Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Was it the one about the little kid who got sent to Hell because his life was super poo poo and he died before learning about Jesus? That one was basically advocating preordained calvinism.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This looks awesome!!

https://destroyallgalleries.com/

I just bought this book:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This would be a good band name:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This would be a good band name:

Wouldn't feel right if it was anything other than a death metal band.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

Wouldn't feel right if it was anything other than a death metal band.

I was thinking new age-thrash-folk-polka-mariachi-ragtime, but that's only because I can never understand what death metal bands are singing about, and lyrics are important to me.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

I loved the photoshops of this poster that replaced "TALKED!" with all kinds of words.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
How is it possible to have a pink scene in SF nowadays with real estate being what it is?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Gay folks are allowed to own and even rent real estate. California again is ahead of the wave.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Those “punks” are 60 years old and drop 75 grand on Raymond Pettibon drawings.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This is the mask I used to wear when I played in a band called the Ratkox, circa 1999.

My first wife sewed it for me using the sleeves from an old 1970's J.C. Penney's leather trench coat. I occasionally wore the sleeveless coat while shirtless as a sort of cape when we played, but it got covered in beer and Jaegermeister at the storage locker we used as a practice space, so I threw it away years ago.

My first wife was a silly, goofy artist, and she was great, but I was a drunken idiot, always cynical and exhausted from having to work so loving much for so little money, and it eventually killed her love for me. She's barely spoken a word to me in 15 years, which I respect. I earned that, unfortunately.

Nonetheless, this mask is a work of art, and I love it!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

How is it possible to have a punk scene in SF nowadays with real estate being what it is?

I don't know if there is one. Even 25 years ago, it was extremely hard to keep a band together becsuse there were very few places to rehearse (the storage facility I mentioned above was in Fremont, CA and cost $300 a month, which was as much as my share of the rent in our lovely apartment with 4 roommates), and few places to play unless you were an established band. We played some shows at vet's halls and places like that, which would rent out their stages for the night. It sucked. That's a big reason that band broke up. Everything is so expensive here that there are few opportunities for creative expression. It's stifling, and I need to be free!!!

That's why I moved to Portland, which was cool for awhile. Until it wasn't (for me).

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 2, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Szyznyk posted:

Those “punks” are 60 years old and drop 75 grand on Raymond Pettibon drawings.

The rawness of that music is still awesome.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Update on my non-metal son’s Behemoth show. He really liked the costumes and was impressed by how metal drummers use double bass drums. Also for the last few days since he’s been playing his guitar more even if it’s just to cover Coldplay songs*

* I have threatened to disown him for liking Coldplay but we both know I won’t do it

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I never had a double bass pedal, and I did have two bass drums for awhile, but one pedal sucked, so I could never practice at it very well without something breaking.

I had to move the fuckin' thing myself when we played shows, and Tetris the pieces in and out of my 1986 Nissan Pulsar, so it was really pared down.

(for reference use only. THIS MEANS YOU!!!!)

I was poor, so as the hardware broke on my drumset I had to build pieces, and rig stuff in certain positions. I couldn't afford to replace drum heads, so I would just duct tape them back together if they broke. And I played a lot of cracked cymbals. All of my cymbal stands were broken in some way, which loving sucked. I used to play shows with broken cymbals all the time, and people made fun of me, but I didn't give a gently caress. After all, it was punk rock, right?!

It may have sounded like poo poo, but it was mine, and I loving loved it. Also, I could get that fuckin' thing on and off stage in 5 minutes, easy. I hated when bands took forever to break down and set up their poo poo.

The bass drum had a huge sticker of Dan Rather's face on it that one of my friend's dug out of the dumpster of some school, which was loving awesome. I gave that drumset to my wife when we divorced, and I had no place to play it, and she took the sticker off, which made me extremely sad. Oh well.

I think I posted a picture of it somewhere in this thread.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The rawness of that music is still awesome.

I can listen to DK or Minutemen pretty much any time. I need to be in a real lovely mood to really appreciate Black Flag. It’s my working on a Saturday soundtrack.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Szyznyk posted:

I can listen to DK or Minutemen pretty much any time. I need to be in a real lovely mood to really appreciate Black Flag. It’s my working on a Saturday soundtrack.

Yeah, I gotta be in a certain mood to listen to some hardcore punk.

Whereas, I can listen to Heart anytime, anywhere.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Yeah, I gotta be in a certain mood to listen to some hardcore punk.

Whereas, I can listen to Heart anytime, anywhere.

70s Heart, or “Oh poo poo, only photograph Anne Wilson from the neck up” 80s hair metal Heart?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

It's all great.

Crazy on You is one of my favorite songs of any genre. I've lost my voice several times from trying to sing along with it in the car!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZuW6BH_Vak

I've seen them a few times. Once with Def Leppard as the opener, where there was a freak rainstorm during a cover of the Who's "Love Reign o'er Me" encore, which was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDcMhrlRpF4

The second time I saw them, they played with Cheap Trick and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Sadly, traffic loving sucks in silicon valley, and we got stuck in line at the exit for two fuckin' hours, so we missed seeing Cheap Trick, although I did get to hear them play "Surrender" while we walked from the parking lot, so that was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sAm5UCJ9vA

Joan Jett was fuckin' awesome, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6YL09T8Fw

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I've mentioned them several times, but Royal Thunder is my favorite active band now that Nomeansno and Poison Idea have retired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ70FnJ5G2Q

They are so amazing live.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmte5smnycE

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgHPebxx1gg

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adn0I09aXWA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIMrGPxh1AM

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-XnSoAneU

I just posted this song in the BUDK thread in reference to Punisher movies. I loved this song when it came out.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Wow!!! That's cool. I was LITERALLY just showing that picture to my wife (who is from NYC), and saying that I would like to buy it and put it on our wall in some futuristic scenario where we have available wall space!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap print of it, just in case...
Took cat to vet; poster still there:

They also had :catdrugs:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pretzellogic posted:

Took cat to vet; poster still there:

That’s great! I’ve seen that at a vet at some point too, love it.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

nsfw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mantis Twatburger MD

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

My two favorite bits from the last Easyriders batch:

Thanks again, AKZ!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Lol "snatch freak"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I'm in New York and my internal clock is all out of whack, so I went out for a walk at 6:00am and went to the Duane Reade/Walgreens right as it opened to get a coke and see if today's issue of the New York Daily News had a cover funny enough to buy. It did not, but here it is in case you're curious:

Anyway, none of that matters at all. When I was buying my coke and $1 frosted cookies, I had to stand in line behind at least four alcoholics stocking up on cases of beer for the day. They'd probably been waiting for the store to open for hours. I've been in that same situation, and it's not a good one. But we all gotta do whatever it takes to drag our asses through the day, so I'm not gonna be judgmental. I just remember how it feels to be alone and to drink all day until passing out, and I'm really happy that I quit drinking, because that poo poo sucked!!!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This is the mask I used to wear when I played in a band called the Ratkox, circa 1999.

this mask is a work of art, and I love it!!

:agreed:

That’s amazing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
drat dude you're coast to coast. I'm glad the pandemic got me to stop drinking, I was in a bad way with it around 2019, but have been on weed only since.

Remember when in NYC to say "Hey I'm walkin' over here," constantly, they love it!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat dude you're coast to coast. I'm glad the pandemic got me to stop drinking, I was in a bad way with it around 2019, but have been on weed only since.

Remember when in NYC to say "Hey I'm walkin' over here," constantly, they love it!

On the way from JFK airport through Queens to Brooklyn yesterday, I saw a truck* full of dudes hurling ice cubes at a subaru that cut them off, and they were hanging out the windows screaming "LEARN HOWTA DRIVE YOUSE PIECE OF poo poo!!!!" or whatever. And the Subaru driver was screaming poo poo back at them. It was fuckin' hilarious. I love New York!!!

*the truck also had a Punisher decal. LOL!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

In California you might get shot if you throw poo poo at someone's car, so it was nice to see it remain playful.

I've long wished that NYC could be removed, and airlifted, and plopped down on top of San Francisco (sparing Alameda island, of course), so that I could have this city with Bay Area weather. That is my dream....