Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea I'm pretty sure BN is just a badass guy in this show. He's scarred as gently caress, so maybe his healing factor is a bit more like Deadpool than wolverine.

Mostly, he probably doesn't have time for all that behind the scenes crap, cause he's got his tea time :colbert:

I have no mouth and I must tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think the black noir twist in the comics kind of sucks and i hope they avoid it entirely, except for maybe giving us a badass Black Noir vs. Homelander fight, independent of any goofy reveals like that

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I wonder if Soldier Boy is the contingency and that's why he's getting thawed out.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Isn't their contingency plan for dealing with Homelander the exact same as the show Invincible: hope that his son grows up to be an equally powerful version but no a complete psychopath?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

If they go that direction would they also go all the way and (late-run Invincible spoilers) have Homelander do a redemption arc and make amends with everyone?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Chemtrailologist posted:

Isn't their contingency plan for dealing with Homelander the exact same as the show Invincible: hope that his son grows up to be an equally powerful version but no a complete psychopath?

Nah. I mean since we know about his kid I'm sure it's somewhere in the cards, but the plan is basically play to his ego. If he can't be worshipped by millions it would break him. He'd feel worthless, and his existence would be pointless. Remember the season ender? "If you release that, I'll kill everyone...". Not "everyone you love" or "everyone you know", but literally everyone.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Aye Doc posted:

i think the black noir twist in the comics kind of sucks and i hope they avoid it entirely, except for maybe giving us a badass Black Noir vs. Homelander fight, independent of any goofy reveals like that

Yeah that was an awful twist, I'm glad to the show isn't going that way. I remember some readers online predicting that twist and others dismissing it as nonsense. Ugh.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The comic final fight between homelander was my most favourite part of the entire sordid affair.

But the show can’t pull that off because it hinges on a lame twist,if they could make up or switch a character for the big bust up that could work.

I just want to see rictus grinned shambling corpse homelander that poo poo was horrifying.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

As a minor laugh: I was reading an article the other day that described Homelander as a "Superhero cum villain" with absolutely awareness on their choice of phrasing. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta say I'm getting pumped for season 3 but I really hope (comic spoiler for a major character death) Maeve doesn't end up getting her head punched off by Homelander. She's had a great arc in the series thus far and the actress is selling the hell out of it, and I'd really hate for it to end in such a dumb nihlistic wet fart.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I gotta say I'm getting pumped for season 3 but I really hope (comic spoiler for a major character death) Maeve doesn't end up getting her head punched off by Homelander. She's had a great arc in the series thus far and the actress is selling the hell out of it, and I'd really hate for it to end in such a dumb nihlistic wet fart.

heckin same. basically all of the poo poo the comic does to wind down its stories, the show should not, imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Season 2 was such a massive departure from the books that I really don’t think we’re in danger of the edgelord 2000’s bullshit tanking the show

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Professor Beetus posted:

the thing I like about the show a lot is that it keeps Ennis' really good big ideas intact and ruthlessly edits out all his stupid bullshit

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The short with Nubian prince and Nubia was great.
"Where'd your accent go?"
"Girl, I'm from Bakersfield!"

And Groundhawk was so horribly outmatched by the two of them. He's a non flying bird themed villain with hammers for hands. It's like a stage 1 boss fight in a beat em up game!

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
He's a Wolverine parody so of course he'd be the worst at what he does.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Season 3 trailer is finally out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFRCFfw9_4

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Hells yeah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So many bodies exploding

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Aww yiss gonna be another EXPLOSIVE season im sure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So loving :stoked:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh huh, having the "temporary" V is a pretty nice compromise of having both some of the fun comic moments without permanently upsetting the overall story dynamic.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
2 weeks this Friday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
…was that Tek Knight? :mildpanic:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I almost wish I didn't watch that because I feel like it gave away far too much of the plot vs the teaser earlier.

'Almost' being the key word, let's get hyyyyyyyype

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Part of me is hoping they drop all the episodes at once, but the other part enjoys the weekly episode format where I have time to ponder what in the blue gently caress happened.

I guess what I'm saying is it's gonna be a long couple weeks.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'd like what they did last season, a few episodes at once and then weekly releases. If it all hits at once I feel like there's much less to discuss since there's no waiting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They didn’t sandbag the show’s 3rd season this hard to batch drop the whole thing at once

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

After Homelander slow-burned one episode at a time and allowed time for the word of mouth to make it a huge success I imagine steaming shows are going to be steering clear of dropping a whole show all at once. Three to start and then one a week makes perfect sense - give enough content to jump start the word of mouth then leave time for it to grow.

Requires the show to be good though to work

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tom Tucker posted:

After Homelander slow-burned one episode at a time and allowed time for the word of mouth to make it a huge success I imagine steaming shows are going to be steering clear of dropping a whole show all at once. Three to start and then one a week makes perfect sense - give enough content to jump start the word of mouth then leave time for it to grow.

Requires the show to be good though to work

That certainly seems to be the direction streaming services are going, and it makes sense. 3 episodes is enough to get people invested, whereas any show without a major hook for S1E1 risks losing its audience up front. I think Netflix is also realizing that the strategy of "release everything on the same day" makes it too easy for people to pause their subscription for 11 months, wait for 2-3 shows they enjoy to come out, binge them over a 30 day period, then pause again. That's still entirely doable but you miss out on the real-time conversations about the show itself.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I just started rewatching from the beginning today and god drat this show owns

It's also been long enough that I forgot some stuff

I'm still in season 1 right now and it's cool seeing things I missed, like The Boys taking Translucent to a Tony Cicero's. I remember that's the same place Homelander left Butcher in season 2 but I missed that it was the same restaurant in season 1

I also like the hints at stuff they did in season 2

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think Netflix is also realizing that the strategy of "release everything on the same day" makes it too easy for people to pause their subscription for 11 months, wait for 2-3 shows they enjoy to come out, binge them over a 30 day period, then pause again. That's still entirely doable but you miss out on the real-time conversations about the show itself.

Also, there’s an issue where their shows fall off the radar incredibly quickly because they all drop at once. There’s no ongoing word of mouth to drum up excitement.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The bit with Soldier Boy going nuts with the shield seemed very similar to USAgent doing the same thing in Falcon&Winter Soldier. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration.

Also it feels like we had already hit bedrock on "Homelander goes crazy". In the season 2 previews we saw him laser a protestor into mist.

I do wonder if it's even the same Black Noir. A mute masked supe seems pretty easy to replace in the event of an unfortunate Snickers moment.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Also it feels like we had already hit bedrock on "Homelander goes crazy". In the season 2 previews we saw him laser a protestor into mist.

Yeah I remember that being a cheap fake out fantasy sequence. The show's not going there until it's ready to shift to a dramatically different status quo.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Panfilo posted:

I do wonder if it's even the same Black Noir. A mute masked supe seems pretty easy to replace in the event of an unfortunate Snickers moment.

That's how they'll sneak in the clone twist

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Sure, but can you find another one that can play the piano?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

The bit with Soldier Boy going nuts with the shield seemed very similar to USAgent doing the same thing in Falcon&Winter Soldier. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration.

Almond Joy or Mounds :colbert:

It's a tree nut allergy. Peanuts grow underground and are considered a legume.

Details matter when you are gonna try to take down a supe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Also, there’s an issue where their shows fall off the radar incredibly quickly because they all drop at once. There’s no ongoing word of mouth to drum up excitement.

they release some shows a bit at a time, but it's usually reality shows that only specific folks are gonna talk about and it's the kind of stuff that's quickly consumed and discarded.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nowadays Netflix splits big shows into two releases to get at least two months of of people.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finished my rewatch of season 1 last night. Gonna start season 2 tomorrow. The wait for season 3 is gonna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32YM20mNxIM