Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Day9 was given Arcane Bombardment as his card to reveal for SNC, and it's the perfect card for him. he then proceeded to make an absolutely insane deck with it as well as a land smash version that is funny but not quite as effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJlySswd3E&hd=1

he updated the main version further and played it a second time on friday, the youtube upload isn't there yet but just watch the twitch archive to see for yourself how absurd it is.

basically, if he gets arcane bombardment on the field, the game is likely over right then and there and transforms into solitaire.

seems like a deck that would be relatively hellish to play in paper, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Captain Invictus posted:

For those planning on cracking packs, I think New Capenna Set Boosters are the best set boosters they've done so far. remember them touting "the list" and then it turned out 99% of it was absolute bottom of the barrel trash garbage commons like Urborg Panther, and maybe one or two cards in the entire list was worth a drat? well it seems the new list is much more tightly focused, and it appears that it's ALL RARES/MYTHICS. I have opened two set boxes and not gotten a single common or uncommon in the list slot.

in addition, the list absolutely vomits the replacement Stranger Things cards at you, in a single box I got these list cards and not-stranger things cards:

and the frequency of mythics is pretty decent too for the regular capenna cards. in one box I got 2 foil mythics and a foil showcase giada in addition to the regular mythics. not bad at all, though the foiling on the three of them is...muted, at best

triome frequency seems to be between 2-4 per box, based on opening two boxes, but I'll be cracking the rest of the case and will report back.

did not see a single Gilded Foil card in either set box, it was mentioned someone here got one in theirs, but I'm not sure if they got a regular foil showcase frame and thought that's what that was?

I got two gilded foil cards in my Set box. And they’re for sure the gilded foil, they stand out pretty strongly. I grant you, mine were an uncommon (one of the charms) and a common (one of the mana fixers if I’m remembering right), so they weren’t ridiculous pulls. But even so, beautiful cards.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Captain Invictus posted:

did not see a single Gilded Foil card in either set box, it was mentioned someone here got one in theirs, but I'm not sure if they got a regular foil showcase frame and thought that's what that was?

I was mistaken in that it was a Cabretti and not a Maestros Charm, but it's gilded foil

Showcase foil

Gilded foil

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
are the guilded foils raised?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Gilded foils are numbered differently than regular showcase foils. Gilded are 361-405. The gilded charm there is 365, while the regular version would be number 300.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

are the guilded foils raised?
yep, very very slightly. it's a good effect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's pretty neat.

now, if only there was a gilded foil I cared about.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Captain Invictus posted:

For those planning on cracking packs, I think New Capenna Set Boosters are the best set boosters they've done so far. remember them touting "the list" and then it turned out 99% of it was absolute bottom of the barrel trash garbage commons like Urborg Panther, and maybe one or two cards in the entire list was worth a drat? well it seems the new list is much more tightly focused, and it appears that it's ALL RARES/MYTHICS. I have opened two set boxes and not gotten a single common or uncommon in the list slot.

in addition, the list absolutely vomits the replacement Stranger Things cards at you, in a single box I got these list cards and not-stranger things cards:

and the frequency of mythics is pretty decent too for the regular capenna cards. in one box I got 2 foil mythics and a foil showcase giada in addition to the regular mythics. not bad at all, though the foiling on the three of them is...muted, at best

triome frequency seems to be between 2-4 per box, based on opening two boxes, but I'll be cracking the rest of the case and will report back.

I got a bit less lucky with multiple copy’s of the same mythics. Overall happy with my first pack opening experience.

I was not prepared for the sheer amount of cards you get and need to figure out a way to store them now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I was not prepared for the sheer amount of cards you get and need to figure out a way to store them now.

cardboard trading card boxes are pretty cheap and easy storage

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Having opened a few packs i agree that the gilded foil effect on the golden age frames look really striking, the list is much more rewarding too. I presume they will lower the secret lair card frequency at some stage and I hope they stick to a smaller list with less chaff. I managed to pull a twilight prophet and 2 OG Urabrasks.

The art deco etched foils look poo poo though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

That's pretty neat.

now, if only there was a gilded foil I cared about.

I thought you would be a Giada stan for sure

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I thought you would be a Giada stan for sure

I didn't think she got one!?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Giada doesn't, no. It's only the golden age showcase frames that have gilded foils.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Giada doesn't, no. It's only the golden age showcase frames that have gilded foils.

Nuts.
She was actually the first one I looked for when I saw the picture of the guilded foils

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

For some reason one showcase frame isn't enough anymore. SNC has golden age, art deco and skyscraper showcase frames.

Plus borderless.

Plus extended art.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Dysgenesis posted:

For some reason one showcase frame isn't enough anymore. SNC has golden age, art deco and skyscraper showcase frames.

Plus borderless.

Plus extended art.

Welcome to "booster fun"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
All this booster fun is pretty FIRE

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i feel like cosmetic variety is one of the few things that literally doesn't matter if you're not interested in it? if you don't give a poo poo about any of the fancy versions of any cards, you don't have to touch them (and you actually make out better because the base versions get cheaper)

like, it's a little silly that so many exist but also there's certainly cards by artists that i'd much rather there be alternate versions out there for

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It can be hard to keep track of everything that exists, but at least it's not the era where every single card was generic fantasy in exactly the same style

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dysgenesis posted:

Plus borderless.

Plus extended art.

Ya it rocks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought they went away from this in the 90's?
Fallen Empires I remember had 4 arts.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i feel like cosmetic variety is one of the few things that literally doesn't matter if you're not interested in it? if you don't give a poo poo about any of the fancy versions of any cards, you don't have to touch them (and you actually make out better because the base versions get cheaper)

like, it's a little silly that so many exist but also there's certainly cards by artists that i'd much rather there be alternate versions out there for

I feel like you could port the cosmetic-only microtransaction model from video games to TCGs and have it be an acceptable middle ground between wanting to make money and wanting to make the game financially accessible

Like just make every single card available to buy directly from the publisher, but it's only regular art non-foil versions. make it so you can only find foils and alt arts in booster packs. so the basic game pieces are strictly price controlled and accessible but people can still pay for pretty sparkly cardboard

it's frustratingly simple but it's never going to happen with magic because their model is already well established. I would just like to see a tcg that has an acceptable level of greed baked into it and how it would perform. the difficult part is making a game engine as compelling as mtg's

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

kalel posted:

I feel like you could port the cosmetic-only microtransaction model from video games to TCGs and have it be an acceptable middle ground between wanting to make money and wanting to make the game financially accessible

Like just make every single card available to buy directly from the publisher, but it's only regular art non-foil versions. make it so you can only find foils and alt arts in booster packs. so the basic game pieces are strictly price controlled and accessible but people can still pay for pretty sparkly cardboard

it's frustratingly simple but it's never going to happen with magic because their model is already well established. I would just like to see a tcg that has an acceptable level of greed baked into it and how it would perform. the difficult part is making a game engine as compelling as mtg's

that was the model with netrunner IIRC

rip netrunner :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you could definitely do that with a game built from the ground up today (seconding the rip to netrunner) but i doubt wotc will ever make the choice to kill LGSes and the rest of the secondary market like that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
LGS having a display case full of singles is free advertising for the game.
The whole "LGS as space to play" model understood that just having a lot of magic cards out and being used was good for sales.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

LGS having a display case full of singles is free advertising for the game.
The whole "LGS as space to play" model understood that just having a lot of magic cards out and being used was good for sales.

Yes this makes the lgs money, which is why the lgs doesnt want wotc to sell singles directly

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
"a play space" does not get an lgs where they need to be financially lmao. every single person lives in a loving "play space", the reason an lgs makes a better one is because they also carry product so its a case of convenience. if they are no longer are the ideal place to buy product, the fact that theyre a play space doesnt matter

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yes this makes the lgs money, which is why the lgs doesnt want wotc to sell singles directly

And wotc doesn't sell those cards at a loss. If the LGS is making money selling cards, wotc is also making money selling cards.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I wonder if mtg will ever do the numbered x/100 type cards that other collectibles do. I get there aren’t jerseys and autographs to be slung around, but opening mtg packs has a limit to the lottery, even with all these different versions currently running around.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

And wotc doesn't sell those cards at a loss. If the LGS is making money selling cards, wotc is also making money selling cards.

Oh you do understand why lgs dont want wotc to sell cards directly, sorry your post made it seem like you didnt

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

meanolmrcloud posted:

I wonder if mtg will ever do the numbered x/100 type cards that other collectibles do. I get there aren’t jerseys and autographs to be slung around, but opening mtg packs has a limit to the lottery, even with all these different versions currently running around.

Yes: Mirrored secret lair inserts.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Red Ink Hidetsugu is already this, there's probably like 20 of them total they're so rare (not a real number, just exaggerating).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hey so do y'all remember a little while ago when a bunch of people were giving Hoot poo poo for pointing out that a spoiled card didn't work under existing rules, saying they would obviously change the rules with the set release to make the card function?

Well it turns out there's a case in this set where they did not in fact do that at all: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/ug2umm/as_worded_henzie_toolbox_torre_doesnt_actually/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't see how the two are connected

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Hey so do y'all remember a little while ago when a bunch of people were giving Hoot poo poo for pointing out that a spoiled card didn't work under existing rules, saying they would obviously change the rules with the set release to make the card function?

Well it turns out there's a case in this set where they did not in fact do that at all: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/ug2umm/as_worded_henzie_toolbox_torre_doesnt_actually/

ah so that's why judgingftw's most recent video blew up lol

also the two things you mentioned are not related in the slightest.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

GonSmithe posted:

Red Ink Hidetsugu is already this, there's probably like 20 of them total they're so rare (not a real number, just exaggerating).

Yea, but it’s not well known or flashy enough. For as much as I hate the collectible market in general, and don’t even give a poo poo about any sports, there is absolutely a certain allure to watching randos crack baseball packs on tiktok because they could get a mega rare 1/5 double jersey bat auto rookie. A video of a dude cracking modern horizons has none of that thrill, even if they open a chase foil mythic. Wotc has got to be looking for a way to crank up that excitement, and it’s not like they could make mechanically unique cards at that rarity, so it’s all upside.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i don't see how the two are connected

Because it's the exact same kind of thing. A card was printed that does not work as written under the current comprehensive rules.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

but everyone in that thread agrees that the card works the way everyone thinks it works, even without the official errata being out, which was sort of the original point

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What a hoot of a situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nobody in that original argument (including hoot) thought that there wasn't an issue with the rules but the card was still supposed to work as read; people were just frustrated at how pedantic the point being made was