao. i wanna see some Dumb poo poo, that's the best part of user created content

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I-i-i just want a mod that lets you leave factions :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

:hai:

got some master chief armor and a tardis for later on the docket too lmao. i wanna see some Dumb poo poo, that's the best part of user created content

You should consider playing the epic quest mod Muffinwind, by me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've updated Deadly Combat Exhaustion to affect the paralyzed.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49925

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Proletarian Mango posted:

I've updated Deadly Combat Exhaustion to affect the paralyzed.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49925

hell yes

new characters will learn to FEAR and RESPECT the kwama forager

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i will never respect a kwama

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

yesterday i finally saw some new TR animals, they were cool as hell

also i stopped dead in my tracks in the master painter's house in old ebonheart to read his books, holy poo poo they were good. that five act play based on the plot of Daggerfall?!? :discourse:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Hello Morrowind thread! I know I haven't posted much lately (here or on the forums in general) and been mostly lurking instead, but I did want to let you all know that I will be speedrunning Morrowind - All Main Quests in 2 upcoming speedrun marathons. Basically, the All Main Quests route is where we complete all the major plot quests, like Hortator & Nerevarine, Corprus Cure, and Caius's fetch quests, but after glitching our speed to 3,000. I usually take around 22-23 minutes to do it, from getting off the boat to destroying the Heart of Lorkhan.

The first is taking place this weekend. We're raising funds for someone undergoing cancer treatment. My AMQ run is at 8pm eastern tomorrow evening and there is a $200 bonus incentive for me to run the even more bonkers any% route. You can watch here.

The second is a couple weeks from now on April 2nd at 8:15pm Eastern. I'll be running the exact same thing at Midspring Speedfling/VGM Con with an additional bid war to name the player character. Link to watch that is here.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 19, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vavrek posted:

It's fifty attribute points. It's nuts. Even if half of them are in Personality. (fake edit: I thought it was forty, but checked UESP for the math in the next line.)

So, to explain. If you play a Dunmer, you start with either 40 Endurance, 30 Personality or 30 Endurance, 40 Personality, depending on if you pick Male or Female. If an attribute is Favored by your class, you get an extra 10 points, so a Male Dunmer Acrobat would have 50 Endurance before birthsign.

The Lady gives +25 to Endurance and Personality. In regular Morrowind, this shows up in your spell effects bar as an ongoing effect, but it's one that can never go away. And, this is key, your attributes just show up as being (for our Male Dunmer Acrobat) 75 Endurance, 55 Personality. In OpenMW, The Lady gives an ongoing permanent Fortify Attribute effect, +25 Endurance and Personality, but it renders it out as a fortified attribute, same as if you'd used a Fortify Attribute scroll.

I forget what, if any, negative consequences this has compared to the vanilla interpretation other than it being Different and therefore Wrong and Bad and me not liking it. It probably has an important role in health gains on levelup that you should mod out anyway because they're terrible.

i was interested enough in this to look it up, turns out it's been understood as a real problem for a while and although it required a fair amount of work, it is fixed for the next release

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
https://twitter.com/AtomizedBanana/status/1490739579011444738?t=fqvxY3dY6n-dpN2wzn4aTw&s=19

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I'm having an annoying issue that I hope someone can help with. Two of the mods I use (Heat Haze & Buying Game) don't retain their mod configuration settings upon exiting the game. It's getting really old having to reset them every session. Every other mod I use is fine; it's just these two that have this problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know if this helps, but Morrowind won't remember my key bindings unless I run in admin mode.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does the multiplayer mod work with other mods? (My impression is yes it does, but I’ve heard mixed things about compatibility). And if so are there specific recommendations for good ones to add? I have to imagine I’m failing to find an already existing guide- struggling a bit to search and find recent/relevant stuff.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if this helps, but Morrowind won't remember my key bindings unless I run in admin mode.

It might help to move the install outside Program Files if it's there.

Windows does some crazy poo poo with it these days.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tildes posted:

Does the multiplayer mod work with other mods? (My impression is yes it does, but I’ve heard mixed things about compatibility). And if so are there specific recommendations for good ones to add? I have to imagine I’m failing to find an already existing guide- struggling a bit to search and find recent/relevant stuff.

Yeah I think there was a list of mods somewhere on the openmw site.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah I think there was a list of mods somewhere on the openmw site.

Ended up planning on using Tamriel Rebuilt, and it turns out they have a pretty good list which mentions compatibility!

Still in the market for any TR compatible mods which add stuff to the existing Morrowind content if anyone has particular recs! I've been looking at some mod showcase videos and trying to find stuff which fleshes out existing game locations a bit more.

e: Also I think this is the list you mentioned, this is incredibly helpful!- https://modding-openmw.com/

tildes fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 25, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tildes posted:

Ended up planning on using Tamriel Rebuilt, and it turns out they have a pretty good list which mentions compatibility!

Still in the market for any TR compatible mods which add stuff to the existing Morrowind content if anyone has particular recs! I've been looking at some mod showcase videos and trying to find stuff which fleshes out existing game locations a bit more.

e: Also I think this is the list you mentioned, this is incredibly helpful!- https://modding-openmw.com/

No problem buddy. :yeah:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do most people now use OpenMW, or vanilla? Might give MW a go after Oblivion.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

if you're on windows, run the real thing. there are so many fantastic mwse-only mods i wish i could use.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've only played MW once and didn't finish it, so I think I'd be okay with a fairly vanilla playthrough if it means better stability and performance.

I mean unless there are some mwse must-haves.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
quick casting's the big one, maybe the one with the ridable silt striders.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Perfect placement and mantle are mods I refuse to go without anymore.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OpenMW right now is mostly useful for VR integration and running on a phone/linux/whatever, the normal game is fine otherwise.

E: VV I guess that as well. There's also bump-mapping on textures, not sure if that ever got put into normal MW.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 26, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I see only openmw has controller support

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have had zero problems using my steam controller, but:

- I installed it via steam directly into program files
- Never run as administrator
- Have an arcane and stupid mod organizer setup that pulls mod pieces from all over the place
- Haphazardly rerun code patches whenever

All of which also have zero problems anyway, so it could just be pure dumb luck. Any problem I've had turned out to be me clearly doing something stupid on purpose.

I think the real reason my controller works is because I have it set up to just tack into the default keybinds.

Mantle is incredible and I should check out perfect placement I bet it would be a good idea to see how they do stuff if I'm ever going to get my containers mod to work.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You can climb up people with mantle.

..which gives me an idea for a mod: physical secunda and masser in world with a tower of khajiit stretching up to them for you to climb.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

quick casting's the big one, maybe the one with the ridable silt striders.
Quick casting's built into Morrowind Code Patch, I'm pretty sure.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FactsAreUseless posted:

Quick casting's built into Morrowind Code Patch, I'm pretty sure.

It is indeed!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
MCP doesn't work with OpenMW though so I felt its worth mentioning

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Happy 20th birthday, Morrowind :toot:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Happy 20th birthday, Morrowind :toot:

Jesus Christ time flies. My son was six months old and I’d bounce him on my knee while playing Morrowind on my Packard Bell computer.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I remember walking home from highschool excitedly planning my builds and daydreaming about what kind of weird character I wanted to be. I really wish Morrowind got a sequel rip I did not want to be playing the same game for 20 years.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Protip: wear both a skirt and a robe, for maximum constant effects

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Morrowind has a very similar leveling system to Oblivion, correct? Did Oblivion's leveling system get shat on because Oblivion's enemy scaling makes suboptimal leveling a real issue?

Do most people mod the leveling system in MW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I somehow still have a folder full of screenshots of my first playthroughs from 18 years ago. I guess it's just been getting copied from one backup drive to the next throughout the years.

Looking through it is kind of nostalgic, here is my very first Morrowind character, taken December 15th, 2004:

And she ended up looking like this, January 21st, 2005:

Medium armor... :hai: